Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > Peripherals

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
KAZANI
Senior Member
 
KAZANI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Greece
Posts: 519
Default Why are screen sizes still measured in inches?

Why does the rest of the world have to catter to the silly measurement habits of the US consumer? Europe alone is a much larger market, yet manufacturers insist on an inch-based marketing scheme. It's not like updating to the metric system in this situation will be adding to any costs, either.
KAZANI is offline  
Old 05-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
Soundmanred
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Czelktik, Uzbenistaz
Posts: 10,655
Default

Dat's jus how we catter.
__________________
Nothing like doing a little meth and defending the honor of lions on the internet. NOTHING.
Soundmanred is offline  
Old 05-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
Anubis
No Lifer
 
Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Anger is a gift!
Posts: 73,972
Default

its really not hard to just multiply by 2.5
Anubis is offline  
Old 05-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
KAZANI
Senior Member
 
KAZANI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Greece
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
its really not hard to just multiply by 2.5
Exactly my point: Why is it the rest of the world obliged to multiply and not the US that has to divide? Is the US more important as a market than Europe, Japan, Korea, Canada and Australia COMBINED?
KAZANI is offline  
Old 05-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
techie81
Senior Member
 
techie81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAZANI View Post
Is the US more important as a market than Europe, Japan, Korea, Canada and Australia COMBINED?
yes.
techie81 is offline  
Old 05-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
corkyg
Moderator
Peripherals
 
corkyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 23,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie81 View Post
yes.
Yes again. What's to keep non-USA sellers from using cm in their marketing and ads?
__________________
CorkyG - Tucson, AZ

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
corkyg is offline  
Old 05-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
KAZANI
Senior Member
 
KAZANI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Greece
Posts: 519
Default

Model names usually contain the inches of the screen and this makes retailers's job of conveying metric dimensions through their marketing complicated. But you still don't address the core issue here: why do manufacturers cater only to the US market's quaintness? What makes the US market so compelling so as put the onus of conversion on the rest of the world's shoulders? If anything, it's the US minority that needs to be punished for dawdling with metric adoption.
KAZANI is offline  
Old 05-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
shingletingle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 976
Default

The USA is the #1 country in the world.
shingletingle is offline  
Old 05-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
Chapbass
Platinum Member
 
Chapbass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAZANI View Post
Why does the rest of the world have to catter to the silly measurement habits of the US consumer? Europe alone is a much larger market, yet manufacturers insist on an inch-based marketing scheme. It's not like updating to the metric system in this situation will be adding to any costs, either.
Just so the manufacturers can laugh at posts like these
__________________
Heatware
Chapbass is offline  
Old 05-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
SonicIce
Diamond Member
 
SonicIce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,774
Default

woo hoo USA! USA! thread backfire
__________________
every man can make for himself his own fate
SonicIce is offline  
Old 05-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
corkyg
Moderator
Peripherals
 
corkyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 23,947
Default

For openers, Kazani's premise is wrong. I just visited the Samsung Germany site, and all of their monitors have metric measurements. Look here . . .

http://www.samsung.com/de/consumer/t...evision/led-tv

This comes from the manufacturer, i.e., Samsung. Just click on a monitor and the specs are in German - and the first monitor is 138cm.
__________________
CorkyG - Tucson, AZ

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
corkyg is offline  
Old 05-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
brakteat
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 11
Default

Dell now present their screens for the Swedish market in cm, so my latest purchases of screens have been 76 cm and 61 cm respectively. However, the model numbers still represent inches, U3011 and U2412M. It would be reasonable to change this to U7611, U6112M and corresponding numbers in the future, because the majority of Dell's customers use the metric system.

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna...dt1&l=sv&s=bsd
brakteat is offline  
Old 05-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
Ben90
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakteat View Post
Dell now present their screens for the Swedish market in cm, so my latest purchases of screens have been 76 cm and 61 cm respectively. However, the model numbers still represent inches, U3011 and U2412M. It would be reasonable to change this to U7611, U6112M and corresponding numbers in the future, because the majority of Dell's customers use the metric system.
Maybe they should rename the i7-3770K as:
Intel 4 Core with HTT 3.5GHz Base 3.9GHz Turbo HD Graphics 4000 LGA 1155 77W
Ben90 is offline  
Old 05-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
gorcorps
aka Brandon
 
gorcorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South Bend
Posts: 25,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAZANI View Post
Exactly my point: Why is it the rest of the world obliged to multiply and not the US that has to divide?
You're not obligated... nothing is stopping the the companies from using other units in other countries.

In fact until this post I had no idea monitors were reported in inches world wide.

Suck it everybody!
__________________
-So sayeth Brandon, knower of things
360: GORcorps|||PS3: gorcorps|||Steam: gorcorps
HEATWARE
gorcorps is online now  
Old 05-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
bigsnyder
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 1,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAZANI View Post
Why does the rest of the world have to catter to the silly measurement habits of the US consumer? Europe alone is a much larger market, yet manufacturers insist on an inch-based marketing scheme. It's not like updating to the metric system in this situation will be adding to any costs, either.
Because Chuck Norris said so.
bigsnyder is offline  
Old 05-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #16
ultimatebob
Lifer
 
ultimatebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Connecticutistan
Posts: 16,619
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnyder View Post
Because Chuck Norris said so.
And Jack Bauer is backing him up

Seriously, though... All the tech sites that I go to pander to US interests and display sizes in inches... Even the ones in Taiwan and China.

It's good to be a world superpower, I guess... Although it will probably be the US's turn to pander to India and China soon.
ultimatebob is offline  
Old 05-06-2012, 03:38 AM   #17
Throckmorton
Lifer
 
Throckmorton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 16,796
Default

Because people are used to measurements. You know what a 19" monitor looks like, and you know what a 24" monitor looks like. Why switch to metric? Who would it benefit? The people who take out a measuring tape every time they hear a monitor size number? It has nothing to do with metric vs imperial.
__________________
K&N air filter = 45x as much dirt in your engine (working link)
http://i52.tinypic.com/50lf0y.gif
"It has already been proven that the concept of a "living wage" is a liberal fantasy." - Patranus
Throckmorton is offline  
Old 05-06-2012, 03:39 AM   #18
Throckmorton
Lifer
 
Throckmorton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 16,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatebob View Post
And Jack Bauer is backing him up

Seriously, though... All the tech sites that I go to pander to US interests and display sizes in inches... Even the ones in Taiwan and China.

It's good to be a world superpower, I guess... Although it will probably be the US's turn to pander to India and China soon.
Because those are the increments. Do you expect a company to stamp 50.8cm on their product package?

Are bra sizes in France in cm instead of inches?
__________________
K&N air filter = 45x as much dirt in your engine (working link)
http://i52.tinypic.com/50lf0y.gif
"It has already been proven that the concept of a "living wage" is a liberal fantasy." - Patranus
Throckmorton is offline  
Old 05-06-2012, 05:11 AM   #19
greenhawk
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,896
Default

might as well ask why keep using diagonal size when as screens get a higher ratio for wide screen, the same diagonal has less actual screen realestate.

but then might as well point out HDD makers still using a base 10 to report a drive size with windows using base 2
greenhawk is offline  
Old 05-06-2012, 05:49 AM   #20
KAZANI
Senior Member
 
KAZANI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Greece
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkyg View Post
For openers, Kazani's premise is wrong. I just visited the Samsung Germany site, and all of their monitors have metric measurements. Look here . . .

http://www.samsung.com/de/consumer/t...evision/led-tv

This comes from the manufacturer, i.e., Samsung. Just click on a monitor and the specs are in German - and the first monitor is 138cm.
LOL, double units is a relatively new thing and is of little consequence on a practical level. The naming scheme is still in inches and retailers can't effectively use it to push metric throughout the board. If you are being honest then you wouldn't mind if the US market would be the one that had to deal with metric naming and double reporting of units, for a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post
Because people are used to measurements. You know what a 19" monitor looks like, and you know what a 24" monitor looks like. Why switch to metric? Who would it benefit? The people who take out a measuring tape every time they hear a monitor size number?
It's not like that at all and if it was you wouldn't go out of your way to defend your right to stick to your imperial system. I can maybe have a vague idea of which monitor is larger but on a practical level it's a nuisance because I cannot fathom the unit you are using without some effort. You guys are hilarious in trying to pretend that there is nothing wrong with the current situation. You are avoiding the core issue here: Why should the rest of the world be the one that has to do the conversion instead of the US? There is no logic in it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post
Because those are the increments. Do you expect a company to stamp 50.8cm on their product package?
No, but I think making a 51cm screen labeling it with 51 somewhere in the model name and then letting the US market do the sorting in friggin inches would be the fair approach.


Quote:
Are bra sizes in France in cm instead of inches?
Don't even start me on this, the amount of nonsensical measurements that still plague our markets because of the US is obscene.
KAZANI is offline  
Old 05-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #21
Ben90
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,823
Default

Kazani,也不是一個偽君子和交流使用中文。是絕對沒有理由,大多數人應該有迎合少數。
Ben90 is offline  
Old 05-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #22
Throckmorton
Lifer
 
Throckmorton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 16,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAZANI View Post
LOL, double units is a relatively new thing and is of little consequence on a practical level. The naming scheme is still in inches and retailers can't effectively use it to push metric throughout the board. If you are being honest then you wouldn't mind if the US market would be the one that had to deal with metric naming and double reporting of units, for a change.



It's not like that at all and if it was you wouldn't go out of your way to defend your right to stick to your imperial system. I can maybe have a vague idea of which monitor is larger but on a practical level it's a nuisance because I cannot fathom the unit you are using without some effort. You guys are hilarious in trying to pretend that there is nothing wrong with the current situation. You are avoiding the core issue here: Why should the rest of the world be the one that has to do the conversion instead of the US? There is no logic in it.




No, but I think making a 51cm screen labeling it with 51 somewhere in the model name and then letting the US market do the sorting in friggin inches would be the fair approach.




Don't even start me on this, the amount of nonsensical measurements that still plague our markets because of the US is obscene.
The manufacturing is all set up for the standard sizes. They'd have to start making both 51cm and 20" monitors which would cost more!

BTW, it's not US vs the rest of the world. I'm from Trinidad and people use imperial units for everyday stuff. When you say 51cm, I have to think about how many inches that is.
__________________
K&N air filter = 45x as much dirt in your engine (working link)
http://i52.tinypic.com/50lf0y.gif
"It has already been proven that the concept of a "living wage" is a liberal fantasy." - Patranus
Throckmorton is offline  
Old 05-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #23
KAZANI
Senior Member
 
KAZANI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Greece
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post
The manufacturing is all set up for the standard sizes. They'd have to start making both 51cm and 20" monitors which would cost more!
I've already answered that argument above. We are going in circles here because you people are just unable to accept a world that doesn't revolve around the US market.

Quote:
BTW, it's not US vs the rest of the world. I'm from Trinidad and people use imperial units for everyday stuff. When you say 51cm, I have to think about how many inches that is.
LOL, if it makes you feel any better, it's the US and Trinidad vs the rest of the world.
KAZANI is offline  
Old 05-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #24
Raswan
Senior Member
 
Raswan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkyg View Post
For openers, Kazani's premise is wrong. I just visited the Samsung Germany site, and all of their monitors have metric measurements. Look here . . .

http://www.samsung.com/de/consumer/t...evision/led-tv

This comes from the manufacturer, i.e., Samsung. Just click on a monitor and the specs are in German - and the first monitor is 138cm.
Boom. Roasted.
Raswan is offline  
Old 05-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #25
Raswan
Senior Member
 
Raswan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAZANI View Post
I've already answered that argument above. We are going in circles here because you people are just unable to accept a world that doesn't revolve around the US market.



LOL, if it makes you feel any better, it's the US and Trinidad vs the rest of the world.

We're going in circles because nobody cares what you have to say. Plus, we wouldn't even be having this conversation if your economy hadn't tanked after WWII and forced us to intervene just to save you from the commies. Weren't for us, you'd be speaking Russian right now. Argument=subverted.
Raswan is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
metric

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.