· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 03-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
brikis98
Diamond Member

Default Replacement key & keyless entry for Toyota Corolla

Not long ago, I lost the key and keyless entry device for my 2007 Toyota Corolla. I still have the second set and called a nearby Toyota dealership to find out how much it would cost to make a copy: I was quoted $60 for the key, $120 for the keyless entry device, and $73 for labor (for "programming" the devices), for a grand total of $253. Sounds ridiculously high to me.

Are there cheaper alternatives out there?

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
brikis98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
SSSnail
Lifer

Nope. You can try different dealers to see who has the lowest price.

Alex Smith fan.

Traditional Chinese Herbs and Supplements
SSSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
kevinf2090

i think you can try to get the fob and key and program it yourself.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
angry hampster
Diamond Member

CHeck ebay for the keyless device. Ifit's a laser-cut key, you'll probably have to get it from the dealer. The dealers will have a flat fee for programming.

I bought a remote for my '03 VW on ebay for $25 with a new battery. I got a new key and programming from mylocal dealer for $90. Total $115.

[i5 2500k][HD4870 512mb][8GB DDR3 1600][Other Junk]

HEAT
angry hampster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
bruceb
Diamond Member

You can get the Key Blank from here For $9 .. then just have a Locksmith cut the key to match your other one. Most Locksmiths can do laser cut keys nowadays.

http://www.dragtimes.com/parts/05-06...207640887.html

Here is Keyless Entry unit for your car .... $50

http://www.keyless-remotes.com/toyot...a:2004:Corolla

Here is how to program the new Remote unit:

IF ten seconds or more elapse between any of the following steps,you will need to start all over again.Prepare vehicle by closing and locking all doors except driver's door should be open and unlocked.

01): Stick key in and out of the ignition cylinder twice without turning it.

02): Close and open driver's door twice ending in open door.

03): Stick key in and out of the ignition cylinder once without turning it.

04): Close and open driver's door twice ending in open door.

05): Stick the key in the ignition cylinder.(do not remove or turn key)

06): Close driver's door.

07): Turn the key in the ignition on and off twice and remove key from the ignition. (at this point if every step was done correctly,all doors will lock and unlock twice to let you know the system entered the add mode)

08): Press both lock and unlock buttons on your remote simultaneously for one second.

09): Within three seconds press the lock button on your remote for one second and release.(vehicle will beep twice to let you know it has accepted the new remote.)

10): To exit add mode open and close door and test remote operation.

Let us know how you make out. It should cost about a total of $70 max
for parts and shipping and maybe about $20 to cut the key blank.

Last edited by bruceb; 03-07-2010 at 07:47 AM.
bruceb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
brikis98
Diamond Member

I appreciate all the great info guys!

I ordered a keyless entry device off ebay for $15 that I'll try to program myself using bruceb's instructions. Even if I can't get it to work, $15 isn't much to lose and I can always have the dealer as a fall back plan. I'm also going to call a couple locksmiths tomorrow and see if they copy/program transponder keys - if so, I can get an uncut key from ebay for $15 as well. I'll update this thread with my progress in the near future.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
Old 03-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
CptCrunch
Golden Member

also see www.9thgencorolla.com, they have some DIY articles and a very active forum if bruceb's advice doesn't work
CptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
Knavish

Yeah definitely do *NOT* get this at the dealer.
Knavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #9
brikis98
Diamond Member

Update: the keyless entry device from ebay - $15 shipped - arrived today with instructions. It took all of 30 seconds to program it and it works perfectly. I cannot believe the dealer wanted $120 for the device alone plus a bunch more for labor. What a racket. On Monday I'm heading to a locksmith to get a copy of the key made. Not sure how much they charge, but I'm sure that too will be far less than the dealer wanted.

Thanks for the help guys!

Old 03-14-2010, 08:21 AM   #10
bruceb
Diamond Member

Just for our info, were the programming instructions that came with the Ebay remote
the same as what I posted above ? ?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #11
acraze

I have a similar question. I recently bought a "used" 2010 corolla which unfortunately came with just one wireless entry key. Fixed type. We ordered a fresh one off of ebay and had it cut at a local hardware store. The physical key will unlock the doors. We programmed the wireless part ourselves and it works just fine. The problem is the new key wont actually crank the car. It will unlock/lock wireless and regularly. It will turn on the car for the radio. But it just won't crank. Any suggestions??
acraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #12
natto fire
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acraze View Post
I have a similar question. I recently bought a "used" 2010 corolla which unfortunately came with just one wireless entry key. Fixed type. We ordered a fresh one off of ebay and had it cut at a local hardware store. The physical key will unlock the doors. We programmed the wireless part ourselves and it works just fine. The problem is the new key wont actually crank the car. It will unlock/lock wireless and regularly. It will turn on the car for the radio. But it just won't crank. Any suggestions??
The key probably has an RFID chip in it that has to be programmed for the scanner in the ignition. Here is a very "clunky" video that explains how the transponder system works in the key and ignition. It also says how to program it if you can deal with the terrible robot prose. (Write it down)Programming RFID transponder keys
natto fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #13
Oaktree

Not to hijack the thread, but I also would appreciate some feedback about a Corolla key question. I bought my 2006 Corolla new. It now has 122,000 miles on it. It came with two regular keys, two fobs, and a valet key. I have always used one particular key and fob. I keep the other regular key and fob at home as spares but have rarely used them. I store the valet key at a relative's house, so that someone could bring me a car key in case I lost mine while I was out somewhere. Yesterday, the favorite key quit working. It would not turn in the ignition to start the car. It would unlock the doors, but it would not lock them. The fob worked fine. I had to get a tow home, and the first thing I did was to try my never-used spare key in the ignition. The spare key worked fine and started the car. I then held the two keys side by side and carefully compared them, and it did look as if the more used key is worn. Some of the little bumps and ridges are a bit rounded off. I have driven the car several times now with the spare key and have had no problems, so I think there is probably nothing wrong with the ignition or with the electronics of the car. I do want to get another key made to keep as a spare, but those chipped keys are expensive. I'm thinking that my old, worn key's RFID chip probably is still functional. I'm wondering if, instead of buying a new chipped key, I could just leave that old key inside the car permanently to give the car's ignition system the okay to start. Then maybe I could just get a cheaper, non-chipped key to actually stick in the ignition. Does anyone know if that will work?
Oaktree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #14
bruceb
Diamond Member

No it won't. The ignition cylinder reads the chip and the key cuts. Why worry about it ? You have the other new key and it should easily outlive the rest of the car's expected life. If you are really worried, then you need to have a locksmith or dealer with the proper chipped key blanks make a new key.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #15
alimazyad

i bought a toyota corolla 2009 (manual) (made in south africa) i lost the 2 remote keys i only have the gray key (valet key). i'm from egypt, our dealer told me that i need to change the security device and all keys, which cost (220$) labour(cost 300$), keys cost(330$) two remote key plus one valet
total cost about (850$) which about 3% from the price of a new car in our country
the question is how can i get a master key?
someone told me that i can get new one by chasset number from dealer
is it essential to cange the security device behind the dash board?
alimazyad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #16
HybridSquirrel
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceb View Post
snip

bravo.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #17
natto fire
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceb View Post
No it won't. The ignition cylinder reads the chip and the key cuts. Why worry about it ? You have the other new key and it should easily outlive the rest of the car's expected life. If you are really worried, then you need to have a locksmith or dealer with the proper chipped key blanks make a new key.
If he wanted to get adventurous, he could take the "bad" key and modify it to get the RFID transponder chip either out of it or close enough to get it to trigger the ignition.

The original key apparently only lasted 3 years for the OP, so they have a legitimate reason to worry about the spare. The chip is passive and probably needs to be very close to the ignition assembly, but it's worth trying.

I would probably end up doing it the right way myself, however it's always worth it to explore the less than ideal path, IMO.
natto fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #18
amdhunter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alimazyad View Post
i bought a toyota corolla 2009 (manual) (made in south africa) i lost the 2 remote keys i only have the gray key (valet key). i'm from egypt, our dealer told me that i need to change the security device and all keys, which cost (220$) labour(cost 300$), keys cost(330$) two remote key plus one valet
total cost about (850$) which about 3% from the price of a new car in our country
the question is how can i get a master key?
someone told me that i can get new one by chasset number from dealer
is it essential to cange the security device behind the dash board?
They don't have to change any security device. They just have to pair new keys to the car.

You should be able to buy the blanks on eBay, and just pay the labor costs (should be 1 hour labor) and have them programmed. They are scamming the shit out of you.

I also bought keys for my Mazda on eBay and had no issue getting them programmed by the dealer. (I need 2 working sets to program one, so I had to go through them. I programmed a 3rd set myself.)
amdhunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #19
jtvang125
Diamond Member

Just be glad you still had a second set. Heard people who lost both and needed a new ignition key and ecu to work with the new set of keys. Only way to do this was through the dealer so it wasn't cheap.
jtvang125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #20
amdhunter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvang125 View Post
Just be glad you still had a second set. Heard people who lost both and needed a new ignition key and ecu to work with the new set of keys. Only way to do this was through the dealer so it wasn't cheap.
They don't need to change the ECU, it would need to be reprogrammed with the new codes.

EDIT: Turns out I was wrong. Toyota and other manufacturers require an ECU replacement to deter theft.

Last edited by amdhunter; 04-26-2012 at 01:00 PM.
amdhunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #21
bruceb
Diamond Member

Found this post where they say you send in your ECU and they reprogram it to your new key.
From here (post 15) http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/foru...howtopic=67787

I can program new keys into ECUs when there are no other keys available. No new parts. Just send the ECU from your car and your VIN and I can send back a working key. Much cheaper than these options!!!

Here is there contact info:

Tel: 07734 714 868

sales@keyprogrammers.com

Registered office:
20 Albion Road
New Mills
SK22 3EX
Company no.: 06409525

http://www.keyprogrammers.com
Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #22
09Corolla

Default Programming didn't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Howdy View Post
The key probably has an RFID chip in it that has to be programmed for the scanner in the ignition. Here is a very "clunky" video that explains how the transponder system works in the key and ignition. It also says how to program it if you can deal with the terrible robot prose. (Write it down)Programming RFID transponder keys

I have the same problem as did acraze: bought new key of ebay, had it cut, i programmed it for doors and trunk to lock and unlock but the engine wont turn over. And I tried the programming in the video suggested by Captain Howdy but it did not work for my 09 Corolla. I read somewhere the programming in the video works for older model corollas.

Acraze, did the video programming work for you?
Does anyone else have any other suggestions, programming?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
09Corolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #23
Oaktree

@BruceB and Captain Howdy: It does work. I tried it. You have to hold the worn-out key with its chip right up next to the head of the chipless key when you insert the chipless key into the ignition. And Captain Howdy's point is well taken that I do need at least an emergency spare key. Occasionally I misplace my primary set of keys. I think what I will do is duct-tape the chipless key and the wornout key together, head to head. Maybe I will even saw off the shaft of the useless key. While it is not an elegant solution, it is a cheap one. I won't have to use it that often, and if something does happen to the good key, I will at least have a way to drive to the locksmith's store.
Oaktree is offline   Reply With Quote