· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 06-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #51
BoomerD
Lifer

See if the landlord will let you build a small (8x8) room in the basement around the laundry area.

That's going to be your best/easiest way to deal with this. Put good locks on the door and give your landlord a key. (since it's his building, you'll have to do that)
BoomerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #52
thedarkwolf
Diamond Member

building rooms and shit come on man. If you are that worried about voiding a warranty or something on a new washer/dryer just buy a used set off craigslist for $100-200 and drill away. Then even if they do screw with it you aren't out much.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:40 PM   #53
SparkyJJO
Lifer

1. Use the voltlock when not in use.
2. Stand guard with a shotgun in hand when in use.
3. ?????
4. Profit.

CO2 is evil. Stop breathing

"I have never understood why it is greed to want to keep the money that you've earned, but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." - Thomas Sowell
SparkyJJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:01 AM   #54
MichaelD
Lifer

The over-complication to solve problems that people go through when they are living in an apartment/sharing living space never ceases to amaze me! Here's your solution:

MOVE_THE_HELL_OUT and rent a house or apartment on your own!! It's not that difficult. It's always like this:

I'm renting a room in a 2 bedroom house. The backyard is 1 square mile in size. I park my compact car to the left of the back door. My roommate parks his compact car to the right of the back door. He always splashes mud on my car!!! OMG, what should I do???"

How about this: Park your car ANYWHERE ELSE in that 1 square mile of space?

The OP deserves to have his washer and all the clothes inside, stolen. WHY? A version of Darwinism, that's why. If you're so stupid that you would live somewhere where you actually have to consider keeping your washer/dryer "in a bubble", then you deserve whatever daily BS comes your way.

I'll put this another way: You will spend $232.01 per month in repairs/new parts/fees/taxes/penatlies just to keep your washer running and secure from your (now really pissed off) white trash neighbors. Take half that money, add it to your rent, and LIVE SOMEWHERE BETTER. DUH.

Why is it so difficult for young people to comprehend? Anywhere you're sharing rent/sharing common areas=college student trailer trash living accomodations.
MichaelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:24 AM   #55
Via
Diamond Member

Go to the guy and say:

"I'm putting in a washer and dryer, and if you don't want to chip in for the cost I'd prefer you not use it"

and go from there.
Via is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:59 AM   #56
SparkyJJO
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
The over-complication to solve problems that people go through when they are living in an apartment/sharing living space never ceases to amaze me! Here's your solution:

MOVE_THE_HELL_OUT and rent a house or apartment on your own!! It's not that difficult. It's always like this:

I'm renting a room in a 2 bedroom house. The backyard is 1 square mile in size. I park my compact car to the left of the back door. My roommate parks his compact car to the right of the back door. He always splashes mud on my car!!! OMG, what should I do???"

The OP deserves to have his washer and all the clothes inside, stolen. WHY? A version of Darwinism, that's why. If you're so stupid that you would live somewhere where you actually have to consider keeping your washer/dryer "in a bubble", then you deserve whatever daily BS comes your way.

I'll put this another way: You will spend $232.01 per month in repairs/new parts/fees/taxes/penatlies just to keep your washer running and secure from your (now really pissed off) white trash neighbors. Take half that money, add it to your rent, and LIVE SOMEWHERE BETTER. DUH.

Why is it so difficult for young people to comprehend? Anywhere you're sharing rent/sharing common areas=college student trailer trash living accomodations.
You take ATOT way too seriously.

CO2 is evil. Stop breathing

"I have never understood why it is greed to want to keep the money that you've earned, but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." - Thomas Sowell
SparkyJJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:19 AM   #57
Ghiddy

Quote:

Is this a troll post or what? There is so much here that is inaccurate that I'm not going to bother delving into all of it, other than to say the following:

(1) OMG! I put a lock on my washing machine! THE WHOLE SITUATION IS NOW TERRIBLY OVER COMPLICATED!! HOW WILL I COPE? HOW WILL I EVER MANAGE TO TURN THE KEY EVERY TIME I WANT TO USE THE UNIT??

(2) I never pondered putting anything in a bubble. I posted looking to put a lock on it. Others suggested encasing the units, which is retarded.

(3) You know nothing about my situation, where I live, and why I live there. Your rants about moving to a house are completely irrelevant.

(4) I live in an apartment, and the washer & dryer will go into the basement of the building. It's pretty common in this city for tenants to have shared access to a basement. The building I live in, the neighbors, and the neighborhood, none of those would remotely qualify as white trashy. Your rants about shared access areas are inaccurate and don't apply to this thread. Same as your asinine example of roommates parking their cars next to each other.

Further:

Quote:
How about I just tell the other tenant not to use my equipment, and preemptively put a lock in place to make sure he doesn't, and go on with my life? Oh wait, that was exactly the point of my OP.

I'm confident that I won't have to deal with "sabotage", and in the unlikely case that I do, I have no problem resolving that in appropriate manner. Other posters here are the ones who are over complicating things in terms of bringing up fringe what-if's.

Every thread on ATOT has a totally clueless poster who rails on the OP for no reason. In this thread that poster is MichaelD. Congrats.

MichaelD, I posted asking for a way to lock my washer and dryer, and you came into the thread, made a bunch of invalid assumptions, and ranted like a batshit old man about how I should move into a house and that my neighbors are poor white trash. Get a grip, man. Find a better way to pass your time.
Ghiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:26 AM   #58
Ghiddy

Quote:

Nominating MichaelD for the first official ATOT Sandy Vagina of the Year award.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:29 AM   #59
esun
Platinum Member

I think a tightly wrapped lock and chain would do it. Maybe even a flexible bike lock (doubtful he'd cut it, and you'd know if he did). Otherwise, you could epoxy two loops to the machine, one on the door and one on the side adjacent to where the door opens, then put a chain/bicycle lock there.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:04 AM   #60
Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiddy View Post
Good question. I'm not sure what the answer is. This is simply what the landlord told me. I don't see why the landlord would have any reason to lie about this. He said the coins or keys or something were jamming up the washer.
Perhaps old, prehistoric stone coins from Easter Island. Same size as those big heads.

I really want to hear more about this landlord and his legendary wisdom.
Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:15 AM   #61
0roo0roo
No Lifer

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-2i.../dp/B00004SQLW

2-3 bucks and some jb weld.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:21 AM   #62
KLin
Lifer

So what happens when the other tenant wants to hook up his own washer and dryer to use?
Old 06-28-2011, 03:23 AM   #63
0roo0roo
No Lifer

lol fancy

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-73...dp/B000UGK6VM/

http://www.amazon.com/Marinelock-MLD...xp_grid_pt_0_2

http://www.amazon.com/Combi-Bolt-CB2...xp_grid_pt_2_1

http://www.amazon.com/Schlage-855125.../dp/B0043EVD96

if the door area is simple metal

http://www.amazon.com/Lock-Key-Top-P.../dp/B004PIID2U

Last edited by 0roo0roo; 06-28-2011 at 03:26 AM.
0roo0roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:37 AM   #64
Ghiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLin View Post
So what happens when the other tenant wants to hook up his own washer and dryer to use?
Kinda messed up, but the landlord said if that happened he would tell the tenant we got he space because we asked first. And if he wants to use ours he'll have to put a deposit of at least half the value of the units.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:42 AM   #65
KLin
Lifer

At least the landlord has your back.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:02 AM   #66
Skitzer
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin3 View Post
Is your neighbor an immature douche? If not, how about talking with him and seeing if he is willing to pay half the cost and responsibly share the washer and dryer?

It might be better in the long run, since you have to live with him.
This ... have you even bothered to talk to the guy?
Skitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:22 AM   #67
rasczak
Lifer

You are better off not buying a washer and dryer. If that other tenant is as bad as the landlord says he is, then all you are asking for is a world of pain once you purchase and install it. Take the couple of hours a week to head to your local laundromat and do your laundry there.