Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Off Topic

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
kermalou
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 6,237
Default Alternatives to Pitney Bowes Postage

In our office we use Pitney Bowes for our postage. I got a call today saying that we are on a month to month deal right now since our last contract is expired. The rep on the phone offered me a "upgraded machine" that would save us in ink costs, but cost more monthly.

He gave me the model number and I went to the PitneyBowes site and saw that it was about $10/month cheaper for new customers. I told him that and he said that it was for new customers only and that it doesn't include a $10 per postage refill charge.

This is such crap. They have you by the balls and since I haven't been able to find an alternative I am stuck with them.

Any ideas on other alternatives?

stamps.com isn't really an alternative since the last time we used them since we had to do double entry to print the postage.

Thanks.
__________________
o
|\_o
//

I GOT MY HAIR HIGHLIGHTED, BECAUSE I THOUGHT SOME STRANDS WERE MORE IMPORTANT THAN OTHERS (RIP MITCH HEDBERG)
kermalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
JS80
Lifer
 
JS80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 26,285
Default Alternatives to Pitney Bowes Postage

Neopost?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoberFett View Post
95% of what Craig says is stupid. The other 5% is REALLY stupid.
JS80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
BrianP
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 74
Default Alternatives to Pitney Bowes Postage

I just signed up with Endicia yesterday. It can print labels/postage by transferring in XML files. In the very short period of time I've used it, I've already integrated it with my web app to allow for automatic printing via my web-based interface.
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:07 PM   #4
KLin
Lifer
 
KLin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Phreaznaux
Posts: 28,712
Default Alternatives to Pitney Bowes Postage

http://www.usps.com
__________________
'L_'
KLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
BrianP
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 74
Default Alternatives to Pitney Bowes Postage

Quote:
Originally posted by: KLin
http://www.usps.com
If you do anything more then occasional shipping, that is a horrible solution.
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
kermalou
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 6,237
Default Alternatives to Pitney Bowes Postage

Yeah, I am just looking at something just like the PitneyBowes machine that has a built in scale and calculated the postage and prints it on the envelope.

The problems I see with Endicia and the other web postage sites are that you have to input the address and all.

I just want a quick printing of postage without having to do a lot more work.
__________________
o
|\_o
//

I GOT MY HAIR HIGHLIGHTED, BECAUSE I THOUGHT SOME STRANDS WERE MORE IMPORTANT THAN OTHERS (RIP MITCH HEDBERG)
kermalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
KLin
Lifer
 
KLin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Phreaznaux
Posts: 28,712
Default Alternatives to Pitney Bowes Postage

Good luck in your search.
__________________
'L_'
KLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
FeuerFrei
Diamond Member
 
FeuerFrei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Surface of the Earth
Posts: 5,979
Default Alternatives to Pitney Bowes Postage

Call them up and tell them you want to cancel the account because it's too expensive.

They'll put someone on the phone to hook you up with a significant discount.

That's what happened here. My office was paying Pitney Bowes $70 some per quarter (machine rental fee) and now pays somewhere in the $20-$35 range... because we asked to cancel.

Also if you mail in payment ahead of time, you won't be charged two service fees.
__________________
.
Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silent
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
FeuerFrei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:42 PM   #9
DomS
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,680
Default Alternatives to Pitney Bowes Postage

Quote:
Originally posted by: KLin
Good luck in your search.
This.

I worked at a place that had a pitney bowes machine 8 years ago. Since then EVERY office I've worked in is thrilled that I have 'experience' on one so they dont have to take the 30 minutes to show me how to use it. I keep expecting to see one in my dad's living room one of these days.
DomS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
JS80
Lifer
 
JS80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 26,285
Default Alternatives to Pitney Bowes Postage

Quote:
Originally posted by: kermalou
Yeah, I am just looking at something just like the PitneyBowes machine that has a built in scale and calculated the postage and prints it on the envelope.

The problems I see with Endicia and the other web postage sites are that you have to input the address and all.

I just want a quick printing of postage without having to do a lot more work.
What's wrong with NEOPOST? Direct competitor to Pitney Bowes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoberFett View Post
95% of what Craig says is stupid. The other 5% is REALLY stupid.
JS80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:04 PM   #11
TastesLikeChicken
Lifer
 
TastesLikeChicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: 4th fairway
Posts: 15,459
Default Alternatives to Pitney Bowes Postage

Quote:
Originally posted by: BrianP
I just signed up with Endicia yesterday. It can print labels/postage by transferring in XML files. In the very short period of time I've used it, I've already integrated it with my web app to allow for automatic printing via my web-based interface.
Same here. I've been using Endicia for over 6 months and it's a great solution. No ink to buy, since they use thermal printers, but you do have to use their labels. No charge for postage refills either.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is probably not for you.
TastesLikeChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:05 PM   #12
IceBergSLiM
Lifer
 
IceBergSLiM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: pistol wavin' new haven
Posts: 29,943
Default Alternatives to Pitney Bowes Postage

coming out ofyour pcket?

IceBergSLiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.