Discussion 2024 USA Election Thread: Biden and Dems might have problems in 2024 swing states - The Gaza Issue

Page 84 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Where is everyone suggesting go further left? Are you guys talking about oh, you know, so far left they don't finance and facilitate ethnic cleansing and war crimes on a grand scale? Or what exactly are these farther left positions being pushed onto Biden?
UBI, single payer healthcare?
I wouldn't call her out of touch. @K1052's viewpoint is justified as the danger is real.

We should be winning by a couple of touchdowns but it's a squeaker or a loss. Proof that we're too much puritan pride for our own good and focus on mayo vs ketchup fights vs being united and going for steak!
IIRC that's a him, not a her.

Reactions: dank69 and Paratus

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Let's face it.. its over! Trump will be POTUS47.

Last time it cost them a SCOTUS seat and Roe vs Wade due to RBG's stupidity.

Now it'll cost them a whole lot more due to this doubling down on stupid.

Biden will still get 45-47% but won't be enough to win. However that's the base. He can't lose them trying to pander to pro-idealism sharia nutcases.

Bottom line is the Muslims and Pro-Palestinians have fucked Biden over and should never be trusted again.

I've made my peace with it.

Hope those fuckers enjoy Trump and Netanyahu sipping champagne from condos build on Palestinian bodies.

We are over six months away from the election and you have already succumbed to defeatism.

Your posts do not seem to indicate that you’ve made peace with that.

Reactions: iRONic

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Not sure I've "succumbed", but I am prepared for it.

A lot of the people angry at Biden (young people especially) hopefully know what they are getting with Trump. It's their world that Climate Change has a bead on, and Trump's party happily says its a hoax. As you say, they'll build condos out of Palestinian bones (and really, any brown people that cross their path). Good luck you ladies that don't like making sammiches and pumping out rug rats.

Biden's only hope are those ladies as I've said before, them and those that want them to have their rights.

It's all Biden's too old, has alzheimers, can't walk up steps etc. I guess part of the President's job is to win crossfit competitions or something. President Ford used to trip all the time on shit. Who gives an actual fuck.

I get that Biden is too old. I agree. But end of the day, how different would a Harris presidency be from a Biden one? People are so hyper focused on the person, they need to look at policies. Does anyone think Harris would take some right turn and suddenly completely erase Biden's platform? Re-hire all the people he's brought in/bringing in to head depts? I don't think so. And that is what makes the country run, or not run (look at the complete turds that Trump appointed to ransack those depts).

And likewise, Trump. He's a complete and total asshole as a person but that's not why I'd never vote for him. I disagree with every position and policy he has, other than the need to reform H2 visas (and our reasons are likely very different, but I'll give him that anyway). If Trump died his VP would likely continue those.

Ironically I might barely be "better off" under Trump. I'm one of those oppressed white males that the Right likes to bleat about. I make enough to where at best its a wash tax-wise. Society, not better off. I have kids and want a non-shithole nation for them to live in. One can't easily pass for "white" so there's that too.

Shervan360

Sep 1, 2019
Interesting that China does not hide the data of its oil imports from Russia.

I told you, nobody takes Biden and his team seriously. :)

APU_Fusion

Dec 16, 2013
If America wants a dictator than there is nothing Biden can do. They are brainwashed and uneducated or watch propaganda all day. If they can’t grasp inflation being world wide issue due to post Covid logistics but instead blame the current President for fighting it (along with rest of world) than the ignorance campaign worked. Any woman who votes for Trump supports rape. It is that simple. They better be prepared for their hand maiden status.

Young people have no clue. They will in Trump’s second term when people they know are in camps and troops are invading their cities. Shrugs. As middle aged white guy with good stock portfolio who thinks Trump and Republicans are now a fascist party I can only shrug.

APU_Fusion

Dec 16, 2013
Interesting that China does not hide the data of its oil imports from Russia.

I told you, nobody takes Biden and his team seriously. :)
What does that even mean? What does Biden have to do with two enemies of the United States? How would he control that? Are you suggesting the US sanction China? Lololol. That will make difference. More sanctions on Russia? Lololl that will make a difference.

You think Russia and China take Trump seriously other than helping him destroy America from within? That is the true lolol

Reactions: dank69

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
In the progressive local grassroots community organizing group I am in one of our members is a professor at Rutgers University. She teaches in the humanities. Last meeting I asked her how are the kids? She said she is scared shitless. They are so young. Someone 20 years old now was 12 when Trump won. To them that is the reality of the Republican party, they have nothing to compare it to in context. So they really don't get how dire he is and think both sides suck due to that being all they know.

She sounded pretty damn pessimistic and I just hope she is wrong about her students. It is one anecdote but it was grim.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Young people have no clue. They will in Trump’s second term when people they know are in camps and troops are invading their cities.
Not sure they’re that stupid. I think they’re attempting to extort Biden into doing what is the right thing to do but it’s far more complicated and isn’t as simple as ending relationships with Israel.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
I think a lot of people underestimate the Gaza thing. We have a bunch of older pseudo intellectuals just shitting on the college kids who are anti-ethnic cleansing. They say like, who could be so dumb? Bunch of out of touch morons themselves. Probably in their 30's at least or middle-aged, and acting more dumb than the college kids they have no fucking clue about.

It's like they can't remember being 20 years old. Idealistic and passionate and very anti-war. What they are protesting against is very just, and they are very right on Biden in regards to that war. Now, are they not seeing the bigger picture? Nope, many aren't. But please tell me, wtf do you think 18-25 year olds are great at doing - zooming out of an atrocity to see the bigger picture? Give me a fucking break.

Or these pseudo-intellectuals don't even look at the history of anti-war protests being heavily skewed towards the college demographic. And now with the internet and people can see what Israel is doing, beyond the sanitized nonsense American MSM shows, I mean it can really get people riled up.

But no, let's just shit on the kids for being kids. It's not like they are on the wrong side of history with their Palestinian stance here. Israel is doing monstrous heinous things, and has been for decades. And without the US's tangible support with money and weapons, and also politically with vetoes in the UN and basic hemming and hawing with all of this - barely preventing much of anything, and actually enabling most of it - besides a brief respite of aid after being humiliated by Israel on the world stage multiple times. Looks like Rafah is still fucked. And it will be with our bombs that we provided.

Do I wish they could see the big big picture better? Of course. But welcome to reality folks. This is how college aged kids are. Not all but I'd say the majority. And you can't even say they are wrong for what they are protesting either.

Biden looks embarrassing and weak and terrible on the whole situation in Gaza. It's horrific. Of course I'm old enough to think bigger picture, but I can see the reality of what is going on with others, including the kids, unlike a few other older elitist smug dems that are fucking clueless about fundamental shit.

Most protests lose any popular support when there is vandalism, violence or harassment of others.

Not saying all recent protests have been this way, but enough to taint the well and the public is sick of it.

The funny thing is that it won't change a thing and the next president is DEFINITELY not going to have any interest in helping the Palestinians.

Instead you will see the Insurrection Act unleashed on rowdy cities/campuses and deportation of all foreign students who cause trouble.

Shervan360

Sep 1, 2019
In the progressive local grassroots community organizing group I am in one of our members is a professor at Rutgers University. She teaches in the humanities. Last meeting I asked her how are the kids? She said she is scared shitless. They are so young. Someone 20 years old now was 12 when Trump won. To them that is the reality of the Republican party, they have nothing to compare it to in context. So they really don't get how dire he is and think both sides suck due to that being all they know.

She sounded pretty damn pessimistic and I just hope she is wrong about her students. It is one anecdote but it was grim.
I agree. Because America is no longer a superpower and cannot do anything against its enemies.
I said in the following thread:

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I agree. Because America is no longer a superpower and cannot do anything against its enemies.

Ok.
ICOMO7r.png

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Isn’t Biden’s approval rating basically the same as it was during the 22’ elections? Anyone remember the red wave?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

That's how you lose re-election, the house and the senate to a treasonous tyrant!
Mmmmmm

APU_Fusion

Dec 16, 2013

Looks at American economy, military and world standing and has to laugh at that inane comment . 😂😂😂

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
Isn’t Biden’s approval rating basically the same as it was during the 22’ elections? Anyone remember the red wave?
It's 2-3 percent lower according to 538, and Trump is on the ballot this time. There's also RFK in the mix... I'm not sure it's going to be so easy to predict, but I would probably lean Trump right now. The Democrats should have selected a better candidate.

Rationally, I agree that it shouldn't REALLY REALLY matter that Biden is old, and also looks old, and moves like an old man, and sometimes has weird slips, but it does.

• Love
Reactions: Shervan360

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It's 2-3 percent lower according to 538, and Trump is on the ballot this time. There's also RFK in the mix... I'm not sure it's going to be so easy to predict, but I would probably lean Trump right now. The Democrats should have selected a better candidate.

Rationally, I agree that it shouldn't REALLY REALLY matter that Biden is old, and also looks old, and moves like an old man, and sometimes has weird slips, but it does.
This is basically a media invention as Trump at this point is constantly dozing off, incomprehensibly slurring, and dementedly rambling yet you hear nothing about his age. Any of these would be an extinction level media event for Biden.

It’s like saying in 2016 the democrats should have selected a candidate with less baggage. It misses the point that no matter who they picked something similar would have happened.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Do you not realize how fucked China is? They are in the initial phases of a meltdown.

Look at their demographic pyramid. It’s a catastrophe.

• Love
Reactions: Shervan360

Indus

Lifer
May 11, 2002
We get the government we deserve.

If Americans want a dicatorship.. that's what we'll have! Instead of Sleepy Joe.. They'll have fart bombing Trump

Yep you're right.. we're a bunch of neanderthals with guns and nukes with zero willpower to control ourselves.

Piss us off.. I dare you.. fuck I double dare you motherfucker.

You'll find out we still have tons of bombs left after bombing all of Europe, Vietnam, Laos, Iraq and Afghanistan and guess what they are smart even if we are not. They won't miss their targets!

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
This is basically a media invention as Trump at this point is constantly dozing off, incomprehensibly slurring, and dementedly rambling yet you hear nothing about his age. Any of these would be an extinction level media event for Biden.

It’s like saying in 2016 the democrats should have selected a candidate with less baggage. It misses the point that no matter who they picked something similar would have happened.
Total utter stupidity. This is pcgeek/Felix level of stupid too. Impressive.

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
Yes, I agree. Trump is older than Biden was in the previous elections, and the GOP tried playing the old card last time as well. Trump just doesn't look that old, compared to Biden. Biden looks like an old man that can sometimes barely move, talks relatively slowly, looks like he nods off, and worst of all has weird gaffs like mixing up the president of Egypt the president of Mexico. When Trump has similar things happening to him, you just kind of expect it from him because he's ignorant.

Friends of mine, that vote D, have told me that Biden is basically "full of drugs" that hold him together. I don't think that's true, but the sentiment is there. A lot of people vote Biden, even though they do kind of think that he gets confused, and he says weird things sometimes. I agree that it's the team that counts, more than just the person.

Rationally, I don't see why anyone who would've voted for the Democratic party with a different candidate would vote for the GOP now. They are completely different parties with completely different values. However, those on who would've voted for a different candidate might decide not to vote at all, which is also pretty bad in elections that will probably decided by a some tens of thousands of voters in swing states. People aren't always rational.

I don't think that Biden had any real baggage. The Hunter Biden stuff was the best thing Fox or whatever could bring up, and it was pretty dumb. I don't think that so-called swing voters took it seriously. His old age was the only thing going against him, even in the previous elections. He was a relatively safe bet, with tons of experience. I just think that the age issue is big enough now, with increased visibility of gaffs, and I think that it affects more voters than it did in the previous election.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yes, I agree. Trump is older than Biden was in the previous elections, and the GOP tried playing the old card last time as well. Trump just doesn't look that old, compared to Biden. Biden looks like an old man that can sometimes barely move, talks relatively slowly, looks like he nods off, and worst of all has weird gaffs like mixing up the president of Egypt the president of Mexico. When Trump has similar things happening to him, you just kind of expect it from him because he's ignorant.

Friends of mine, that vote D, have told me that Biden is basically "full of drugs" that hold him together. I don't think that's true, but the sentiment is there. A lot of people vote Biden, even though they do kind of think that he gets confused, and he says weird things sometimes. I agree that it's the team that counts, more than just the person.

Rationally, I don't see why anyone who would've voted for the Democratic party with a different candidate would vote for the GOP now. They are completely different parties with completely different values. However, those on who would've voted for a different candidate might decide not to vote at all, which is also pretty bad in elections that will probably decided by a some tens of thousands of voters in swing states. People aren't always rational.

I don't think that Biden had any real baggage. The Hunter Biden stuff was the best thing Fox or whatever could bring up, and it was pretty dumb. I don't think that so-called swing voters took it seriously. His old age was the only thing going against him, even in the previous elections. He was a relatively safe bet, with tons of experience. I just think that the age issue is big enough now, with increased visibility of gaffs, and I think that it affects more voters than it did in the previous election.
in 2016 Hilary was the nominee, not Biden.

To say that no matter who the Dems picked Trump would have won is stupidity on a very high level.

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
in 2016 Hilary was the nominee, not Biden.

To say that no matter who the Dems picked Trump would have won is stupidity on a very high level.
My bad, I totally missed the 2016 mention, I thought that he was referring to 2020.

I agree with you, that a different candidate (someome actually likable, probably also male) could have won against Trump.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Do yourself a favor and ignore the one-note paid troll. Wish I didn't see the replies to it but oh well.

Hillary had a number of disadvantages--decades of being the anti-christ, being a woman, having an unfortunately-shrill voice, being shit on by angry Bernie zealots who wanted their horse to win. None of it meant she wouldn't have been a good President, but candidate and president are two completely different things. Candidate Obama was god-tier, President Obama was not as good as Biden 1 (IMO of course). I'll give Trump a kind of credit, he was consistently shitty before and after getting into office. I thought he might tone it down but being an asshole is who he is. And with my "1" I'm being optimistic for once :)

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Do yourself a favor and ignore the one-note paid troll. Wish I didn't see the replies to it but oh well.

Hillary had a number of disadvantages--decades of being the anti-christ, being a woman, having an unfortunately-shrill voice, being shit on by angry Bernie zealots who wanted their horse to win. None of it meant she wouldn't have been a good President, but candidate and president are two completely different things. Candidate Obama was god-tier, President Obama was not as good as Biden 1 (IMO of course). I'll give Trump a kind of credit, he was consistently shitty before and after getting into office. I thought he might tone it down but being an asshole is who he is. And with my "1" I'm being optimistic for once :)

Right. I like Hilary, I think she would have been a good president. I voted for her and I was proud to vote for a very qualified woman to win. But she did have baggage that obviously could not be overcome in the end due to various factors, and you mentioned some of them. It's ok to recognize those things.

But to say that no matter who the Dem candidate was Trump would have won, now that is just a special kind of idiocy. That is total nonsense. That's all I was saying.

Reactions: cytg111