· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 09-30-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
onethreehill

Default Seasonic Platinum PSUs

Seasonic Platinum 860W & 1000W (SS-860XP & SS-1000XP)

http://www.seasonicusa.com/Platinum_Series.htm

Brochure
http://www.seasonicusa.com/PDF/Catal...P-850-1000.pdf

SS-1000XP
http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80P...x?id=60&type=2
http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/psu...00W_Report.pdf

SS-860XP
http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/psu...60W_Report.pdf

Releasing soon?
onethreehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
lehtv
Diamond Member

*nerdboner*

Been waiting for these. Mostly for the epic praise they will receive in reviews

Also: 7 year warranty.

Last edited by lehtv; 09-30-2011 at 10:57 PM.
lehtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
subtraction

Very nice, but I am scared to hear what kind of price they will be commanding...
subtraction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:56 AM   #4
BoomerD
Lifer

I'm glad I can't justify buying one of those...My Corsair HX620 is already more than my system needs...but ooh-ooh-ooh...those are sure sweet.
BoomerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:12 AM   #5
Meghan54
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerD View Post
I'm glad I can't justify buying one of those...My Corsair HX620 is already more than my system needs...but ooh-ooh-ooh...those are sure sweet.

Wife's system has that same ps, the 620HX. Mine has the 850HX. Still have yet to see a new gold/plat. power supply that's priced good enough to make me switch either of those for a new one, given the high price of the gold/plats. out there and how long it'd take to recoup the extra cost in energy savings (years!)

Just not worth "upgrading" a power supply that's already 80plus cert'd. for a level or two higher in efficiency, if that's the only reason to upgrade. Failure, sure, spend the $$. Otherwise, I'd put the bucks into a better gpu or cpu or SSD.
-Christopher Dawson
Meghan54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
lehtv
Diamond Member

^ The 80+ silver is already really high efficiency so a gold or platinum PSU would probably pay itself back in something like 10-15 years depending on use.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #7
houe

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtraction View Post
Very nice, but I am scared to hear what kind of price they will be commanding...
$240 for the 1000

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?...82E16817151105
Old 10-05-2011, 01:22 AM   #8
MarkLuvsCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by houe View Post
Thanks for the link. I don't think the price is really terribly far off their other PSUs. The 850 gold is ~210 so for another 30 you get 1000 and its platinum efficiency is more of an afterthought on the price.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:36 AM   #9
lehtv
Diamond Member

That's actually not a bad price at all. Corsair HX1050 is $220 and a $20 MIR. But that's two efficiency grades below and manufactured by CWT.

btw I love the fact that you can switch between normal and hybrid fan modes

Last edited by lehtv; 10-05-2011 at 01:39 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #10
frostedflakes
Diamond Member

Yeah that's a nice feature. I actually don't really like the hybrid mode on my X-650 because the fan only turns on every 30-60 seconds or so, but when it does it ramps up quickly for a second or two before it shuts off. I'd rather have it running constantly at a very low RPM than short bursts of high RPM like it does in hybrid mode.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
lehtv
Diamond Member

Yeah. Mine makes that swoosh sound sometimes when the load spikes up momentarily. Then it's back to idle watts shortly afterwards, and off goes the fan.

Edit: Hmm, it seems to be the CPU cooler instead x). The fan spins up only at the highest loads I can get and at that point its sound is completely submerged in CPU and GPU fan noise.

Last edited by lehtv; 10-31-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:45 PM   #12
onethreehill

Seasonic Platinum-1000 1000W PSU Review
Quote:
Lately more and more OEMs are in a constant race against time to release the best, high wattage, 80 Plus Platinum unit. Some major players, like Enermax and SuperFlower, have already included high wattage Platinum units in their arsenal. Recent reviews were also unable to verify platinum efficiency in many real life scenarios. Achieving platinum efficiency in low capacity units may be a difficult task but doing so in a high capacity unit is much more difficult because as power climbs, energy dissipation increases too and even the smaller resistance in a conductor can lead to significant energy/efficiency losses when lots of current passes through. So Seasonic, even with their huge experience, had to study the Platinum efficiency subject extensively, something that led to their late entry in this club. Of course when you already have a very successful product like the X Series, then future plans are even harder, since you have to release something significantly improved.

Seasonic’s fresh Platinum series includes two units, with 860W and 1000W capacity. Both are fully modular, use only Japanese 105°C capacitors, have a single +12V rail and utilize a hybrid fan control which offers silent operation (more on this feature in the next pages). Today we will have the chance to test the 1000W unit (or SS-1000XP) and see how it scores against the competition.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Seasonic/P1000/
Old 11-01-2011, 10:59 PM   #13
Termie
Diamond Member

HardOCP review: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/..._supply_review

Conclusion: "The Seasonic Platinum-1000 is quite literally THE power supply on the market today."
Looking for holiday tech gifts? Check out The 2014 Holiday Buyer's Guide at The Tech Buyer's Guru!
How does RAM speed affect gaming? Find out in TBG's article Does RAM Speed Matter?
Termie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #14
lehtv
Diamond Member

I knew Seasonic would impress. Didn't expect anything less. Seriously, 2% voltage regulation? Corsair HX1050 does 3-4%. And add the hybrid fan control and two grades better efficiency, the Platinum 1000W is actually not that expensive at $40 more than HX1050.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:55 PM   #15
houe

Sure 2% regulation is cool, but does it really make much of a difference compared to say 5%? The computers are going to run the same...
Old 11-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #16
lehtv
Diamond Member

5% is the ATX spec upper limit, I'd rather have less than that...
Old 11-02-2011, 06:28 AM   #17
Meghan54
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houe View Post
Sure 2% regulation is cool, but does it really make much of a difference compared to say 5%? The computers are going to run the same...

I'm not expert....I leave the expert opinion to JonnyGuru. But from what I've seen over the years, tighter voltage regulation, esp. under heavy loads, is usually indicative of a power supply's overall component robustness, and design and build quality.

I do understand that the ATX spec allows the major rail, the +12V rail(s), to droop to 11.4V under full output, and that computer components are designed to work with that low a voltage being fed. And, as you suggest, most bog standard computers probably aren't going to be affected by that.

But this power supply, and those built to higher standards in voltage regulation, efficiency, ripple/noise generation, etc., aren't focused at or marketed towards the mon-n-pop email/Youtube/web surfing crowd. Instead, these power supplies are focused on the enthusiast crowd, the same crowd that will overclock their cpus, gpus, and darned near anything else they can push in their builds.

And when you're overclocking, voltage regulation does become important in relation to stability of said overclocking, all else being constant (overclockability of the cpu, mb, RAM, etc.) Too much droop from the power supply's output will cause the motherboard's voltage regulators to work harder to maintain a stable platform.

And tied into that is ripple/noise control. The power supplies that can provide 1-2% voltage regulation at full load typically can also suppress ripple/noise generation very well, too. And this is another area that can affect ultimate overclocks.....the mb/cpu's VRM's aren't having to work as hard "screening" out the garbage of overly high, but within spec, ripple and noise.

Again, this is just my opinion, but seems to be borne out by serious overclockers finding it easier to achieve stability with heavy overclocks when using "overbuilt" power supplies vs. ones that just meet the ATX specs.

I'd much rather my components be fed as clean and stable an electrical signal as possible...the components shouldn't have to work as hard as they would being given an electrical signal that's within spec but dirtier and producing lower voltage than a ps that can maintain tight voltage regulation and a clean signal.

This is why I'll pay a bit extra for a power supply that has first, tight voltage regulation; second, suppresses ripple/noise generation well; third, is modular; and fourth, is efficient. For mom-n-pop, probably won't be an issue.
-Christopher Dawson
Meghan54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:33 AM   #18
onethreehill

Seasonic Platinum-1000 1000W Power Supply Review
Quote:
It seems an eternity since we heard rumblings of something new and awesome from Seasonic. A while ago, they were rumored to be working on some higher powered variants of their X series units that would clear the 80 Plus Platinum certification level as well. Folks, the rumors are now fact - the new Platinum models have landed. I've got the 1kW model on my bench. Let's take a good, hard, look at what it can do.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=264
Old 11-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #19
BoomerD
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by onethreehill View Post
Seasonic Platinum-1000 1000W Power Supply Review

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=264
That's f*cking impressive...

Quote:
Performance 10
Functionality 10
Value 10
Build Quality 9
Total Score 9.8
Makes me wish I had a need for something that powerful.
BoomerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #20
boxleitnerb
Platinum Member

Nice review! Only thing that bugs me is, that they never measure fan noise. So a comprehensive review and then just nothing in that department. That's a bit disappointing.
boxleitnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #21
lehtv
Diamond Member

If they were unable to measure fan noise, it says something about how quiet the unit is
Old 11-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #22
boxleitnerb
Platinum Member

They don't measure it in general in their reviews. That's why I switched to kitguru a while back. Their reviews are top notch in that regard
Old 11-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #23
gevorg
Diamond Member

Nice to see that JonnyGuru dropped scoring "Aesthetics" and instead have "Build Quality". Its a PSU, not designer swimwear.
gevorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #24
gevorg
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxleitnerb View Post
They don't measure it in general in their reviews. That's why I switched to kitguru a while back. Their reviews are top notch in that regard
Does kitguru measures fan noise in anechoic chamber like SilentPCReview, or use some magic wand from ratshack?
gevorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #25
boxleitnerb
Platinum Member

I don't think so:
http://www.kitguru.net/site-news/ann...e-noise-about/

Still they seem to take it very seriously. SPCR doesn't test power supplies that often - they would be my number one, too.