· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
KAZANI

Default Why are screen sizes still measured in inches?

Why does the rest of the world have to catter to the silly measurement habits of the US consumer? Europe alone is a much larger market, yet manufacturers insist on an inch-based marketing scheme. It's not like updating to the metric system in this situation will be adding to any costs, either.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
Soundmanred
Lifer

Dat's jus how we catter.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
Anubis
No Lifer

its really not hard to just multiply by 2.5
Old 05-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
KAZANI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
its really not hard to just multiply by 2.5
Exactly my point: Why is it the rest of the world obliged to multiply and not the US that has to divide? Is the US more important as a market than Europe, Japan, Korea, Canada and Australia COMBINED?
Old 05-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
techie81

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAZANI View Post
Is the US more important as a market than Europe, Japan, Korea, Canada and Australia COMBINED?
yes.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
corkyg
Peripherals

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie81 View Post
yes.
Yes again. What's to keep non-USA sellers from using cm in their marketing and ads?

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
Old 05-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
KAZANI

Model names usually contain the inches of the screen and this makes retailers's job of conveying metric dimensions through their marketing complicated. But you still don't address the core issue here: why do manufacturers cater only to the US market's quaintness? What makes the US market so compelling so as put the onus of conversion on the rest of the world's shoulders? If anything, it's the US minority that needs to be punished for dawdling with metric adoption.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
shingletingle

The USA is the #1 country in the world.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
Chapbass
Platinum Member

Quote:
Why does the rest of the world have to catter to the silly measurement habits of the US consumer? Europe alone is a much larger market, yet manufacturers insist on an inch-based marketing scheme. It's not like updating to the metric system in this situation will be adding to any costs, either.
Just so the manufacturers can laugh at posts like these
Old 05-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
SonicIce
Diamond Member

woo hoo USA! USA! thread backfire
Old 05-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
corkyg
Peripherals

For openers, Kazani's premise is wrong. I just visited the Samsung Germany site, and all of their monitors have metric measurements. Look here . . .

http://www.samsung.com/de/consumer/t...evision/led-tv

This comes from the manufacturer, i.e., Samsung. Just click on a monitor and the specs are in German - and the first monitor is 138cm.

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
Old 05-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
brakteat

Dell now present their screens for the Swedish market in cm, so my latest purchases of screens have been 76 cm and 61 cm respectively. However, the model numbers still represent inches, U3011 and U2412M. It would be reasonable to change this to U7611, U6112M and corresponding numbers in the future, because the majority of Dell's customers use the metric system.

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna...dt1&l=sv&s=bsd
Old 05-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
Ben90
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakteat View Post
Dell now present their screens for the Swedish market in cm, so my latest purchases of screens have been 76 cm and 61 cm respectively. However, the model numbers still represent inches, U3011 and U2412M. It would be reasonable to change this to U7611, U6112M and corresponding numbers in the future, because the majority of Dell's customers use the metric system.
Maybe they should rename the i7-3770K as:
Intel 4 Core with HTT 3.5GHz Base 3.9GHz Turbo HD Graphics 4000 LGA 1155 77W
Old 05-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
gorcorps
aka Brandon

Quote:
Exactly my point: Why is it the rest of the world obliged to multiply and not the US that has to divide?
You're not obligated... nothing is stopping the the companies from using other units in other countries.

In fact until this post I had no idea monitors were reported in inches world wide.

Suck it everybody!
Old 05-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
bigsnyder
Golden Member

Quote:
Because Chuck Norris said so.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #16
ultimatebob
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnyder View Post
Because Chuck Norris said so.
And Jack Bauer is backing him up

Seriously, though... All the tech sites that I go to pander to US interests and display sizes in inches... Even the ones in Taiwan and China.

It's good to be a world superpower, I guess... Although it will probably be the US's turn to pander to India and China soon.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:38 AM   #17
Throckmorton
Lifer

Because people are used to measurements. You know what a 19" monitor looks like, and you know what a 24" monitor looks like. Why switch to metric? Who would it benefit? The people who take out a measuring tape every time they hear a monitor size number? It has nothing to do with metric vs imperial.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:39 AM   #18
Throckmorton
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatebob View Post
And Jack Bauer is backing him up

Seriously, though... All the tech sites that I go to pander to US interests and display sizes in inches... Even the ones in Taiwan and China.

It's good to be a world superpower, I guess... Although it will probably be the US's turn to pander to India and China soon.
Because those are the increments. Do you expect a company to stamp 50.8cm on their product package?

Are bra sizes in France in cm instead of inches?
Old 05-06-2012, 05:11 AM   #19
greenhawk
Golden Member

might as well ask why keep using diagonal size when as screens get a higher ratio for wide screen, the same diagonal has less actual screen realestate.

but then might as well point out HDD makers still using a base 10 to report a drive size with windows using base 2
Old 05-06-2012, 05:49 AM   #20
KAZANI

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkyg View Post
For openers, Kazani's premise is wrong. I just visited the Samsung Germany site, and all of their monitors have metric measurements. Look here . . .

This comes from the manufacturer, i.e., Samsung. Just click on a monitor and the specs are in German - and the first monitor is 138cm.
LOL, double units is a relatively new thing and is of little consequence on a practical level. The naming scheme is still in inches and retailers can't effectively use it to push metric throughout the board. If you are being honest then you wouldn't mind if the US market would be the one that had to deal with metric naming and double reporting of units, for a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post
Because people are used to measurements. You know what a 19" monitor looks like, and you know what a 24" monitor looks like. Why switch to metric? Who would it benefit? The people who take out a measuring tape every time they hear a monitor size number?
It's not like that at all and if it was you wouldn't go out of your way to defend your right to stick to your imperial system. I can maybe have a vague idea of which monitor is larger but on a practical level it's a nuisance because I cannot fathom the unit you are using without some effort. You guys are hilarious in trying to pretend that there is nothing wrong with the current situation. You are avoiding the core issue here: Why should the rest of the world be the one that has to do the conversion instead of the US? There is no logic in it.

Quote:
Because those are the increments. Do you expect a company to stamp 50.8cm on their product package?
No, but I think making a 51cm screen labeling it with 51 somewhere in the model name and then letting the US market do the sorting in friggin inches would be the fair approach.

Quote:
Are bra sizes in France in cm instead of inches?
Don't even start me on this, the amount of nonsensical measurements that still plague our markets because of the US is obscene.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #21
Ben90
Platinum Member

Kazani,也不是一個偽君子和交流使用中文。是絕對沒有理由,大多數人應該有迎合少數。
Old 05-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #22
Throckmorton
Lifer

Quote:
LOL, double units is a relatively new thing and is of little consequence on a practical level. The naming scheme is still in inches and retailers can't effectively use it to push metric throughout the board. If you are being honest then you wouldn't mind if the US market would be the one that had to deal with metric naming and double reporting of units, for a change.

It's not like that at all and if it was you wouldn't go out of your way to defend your right to stick to your imperial system. I can maybe have a vague idea of which monitor is larger but on a practical level it's a nuisance because I cannot fathom the unit you are using without some effort. You guys are hilarious in trying to pretend that there is nothing wrong with the current situation. You are avoiding the core issue here: Why should the rest of the world be the one that has to do the conversion instead of the US? There is no logic in it.

No, but I think making a 51cm screen labeling it with 51 somewhere in the model name and then letting the US market do the sorting in friggin inches would be the fair approach.

Don't even start me on this, the amount of nonsensical measurements that still plague our markets because of the US is obscene.
The manufacturing is all set up for the standard sizes. They'd have to start making both 51cm and 20" monitors which would cost more!

BTW, it's not US vs the rest of the world. I'm from Trinidad and people use imperial units for everyday stuff. When you say 51cm, I have to think about how many inches that is.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #23
KAZANI

Quote:
The manufacturing is all set up for the standard sizes. They'd have to start making both 51cm and 20" monitors which would cost more!
I've already answered that argument above. We are going in circles here because you people are just unable to accept a world that doesn't revolve around the US market.

Quote:
BTW, it's not US vs the rest of the world. I'm from Trinidad and people use imperial units for everyday stuff. When you say 51cm, I have to think about how many inches that is.
LOL, if it makes you feel any better, it's the US and Trinidad vs the rest of the world.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #24
Raswan

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkyg View Post

Boom. Roasted.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #25
Raswan

Quote:
I've already answered that argument above. We are going in circles here because you people are just unable to accept a world that doesn't revolve around the US market.

LOL, if it makes you feel any better, it's the US and Trinidad vs the rest of the world.

We're going in circles because nobody cares what you have to say. Plus, we wouldn't even be having this conversation if your economy hadn't tanked after WWII and forced us to intervene just to save you from the commies. Weren't for us, you'd be speaking Russian right now. Argument=subverted.
Closed Thread

Tags
metric