· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 04-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #26
Bateluer
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle Jumper View Post
It's supposed to be the exact same one as the Galaxy tab 7.7

The Excite 7.7 has a better screen than the iPad 3 which matters to some people. Besides the iPad 2 was heavier than I wanted and it looks anorexic compared to the iPad 3.
You have a link for this?
Bateluer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #27
Puddle Jumper
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateluer View Post
You have a link for this?
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/10/t...-13-announced/

The fact that it's the exact same off size as the Samsung makes their claim pretty believable IMO

Puddle Jumper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #28
Puddle Jumper
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueBert View Post
Better on what planet? I've never seen a screen close to the iPad 3's.
Assuming it's the same panel used in the Samsung the Excite has better black levels, contrast, response time, viewing angles, and color gamut compared to the iPad 3. The only area it loses at is pixel density which is not the primary factor in display quality.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #29
Bateluer
Lifer

Quote:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/10/t...-13-announced/

The fact that it's the exact same off size as the Samsung makes their claim pretty believable IMO
Alright then. Good for Toshiba. These are an improvement over their crappy Thrive models, but I still say they are pricing them poorly.
Bateluer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #30
Puddle Jumper
Platinum Member

Quote:
Alright then. Good for Toshiba. These are an improvement over their crappy Thrive models, but I still say they are pricing them poorly.
Yeah, they could be better but aren't terrible, the 10 undercuts the Transformer Prime and iPad by enough that it should get some people's attention. The 7.7 is cheap compared to it's Samsung counterpart and is also more powerful thanks to tegra 3.

The 13" model is the really odd one but i image it could be popular with people looking to view a lot of large documents or technical drawings.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #31
MrX8503
Diamond Member

Quote:
Assuming it's the same panel used in the Samsung the Excite has better black levels, contrast, response time, viewing angles, and color gamut compared to the iPad 3. The only area it loses at is pixel density which is not the primary factor in display quality.
http://www.displayblog.com/2010/09/2...etina-display/

Amoled doesn't automatically mean its better. I'm also willing to bet the ipad3 has a lower delta e. 7" is also quite small compared to 10".

As for the excite, I like that it's so thin. The radius of the corners are funky though. I still think the infinity is a better tablet.

Last edited by MrX8503; 04-10-2012 at 08:20 PM.
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #32
Puddle Jumper
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX8503 View Post
http://www.displayblog.com/2010/09/2...etina-display/

Amoled doesn't automatically mean its better. I'm also willing to bet the ipad3 has a lower delta e. 7" is also quite small compared to 10".

As for the excite, I like that it's so thin. The radius of the corners are funky though. I still think the infinity is a better tablet.
They compared Super AMOLED not Super AMOLED+ whcih is RGB instead of pentile. Besides the fact that the writer of that piece claims contrast ratio is irrelevant is enough for me to consider them a moron. I can tell the contrast difference between an iPhone 4s and Galaxy S2 under any normal lighting condition and it is very significant.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #33
badb0y
Diamond Member

Quote:
They compared Super AMOLED not Super AMOLED+ whcih is RGB instead of pentile. Besides the fact that the writer of that piece claims contrast ratio is irrelevant is enough for me to consider them a moron. I can tell the contrast difference between an iPhone 4s and Galaxy S2 under any normal lighting condition and it is very significant.
I can also see the pixels on that 7.7 inch display so it's all about preference.
Originally Posted by Neil deGrasse Tyson
God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance.
badb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #34
RaistlinZ
Diamond Member

Talking

Quote:
The Excite 7.7 tablet will be available for purchase at the beginning of June 2012 for $499.99 MSRP
i7-4770K @ 4.55GHz l ASUS Z87-Pro V Edition l Corsair H110 l Seasonic X-750 Gold l 16GB PC1866 CAS9 l 2X240 GB Seagate 600 SSD l 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 l MSI GTX 770 (1160/1925) l HAF-XB l Dell U3011
RaistlinZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:40 AM   #35
you2
Diamond Member

If it is the same as the galaxy 7.7 and there are no real issues with it; then I'll probably bite on this unit. Think book reader in the sun. $500 is pricey (the galaxy 7.7 was $600 but has just recently dropped to $500). It's the screen that is expensive; if you want to wait a few years it will drop in price. The reason I would lean towards this over the samsung is (a) it would have usa warranty (b) it has a newer processor; but mind you I'll wait for reviews full specs.
-
The 13inch would be more interesting (to me) if it had a 1080P screen; the odd size is a bit of a turn off as well as the hig price point (it really is too expensive).

Quote:
It's supposed to be the exact same one as the Galaxy tab 7.7

The Excite 7.7 has a better screen than the iPad 3 which matters to some people. Besides the iPad 2 was heavier than I wanted and it looks anorexic compared to the iPad 3.
you2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #36
Shawn
Lifer

Quote:
What's wrong with the Thrive? I just picked up a 10" Thrive for my wife for $200 and it's super fast and does everything my wife needs it for. Way cheaper than these new models.

It's got a front and rear camera and full sized hdmi, usb, and sd connections. My only complaint is it's a bit heavy.

I'm hoping though that with these new models out they don't abandon the thrive. There was supposed to be an update to ICS soon, but now Toshiba is saying the end of the year.
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote