Question AMD Phoenix/Zen 4 APU Speculation and Discussion

Page 95 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 27, 2020
One thing I hate is that I suspect AMD is in no hurry to release client stuff as soon as it's ready because they wait for existing inventory to deplete to a certain level. They possibly try to be ambitious, create more client chips than the market wants at AMD's desired prices and then wait it out to sell those chips with discounts over the lifetime of the product, instead of giving them away to OEMs at dirtcheap prices like Intel.

Reactions: marees

SteinFG

Dec 29, 2021
One thing I hate is that I suspect AMD is in no hurry to release client stuff as soon as it's ready because they wait for existing inventory to deplete to a certain level. They possibly try to be ambitious, create more client chips than the market wants at AMD's desired prices and then wait it out to sell those chips with discounts over the lifetime of the product, instead of giving them away to OEMs at dirtcheap prices like Intel.
Don't think that's what's happening. If you're talking about desktop, AMD just prices the new generation high and waits. Zen 3, Zen 4 launched like that, and I assume Zen 5 will launch like that

Jul 27, 2020
Well sure, no company outside of Nokia under Elop is going to negligently kill its currently available products.
Why don't they try the strategy of keeping both on the market without discounting Zen 4? People who don't know any better and who just want a decent laptop will buy the Zen 4 one without being any the wiser. Same thing with Zen 4 desktop, though I can see people not wanting the 7900X(3D)/7950X(3D) at their current prices after Zen 5 launch. That's not a big deal, they should just try it and see what happens. The world isn't going to end.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
That would be very wasteful. AMD would be spending money on warehouses to hold the unsold product, and more importantly they wasted TSMC wafer allocations that could have gone towards better selling or higher margin products.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Reactions: lightmanek

Joe NYC

Platinum Member
Jun 26, 2021

Hawk Point F launches tomorrow, according to Videocardz.

I am missing the point of this CPU.

Only point I could see if some OEM is requesting it.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
I am missing the point of this CPU.

Only point I could see if some OEM is requesting it.

It s the other way around, OEMs are not interested since they want Strix/Hawk Point with a functional GPU either for laptops or office PCs, these SKUs are released to off load chips with defective GPUs on the DIY market as cheap solutions for gaming and somme basic AI, that s plainly written on AMD s slide.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
It's up on Newegg. The 8400F is a whopping $7 cheaper than the 8500G. The 8700F is $12 cheaper than the 7700.
I was discussing the exact same thing with my boss today, AMD reps are pushing for this and for once he was the first to point me to the 8500G, when you can sell 8500G with and whiout DGPU, whats the point in a 8400F at a marginal discount? Not to mention there is the 7600 with all pcie lanes.

SteinFG

Dec 29, 2021
They screwed up a bit with small phoenix, not giving it enough PCIe. Even 20 lanes would be enough, 8 for GPU, 12 for the rest. But 4 for the GPU is too small. So now they can't even convinse people to pair it with a midrange GPU, thus using the big chip for F sku. There was also a leak of strix point and kraken having only 16 PCIe lanes, which is not good.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
These are third world market products where a dollar might be a really good meal.

And it's better value than a Core i3 anyway, due to AVX-512, especially for emulation enthusiasts.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
These are third world market products where a dollar might be a really good meal.

And it's better value than a Core i3 anyway, due to AVX-512, especially for emulation enthusiasts.
Third world is all about AM4 APUs, the 4600G and the 5600G in particular are very popular. Followed by the 5700G... I3s are very unpopular, people buying the Intel brand generally go for I5 or I7s.

In fact AMD is now dealing with a little know screw up with the 4600Gs all over LA, we are talking about hundreds of malfunctioning 4600G with GPU problems, that goes from flickering on the lower part of hardware accelerated youtube videos (Amazon and Netflix too) to some games crashing.

AM5 was literally 0 until the 8500G and 8600G came along, it slowly starting to pickup, but im petty sure thats just replacing 5700G sales.

Im not sure what AMD wants with the 8400F they dont even have a good budget GPU to pair them with, as the 6400 and 6500 XT are a joke.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski