· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #51
berryracer
Golden Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrus.eoa View Post
Don't watch "pr0n" so I don't need to be able to rewatch the "good" bits over and over. If I turn on a movie I'll watch it start to finish. I hadn't heard of potplayer until I ran across this thread...I'll have to check it out. I'm by no means an "MPC-HC" evangelist...it's just what I use because it works for what I need, and I love that it can play everything I throw at it, and as someone else said, with better quality than VLC.
I understand. But if one was so only use programs that do what he wants (which is perfectly fine by the way) they would never come to know what they're missing since they haven't seen the better quality.

Download it and run a movie with it, and youll appreciate the smoothness and high quality of the videos.

You haven't heard of it before? Sure you haven't neither have I, but it has always been there, it was previously called KMPlayer which is a very popular player that plays everything made by a Korean Programmer. PotPlayer is just the renamed new version of KM Player. It has built in skins (which actually look good) and plays any file you throw at it out of the box.

Make sure to download the 64 bit version if you have a 64 bit OS

Removed link to your website

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

[b]

Last edited by esquared; 02-21-2012 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Removed link to OP website
berryracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #52
thebigbolgna
Diamond Member

My HTPC is a Mac, So for 95% of my movie watching, I use MPlayerX. I find it's got better quality that VLC.

for years and still on laptops, I use MPC-HC for Windows. Its by far the best player I've used.
HTPC/TV Gamer: AMD X4 750K @ 4.2 GHz | MSI A88X-G45 | MSI 7850 TFIII 2GB @ 1200/1375 | 8GB DDR3-1600 Ballistix | 120GB Intel 320 | 750GB Seagate | nMedia 5000b | Insignia 50" 1080p LED | Win 8.1 Pro |
Notebook: Dell E6330 13" | Intel i7 3540M @ 3.0 GHz | Intel HD 4000 | 16GB DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | Win 8.1 Pro |
Phone: Moto X
thebigbolgna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #53
thebigbolgna
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix Leader View Post
I understand. But if one was so only use programs that do what he wants (which is perfectly fine by the way) they would never come to know what they're missing since they haven't seen the better quality.

Download it and run a movie with it, and youll appreciate the smoothness and high quality of the videos.

You haven't heard of it before? Sure you haven't neither have I, but it has always been there, it was previously called KMPlayer which is a very popular player that plays everything made by a Korean Programmer. PotPlayer is just the renamed new version of KM Player. It has built in skins (which actually look good) and plays any file you throw at it out of the box.

PotPlayer FTW Download

I'll give it a try on my laptop (which sadly only is about 5% of my viewing, as stated above). I'm always interested in possibly better things, who isn't.

BTW, that screenshot is pretty useless without a comparison shot.
HTPC/TV Gamer: AMD X4 750K @ 4.2 GHz | MSI A88X-G45 | MSI 7850 TFIII 2GB @ 1200/1375 | 8GB DDR3-1600 Ballistix | 120GB Intel 320 | 750GB Seagate | nMedia 5000b | Insignia 50" 1080p LED | Win 8.1 Pro |
Notebook: Dell E6330 13" | Intel i7 3540M @ 3.0 GHz | Intel HD 4000 | 16GB DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | Win 8.1 Pro |
Phone: Moto X
thebigbolgna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #54
berryracer
Golden Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_the_giant View Post
BTW, that screenshot is pretty useless without a comparison shot.
Well it's ust a screen shot to show you what the program looks like not like it's a review or anything...

feel free to try it out for yourself

Quote:
In order to stop PotPlayer from being displayed in the notification bar, simple press F5 to go to Preferences, then in the options, set "Tray Icon" to Do not show, then hit apply and ok!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #55
atrus.eoa

Quote:

PotPlayer FTW Download

Always like finding out about new software. So, thanks.
atrus.eoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #56
lowrider69

Quote:
ROFLMAO!! What's a codec pack?? LOL

No seriously, this is so 2000. Nowadays the media players play everything out of the box
F**k codec packs. I stayed away from them in 2000 and still do, they're nothing but trouble and often come with malware as a bonus.
lowrider69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #57
berryracer
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrus.eoa View Post
Always like finding out about new software. So, thanks.
Let us know what you think of it when you try it
Old 02-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #58
berryracer
Golden Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider69 View Post
F**k codec packs. I stayed away from them in 2000 and still do, they're nothing but trouble and often come with malware as a bonus.
d!tt0 br0
Old 02-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #59
joejoe666

Quote:

PotPlayer FTW Download
^^ thanks didn't know there was a 64bit. Downloaded and installed. any advantage to switch from 32 to 64?
joejoe666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #60
berryracer
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe666 View Post
^^ thanks didn't know there was a 64bit. Downloaded and installed. any advantage to switch from 32 to 64?
Well it is very rare, only if you have a file that is more than 3.2 GB in size (usually high quality Blue Ray or DVD rips are above 3.2 GB)

Eitherway, All my software are 64-bit and I am glad that I finally found a good and 64-bit Player. MPC-64 Bit is teh $hizn!t I hate it! Not a player for pr0n lovers as it's very slow. This PotPlayer is a dream!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #61
wseyller

actually I was looking for a new one a couple days ago. I have use vlc and also MPC for quite some time. I need something to could do two things really well. Play most video/movie files and also has a good library feature. I have a nas share with many video files within genre folders with lots of metadata, and thumbnails everywhere for use with my WDTV Live Streaming Media Player. It looks really messy the way WD organizes all that stuff.

I found that Winamp Pro (not the free version) has support for mkv files, H 264 codec, bla bla. Also it displays all my video file in a very neat fashion. I can do it by folders, or it can view by all files in one list. Search bar to find what ever I need and easily make playlist.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #62
qft

Media Player Classic HomeCinema (HC) is what I typically use on my HTPC. Better video and less hardware stress than VLC in my experience.
qft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:54 AM   #63
mirandu04

when it comes to audio i use a russian software named AIMP 3;
videos i generally go with bsplayer
Old 03-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #64
donfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpiniero View Post
I must be the only person still using Winamp for music. Had to upgrade to 5.5 when I went to Windows 7, but it's pretty much the same as 2.7 was.
I still use Winamp for music and to organize my music. I see some online reviewers bashing it but it does everything I want and it never screws up and it's free.

I installed PotPlayer and the options seem pretty stark but it appears to work well. So far so good.

edit: Jeeze i just noticed this thread was from 2012....sorry guys for resurrecting it.

Truly smart people don't have to advertise......people will just know....
donfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #65
Gintaras
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryracer View Post
Just go to VLC Settings, Input and Codecs, then Enable GPU Acceleration
Thanks a lot...

Just did and 11.2 G mkv video file plays like never before....

Thanks again...
Gintaras is offline   Reply With Quote