· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 04-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
ChAoTiCpInOy
Diamond Member

Default Gaming Mice Suggestions

Looking for a new mouse to play some games. I've been looking at the G9x but it doesn't look like it goes on sale often. Mac OS support and being a Logitech mice is a plus but not required. I mostly play Dota and BF3 if that makes a difference. I really don't know 100% what I'm supposed to be looking for in a mouse so recommendations and some teaching would be awesome.

Moved from PC Gaming

Anandtech Moderator
KeithTalent

Last edited by KeithTalent; 04-12-2012 at 07:38 AM.
ChAoTiCpInOy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
PhatoseAlpha
Platinum Member

My main concerns are button count and differentiation. More buttons are generally better - more actions in easy reach. But differentiation is very important - you need to be able to be sure you have the right button by feel alone.

I used to use a logitech MX-1000 - best mouse I ever used. The G900 that replaced it when it gave out has more buttons - but the side buttons are a 2x2 block of identically shaped buttons, meaning it's real hard to tell one from the other. The three top buttons are impractically small and hard to reach. Net result is that it has far fewer useful buttons then the old MX1000 did.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
I4AT
Platinum Member

I think the new Cooler Master Storm mice are the best bang for your buck mice on the market. You've got the entry level Xornet (2000dpi) and the higher end Spawn (3500dpi). I've seen both mice go as low as $15AR during a few sales.

They share the same design but the Spawn has a slightly better sensor and one more button is programmable. Build quality wise they're solid, I own the Xornet, and they both use Omron microswitches rated to 5 million clicks. I'm familiar with Omron from the arcade stick scene, Japanese made switches used in high end arcade parts, definitely quality stuff.

They're also pretty well supported by Cooler Master, each mouse has a number of different firmware updates available that tweaks settings such as lift off distance, max perfect control speed, and performance on light or dark mouse pads to better suit different people's needs. Their forums feature a lot of feedback and tests run by the community that critique these mice in ways I never even knew existed before I started looking into buying one.

I think unless you have goliath hands (cause they're a bit smaller than most other mice), for what you get for the money, especially when on sale, these mice are a no brainer. I had 2 Razer mice before buying this one and I definitely won't be going Razer again. The scroll wheel on my Diamondback 3g failed within a few months, their prices and the amount of products they're putting out are going up, while quality is going down.

I've actually seen 3 mice from 3 different companies (not all mine) with scroll wheels that developed the same problem where you try to scroll down and it goes down then back up a bit. Kind of weird.

Last edited by I4AT; 04-12-2012 at 02:59 AM.
I4AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
spacelord
Platinum Member

I've been using a Logitech G700 wireless/wired mouse for over a year.
I played alot of BF2 and BF3 with that bad boy.
spacelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
BlueWeasel
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I4AT View Post
I think the new Cooler Master Storm mice are the best bang for you buck mice on the market. You've got the entry level Xornet (2000dpi) and the higher end Spawn (3500dpi). I've seen both mice go as low as $15AR during a few sales.

They share the same design but the Spawn has a slightly better sensor and one more button is programmable. Build quality wise they're solid, I own the Xornet, and they both use Omron microswitches rated to 5 million clicks. I'm familiar with Omron from the arcade stick scene, Japanese made switches used in high end arcade parts, definitely quality stuff.

They're also pretty well supported by Cooler Master, each mouse has a number of different firmware updates available that tweaks settings such as lift off distance, max perfect control speed, and performance on light or dark mouse pads to better suit different people's needs. Their forums feature a lot of feedback and tests run by the community that critique these mice in ways I never even knew existed before I started looking into buying one.

I think unless you have goliath hands (cause they're a bit smaller than most other mice), for what you get for the money, especially when on sale, these mice are a no brainer. I had 2 Razer mice before buying this one and I definitely won't be going Razer again. The scroll wheel on my Diamondback 3g failed within a few months, their prices and the amount of products they're putting out are going up, while quality is going down.

I've actually seen 3 mice from 3 different companies (not all mine) with scroll wheels that developed the same problem where you try to scroll down and it goes down then back up a bit. Kind of weird.
I love my Spawn mouse. It's a great mouse for claw-grip gamers.
BlueWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
RavenSEAL
Diamond Member

My RAT7 has had it's up and downs, but overall, its a solid mouse I don't regret purchasing it.

I just wish it would've left a smaller hole in my wallet
AMD X6 1090T @ 3.8GHz Cooled by CM Hyper212+ P/P | Sapphire AMD HD6870 Vapor-X Crossfire @ 930/1150 | Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 | 8GBs Patriot G2 DDR3-1600Mhz | Corsair FORCE 3 90GB SSD | 1TB WD RAID0 | Antec HCG-750 | CM HAF 932

Lonely HeatWare

RavenSEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #7
Capt Caveman
Lifer

G700 - great gaming mouse

And having a MX1000, great everyday mouse but not recommended for gaming what's so ever.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:37 AM   #8
AFurryReptile
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenSEAL View Post
My RAT7 has had it's up and downs, but overall, its a solid mouse I don't regret purchasing it.

I just wish it would've left a smaller hole in my wallet
I have a RAT7 as well, and I wish I hadn't purchased it. The software was is hella buggy and out of date, the back button doesn't click anymore, the middle-mouse button double and triple-clicks half the time, the side-scrolling wheel doesn't and never has done anything at all, and the "slo-mo" button is too damn far away to reach comfortably. Let alone the fact that it's weirdly sensitive to bass, and I can't play too loudly or my mouse is all over the place.

My Logitech MX400 was better, imo. I could use a good recommendation for a mouse as well.
AFurryReptile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:17 AM   #9
Zenoth
Diamond Member

I bought a Logitech G500 recently, to replace my Logitech MX-518. It took me a few days to adapt to it but now I really like the G500, very comfortable and the extra buttons can be useful. I also like the parameters for sensitivity configuration using the Logitech's SetPoint software. I can have as much precision as I used to have with my MX-518, or more if I desire (MX-518's DPI was 1600, G500 can reach 5700 if you want).
GPU: ASUS GTX 670 DCUII 2GB @ Stock

"To vanquish without adversity is to triumph without glory."
Zenoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:35 AM   #10
MustangSVT
Lifer

I think my Mx518 is at least 4 years old, still chugging along perfectly fine and button clicks fine. However there is a bit of a creeking noise from buttons time to time.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:40 AM   #11
PrincessFrosty
Golden Member

I'm very pleased with my Razer Mamba 2012 edition, seem to have fixed a lot of the issues with the original Mamba, and I have to say it's nice to be back on a right handed gaming mouse rather than the less comfortable symmetrical ones.

If you're looking for a wireless mouse specifically I would highly recommend, if you can take the hit to the wallet, it's expensive :s
PrincessFrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #12
Nvidiaguy07
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFrosty View Post
I'm very pleased with my Razer Mamba 2012 edition, seem to have fixed a lot of the issues with the original Mamba, and I have to say it's nice to be back on a right handed gaming mouse rather than the less comfortable symmetrical ones.

If you're looking for a wireless mouse specifically I would highly recommend, if you can take the hit to the wallet, it's expensive :s
How is the wireless performance compared to wired? I was actually considering, since id like to have a wireless mouse except for when im gaming. How is the wired performance by the way?
Nvidiaguy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #13
PrincessFrosty
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidiaguy07 View Post
How is the wireless performance compared to wired? I was actually considering, since id like to have a wireless mouse except for when im gaming. How is the wired performance by the way?
It's fine, I can't tell the difference, I've read somewhere that apparently measuring the polling speed of the USB port it doesn't sustain 1000hz constantly but I can't notice that compared to wired.

I can't feel any lag associated with wireless either, plus the range is pretty good I can use it from my sofa which is great for when I play PC games on my projector. The battery seems to hold out long enough for extended gaming sessions as well, and you get used to charging it on the base when you're not using it quite quickly.

It's a great product it's just a shame it's so expensive.
PrincessFrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #14
BTRY B 529th FA BN
Lifer

I have a mouse that types, "gg" after every mp match, lo

your choice should start with comfort then go from there... i tried some of the popular gaming mice and didn't like the feel. to each their own. i prefer the R.A.T. 7 I keep the eye clean with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol if it starts to tweak out. But the comfort and adjustability of the R.A.T. 7 won me over. Width, Length, thumb position, weighters, buttons in all the right places = win win
BTRY B 529th FA BN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #15
ChAoTiCpInOy
Diamond Member

Is DPI important?
Old 04-13-2012, 03:18 AM   #16
bunnyfubbles
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAoTiCpInOy View Post
Is DPI important?
no, not at all

some of the best gamers in the world still use and win with "crappy" 400-800 DPI LED opticals

higher DPI is more about increased speed than precision like the marketing wants you to believe. In fact many gamers who buy in to the huge DPI farce ignorantly crank it all the way up and fail to compensate by lowering sensitivity settings enough to reign in their control and thus their accuracy is actually worse

having some DPI flexibility can be nice though, but its not a deal breaker if its not there, for instance I'd say ~1800 should be more than enough for anyone, and thus the 3500/3600DPI on a mouse like the DeathAdder or G400 is perfectly fine, don't fall for the laser mice that boast well over 5000 (such mice can be nice for a plethora of reasons other than insane DPI). Basically you should be buying the mouse because of its shape and buttons fit your needs.
i7 3930K @ 4.7GHz + XSPC Raystorm/EX280/D5 | ASUS Sabertooth X79 | EVGA GeForce GTX780 | 4x4GB Samsung Green DDR3 @ 1866 CAS9 1.5v | 2x256GB Samsung 830 RAID-0 | 3 x 1.5TB Hitachi 7K3000 RAID-0 | 2 x 3TB Seagate 7200.14 RAID-0 | Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 x64 | Creative X-Fi Titanium HD | Seasonic Platinum-1000 | Silverstone FT02B-WRI | BenQ XL2420T | Dell U2711 | Filco Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless Cherry MX Red | Razer Abyssus + Goliathus Speed | Beyerdynamic MMX300 / Astro A40 2013
bunnyfubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:11 AM   #17
LazadaMY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Caveman View Post
G700 - great gaming mouse

And having a MX1000, great everyday mouse but not recommended for gaming what's so ever.
I have the Logitech G700 also. Feels good and comfortable but it's kinda heavy for me though.

Anyway, I am eyeing for a switch to a Razer mouse. Fingers crossed, Razer DeathAdder!
LazadaMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #18
ixelion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazadaMY View Post
I have the Logitech G700 also. Feels good and comfortable but it's kinda heavy for me though.

Anyway, I am eyeing for a switch to a Razer mouse. Fingers crossed, Razer DeathAdder!
I have to say, weight is an extremly important factor when picking out a mouse. I cannot stress how important it is, it makes a huge diffrence in twitch gaming/fps.

For a long time I was using a RAT 7, and was pretty unhappy but could not pinpoint why, I plugged in my old Razer Imperator and instantly felt the difference, precision is much easier, kills in BF3 come much easier. weight is important go pick up the mouse in your hand or look up the specs before buying.
ixelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #19
Scaroza

I have a Mionix Saiph 3200, which I absolutely adore, its got a weighting system to tailor it to your preferences and 7 different sensitivity settings. If you are looking for a high number of buttons this isn't great it only got the two extra on the side which are on a rocker rather than having 2 separate buttons.

The Mionix Naos is a better solution to this, I havent personally got one but they are favourably reviewed, the only sticking point is the price (not sure of the cost in America) The quality of the mionix units is excellent, I've had mine for well over 2.5 years and never had any problems. Mionix is definitely worth a look

http://www.mionix.net/page.php?al=naos5000
Scaroza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #20
ChAoTiCpInOy
Diamond Member

So basically the most important thing is having a mouse that is comfortable and has the amount of buttons you need?
Old 04-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #21
thelastjuju

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyfubbles View Post
no, not at all

some of the best gamers in the world still use and win with "crappy" 400-800 DPI LED opticals

higher DPI is more about increased speed than precision like the marketing wants you to believe. In fact many gamers who buy in to the huge DPI farce ignorantly crank it all the way up and fail to compensate by lowering sensitivity settings enough to reign in their control and thus their accuracy is actually worse

having some DPI flexibility can be nice though, but its not a deal breaker if its not there, for instance I'd say ~1800 should be more than enough for anyone, and thus the 3500/3600DPI on a mouse like the DeathAdder or G400 is perfectly fine, don't fall for the laser mice that boast well over 5000 (such mice can be nice for a plethora of reasons other than insane DPI). Basically you should be buying the mouse because of its shape and buttons fit your needs.
hmm, I dunno about that.. I still play Counterstrike 1.6 every once in a while.. and it seems like all the most accurate, sharp shooting guys that drop you with a single shot to the head all insist you need high, but not unnecessarily high dpi.

So I would say it only matters to a certain extent. The inordinately high DPI count is just a marketing ploy imo, to appeal to people who blindly accept statistics to be performance indicators.

Anyway, my favorite mouse is the MX518! But also because I'm just so used to it.. Can't believe they took it off the market!

So I would agree.. go with whatever button config you like, but even more importantly: what feels best in your hand.. and you'll kinda just grow into it like I did with my 518 and not want to use anything else afterward.
thelastjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #22
Venom20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAoTiCpInOy View Post
I've been looking at the G9x but it doesn't look like it goes on sale often.
on sale at newegg.com (64.99)
Venom20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #23
Wattser93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom20 View Post
I purchased one at that price about a week ago and it's worth the price IMO.

I'm a finger tip mouse user with small/medium hands and it's perfect for me. There is a weighting system but I've found that no weight feels the best in my hand.
Wattser93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #24
fstime
Diamond Member

G9x, comes with two grips (claw and thumb) and is weight adjustable.
fstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:15 AM   #25
xboxist
Diamond Member

I too, bought the G9X a few days ago after my previous Logitech mouse of about 4 years finally died.

I'm an EXTREMELY happy with it. It's my first mouse with a weighted option and I'm loving it. The scroll wheel options (clicky for games - frictionless for surfing) are very nice. The overall aesthetic of the mouse is very pleasing to the eye. And the software let me turn the LEDs to dark purple, lol. That's obviously the clincher there.
Sapphire HD 5770 1GB (x2 - Crossfire)
Corsair CMPSU-650TX
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62
HP ZR24w
Windows 7 home
xboxist is offline   Reply With Quote