· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 05-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
Pray To Jesus
Diamond Member

Default Why did this gen of console go on for so long?

People don't care about progress anymore?
Pray To Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
jpiniero
Golden Member

The economy mainly. MS losing a billion+ on repairing 360s is a big factor too.
jpiniero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
alent1234
Diamond Member

graphics are good enough for most people and after 30 some years of the same basic hardware and game design people are ready for something more. this is why kinect is pretty popular
alent1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Sulaco
Platinum Member

It's really not THAT much longer, people just have a warped sense of time on the internet when it comes to technology and want everything right now.

PSX-->PS2 = 6 years
PS2-->PS3= 6 years

Xbox--->Xbox 360 = 4 years (the original Xbox struggled against the PS2)
N64--->Gamecube = 5 years
Gamecube--->Wii = 5 years

...we're on track for 7 years, assuming the next gens come out 2013 (which they almost assuredly will).
Yes, that's the longest so far between mainstream consoles, but really only by about a year.
Sulaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
KentState
Diamond Member

This generation was built for longevity and online play from the beginning. Progress isn't always about shiny graphics which really can only get marginally better when selling a box for $400 even if released today.
KentState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
Slick5150
Diamond Member

The development costs for both hardware and software devs is astronomically higher these days vs 10 years ago. It doesn't make economic sense to push new hardware out as often, even with the desire to be the first one to market with the "next gen" console.
Slick5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
jpiniero
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulaco View Post
...we're on track for 7 years, assuming the next gens come out 2013 (which they almost assuredly will).
8 actually. The 360 was released in 2005.
jpiniero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
zerocool84
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpiniero View Post
8 actually. The 360 was released in 2005.
Exactly, 8 years is a long time. Too long for a new console.
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
Skel
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulaco View Post
It's really not THAT much longer, people just have a warped sense of time on the internet when it comes to technology and want everything right now.

PSX-->PS2 = 6 years
PS2-->PS3= 6 years

Xbox--->Xbox 360 = 4 years (the original Xbox struggled against the PS2)
N64--->Gamecube = 5 years
Gamecube--->Wii = 5 years

Yes, that's the longest so far between mainstream consoles, but really only by about a year.
Not sure about the time, but people do have a warped sense of tech thanks to the internet. They expect everything to be updated and outdated within months of release. Take a look at the mobile forum and see people bitching about phone specs. People seem to expect the specs to be drastically updated every few months (phones and consoles) otherwise itís old and outdated. Even if itís still pumping out a rich user experience. Personally, while I do look forward to the next version of the consoles, Iím still enjoying my games enough to really be concerned about a hardware refresh.

Xbox tag: Skel Re
Skel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
TheVrolok
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skel View Post
Not sure about the time, but people do have a warped sense of tech thanks to the internet. They expect everything to be updated and outdated within months of release. Take a look at the mobile forum and see people bitching about phone specs. People seem to expect the specs to be drastically updated every few months (phones and consoles) otherwise itís old and outdated. Even if itís still pumping out a rich user experience. Personally, while I do look forward to the next version of the consoles, Iím still enjoying my games enough to really be concerned about a hardware refresh.
Agreed. I can't imagine enjoying games on a PS4 that much more than I'm currently enjoying myself with my PS3.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
zerocool84
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVrolok View Post
Agreed. I can't imagine enjoying games on a PS4 that much more than I'm currently enjoying myself with my PS3.
People always say that but we definitely need new consoles soon. Current consoles are so damn long in the tooth. Newer powerful consoles usually mean you can do more, fit more gaming into the same space. New gaming experiences.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
KentState
Diamond Member

Quote:
Same here. I don't want to pay $400+ for a new system to gain an incremental change to graphics. Don't know if the difference between 720 and 1080p is worth the cost. I'd rather skip to 4k in about 5 years.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #13
TheVrolok
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool84 View Post
New gaming experiences.
Meh, aside from increased graphical abilities, I'm not seeing the huge allure of new consoles. New gaming experiences? Like what? Seems like gaming (especially console) has been rinse and repeat for quite some time now.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
zebrax2

Quote:
Meh, aside from increased graphical abilities, I'm not seeing the huge allure of new consoles. New gaming experiences? Like what? Seems like gaming (especially console) has been rinse and repeat for quite some time now.
Improvement in game physics.
zebrax2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #15
BD2003
Lifer

Quote:
You'll know it when you see it. That moment when you see something that blows you away, and you just *have* to have it.

Its never, ever been a case of the public clamoring for new consoles. In fact, this is the only generation where I've seen even the slightest bit of that. Everyone is perfectly happy with their consoles, until the new ones make them look like a joke.

The closest thing we've had to one of those moments were the BF3 trailers that were produced on high end PCs from last year. The next gen of consoles will probably look even better. And that would just be the first round of games.

Gaming absolutely has been rinse and repeat, at least on the high budget side. New consoles are needed to break that cycle. New IPs, new experiences, new ideas.
BD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #16
zerocool84
Lifer

Quote:
That's like saying there should have been no new consoles after PS2 and Xbox.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #17
KentState
Diamond Member

Quote:
That went from standard def to high def which was a dramatic improvement. Going from what we have today to 1080p will not be enough. It will take something with GTX 580 graphic horsepower to really give us a significant boost while maintaining at least 60 fps. Try putting that along with a cpu, storage and controllers into a box that isn't $500+.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #18
TheVrolok
Lifer

Quote:
All I'm saying is that the upgrade from the PS2 to the PS3 was so massive, that the upgrade to a PS4 next year wouldn't be nearly as "gainful" regardless of how many years between systems.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #19
BD2003
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentState View Post
That went from standard def to high def which was a dramatic improvement. Going from what we have today to 1080p will not be enough. It will take something with GTX 580 graphic horsepower to really give us a significant boost while maintaining at least 60 fps. Try putting that along with a cpu, storage and controllers into a box that isn't $500+.
They did it in 2005, they can do it now.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #20
KentState
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD2003 View Post
They did it in 2005, they can do it now.
And they lost millions in doing that. Do you really think that MS or Sony want to put out that type of investment now? Just getting to 1080p at 60fps seems like only a quick fix and we would be back to complaining in 2-3 years max. If I'm going to throw $400 into a new system, I want something significantly better than what I have today, otherwise keep bringing out games on the current hardware.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #21
BD2003
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentState View Post
And they lost millions in doing that. Do you really think that MS or Sony want to put out that type of investment now? Just getting to 1080p at 60fps seems like only a quick fix and we would be back to complaining in 2-3 years max. If I'm going to throw $400 into a new system, I want something significantly better than what I have today, otherwise keep bringing out games on the current hardware.
It's an investment in the future. There's always costs up front. Doesn't mean they messed up.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #22
Tweak155
Diamond Member

I think the graphics at this point can only get *so* much better. It makes me wonder if the next console to be released will be it for a very long time. I personally think this long console cycle has been good for consoles in general, just bad for PC's. Why keep pumping out new hardware when you have a lot of capabilities in something that is 7 years old? Max it out then move on. We are just now reaching those max out points.

Heatware 92-0-0
Tweak155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #23
Baked
Lifer

My PS3 fatty is still going strong. I don't plan on upgrading to another machine any time soon. I can watch blu-ray movies and stream HD movies to my TV. I seldom play games anymore. Why would I want to waste $600 on a new system that does all the same thing with a different shell?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #24
Pr0d1gy
Diamond Member

They don't need to make new consoles because people keep running out and buying the current gen when theirs' break. Sales have dropped the last couple of years but there is still a pretty solid market for new console sales so there really isn't much motivation to move on.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #25
Oyeve
Lifer

I only want higher storage capabilities on whatever medium microsoft chooses for their next console. Swapping mutiple discs on the xbox 360 is a pita. Graphices on next-gen systems can only be marginally better than it is now. 720p/1080p are common now and going a solid 1080p on consoles will NOT make a game any better. Eyecandy can only go so far even now. We need good games, not higher resolution games. HW tech really hasnt change that drastically in the last few years that any developer can say "we didnt make that game 4 years ago because the tech wasnt there". The tech has been here for a while now, the games just got stupid. hell, I still play secret of monkey island 1 and 2. Those were/are great games that even with all the tech today cant match.