Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > Motherboards

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #26
Dedpuhl
Lifer
 
Dedpuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Space Coast, FL
Posts: 10,336
Default

I put together my z68 rig this past Friday. It's been running like a champ, though I did have one BSOD after installing the 2nd video card (arrived today). This weekend I'm going to start overclocking.
__________________
| Heatware |

Living with you is like living in a living nightmare!!
Dedpuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #27
chedrz
Senior Member
 
chedrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central/Southeast MO
Posts: 255
Default

It's looking like I'm going to be putting a system together using this motherboard sometime in the next week or two. I'm getting a 2500K and planning on overclocking a bit with it (otherwise I'd shoot for a 2500 non-K). I've never bought an ASRock board before, but after having HORRIBLE luck with every ASUS board I've ever bought and reading about Gigabyte's boot-loop issues with Z68, this seems like the safest way to go. Anybody have any warnings of things I need to be prepared for with this board?
chedrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #28
rgallant
Golden Member
 
rgallant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedrz View Post
It's looking like I'm going to be putting a system together using this motherboard sometime in the next week or two. I'm getting a 2500K and planning on overclocking a bit with it (otherwise I'd shoot for a 2500 non-K). I've never bought an ASRock board before, but after having HORRIBLE luck with every ASUS board I've ever bought and reading about Gigabyte's boot-loop issues with Z68, this seems like the safest way to go. Anybody have any warnings of things I need to be prepared for with this board?
-not trying to derail you but , the z77 boards are out tomorrow.
-z77 are 3rd [4th?] gen. of the 1155
-the Gigabyte's mb seem to be using the same vrm as the power hungry x79 boards ,so with the new vrm controllers should be way over built for sb or ib.
lots of new tech . on the z77.
__________________
3770k [KL370]|| 3xMCR320[basement] || MR|| 655x2 ek-tops || 9xSFF21F || Vl4n
MVF WC || Evga GTX 780sc sli EK block,s
Sam 256gb 840 Pro|| HAF 932 || 8 gb Tridents 2400
W7HP-64 || 27"A850D || AX1200w || G15,G13,G500s
SB-Z -analog >Yamaha 765 AVR, 4x PSB alpha b1 ,1 x PSB alpha C1 ,10" sub
rgallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #29
chedrz
Senior Member
 
chedrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central/Southeast MO
Posts: 255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgallant View Post
-not trying to derail you but , the z77 boards are out tomorrow.
-z77 are 3rd [4th?] gen. of the 1155
-the Gigabyte's mb seem to be using the same vrm as the power hungry x79 boards ,so with the new vrm controllers should be way over built for sb or ib.
lots of new tech . on the z77.
Thanks for the info. If the computer was for me, I'd consider Z77, but it's for a friend who's not very comfortable tinkering with computers at all. I don't want him to be forced to deal with the inevitable "early adopter" issues that always seem to pop up.
chedrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #30
chubbyfatazn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedrz View Post
It's looking like I'm going to be putting a system together using this motherboard sometime in the next week or two. I'm getting a 2500K and planning on overclocking a bit with it (otherwise I'd shoot for a 2500 non-K). I've never bought an ASRock board before, but after having HORRIBLE luck with every ASUS board I've ever bought and reading about Gigabyte's boot-loop issues with Z68, this seems like the safest way to go. Anybody have any warnings of things I need to be prepared for with this board?
Nah, just plug it in and go. I had the boot loop issue on a Gigabyte before swapping to this Asrock, and for all the time I spent trying to make it go away I could've built 10 of these Asrock rigs. Lol.

As for "new tech" on the Z77s... the only notable thing IMO is the addition of onboard USB 3.0 support, and I have no use for that. I already have four ports and none of them are in use.
__________________
i5 2500k, 4.5GHz, 1.27v | H100 | Asrock Z68 E4 G3 | 32GB Ballistix LP/LV | Sapphire Dual-X 7950 | SS-760XP2 | Fractal Define XL R2
G3220 | GB H87N-WIFI | 8GB Samsung 30nm | Corsair HX620 | CM Elite 130
Dell U3011 + 2007FP | Heat | eBay
chubbyfatazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #31
Destiny
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedrz View Post
It's looking like I'm going to be putting a system together using this motherboard sometime in the next week or two. I'm getting a 2500K and planning on overclocking a bit with it (otherwise I'd shoot for a 2500 non-K). I've never bought an ASRock board before, but after having HORRIBLE luck with every ASUS board I've ever bought and reading about Gigabyte's boot-loop issues with Z68, this seems like the safest way to go. Anybody have any warnings of things I need to be prepared for with this board?
I have it running for two weeks now... and its running fine with no issues...
__________________
I joined AnAndTech to become informed so I won't get suckered by Tech Companies...

Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #32
MoInSTL
Senior Member
 
MoInSTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 342
Thumbs up

+1. After the two Gigabyte boards looped before even hitting the BIOS I went with the Extreme4 Gen3 MC deal with the i5-2500K. Because of the hassle with the Gigabyte boards I got it at the same price ($104.99). It was easy to set up and installed the bundled front USB3 bracket.

This is my first build in quite a while and I found the documentation to be a little light and part of the CD manual was in Chinese. A quick call and they are mailing another one out.

My Antec P180 is a little short so connecting the pwr, led, etc connectors was a bit of a pain...but not the board's fault. I really like the power and reset buttons on the board. I was able to make sure it fired up before connecting the tiny connectors. It also has a CMOS button on the back so no need to open the case to set jumper pins or remove the battery.

My only suggestion it to not use any of the drivers on the CD especially due to the crappy Etron USB3 drivers. Their downloads are rather slow too FWIW. Also I used the easy flash BIOS and am running BIOS version 1.20. instead of 1.0 it shipped with.

Last edited by MoInSTL; 04-10-2012 at 02:03 PM.
MoInSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #33
chubbyfatazn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoInSTL View Post
+1. After the two Gigabyte boards looped before even hitting the BIOS I went with the Extreme4 Gen3 MC deal with the i5-2500K. Because of the hassle with the Gigabyte boards I got it at the same price ($104.99). It was easy to set up and installed the bundled front USB3 bracket.

This is my first build in quite a while and I found the documentation to be a little light and part of the CD manual was in Chinese. A quick call and they are mailing another one out.

My Antec P180 is a little short so connecting the pwr, led, etc connectors was a bit of a pain...but not the board's fault. I really like the power and reset buttons on the board. I was able to make sure it fired up before connecting the tiny connectors. It also has a CMOS button on the back so no need to open the case to set jumper pins or remove the battery.

My only suggestion it to not use any of the drivers on the CD especially due to the crappy Etron USB3 drivers. Their downloads are rather slow too FWIW. Also I used the easy flash BIOS and am running BIOS version 1.20. instead of 1.0 it shipped with.
Really? The manual that came is the thickest I've ever seen with a mobo. Lol.
__________________
i5 2500k, 4.5GHz, 1.27v | H100 | Asrock Z68 E4 G3 | 32GB Ballistix LP/LV | Sapphire Dual-X 7950 | SS-760XP2 | Fractal Define XL R2
G3220 | GB H87N-WIFI | 8GB Samsung 30nm | Corsair HX620 | CM Elite 130
Dell U3011 + 2007FP | Heat | eBay
chubbyfatazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #34
MoInSTL
Senior Member
 
MoInSTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbyfatazn View Post
Really? The manual that came is the thickest I've ever seen with a mobo. Lol.
Just my opinion. It's the thickest because there are so many languages. Lol.

I haven't built a new desktop since my AMD Athlon so a lot was new to me. Still mostly use my notebook. I've seen better manuals with a much more readable type. I should be getting the English version of the CD manual soon. I'll spend more time on it once I replace the 4X3 Sony LCD with a decent size 16X9 LED tomorrow.

Back to LED research...
MoInSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #35
chubbyfatazn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoInSTL View Post
Just my opinion. It's the thickest because there are so many languages. Lol.

I haven't built a new desktop since my AMD Athlon so a lot was new to me. Still mostly use my notebook. I've seen better manuals with a much more readable type. I should be getting the English version of the CD manual soon. I'll spend more time on it once I replace the 4X3 Sony LCD with a decent size 16X9 LED tomorrow.

Back to LED research...
True... but the only thing I needed out of that thing was the front header panel pinouts. That's all I ever use those manuals for lol.
__________________
i5 2500k, 4.5GHz, 1.27v | H100 | Asrock Z68 E4 G3 | 32GB Ballistix LP/LV | Sapphire Dual-X 7950 | SS-760XP2 | Fractal Define XL R2
G3220 | GB H87N-WIFI | 8GB Samsung 30nm | Corsair HX620 | CM Elite 130
Dell U3011 + 2007FP | Heat | eBay
chubbyfatazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.