· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 06-14-2006, 01:45 PM   #26
theknight571
Platinum Member

Default If you were going to sail across the ocean, what size sailboat would you get?

Perhaps you can borrow this one from the coast guard.

Or build yourself one of these.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:48 PM   #27
Mo0o
Lifer

Default If you were going to sail across the ocean, what size sailboat would you get?

Maybe you should just sail around the mediterranean, you can get away with a smaller boat
Mo0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:02 PM   #28
GuitarDaddy
Lifer

I agree with a previous poster, no less than a 45 footer. I've spent quite a bit of time sailing a 36', and there is no way I would try it in one that size. Even a 45' would be scary, 55-60' would be more appropriate

This one would do nicely
2006 60ft Cape Fear

If money was of no concern this would be my choice
192ft schooner
Old 06-14-2006, 02:10 PM   #29
LordSegan
Diamond Member

Fairly small ships *can* make it across. As I recall from school the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria were very small ships on the order of 50 feet.

Nikon D3. Nikkor 14-24 FX, Nikkor 24-70mm, 24-120mm G, 70-300mm, 50mm f1.8. Tokina 11-16mm f2.8. SB-600 flash.
LordSegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:36 PM   #30
WolverineGator
Golden Member

It's not the size of the boat that matters, but I would desire 36+ feet for comfort. You need an ocean going class sailboat. These boats aren't fast performers and are more expensive than regular cruise ships (like Hunter's etc.). You will need a large and heavy ballast (12,000+ pounds) and you can expect to pay $100k for a fairly nice 20 year old 40' boat.

Does it have a Bruce anchor? How good is the auto-helm? Of course there are a lot of other details to look over and one of the most important is the condition of the motor and how many hours it has. Replacing a motor might involve ripping up the deck, so this vital component should be in excellent shape.

WolverineGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:46 PM   #31
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: GuitarDaddy
I agree with a previous poster, no less than a 45 footer. I've spent quite a bit of time sailing a 36', and there is no way I would try it in one that size. Even a 45' would be scary, 55-60' would be more appropriate

This one would do nicely
2006 60ft Cape Fear

If money was of no concern this would be my choice
192ft schooner
My Mom was planning to sail her 43' sailboat across the Atlantic a few years ago. She has sailed it from FL up the coast of the US to NY and back down and sailed it all the way down to Brazil and back.

It depends more on how the boat is made and setup than on its size. Her boat was designed as an off shore cruising boat and she and her husband could easily handle it in rough seas. I was going to try to go on their transatlantic voyage but a back injury and botched back surgery suffered by my Mom prevented her from ever realizing that dream.
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” -Frank Zappa
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:57 PM   #32
cavemanmoron
Lifer

http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/ima...hotosGallery/Constitutionsail%2002.jpg

http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/...desGallery.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Ironsides

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAJVyWTBqqY

Location Near Albany NY fn32dp to be exact. K2HAT
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=1396
cavemanmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:06 PM   #33
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

This would do just fine.
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” -Frank Zappa
Old 06-14-2006, 03:13 PM   #34
OutHouse
Lifer

anything smaller than the USS Ronald Regan is too small for me.

"Going to McDonalds for a salad is like asking a prostitute for a hug." Sean Fallon

my post are being monitored by a STALKER!
OutHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:28 PM   #35
Specop 007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: WolverineGator
It's not the size of the boat that matters, but I would desire 36+ feet for comfort. You need an ocean going class sailboat. These boats aren't fast performers and are more expensive than regular cruise ships (like Hunter's etc.). You will need a large and heavy ballast (12,000+ pounds) and you can expect to pay $100k for a fairly nice 20 year old 40' boat.

Does it have a Bruce anchor? How good is the auto-helm? Of course there are a lot of other details to look over and one of the most important is the condition of the motor and how many hours it has. Replacing a motor might involve ripping up the deck, so this vital component should be in excellent shape.

Found a few Westsail 32 footers for pretty reasonable prices. Might look into those a bit more.
Specop 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:24 PM   #36
LordMorpheus
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: K1052
This: Text
Holy crap, I'll take two!
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
-- Neal Stephenson
LordMorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:31 PM   #37
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Specop 007
Quote:
Originally posted by: WolverineGator

Found a few Westsail 32 footers for pretty reasonable prices. Might look into those a bit more.
There was a guy selling a 35' Ericson for $8k on ebay about a week ago. He was in the process of restoring it and the hull was pretty much done but it needed an engine, rigging and it had no sails. I figured it would need another $10k at least to get it in the water.

Edit-I actually called some local yards and asked about costs to finish this boat. I have a couple friends who were interested in going in on a partnership on a sailboat but the costs of finishing this boat and berthing her would have been too much.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:30 PM   #38
IronWing
Lifer

I'd get a boat exactly the same size as the ocean then I could just drive across the deck and not have to deal with all that sailing crap. God, how I hated learning those stupid sailing knots.
IronWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:50 PM   #39
WildHorse
Diamond Member

Slightly off the point, but a fascinating read for anyone thinking of sailing the world:

This guy tells the whole story starting from learning how to sail, all the way through to circumnavigating the world singlehanded in a 31 foot sailboat:

Text

WildHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:53 PM   #40
Reckoner
Lifer

Sail away with me honey
I put my heart in your hands
Sail away with me honey now, now, now
Sail away with me
What will be will be
I wanna hold you now

Crazy skies all wild above me now
Winter howling at my face
And everything I held so dear
Disappeared without a trace
Oh all the times Ive tasted love
Never knew quite what I had