· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 04-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #26
LOL_Wut_Axel
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelov View Post
Yet you've not proved anything at all

Your post history speaks for itself, though. Whilst I'm willing to dish it out to whoever deserves it you seem to be very very one-sided.

The Steam hardware survey disagrees with you. The mere fact that they comprise a noticeable percentage of Steam users should tell you that you're wrong yet you keep beating a dead horse and throwing around a 1% number as if it's worth anything at all without anything whatsoever to back it up.

I'm using facts and statistics about the makeup of consumers and you're just getting angry that they don't agree with your world view
The Steam survey proves nothing, and you should stop acting like if you were "sad".

Do you personally deal with dozens or hundreds of college students or other consumers everyday? No, right? Then why are you here saying what everyone wants? I'm in college, so I constantly talk to people in campus. I also work retail, where those students go to buy their laptops and I sell it to them. Now tell me: who is more apt to know what college kids want? The one who interacts with them nearly every day and asks them directly what they want, or someone pulling up a meaningless Steam statistic that proves that people that like Steam are into PC gaming?

Most college students don't give a dog's crap about Steam or PC gaming. I know, I deal with them nearly every day.
Core i7-3770K | ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 | OCZ Vertex 3 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Boost Dual-X, PNY GeForce GTX 465 | 16GB Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3-1600 | Corsair RM750 | Corsair Carbide 400R
LOL_Wut_Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #27
pelov
Diamond Member

I teach at a college, friend. I see kids all the time on their laptops playing games. Hell, even during my class. Just last week I walked past a kid who had Starcraft II minimized on his laptop as I walked past him.

You've claimed a lot of things, but like I said, the thing that speaks more loudly than anything is your post history being littered with anti-AMD sentiment. You're like the Intel/nVidia version of AtenRa except he actually posts some useful info once in a while.
pelov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #28
LOL_Wut_Axel
Diamond Member

Quote:
I teach at a college, friend. I see kids all the time on their laptops playing games. Hell, even during my class. Just last week I walked past a kid who had Starcraft II minimized on his laptop as I walked past him.

You've claimed a lot of things, but like I said, the thing that speaks more loudly than anything is your post history being littered with anti-AMD sentiment. You're like the Intel/nVidia version of AtenRa except he actually posts some useful info once in a while.
Yeah. Whatever you say.

Now your experience has gone to being a professor. Gee, you must really know what college kids want from your direct experience, just like my professor Harry. LMAO.

And BTW, I pushed my mom into buying a ThinkPad X120e that's she's had for more than a year and it has a... wait for it...

AMD E-350 APU. And before you go naysaying, here's my mom's X120e and my E420:

You know what I'm a fan of? Getting the best product at any given price. The fact is Bobcat smashes, devours, and craps all over Atom but elsewhere it's Intel that has the advantage, and at many times a big one. AMD used to rule the CPU world... 10 to 7 years ago. Now it's Intel solidly on top except for a few markets.
Core i7-3770K | ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 | OCZ Vertex 3 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Boost Dual-X, PNY GeForce GTX 465 | 16GB Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3-1600 | Corsair RM750 | Corsair Carbide 400R
Old 04-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #29
frozentundra123456
Diamond Member

Quote:
Where the hell do you work? Less than 1%? Has any single male going to college ever entered your store? I can guarantee you that nearly all of them game on their college laptops.

You're talking out of your hoo-ha.

Tablets have skyrocketed in sales and laptops haven't experienced the same joy. People are buying them purely because they can overlap in their typical usage. Laptops are generally for content creation and work, which is absolutely true, but the fact that a majority of people feel that tablets are adequate flies in the face of your assumption that CPU performance matters anymore... it doesn't. The laptop has 2 key advantages, Windows and a keyboard. Past that it doesn't really matter.
I work in a college, and in the lunchroom and lounge areas, almost all I see are laptops. Why? Because you can actually do work on them. I would say maybe 5% of the students I see are using a tablet. The rest are using laptops. I know tablets are popular, but because students have to actually do work, I see very, very few tablets. To do work, they have laptops. For web browsing and e-mail/facebook, they have smartphones.
frozentundra123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:24 AM   #30
Gloomy
Golden Member

People who like playing video games will own a desktop. But hinging your argument on the assumption that owning a desktop and owning a laptop are mutually exclusive is a very silly thing to do.

So is assuming that people who game only want to do it on their desktop (or that the desktop is always readily available for gaming to begin with).

And saying that gaming performance is irrelevant is... I can't even describe it. Kids at my school are carrying mouses around. They're playing League of Legends in the lounge, crowded around power outlets. You are way out of touch...
Gloomy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #31
LOL_Wut_Axel
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomy View Post
People who like playing video games will own a desktop. But hinging your argument on the assumption that owning a desktop and owning a laptop are mutually exclusive is a very silly thing to do.

So is assuming that people who game only want to do it on their desktop (or that the desktop is always readily available for gaming to begin with).

And saying that gaming performance is irrelevant is... I can't even describe it. Kids at my school are carrying mouses around. They're playing League of Legends in the lounge, crowded around power outlets. You are way out of touch...
LOL, yep. I'm way out of touch even though I've interacted with hundreds of college students when it comes to this exact topic topic.

This has been discussed multiple times already, so moving along...
Old 04-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #32
Rvenger
VC&G Moderator

As a former CompUSA employee/team lead we were always pushed to sell AMD product due to higher margins in sales. It gave us the avenue to offer a bunch of addons to stay within the customer's price limit. Plus the AMD laptops were cheaper in price as well. I was at Bestbuy the other week where they had i3 based laptops stacked to the ceiling for $600. All that was left of the Llanos were the left over demo models that weren't allowed to be sold. The Llanos were being sold in the $400 range with the same amount of RAM and HDD space. I work for one of the largest IT B2B company right now and we sell nothing but Lenovo T420, X220, W510, M91p and M90z which are all Intel based. Retail market is a tiny blip on the radar compared to these businesses that request hundreds of laptops everyday.

I am sorry but its mainly only one time out of the year where college student flock over to the computer store to buy a PC. Most people don't even care if they get an AMD or Intel, as long as the price is right. This is where AMD has the advantage.
i7-5820k @ 4ghz 1.12v - MSI X99S SLI Plus - Corsair H100i - 16gb Crucial 2133mhz DDR4 - Gigabyte GTX 980 - 256gb Adata SP900 - 1tb Seagate XT - Asus Xonar DGX - NZXT 850w Modular PSU - CM Storm Stryker

i7-2700k - ECS H61H2-I - CM Hyper T2 - 8gb Corsair XMS3 1600mhz DDR3 - Powercolor PCS+ HD 7950 - 80gb X25M Intel SSD - 500gb Seagate 7200.12 - EVGA 500w PSU - Bitfenix Prodigy Red

Last edited by Rvenger; 04-26-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Rvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #33
pyjujiop

The only thing this entire thread proves to me is that people buy different types of computers for a wide variety of different applications, and what form factor they buy their computer in seems to be more a matter of personal preference than anything else.

I will say that I know a LOT of people who most certainly do buy laptops to play games on, and the Llano-based offerings were very attractive to them. To do better, you had to spend a lot more money and buy an Intel-based laptop with a discrete graphics solution.
pyjujiop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #34
LOL_Wut_Axel
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyjujiop View Post
The only thing this entire thread proves to me is that people buy different types of computers for a wide variety of different applications, and what form factor they buy their computer in seems to be more a matter of personal preference than anything else.

I will say that I know a LOT of people who most certainly do buy laptops to play games on, and the Llano-based offerings were very attractive to them. To do better, you had to spend a lot more money and buy an Intel-based laptop with a discrete graphics solution.
Except no, they don't. And who you know doesn't mean it will translate to the overall market. If your argument made sense we'd be seeing an equal spread between the sales of value, mainstream, and high-end laptops.

And to the other poster: Intel has better brand recognition than AMD, and that combined with the fact almost no one cares about gaming on a laptop means Intel has the upper hand.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #35
Bearach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Wut_Axel View Post
LOL, yep. I'm way out of touch even though I've interacted with hundreds of college students when it comes to this exact topic topic.

This has been discussed multiple times already, so moving along...
I don't believe you have given anywhere near enough evidence for your claim either. You are one person, in a store, in a city, in one country.

It's a bit naive to believe that you're the authority on something like "no one wants to game on a laptop". You have given nothing but your own experience, and yet, you also dismiss others for the same.

I don't think either argument has been proven. Just saying your opinion is not fact to everyone, nor everywhere. So I would say, agree to disagree.
Bearach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #36
LOL_Wut_Axel
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearach View Post
I don't believe you have given anywhere near enough evidence for your claim either. You are one person, in a store, in a city, in one country.

It's a bit naive to believe that you're the authority on something like "no one wants to game on a laptop". You have given nothing but your own experience, and yet, you also dismiss others for the same.

I don't think either argument has been proven. Just saying your opinion is not fact to everyone, nor everywhere. So I would say, agree to disagree.
Except it's you putting words into my mouth, claiming something I never said. I said almost no one, as in very few people.

A reading comprehension lesson or two might help.

Also, X friends of yours being in college and having laptops which they game on proves nothing. Why? Because it could simply be that x person friends people that like to game on laptops much more than the average college student, which is the exact thing in play here. At this point claiming that a lot of college students game on their laptops and therefore that's why AMD will be successful is made up BS and being made by people that only like to argue for the sake of it. Same as other people claiming that college students are replacing laptops with tablets when one simply complements the other and they have different uses.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #37
SickBeast
Lifer

I'm quite surprised to see AMD gaining market share considering their terrible product portfolio right now.
SickBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #38
BallaTheFeared
Diamond Member

Pretty hard to lose market share when you've got hardly any to start with.
BallaTheFeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #39
Bearach

Quote:
Except it's you putting words into my mouth, claiming something I never said. I said almost no one, as in very few people.

A reading comprehension lesson or two might help.

Also, X friends of yours being in college and having laptops which they game on proves nothing. Why? Because it could simply be that x person friends people that like to game on laptops much more than the average college student, which is the exact thing in play here. At this point claiming that a lot of college students game on their laptops and therefore that's why AMD will be successful is made up BS and being made by people that only like to argue for the sake of it. Same as other people claiming that college students are replacing laptops with tablets when one simply complements the other and they have different uses.
I would like for you to stop with the insults, thank you.

I apologise that I didn't word it correctly.

Nevermind. Not worth the effort.

Last edited by Bearach; 04-26-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Removed counter argument, wasn't worth the effort.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #40
pelov
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickBeast View Post
I'm quite surprised to see AMD gaining market share considering their terrible product portfolio right now.
It's mostly Llano and Brazos that account for the gains. Both of those products are great. Maybe not so much Llano anymore since IB launched, though.
pelov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #41
LOL_Wut_Axel
Diamond Member

Quote:
I can read thank you, so, I would like for you to stop with the insults.

I apologise that I didn't word it quite right. Though, it still doesn't change the fact of the matter that you're stating from your own experience.

What you say can not be factually backed up with any form of statistics. Yet you speak of it as if you're an authority, and no one else is right.

Maybe in your city it is as you say, but can you right now really back up the claim that everywhere in the world "very few people game on laptop"?
Like I said before, I work in TigerDirect. The avg. consumer that comes here is a bit more tech savvy than those that go to somewhere like Best Buy. If even in TD very few people care about gaming on their laptops I don't want to know about the technology-illiterates at Best Buy (heh).

Also, you can see gaming on laptops is not a big factor by the fact that Intel has much, much bigger laptop market share.

Sorry if me telling you to not put words into my mouth was perceived to be an insult. I just don't like people claiming things that I never said.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #42
Bearach

Quote:
Like I said before, I work in TigerDirect. The avg. consumer that comes here is a bit more tech savvy than those that go to somewhere like Best Buy. If even in TD very few people care about gaming on their laptops I don't want to know about the technology-illiterates at Best Buy (heh).

Also, you can see gaming on laptops is not a big factor by the fact that Intel has much, much bigger laptop market share.

Sorry if me telling you to not put words into my mouth was perceived to be an insult. I just don't like people claiming things that I never said.
That wasn't what was the insult. You implied I needed lessons in reading comprehension. Which is.

To the rest of what you said. Well, what I said still stands. In your store, where you work, what you have said is the case. I don't think you can say with great authority for more than that.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #43
Olikan
Golden Member

Quote:
i think that the "gaming laptops" aren't popular because of theyr price and alot of mis-information...

just go to yahoo, and there is a ton os questions like..."atom can play crysis?"....and sometimes ppl say yes
Olikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #44
LOL_Wut_Axel
Diamond Member

Quote:
That wasn't what was the insult. You implied I needed lessons in reading comprehension. Which is.

To the rest of what you said. Well, what I said still stands. In your store, where you work, what you have said is the case. I don't think you can say with great authority for more than that.
For a moment it definitely seemed like you did. Perhaps you shouldn't insult members initially by putting words into their mouths.

What you said doesn't really stand a ground on reality. Intel has much, much higher laptop market share than AMD and it's actually in desktops where AMD is putting up a good fight in terms of sales. And I'd say I have a big enough sample size to have a good idea of what I'm talking about, unlike x guy that knows that gaming on laptops matters a lot because his friends game on their laptops.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #45
LOL_Wut_Axel
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olikan View Post
i think that the "gaming laptops" aren't popular because of theyr price and alot of mis-information...

just go to yahoo, and there is a ton os questions like..."atom can play crysis?"....and sometimes ppl say yes
I don't specifically mean gaming laptops. I just mean laptops that would be decent at cheap gaming, hence why Llano comes up. People that want gaming laptops specifically are very few; of those most go with ASUS ROG and Alienware.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #46
thilanliyan
Diamond Member

Quote:
And I'd say I have a big enough sample size to have a good idea of what I'm talking about, unlike x guy that knows that gaming on laptops matters a lot because his friends game on their laptops.
How is you working at TD and being in a college (where you obviously don't know or speak to EVERYONE in it) a big enough sample size? Maybe in relation to someone who doesn't work at TD or attend college, but still not enough to claim it as fact. Just saying.

I agree with you though that the vast majority probably don't game on their laptops (at least nothing demanding..maybe flash games).
3x7950 3gb (mining)
Corsair HX1050 Gold
thilanliyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #47
LOL_Wut_Axel
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thilanliyan View Post
How is you working at TD and being in a college (where you obviously don't know or speak to EVERYONE in it) a big enough sample size? Maybe in relation to someone who doesn't work at TD or attend college, but still not enough to claim it as fact. Just saying.

I agree with you though that the vast majority probably don't game on their laptops (at least nothing demanding..maybe flash games).

Everything I'm saying is corroborated by laptop sales.

Dealing with hundreds of college students is a much better indicator than having a few friends with laptops that they use for gaming.

If you go to another TigerDirect/CompUSA you'll encounter the same situation.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #48
thilanliyan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Dealing with hundreds of college students is a much better indicator than having a few friends with laptops that they use for gaming.
I know. That is exactly what I said in my post.

BUT, still not enough to say it is a big enough sample size and claim it as fact.
3x7950 3gb (mining)
Corsair HX1050 Gold
thilanliyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #49
LOL_Wut_Axel
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thilanliyan View Post
I know. That is exactly what I said in my post.

BUT, still not enough to say it is a big enough sample size and claim it as fact.
Well, it is a fact. I didn't say 0.5/100 college students are the only ones looking for a laptop for some gaming, or anything like that. I said that from dealing with them, the vast majority that want to game on a PC ask me to recommend them parts to make a desktop PC. In my time there there's only been a single guy that's asked me for what Llano is intended for, and I've dealt with hundred others that simply had the requirements I mentioned some time ago.

Given this, I'm sticking with saying "very few college students care about gaming on the cheap on their laptops" and call it a fact because, again, I'm not using a specific statistic because that would be infactual and because I've dealt with tons of them directly.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #50
Arkaign
Lifer

I agree that the number of people who want gaming laptops is spectacularly small in the big picture (even gaming desktops are extraordinarily rare vs total sales). Anyone who does 10 seconds of research who does want to game can figure out that $600 will build a decent gaming PC, but $600 laptop, even with Llano, is going to be borderline to terrible.

Intel is absolute garbage for IGP, Llano is mediocre to poor. But at least with SB/IB, you get better battery life and the video performance on either is more than adequate for 1080p video, basic games, etc. And I'll never categorize someone who installs Angry Birds and Plants vs. Zombies as someone who really wants to "game" in the real sense beyond just casual time-killing, any more than someone who plays a game of hearts or minesweeper a few times a week is a 'gamer', so statistics can be twisted any number of ways.