· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
jjyiz28
Banned

Default how lenient is microsoft, reactivating windows 7

when building up a new PC which will use a different cpu/mobo/hd? im on the fence on buying windows 7 professional 64bit, but i dont want to buy it again if/when i get a new PC.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
seepy83
Platinum Member

If you buy a retail copy, you can re-use it as often as you want as long as it is uninstalled from your previous PC. If you buy an OEM copy, then the license is tied to the motherboard.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
MrWizzard
Platinum Member

A quick goggle search found me this article and graph, which explains it in more detail.

Here you go,

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/what-...licensing/1514
Old 05-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Anteaus
Golden Member

A OEM version is usually roughly half the price of the retail version. If you end up building another machine down the road, buying another OEM license will put you about what you would have spent for one retail license.

I personally would just get the OEM now and if you build a new machine down the road at that point you will decide either to get another Windows 7 OEM or go with Windows 8 or whatever the latest greatest is. Its the more flexible option, the theory being that in total you would have only spent as much as one retail license.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
jjyiz28
Banned

ahh ok.. so somelike like this on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q0T0LU

is retail correct? OEM would be just the DVD i assume ??

Last edited by jjyiz28; 05-02-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
Diogenes2
Platinum Member

I'm pretty sure ' System Builder' = OEM

Quote:
Product Description

From the Manufacturer

Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
jjyiz28
Banned

yea the retail is 100 more.. i heard you can sweet talk microsoft rep w/oem if you change out motherboard. like its locked to your current mobo and 3 years from now you get a brand new pc
Old 05-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
yinan
Golden Member

Most of the time you wont have a problem. Worst case is you have to dial up and activate it manually.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
seepy83
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjyiz28 View Post
yea the retail is 100 more.. i heard you can sweet talk microsoft rep w/oem if you change out motherboard. like its locked to your current mobo and 3 years from now you get a brand new pc
If you "sweet talk" a Microsoft rep to allow a second OEM activation on a new machine at a later date, then you are pirating the software. It is against the licensing agreement. This is a legal and ethical issue that you need to decide your stance on...it is not a question of whether or not it can technically be done.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #10
Nothinman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjyiz28 View Post
That's the point of the OEM discount. You get a cheaper license because there's no MS support (you're supposed to call the OEM, in this case you) and it's tied to the PC with which it was sold. As seepy83 said, if you talk MS into letting you activate the same license on a new motherboard you're violating the license and effectively using pirated software.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
Chaotic42
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothinman View Post
That's the point of the OEM discount. You get a cheaper license because there's no MS support (you're supposed to call the OEM, in this case you) and it's tied to the PC with which it was sold. As seepy83 said, if you talk MS into letting you activate the same license on a new motherboard you're violating the license and effectively using pirated software.
I don't see how it can be piracy if you have permission from Microsoft. Is it wrong? Probably, but since Microsoft controls the license, they can allow you to use it in a different way.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
Nothinman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic42 View Post
I don't see how it can be piracy if you have permission from Microsoft. Is it wrong? Probably, but since Microsoft controls the license, they can allow you to use it in a different way.
Primarily because a single phone operator for MS can't change the terms of the agreement so you don't really have permission from Microsoft. And if you call and say "I have this OEM license I'm trying to activate on a new PC, can you give me a code?" I bet they will say no.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
jjyiz28
Banned

whawt exactly would you say? MS doesn't keep a record for all the license keys?
Old 05-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #14
MagnusTheBrewer
Lifer

In practice, I can tell you that MS is very lenient with activations. Whenever I've been unable to reactivate online when upgrading or building a new box for a client, I've just told them the previous MB died and I was replacing it. They've always been very helpful.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #15
Nothinman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusTheBrewer View Post
In practice, I can tell you that MS is very lenient with activations. Whenever I've been unable to reactivate online when upgrading or building a new box for a client, I've just told them the previous MB died and I was replacing it. They've always been very helpful.
It's not MS' fault if you fail to mention that it's an OEM license you're reactivating and it's pretty much a whole new PC, that's called lying by omission.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #16
VirtualLarry
Lifer

Nothinman, what about all of those people that purchase an OEM license, to use on their OWN computer. Isn't that "against the license" just as much as re-activating an OEM license on a "new" machine? (Even though, if the mobo dies and you get a "replacement", they are supposed to re-activate for you.)
"DON'T BUY INTEL, they will send secret signals down the internet, which
will considerably slow down your computer". - SOFTengCOMPelec
Old 05-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
Chaotic42
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualLarry View Post
Nothinman, what about all of those people that purchase an OEM license, to use on their OWN computer. Isn't that "against the license" just as much as re-activating an OEM license on a "new" machine? (Even though, if the mobo dies and you get a "replacement", they are supposed to re-activate for you.)
Microsoft has said it's okay:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/is-it...microsoft/1561
-
Q: I build my own computers–mainly so I’ll know what’s in them and dont have to fool with the manufacturers’ alleged “tech support” while I’m in warranty. At some point in the future I’ll probably want to build one with Windows 7–when I do, do I qualify to use the “OEM System Builders” version or do I have to buy a retail copy?

A: Yes, you can buy the “OEM System Builders” version of Windows 7. Many online stores sell it.
-
Old 05-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
Nothinman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic42 View Post
Microsoft has said it's okay:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/is-it...microsoft/1561
-
Q: I build my own computers–mainly so I’ll know what’s in them and dont have to fool with the manufacturers’ alleged “tech support” while I’m in warranty. At some point in the future I’ll probably want to build one with Windows 7–when I do, do I qualify to use the “OEM System Builders” version or do I have to buy a retail copy?

A: Yes, you can buy the “OEM System Builders” version of Windows 7. Many online stores sell it.
-
I'm guessing MS decided it would be better to let those people save a little cash and get something than pirate it and get nothing. But the damage is already done and everyone seems confused as to the difference between the different licenses and the rights and restrictions that come with each of them.

And I didn't see anything in the article about transferring an OEM license, did I miss that part?
Old 05-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #19
Chaotic42
Lifer

Quote:
I'm guessing MS decided it would be better to let those people save a little cash and get something than pirate it and get nothing. But the damage is already done and everyone seems confused as to the difference between the different licenses and the rights and restrictions that come with each of them.

And I didn't see anything in the article about transferring an OEM license, did I miss that part?
No, sorry, I specifically meant that it was okay to use the OEM on your personal machine. If you get a new motherboard, transfer is out of the question unless you have specific permission from MS.

Edit: For some reason my post sounds dickish, that wasn't my intent. I blame it on it being the weekend.

Last edited by Chaotic42; 05-06-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #20
bruceb
Diamond Member

I am quite sure that Microsoft knows exactly what type of license you are trying to reactivate when you call in. Either by the serial code that got rejected or something. They may ask for the PID which would also tell them. But as mentioned, most of the time, they will help you reactivate. After all, parts die and need replacement and in the case of a mobo, you can't always get the same one.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #21
Nothinman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceb View Post
I am quite sure that Microsoft knows exactly what type of license you are trying to reactivate when you call in. Either by the serial code that got rejected or something. They may ask for the PID which would also tell them. But as mentioned, most of the time, they will help you reactivate. After all, parts die and need replacement and in the case of a mobo, you can't always get the same one.
Replacing a dead motherboard with a newer model is allowed because of that. But transferring the license to a whole new PC isn't.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #22
bononos
Platinum Member

The zdnet link says that in 2009 M$ has quietly changed it docs about OEM licensing to delete references to PC hobbyists/self build people for OEM copies so that means that OEM versions are not ok for someone who builds their own PC. Those M$ clowns didn't clean up all their docs so their guided website/ help websites still points people to OEM copies. The M$ spokesman told the author prior docs allowing hobbyists to install OEM versions were mistakes.

Quote:
Replacing a dead motherboard with a newer model is allowed because of that. But transferring the license to a whole new PC isn't.
Yeah but no one at M$ is going to know you've changed your monitor/casing/gfx card at the same time wink wink.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #23
Nothinman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bononos View Post
The zdnet link says that in 2009 M$ has quietly changed it docs about OEM licensing to delete references to PC hobbyists/self build people for OEM copies so that means that OEM versions are not ok for someone who builds their own PC. Those M$ clowns didn't clean up all their docs so their guided website/ help websites still points people to OEM copies. The M$ spokesman told the author prior docs allowing hobbyists to install OEM versions were mistakes.

Yeah but no one at M$ is going to know you've changed your monitor/casing/gfx card at the same time wink wink.
That moral decision is up to you, there's nothing I can really say that will convince anyone that piracy is bad. And on top of that, if you can afford a new monitor, case, video card, etc you can also afford <$100 for Win7 Home Premium, especially considering that you'll likely get 3+ years out of that one purchase. Maybe when you grow up and move out of your parents' basement you'll understand.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:27 AM   #24
bononos
Platinum Member

Quote:
That moral decision is up to you, there's nothing I can really say that will convince anyone that piracy is bad. And on top of that, if you can afford a new monitor, case, video card, etc you can also afford <$100 for Win7 Home Premium, especially considering that you'll likely get 3+ years out of that one purchase. Maybe when you grow up and move out of your parents' basement you'll understand.
You sound upset.
I wasn't suggesting piracy since Microsoft is clearly ambiguous at this point about OEM versions. Heck even the author of the zdnet article says he has no problem with home builders using OEM versions.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #25
Nothinman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bononos View Post
You sound upset.
I wasn't suggesting piracy since Microsoft is clearly ambiguous at this point about OEM versions. Heck even the author of the zdnet article says he has no problem with home builders using OEM versions.
I'm not upset at all. I just know that 99% of the time when a question like this is asked it's not for real education or clarification purposes, it's more for them to justify the decision they've already made. Whether that be to pirate the software outright or to violate the license in a way they feel that they're entitled. And this thread isn't about whether or not it's ok for an end user to buy an OEM license, that's obviously the case because all of the online retailers sell them to end users and despite MS removing wording specific to that case they haven't done anything to curb it. If they really wanted to stop it, they would only allow verified partners have those licenses.