Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Off Topic

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2010, 12:51 AM   #26
txrandom
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,775
Default

There's a turn like this where I went to college that turned into its own lane that never merged. Even if there was a red light it wasn't necessary to stop or yield (except for pedestrians). It was annoying when people stopped for no reason.

To address the OP, there's no reason to stop there especially since the merge isn't immediate and that solid white line is suppose to prevent people crossing over.

Last edited by txrandom; 07-17-2010 at 12:54 AM.
txrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:52 AM   #27
yhelothar
Lifer
 
yhelothar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 18,033
Default

Here's the street view
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...63.66,,0,-4.97

No yield sign, just a traffic light. But that traffic light could possibly be for the lane to the left of it.
__________________
My Heatware
yhelothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:54 AM   #28
DayLaPaul
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,073
Default

Of course you have to stop. If not there would be a yield sign. What would the purpose of a yield sign even be if you didn't have to stop in the first place?
DayLaPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:56 AM   #29
txrandom
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayLaPaul View Post
Of course you have to stop. If not there would be a yield sign. What would the purpose of a yield sign even be if you didn't have to stop in the first place?
That traffic light isn't for the right most lane assuming it's like 99% of similar intersections.
txrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:56 AM   #30
BlackTigers
Diamond Member
 
BlackTigers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,495
Default

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...222.03,,0,-2.4

Same turn, but closer to where I live. That white sign says "Continuous Right Turn with Caution" and there isn't a yield sign and I've never stopped there.
BlackTigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:08 AM   #31
slayer202
Lifer
 
slayer202's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,058
Default

no stop, just yield if you need to. not sure why there is confusion
slayer202 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:10 AM   #32
Oceanas
Senior Member
 
Oceanas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayLaPaul View Post
Of course you have to stop. If not there would be a yield sign.
You don't need a yield sign if you are moving into a dedicated lane like the one shown in the OP.
Oceanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:11 AM   #33
mugs
Lifer
 
mugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 48,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer202 View Post
no stop, just yield if you need to. not sure why there is confusion
Red means stop. Not sure why there is confusion.
__________________
"Eli doesn't have what it takes to beat the Patriots in the big show. This game will be over by halftime." - PaulNEPats a.k.a. Reckoner; Super Bowl XLII

"Giants are the luckiest team I've ever seen in my entire life" - Reckoner; Super Bowl XLVI
mugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:12 AM   #34
slayer202
Lifer
 
slayer202's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugs View Post
Red means stop. Not sure why there is confusion.
except you are wrong...where are you supposed to stop?
slayer202 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:14 AM   #35
mugs
Lifer
 
mugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 48,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer202 View Post
except you are wrong...where are you supposed to stop?
You are supposed to stop before the intersection. Do you even have a driver's license? Unless there is a yield sign there, you have to stop.
__________________
"Eli doesn't have what it takes to beat the Patriots in the big show. This game will be over by halftime." - PaulNEPats a.k.a. Reckoner; Super Bowl XLII

"Giants are the luckiest team I've ever seen in my entire life" - Reckoner; Super Bowl XLVI
mugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:19 AM   #36
slayer202
Lifer
 
slayer202's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugs View Post
You are supposed to stop before the intersection. Do you even have a driver's license? Unless there is a yield sign there, you have to stop.
you are wrong. check the street view he just posted. the normal lanes have the white line painted to show where to stop. you don't need to stop on the other lane. why do you think they have those special lanes anyway? why not a normal intersection if the same rules applied? the first intersection in the OP has the dedicated lane to merge onto the intersecting street. theres no question that you don't need to stop. even without a dedicated lane all you have to do is yield.
slayer202 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:15 AM   #37
yhelothar
Lifer
 
yhelothar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 18,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugs View Post
You are supposed to stop before the intersection. Do you even have a driver's license? Unless there is a yield sign there, you have to stop.
Are you that fucking dense? Schneiderguy was kind enough to post the law straight from the horses mouth and you're still arguing? Fucking moron.
__________________
My Heatware

Last edited by yhelothar; 07-17-2010 at 05:05 AM.
yhelothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:40 AM   #38
alevasseur14
Golden Member
 
alevasseur14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: St Paul, MN
Posts: 1,760
Default

Goddamn. I'm glad I don't live in a place where almost nothing grows.
__________________
I went to Mars for a second but I'm back now and I've got t-shirts for everybody!
alevasseur14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:42 AM   #39
preslove
Lifer
 
preslove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 15,813
Default

It seems rather ambiguous, but the separate light on the right seems to be for the right-hand lane. I don't see a reason for having a separate light on the right if its not for the right hand lane.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,53.69,,0,6.99

Unless there is a yield sign that I don't see, I'm pretty sure you have to follow the right-hand light for the turn lane.
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by: binister
i find preslove guilty of being awesome
What is jesus's middle name?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ns1 View Post
...I was in it for the mutton kebabs but found myself eating penis. It happens.
preslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:47 AM   #40
BoomerD
Lifer
 
BoomerD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Where I hang my hat.
Posts: 44,964
Default

At intersections such as the one the OP has posted and in schneiderguy's diagram, you are not required to stop at the red light. That light is to control traffic in the lane to the left of the turning lane. You MAY need to yield to any pedestrians in the crosswalk, or to any traffic entering the lane on the cross street...but if the turning lane dumps into a dedicated lane on the cross street, (which it may or may not) then, as always, simply drive with caution.

Remember, the other guy is always a fucking idiot...whether you are or not may be debatable...
BoomerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:16 AM   #41
Whisper
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 5,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerD View Post
At intersections such as the one the OP has posted and in schneiderguy's diagram, you are not required to stop at the red light. That light is to control traffic in the lane to the left of the turning lane. You MAY need to yield to any pedestrians in the crosswalk, or to any traffic entering the lane on the cross street...but if the turning lane dumps into a dedicated lane on the cross street, (which it may or may not) then, as always, simply drive with caution.

Remember, the other guy is always a fucking idiot...whether you are or not may be debatable...
This. Yield to pedestrians, and yield to oncoming traffic if you aren't dumped into a dedicated lane; no need to stop outright.
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:17 AM   #42
Furyline
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,212
Default

I have a turn like that near me and if the light is red I always come to a stop at the crosswalk and then make the turn if there are no pedestrians. If there was some sign about a continuous turn or a green arrow then I'd go right through, but I'll play it safe since police here just love pulling people over.

Of course I'm sure some day I'll have a cop behind me for that turn and he'll pull me over for actually stopping there.
__________________
NU -~=
Furyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:32 AM   #43
SoCalAznGuy
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 120
Default

You are all wrong. It is yield unless a sign says you must first stop at the line on red. We cannot say for sure that this particular turn has no sign forbidding a simple yield turn.
SoCalAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:34 AM   #44
dmcowen674
No Lifer
 
dmcowen674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 54,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWing View Post
The diagram doesn't address the issue. Is the intersection marked with a Yield sign or other indication that a full stop is not required on red when making a right turn?
Have an intersection close to where I work just like this at Higgins and River Rd.

They put a No turn on Red sign and it has a green arrow as well as a red light camera. The camera flashes every car including stopped cars. One of my co-workers has gotten seven red light tickets in the last six months and shows he is stopped at every picture yet they send these tickets for $250 each.

This is 110% for revenue generation and should be outlawed.
__________________
The Gas Industry system is backwards. Instead of getting rewarded for incompetence they should be forced to lower the price thus getting lower profits while they are being incompetent.
How the Middle Class Got Screwed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB7jdjsFErM
dmcowen674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:52 AM   #45
IronWing
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 34,072
Default



Just so we are all on the same page. This diagram is wrong for the situation given in the OP. Go look at the intersection in the OP's link. The intersection in the OP has an extended merge lane on the east-west road so north bound folks turning right do not have to stop at the intersection but must yield to east bound traffic when they merge.
IronWing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:37 AM   #46
yhelothar
Lifer
 
yhelothar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 18,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWing View Post


Just so we are all on the same page. This diagram is wrong for the situation given in the OP. Go look at the intersection in the OP's link. The intersection in the OP has an extended merge lane on the east-west road so north bound folks turning right do not have to stop at the intersection but must yield to east bound traffic when they merge.
So even more reason to not stop for the turn at the particular intersection in the OP? The link says that the entire purpose of the right slip lane is so that no stopping is required. So would there be any possible cases of a right slip lane created that requires a motorist to stop? Enlighten me.
__________________
My Heatware
yhelothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:01 AM   #47
IronWing
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 34,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroidea View Post
So even more reason to not stop for the turn at the particular intersection in the OP? The link says that the entire purpose of the right slip lane is so that no stopping is required. So would there be any possible cases of a right slip lane created that requires a motorist to stop? Enlighten me.
The intersection in the OP is not the intersection in the diagram. Mixing them up just confuses the situation. In the OP intersection a stop would only be required when necessary to comply with the obligation to yield while merging and for pedestrians.

In the diagram there is no merge lane therefore folks turning right immediately enter an active east bound traffic lane. In the case where the north bound light was red, folks turning right would always have to yield to cross traffic. Many times these right turn lanes are marked with either dedicated traffic lights, stop signs, or yield signs. In the absence of such dedicated right turn lights/signs, folks turning right would be obligated to obey the north bound traffic lights and stop on red. The intent of the separate lane is to separate and clarify traffic flow and to provide shorter runs for pedestrians, not necessarily to speed traffic up.
IronWing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #48
JulesMaximus
No Lifer
 
JulesMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Diego (aka Literbike, CA)
Posts: 67,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroidea View Post
Do you need to stop at all at these special kinds of dedicated right turn lanes(NOT YOUR AVERAGE RIGHT TURN ONLY LANE).
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.000862&z=20

I could see the argument that you need to stop in case of pedestrians since there is a crosswalk. However, I have witnessed a cop drive right through quite quickly on a red. But then again, it doesn't seem like a safe assumption to assume that cops are always abiding by the law.
No, you would not need to stop there. There are relatively few intersections like that though and any normal intersection you would need to stop at. Funny thing is, there is one intersection like that near me that people stop at all the time...idiots.
__________________
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” -Frank Zappa
JulesMaximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #49
yhelothar
Lifer
 
yhelothar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 18,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWing View Post
The intersection in the OP is not the intersection in the diagram. Mixing them up just confuses the situation. In the OP intersection a stop would only be required when necessary to comply with the obligation to yield while merging and for pedestrians.

In the diagram there is no merge lane therefore folks turning right immediately enter an active east bound traffic lane. In the case where the north bound light was red, folks turning right would always have to yield to cross traffic. Many times these right turn lanes are marked with either dedicated traffic lights, stop signs, or yield signs. In the absence of such dedicated right turn lights/signs, folks turning right would be obligated to obey the north bound traffic lights and stop on red. The intent of the separate lane is to separate and clarify traffic flow and to provide shorter runs for pedestrians, not necessarily to speed traffic up.
I don't see how you could go through without stopping on a red if there's no merge lane.
The caption for the diagram clearly states that no stopping is required for that situation.
__________________
My Heatware
yhelothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:03 AM   #50
IronWing
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 34,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroidea View Post
I don't see how you could go through without stopping on a red if there's no merge lane.
The caption for the diagram clearly states that no stopping is required for that situation.
If there is a yield sign, one could proceed without stopping. In the absence of specific instruction, one would have to stop before proceeding. Also, the Federal Highway Administration sets some design standards for federally funded roads, it does not write traffic laws.

Last edited by IronWing; 07-17-2010 at 09:07 AM.
IronWing is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.