· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 04-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
crammy

Default Windows 7 Professional x64 randomly freezing

Hello everybody,

My computer screen is freezing once a day or so without any BSODs whatsoever. The funny thing is that everything else is running in the background, including the system clock, music from WMP, and even a video game CD I popped in when it was frozen, which launched like normal, but was unable to do anything because the mouse and keyboard were unresponsive.

When it freezes, I hit the power button once and it shuts down like normal too. Even when I put the computer to sleep during the freeze, it wakes up normally and it works just fine again!

All my drivers are up to date, so what can the problem be? I also tested the hardware with Dell Support Center tools and everything checks out fine.

Remember, everything else is running in the background just as it should, including the clock which still keeps time correctly. The screen looks fine too with everything being displayed clearly and crisply, with no artifacts or lines or anything.

I was also working on a paper for class when it froze, and the funny thing is that when I hit the power button to shut my pc down, it was prevented from doing so because MS Word itself was asking me if I wanted to save the document, which means other processes were running, but I couldn't save because the mouse and keyboard were frozen, so I had to hold the power button until it shut off. Luckily I didn't lose much progress at all because I saved it just a few minutes before. This is a really perplexing situation...

What can be the problem here?
Thanks for your help.

My specs:

Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40 Ghz (non-overclocked)
12GB of RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6800

Last edited by crammy; 04-17-2012 at 09:32 PM.
crammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:35 AM   #2
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

What you're describing doesn't really sound like a freeze; obviously the system is continuing to work. Instead it sounds like you're losing USB connectivity for some reason.

Could you give us some more details on your system, and have you tried unplugging your mouse and keyboard after a "freeze" to see if that has any impact?
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
ViRGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
crammy

Sorry for the long delay in my response - I was in class all day long...

I've already tried the unplug/replug thing to no avail.

I uninstalled my printer drivers, which brings up another point: incidentally when my pc freezes, I notice that the Windows Image Acquisition becomes re-enabled and runs, even though I stopped it and set it to manual before. This happens every time it freezes.

Can this be a clue of some sort that my printer, which has a built-in scanner, be the culprit? It is also a fairly old printer, which might help explain this.

Note that I could not even install the software cd because it was incompatible, but could use it once I plugged it in to the usb port and the drivers installed through Windows Update or something. Please note that I only plug it in when I need to print something.

I also failed to mention this, but this all started last Wednesday, April the 11th, the day after I installed a bunch of Microsoft updates. Could one of the new updates be conflicting with the printer driver?
crammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
VirtualLarry
Lifer

It sounds almost like you are suffering from high CPU usage, causing the whole machine to bog way down. Or a failing HD.
"DON'T BUY INTEL, they will send secret signals down the internet, which
will considerably slow down your computer". - SOFTengCOMPelec
VirtualLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
mfenn
Elite Member
General Hardware

I agree with ViRGE. It sounds like your system is working fine except it stops accepting input for whatever reason. Try the following:
- Unplug all USB devices except for the mouse and keyboard
- Move the mouse and keyboard to a different socket
- If your computer has PS/2 ports try using those
mfenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
I also failed to mention this, but this all started last Wednesday, April the 11th, the day after I installed a bunch of Microsoft updates. Could one of the new updates be conflicting with the printer driver?
You can relax about the printer driver, it's almost certainly not that. However there is a good chance it's related to one of the MS updates. You may want to roll them back until you find the one that caused the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfenn View Post
I agree with ViRGE. It sounds like your system is working fine except it stops accepting input for whatever reason. Try the following:
- Unplug all USB devices except for the mouse and keyboard
- Move the mouse and keyboard to a different socket
- If your computer has PS/2 ports try using those
And if those suggestions don't work, make sure you have the latest BIOS from Dell. I could absolutely see them screwing up USB.
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
ViRGE is online now   Reply With Quote