· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-21-2006, 10:12 AM   #26
slsmnaz
Diamond Member

Default How much does it cost to replace a hot water heater?

Quote:
Originally posted by: skimple
Quote:
Originally posted by: slsmnaz
For most houses, go with a 50 gallon of a reputable company like AO Smith, Bradford-White or Rheem. Don't go get the Home Depot or Lowes special because they will not stand behind it.

HD & Lowes sell only name brand appliances. I bought a Richmond (Rheem) there. They don't sell a store brand, so I don't know what your comment means. Wherever you buy the water heater, the warranty will always be with the manufacturer.Prices vary widely. Do you need electric or gas? If you don't know, the easy way to tell is to see if your water heater has a vent stack coming out of the top. This will either feed into a fireplace chimney, or into a vent pipe to the outside. If you don't see a vent, then you have electric.

Water heaters are VERY easy to install. If you have flexible hoses attaching your current water heater to the water lines, you can do it yourself and save $150. If you have copper pipes connected directly to the water heater, then you have to have some skill in soldering pipe. If you haven't done this before, pay someone to do it. You'll burn up $50 buying a torch, solder, extra pipe, fittings, etc.

Tankless water heaters cost a LOT more than regular water heaters. Unless you have a houseful of people, you will not recover the cost of installing a tankless.
Correct, but you have to go through the vendor to get the warranty, it doesn't come from the manuf. directly.

It is very easy to do yourself. With IPS connections or the use of CPVC, you won't even have to solder (or buy a torch).
slsmnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:13 AM   #27
QED
Diamond Member

Quote:

You are not talking about a whole-house tankless heater, just an undercounter one.

Also, Rinnai requires that their heaters be installed by a certified installer. If not, you have no warranty.
No, I'm talking about a whole-house heater-- not just an undercounter one. But thanks for telling me what I have and what I don't have.

Actually, in all honesty it was a "whole-condo" heater as I put the unit in my 2 bedroom, 1 bath condo. If I had two bathrooms, I would have gone for a more powerful unit.

QED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:15 AM   #28
Armitage
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: Armitage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: NuclearNed
If I were to replace my water heater any time soon, I would probably go with a Rennai tankless unit.
That's your best choice, if you have gas into your home.

A water heater's price depends on the size. For most houses, go with a 50 gallon of a reputable company like AO Smith, Bradford-White or Rheem. Don't go get the Home Depot or Lowes special because they will not stand behind it.
You'll pay about twice as much compared to HD or Lowes. And I've never had a problem with HD "standing behind" their products - quite the opposite actually.
Well to put it in language you might understand, it's like the difference b/w an ECS and a DFI mobo.

Most service companies hate working on them because they don't have the parts.

There's a reason all new home water heaters go through wholesale distr. rather than HD or Lowes.
Shrug - I'll let you know how it goes in about 10 years. I had no problem walking into HD and walking out with a pressure relief valve for a friends 7 year old HD water heater - under warranty.

Armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:19 AM   #29
slsmnaz
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: MathMan
Quote:

You are not talking about a whole-house tankless heater, just an undercounter one.

Also, Rinnai requires that their heaters be installed by a certified installer. If not, you have no warranty.
No, I'm talking about a whole-house heater-- not just an undercounter one. But thanks for telling me what I have and what I don't have.

Actually, in all honesty it was a "whole-condo" heater as I put the unit in my 2 bedroom, 1 bath condo. If I had two bathrooms, I would have gone for a more powerful unit.
A whole-house GAS tankless heater for $100?(since that's what the discussion was about, not electric) Sorry if I don't believe you.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:21 AM   #30
Armitage
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

A whole-house GAS tankless heater for $100?(since that's what the discussion was about, not electric) Sorry if I don't believe you.
He already said electric - regardless, it's about an order of magnitude off from my experience so I'm curious as to what it actually is.
Armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:23 AM   #31
QED
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Reading is fundamental... I've said several times my unit is electric.
QED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:25 AM   #32
slsmnaz
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Armitage
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

He already said electric - regardless, it's about an order of magnitude off from my experience so I'm curious as to what it actually is.
I bet it's something like this and that make sense. I work in this industry and just get tired of hearing all the HD and Lowes horror stories. GJ if you got yours taken care of, but you are in the minority.

Eemax elec htr

Old 02-21-2006, 10:40 AM   #33
teckmaster
Golden Member

the tankless systems are the most efficient. Sure they cost a little more but when you are in the shower, you don't have to worry about the water going cold on you. Also from any faucet in your house you should have hot water in about 10 seconds or less.
teckmaster is offline   Reply With Quote