· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

View Poll Results: Analog Clocks in Cars
Stupid, tacky, and pointless. Who can tell which arm is which when you're going 140 MPH anyway?! 30 48.39%
Totally awesome; gets all the womenz. 16 25.81%
I don't care either way, I just like to vote in polls. 16 25.81%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
CurseTheSky
Diamond Member

Default Analog Clocks in Cars

I don't get it. I see them in a number of "up-scale" (or wannabe up-scale) modern cars. They don't seem practical, and they don't seem to add anything to the bling factor, IMO.

What gives?

The where, when, and how are things that we can try to control, but in the end, it's the mark that we leave on this world that we truly have power over.
CurseTheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
Doggiedog
Lifer

Had one in my G35. I liked it.

Why do people have analog watches or wind up watches when digital ones have more functions and are more accurate?
i7 2600K @ 4.43Ghz/1.35v, Asus P8Z68 Pro, 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600, Samsung Evo 840 500GB SSD, Corsair F120 SSD <Dead>, 2x3TB 7200.14 RAID, 2x1TB 7200.11, Asus GTX 770 4GB, Seasonic X-660, CM Hyper 212+, Antec 300 Illusion, HP ZR24w, Dell U2412W, Acer AL2416W, Win7 x64 HP
Doggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
mwmorph
Diamond Member

Its nice to have one, though the time should always be mirrored in the instrument panel LCD or stereo LCD for usability.

It's a design element, plain and simplee. It's no worse than anything else like door handles or shift gate pattern. Analog clocks give a warmer feel to the cabin than does a digital clock front and center and it's not exclusive to cheap poser cars. Everything from Infiniti M series to 911s with the Sport Chrono pack to the Rolls Royce Phantom integrate an analog clock in the middle of the dash for style. Give a nicely restrained trimmed clock a nice font and clean dial and arms and it can definitely add to the feeling that whatever you're sitting in is a finely crafted machine with attention to the details.

Last edited by mwmorph; 09-12-2010 at 09:26 PM.
mwmorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
Bartman39
Super Moderator
Elite Member
For Sale/Trade
The Garage

Location: Just moved to a tent down by the river (van got repo'd)

I hated them in the GM cars and trucks... The frick`in little wind up coil crap with the funky contacts to make it work would get just a tiny bit corroded and guess what no more "thunk...!" so no worky... I took more of those silly things apart and sanded contacts till I saw the little winders in my sleep... It was a pretty slick idea though and would not drain a battery down for months but still I was glad to see it go to the way side...

I do for sure prefer analog gauges as opposed to digital and with alot of newer cars and trucks they have the black out look and that is quite nice...

HEATWARE

Last edited by Bartman39; 09-12-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Bartman39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
sdifox
No Lifer

I can't understand why it takes up so much space on the (MY06 MB E350 4Matic) dash and yet the LCD display in the centre console does not have a clock.

Also hate the puny little analogue clock that was in the early Fusions
http://primaryaccounting.ca
sdifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
Pariah
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggiedog View Post
Had one in my G35. I liked it.

Why do people have analog watches or wind up watches when digital ones have more functions and are more accurate?
Analog watches look more sophisticated and professional than a digital watch. Partly because you can do things with an analog face of a watch to add luxury/expense that you can't do with a digital. An expensive watch is a status symbol first, and a time telling piece second if at all.

In a car, the only reason to have a clock is so that you can tell time. Anything that increases the amount of time it takes me to figure out the time (ie. an analog face) is dumb. Taking a second or two to look at your watch sitting at your desk or walking in a store is not a problem, taking your eyes off the road for 2 seconds while doing 75MPH (220 ft) down the highway during rush hour could have catastrophic consequences.
Pariah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
angry hampster
Diamond Member

I've always thought they're a bit cheesy. My '84 Chevy pickup had one. YOu could hear it ticking when the motor was off.

[i5 2500k][HD4870 512mb][8GB DDR3 1600][Other Junk]

HEAT
angry hampster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #8
Doggiedog
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
Analog watches look more sophisticated and professional than a digital watch. Partly because you can do things with an analog face of a watch to add luxury/expense that you can't do with a digital. An expensive watch is a status symbol first, and a time telling piece second if at all.

In a car, the only reason to have a clock is so that you can tell time. Anything that increases the amount of time it takes me to figure out the time (ie. an analog face) is dumb. Taking a second or two to look at your watch sitting at your desk or walking in a store is not a problem, taking your eyes off the road for 2 seconds while doing 75MPH (220 ft) down the highway during rush hour could have catastrophic consequences.
It was a rhetorical question. But anything whether its the odometer, RPM gauge, radio, even digital clock will take your eyes off of the road for just as long as an analog clock.

Anyway, the G35 had multiple clocks. The analog one was mainly for the passengers. There was a clock in the dash as well.
i7 2600K @ 4.43Ghz/1.35v, Asus P8Z68 Pro, 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600, Samsung Evo 840 500GB SSD, Corsair F120 SSD <Dead>, 2x3TB 7200.14 RAID, 2x1TB 7200.11, Asus GTX 770 4GB, Seasonic X-660, CM Hyper 212+, Antec 300 Illusion, HP ZR24w, Dell U2412W, Acer AL2416W, Win7 x64 HP
Doggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:31 AM   #9
Zenmervolt
Supermoderator
The Garage
Elite member

Quote:
Anything that increases the amount of time it takes me to figure out the time (ie. an analog face) is dumb.
If you can't read an analogue clock with a near-instant glance, perhaps you should revisit that week of elementary school.

Seriously though, it doesn't take any longer to read an analogue clock than it does to read a digital one.

ZV

TANSTAAFL
Zenmervolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:42 AM   #10
Pariah
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmervolt View Post
If you can't read an analogue clock with a near-instant glance, perhaps you should revisit that week of elementary school.

Seriously though, it doesn't take any longer to read an analogue clock than it does to read a digital one.

ZV
It is inarguably easier to read a small LCD number than it is to read a small analog clock regardless of your educational level.

What point does having an analog clock that small on the center console serve? I assume it is adjustable as it doesn't even look like it is facing the driver in the photo. A $270,000 car, does that really add any class to the interior? Just looks chintzy to me.
Pariah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:13 AM   #11
Zenmervolt
Supermoderator
The Garage
Elite member

Quote:
It is inarguably easier to read a small LCD number than it is to read a small analog clock regardless of your educational level.

I was able to read that the clock read almost 6:30 before the picture even finished loading (on a 7 megabit connection). I can't imagine digital being any faster.

Seriously, it's much faster for me to glance at an analogue clock and get a +/- 5 minute time than it is to scan a digital clock. If it takes a person any appreciable amount of effort to scan an analogue clock, there's something wrong.

ZV

TANSTAAFL
Zenmervolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:42 AM   #12
TridenT
Lifer

Chrysler 300C has one. It looks outrageously stupid...
Old 09-13-2010, 03:08 AM   #13
Capt Caveman
Lifer

I have one in my Infiniti. Adds a touch of class imho. Similar to wearing a nice analog watch compared to one with a digital display.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:20 AM   #14
Malak
Lifer

Everyone knows that watches with calculators are the classiest.
Malak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:20 AM   #15
DivideBYZero
Banned

I don't have an Analoge clock in my car, but I can see why it's useful; It's always there. My car has two clock positions, one below the speedo and tacho, but this is an MFD display, so unless I have it on 'clock', it aint got no clock. The second position is the Nav display. It has the time, but it's in the center of the dash, not in my eyeline and it's in small text at the bottom of a seven inch widescreen monitor.
DivideBYZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:12 AM   #16
Throckmorton
Lifer

I wish my Jeep had ANY clock. Thanks, Chrysler beancounters
Throckmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:14 AM   #17
rh71
Lifer

out-of-place in a vehicle.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #18
KentState
Diamond Member

I like the look and it's very easy for me to tell the time. They also typically work when the ignition is off unlike most digital clocks.
KentState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #19
RedRooster
Diamond Member

I don't mind them either. I'm far more against anyone putting tape decks in cars still. THAT is low class.
RedRooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #20
exar333
Diamond Member

It can look pretty nice (like in the G35). Can also look tacky if not implemented in the right dash/car interior.
4670K @ 4.0 Ghz w/ CM 212
GTX 670 @ 1250Core/6772mhz memory
3440x1440 LG 34UM95 QHD Display
exar333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #21
PlasmaBomb
Lifer

Quote:
I was able to read that the clock read almost 6:30 before the picture even finished loading (on a 7 megabit connection). I can't imagine digital being any faster.

Seriously, it's much faster for me to glance at an analogue clock and get a +/- 5 minute time than it is to scan a digital clock. If it takes a person any appreciable amount of effort to scan an analogue clock, there's something wrong.

ZV
Yup... I spotted that it was ~ 6:30 with a glance at the shrunk image and then clicked to confirm...
Old 09-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #22
thomsbrain
Lifer

My mom's old Volvo had an analog clock in the gauge cluster that was as big as the speedometer and tach. That tells you something about the intended driving style of the car... all the time in the world.
thomsbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #23
NoCreativity
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdifox View Post
I can't understand why it takes up so much space on the (MY06 MB E350 4Matic) dash and yet the LCD display in the centre console does not have a clock.

Also hate the puny little analogue clock that was in the early Fusions
My car has that. Because of the wonderful design choice of "chrome" hands and tick marks, I can't read the time between x:30 nad x:45 because of the glare.
NoCreativity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #24
Blackjack200
Diamond Member

Quote:

ZV
I also love the intentionally dishonest way he presents it. Quick, what does the digital display right below the clock say?
Blackjack200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #25
dpodblood
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post
I wish my Jeep had ANY clock. Thanks, Chrysler beancounters
PT cruiser has one, and they aren't exactly classy (imo)...
dpodblood is offline   Reply With Quote