Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Health and Fitness

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
episodic
Lifer
 
episodic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Lifer
Posts: 11,084
Default Achievement unlocked - benched my body weight 2x5

Yay - benched 180lbs 2x5 (then 3x5 of 145lbs). Squatting 225 now, too. Deadlifting 225. Man is it a pain to cut AND increase lifts. I keep wanting to 'gain' - then I realize I'm gaining and I go low carb to cut, and back and forth. I'm teetering between 2300-2700 calories a day. I'm getting tons of protein usually over 160 grams a day.

Anyone want to critique my typical diet?

Breakfast 1/2 cup gluten free oats soaked in keifer overnight with a few blueberries and stevia along with a 3 egg omelette w/cheese.

Snack - greek yogurt

Lunch sweet potato with 1/2 to 3/4 cup cottage cheese with a banana mashed up with it all and some blueberries (this is what I call my bowl of mush).


Dinner hamburger patty (no bread) cheese, an onion, a whole bunch of mushrooms, an apple, all fried together

Snack cottage cheese and a spoonful of almond butter mixed together.

I'll vary the proteins but pretty much these are my days.
episodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
mple
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OC, California
Posts: 278
Default

Congrats, but out of curiosity, why did you drop to 145 if you can put up 2x5 at 180?

I feel you on how difficult it is to cut and make progress with lifts. I'm eating 1700 kcals a day right now which is about 20% under my maintenance. Physically, I feel fine, but losing reps even when I decrease weight on my work sets sucks.

Your diet looks fine. Not sure how much fat you're getting it, but make sure you take in at least 0.3g fat per lb of body weight.
mple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
episodic
Lifer
 
episodic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Lifer
Posts: 11,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mple View Post
Congrats, but out of curiosity, why did you drop to 145 if you can put up 2x5 at 180?

I feel you on how difficult it is to cut and make progress with lifts. I'm eating 1700 kcals a day right now which is about 20% under my maintenance. Physically, I feel fine, but losing reps even when I decrease weight on my work sets sucks.

Your diet looks fine. Not sure how much fat you're getting it, but make sure you take in at least 0.3g fat per lb of body weight.
I went down because I only had a spotter for a minute, and I feel comfortable with 145 by myself.
episodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #4
RavenSEAL
Diamond Member
 
RavenSEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mejico
Posts: 8,671
Default

Congrats
__________________
AMD X6 1090T @ 3.8GHz Cooled by CM Hyper212+ P/P | Sapphire AMD HD6870 Vapor-X Crossfire @ 930/1150 | Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 | 8GBs Patriot G2 DDR3-1600Mhz | Corsair FORCE 3 90GB SSD | 1TB WD RAID0 | Antec HCG-750 | CM HAF 932

Lonely HeatWare

RavenSEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
blinky8225
Senior Member
 
blinky8225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 564
Default

Congrats! Have you tried http://www.leangains.com/ ? Many people report getting stronger while shedding fat.
blinky8225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 37,315
Default

don't worry about cutting and gaining strength. unless you are just starting out lifting, it's very difficult to do that. once you've been lifting for a while, it's kind of a given that you will lose strength as you cut, since you are losing weight after all, and some of it is going to be muscle. the key is to try and minimize that as much as possible.

i'm in the same boat and have lost around 10lbs sine january, and my lifts definitely feel it. i can also feel it in my clothes feeling a bit looser in my arms, shoulders, and chest. but i've also moved my belt over 2 slots. i just hate how it messes with my head more than anything.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
IHateMyJob2004
Lifer
 
IHateMyJob2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 16,122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by episodic View Post
I went down because I only had a spotter for a minute, and I feel comfortable with 145 by myself.
Ciongrats! now some things ....

Are you collaring the weights when you bench? That is a no-no if you are. About 1 person dies each month in the US doing bench press. Half of the time, the root cause is people collaring the weights. You need to be able to dump them if you get stuck.


Easy ways to make gains on bench.

1)
Do shoulder mobility exercises for a month. bodybuilding.com has some good articles on this.

2)
Make sure you are using proper form. bodybuilding.com has articles on this also. Google for it. Pinching shoulder blades and contracting shoulder muscles helps a ton.

If not doing 1 and 2, I bet you could get to 2x195 or maybe even 2x200 in a month. If you already do these things, that is good. Keep at it. the gains will come.
__________________
Look at the Blackberry BB10 phones with an open mind. They are actually good!
FREE MUSIC - via torrent:
http://bt.etree.org/
or just download some free music:
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-band-showall.php 100% LEGIT!

Last edited by IHateMyJob2004; 04-12-2012 at 10:39 AM.
IHateMyJob2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
IHateMyJob2004
Lifer
 
IHateMyJob2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 16,122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
don't worry about cutting and gaining strength. unless you are just starting out lifting, it's very difficult to do that. once you've been lifting for a while, it's kind of a given that you will lose strength as you cut, since you are losing weight after all, and some of it is going to be muscle. the key is to try and minimize that as much as possible.

i'm in the same boat and have lost around 10lbs sine january, and my lifts definitely feel it. i can also feel it in my clothes feeling a bit looser in my arms, shoulders, and chest. but i've also moved my belt over 2 slots. i just hate how it messes with my head more than anything.
I've noticed that I made some gains recently.

I bascially starve myself for 4 days (calorie deficiency). Then I do 3 days of slight caloric excess.

So, if maintenance is 2500 cals, I might do this:
1900
1100
2100
1400
2600
3000
2500
-----
14600 weekly total

This is when maintenance is 17500. So, I still get a 300 calorie deficiency that is good for a pound loss each week. Those few days of excess calories seems to help though. Might be psycological though. I can't miss exercise days though. I have to keep the metablism up.
__________________
Look at the Blackberry BB10 phones with an open mind. They are actually good!
FREE MUSIC - via torrent:
http://bt.etree.org/
or just download some free music:
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-band-showall.php 100% LEGIT!
IHateMyJob2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
Howard
Lifer
 
Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 47,258
Default

I don't understand how some people have upper body strength so close to lower body strength.
__________________
mugs, Crono for Elite

Kitchen stuff
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
Saint Nick
Lifer
 
Saint Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Land of Ooze
Posts: 17,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
I don't understand how some people have upper body strength so close to lower body strength.
My lower body is so strong compared to my upper. Makes me look sorta weird with my huge legs and skinny torso/arms
__________________
Be kind; everyone is in the midst of a struggle. | heatware (64-0-0)
Saint Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
Howard
Lifer
 
Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 47,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Nick View Post
My lower body is so strong compared to my upper. Makes me look sorta weird with my huge legs and skinny torso/arms
Yep

I can squat/DL twice what I can BP, which basically sucks ass when people ask how much you can bench
__________________
mugs, Crono for Elite

Kitchen stuff
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
SkullWalker
Member
 
SkullWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 92
Default

Congrats! I am still 45pounds away from benching own weight and my progress is slowing down
SkullWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
Whisper
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 5,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
I don't understand how some people have upper body strength so close to lower body strength.
My squat's always frustrated me, as it's only slightly higher than my bench. My guess as to why is that it's a mix of 1) never having a spotter so always being too freaked out to go heavy enough, 2) something dealing with form and/or biomechanics, and 3) recent back "tweak." That, and my bench is about my strongest (comparatively) exercise other than perhaps straight leg deadlifts, which skews things a bit.

Given that my leg press (I know, I know) is up with others who regularly squat 60-80 lbs more than me, and my deadlift is actually slightly heavier than many of theirs, leads me to believe it's probably primarily a mix of #'s 2 and 1 above. I'm also thinking with #1, it's possibly led to underdevelopment of some of the accessory muscles used in a squat that obviously aren't as important in deadlifts or leg presses.

But to the OP: congrats, and keep up the good work.
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #14
Howard
Lifer
 
Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 47,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
My squat's always frustrated me, as it's only slightly higher than my bench. My guess as to why is that it's a mix of 1) never having a spotter so always being too freaked out to go heavy enough, 2) something dealing with form and/or biomechanics, and 3) recent back "tweak." That, and my bench is about my strongest (comparatively) exercise other than perhaps straight leg deadlifts, which skews things a bit.

Given that my leg press (I know, I know) is up with others who regularly squat 60-80 lbs more than me, and my deadlift is actually slightly heavier than many of theirs, leads me to believe it's probably primarily a mix of #'s 2 and 1 above. I'm also thinking with #1, it's possibly led to underdevelopment of some of the accessory muscles used in a squat that obviously aren't as important in deadlifts or leg presses.

But to the OP: congrats, and keep up the good work.
Do you work out at home or at a gym? You shouldn't be afraid of progressively-increasing weight if you have safety bars of some sort.
__________________
mugs, Crono for Elite

Kitchen stuff
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #15
KIAman
Diamond Member
 
KIAman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,098
Default

Nice job OP! I just got up to 185lbs too, although I am 15lbs heavier than you so not my body weight yet.

Curious about squat/bench ratio.

I'm 200lbs

Squat: 5x5x265
Bench: 5x5x185

I squat around 40% higher than my bench but my body looks very proportional... I think.

As to what I eat, I really need to clean it up. I probably eat anywhere from 2800 - 3800 calories a day. I don't exactly track my ratio but I do make sure I never drink sugar drinks or eat candy or white breads or potato products.

BTW, I was stuck at 175lbs bench for the longest time until I finally got several good nights sleep and out of nowhere, 175lbs was too easy for me. I shot up to 185lbs in 1 week and it was still easy.

Sleep FTW!!!
__________________
Heatware
Paypal Verified
KIAman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.