Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 1480 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Excellent 48 minute video by a Russian expat economist, educated in western Russia, N. Calif. and Maine. Good English with Russian accent, the guy's personable, makes sense to me. He's in Tashkent, Uzbekistan right now. I believe he calls his channel "Inside Russia."

Russians Are Disappearing | A Silent Catastrophe Is Hitting Russia Now​

One of the comments, I think is excellent:

@PowhiroMus

6 days ago
Konstatin, thankyou for your informed insights and commentary so let's discuss harsh facts as I see them.

1. Prior to Russia's first invasion of Ukraine in 2014 to militarily seize and occupy all of Crimea and part of the Donbas, Russia had a serious looming demographic crisis, an aging population and a low birthrate. A life expectancy of males among the worst in the World, females not so bad.

2. Russia's invasion in 2014 saw the West respond to punish Russia's illegal aggression breaking various treaties, many Russians decided to leave Russia, likely the best and brightest. I'm not sure of the numbers of permanent exiles versus tourists.

3. Russia's further full-scale invasion in early 2022 intended to conquer all of Ukraine, unseat and replace Ukraine's elected government failed abysmally, mostly through Russian incompetence, a major rout and a windfall for Ukraine in capturing enormous quantities of undamaged, Russia's best heavy military equipment, ammo and supplies. Russian troops fled on foot and a month later, Russia's best, most secret heavy weaponry turns up in the USA to be evaluated. Why didn't the Russians destroy it before running?

4. Yes in the South, aided by occupying Crimea, Russia took most of Zaporizhzhia and Kherson Oblasts, mostly but failed to take Odessa.

5. In the North East, Russia failed to take pro-Russian Kharkiv and were cleared from the Oblast mostly because the people said we are Ukrainian, Russia cannot take our freedom by force!

6. To the current day, Russia is ruined long-term, it has no future. Putin's war to suppress Ukraine's independence, to deny the existence and to genocide the Ukrainian People, culture, language, history and existence is doomed to fail.Firstly the entire World except for a handful of minor countries oppose Russia's illegal, barbaric aggression.Secondly over 100 countries provide Ukraine with financial and humanitarian aid.Thirdly, 55 countries provide military aid towards Ukraine's defence of its Motherland, maybe not the best of Western weaponry and munitions but what they can spare as being old, needing replacement. Russians should be worried if they ever have to face the best of Western weaponry!

7. Obviously Putin's war is the most costly, most expensive in Russia's history, a crippling drain on Russia's economy and future. Russia has been very actively launching mass attacks on well-defended Ukrainian positions increasing short of ammo for many months and has taken an insignificant amount of Ukrainian territory. Ukraine claims basically a toll of 1,000 Russians killed per day, and another 2 or 3 times severely wounded, permanently disabled for life. Basically WW1 trench warfare slaughter.

8. Now that the USA has freed its block on weapons and munitions and wealthy Europe has ramped up its industries producing munitions after decades of "sleeping", the Russian military occupiers of the Ukrainian Motherland are going to be severely punished, as all invaders should be! Many, many more Russian invaders will die or be killed if they remain on Ukrainian soil. There is nothing more dangerous than a patriot defending his family and country!

9. Back to demographics, and life expectancy, Russia ranks 100th in the World but there is a stark difference between men and women, a 10 year gap. Demographically Russia's future is bleak but Putin is making it far, far, far worse. Look at the numbers, at least 300,000 killed, another 700,000 crippled for life and most of these were the best. At least another 1 million permanently leaving Russia, maybe 3 to 5 million of generally Russia's best that won't return.Putin is indicted, subjected to an international arrest warrant if he leaves Russian protection, for the war crime of abducting Ukrainian children from their parents to be re-educated by force as "good Russians".Whatever happens, Ukraine will never again be a friend of Russia, only known as more evil, more barbaric than Hitler's Nazi invaders! A struggle that cost 14 million Ukrainian lives.

10. Industrially, Russia is undeveloped, lacks investment, depends critically on foreign technology, cannot self-produce anything of modern sophistication. Like Russia can still produce big metal battle tanks but without the West's technology, the sophisticated sensors and guidance systems they are dead meat.Russia has permanently lost access to Western sophisticated technology, goods and services, it may gain access to some but basically Russia is stuffed long-term. It will stagnate and decline while the World thrives. China may help a little but it is tenuous, China is heavily dependent on the West, its major market.I could go on but the essentially truth that Putin's regime is living in the past century, the World has moved on and perceived Russian power means nothing if you are opposed by the entire World and the norms of decency, humanity and common respect for everyone.

When your best and brightest leave for parts unknown, your reliance on foreign sources of this loss becomes greater and greater still creating a snowball effect, especially in this wartime economy that Putin put Russia in where more and more of the intellectuals of that nation are prompted to vacate the premises.

The Z people that Konstatin mentioned are what's left after the creme has either vanished or turned into meat for Putin's personal war on Ukraine. Not good for the working class of Russia where a population already in decline is affected by a situation that makes it that much worse.

So what say you, Grazzhnickhopper, just a pack of lies from a dissident traitor who tells you things that you never want to hear yet you know is the truth?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
How do you amortize a Bradley? Over 20 years? Sometimes I wonder how you dumbass boomers aren't bankrupt.
Russian propagandists like him view it as a victory if they destroy or capture massively outdated US equipment because they want to view themselves as our equals.

They don’t seem to realize if we really decided to fight them it would be a slaughter.

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
Russian propagandists like him view it as a victory if they destroy or capture massively outdated US equipment because they want to view themselves as our equals.
It isn't even that it is out of date - rather that the majority of the procurement cost has been paid for years ago, sometimes decades ago. American tax payers needn't cry about transfering depreciated assets to Ukraine who are, in many cases, realizing the only "utility" a tool of war can have.

But I suppose I can't expect anything from that guy who sees a street full of signs reading "Sieg!" and thinks "wow, these are some real winners".

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
When your best and brightest leave for parts unknown, your reliance on foreign sources of this loss becomes greater and greater still creating a snowball effect, especially in this wartime economy that Putin put Russia in where more and more of the intellectuals of that nation are prompted to vacate the premises.

The Z people that Konstatin mentioned are what's left after the creme has either vanished or turned into meat for Putin's personal war on Ukraine. Not good for the working class of Russia where a population already in decline is affected by a situation that makes it that much worse.

So what say you, Grazzhnickhopper, just a pack of lies from a dissident traitor who tells you things that you never want to hear yet you know is the truth?
Plus on the other side of this nations are going to line up rebuilding Ukraine making it a home again for millions of displaced Ukrainians. Russia? You think Russians will return after they've settled outside of the regime for more than 6 months? Hell no.
Russia is so fucked.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It isn't even that it is out of date - rather that the majority of the procurement cost has been paid for years ago, sometimes decades ago. American tax payers needn't cry about transfering depreciated assets to Ukraine who are, in many cases, realizing the only "utility" a tool of war of war can have.

But I suppose I can't expect anything from that guy who sees a street full of signs reading "Sieg!" and thinks "wow, these are some real winners".
It is out of date as well, at least by US standards. The thing is outdated US weapons are still way better than anything Russia or Ukraine can field.

But yes you are correct, in cases like this we aren’t buying a tank to give Ukraine, we are donating things we were never going to use again anyway.

Zor Prime

Golden Member
Nov 7, 1999
EW doesn't seem to be preventing strikes with JDAM-ER and AASM in the frontline area but deeper strikes are a genuine problem for GLSDB at this point. I'm sure there are a lot of people talking about GPS denial over here and how to counter it like M-Code GPS, more terrain mapping, and better INS being the major options. ATACMS does seems to be finding its targets just fine.
I watched this video this morning and recalled this post. Thought I'd share.

It talks about GPS at decent length.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Needs more Russians poking them with sticks in confusion about how such things could be built.

Meanwhile the Kremlin has lost so much armor in Ukraine that when the war ends and the scrap hits the salvage market it's gonna depress global spot steel prices.

Young Grasshopper

Nov 9, 2007
lol - do you not realize how pathetic this is?

I know right? I mean these are the same weapons you all were telling me were going to make the difference in Ukraine. Abrams and Leopard tanks were going to be ‘game changers’ in Ukraine and now they’re on display in Moscow for all the locals to point and laugh at.

Pathetic indeed.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I know right? I mean these are the same weapons you all were telling me were going to make the difference in Ukraine. Abrams and Leopard tanks were going to be ‘game changers’ in Ukraine and now they’re on display in Moscow for all the locals to point and laugh at.
When did I say any of those things? Why would you make up such transparent lies?
Pathetic indeed.
You have to admit it’s pretty pathetic to be so proud of defeating weapons so old we were literally just going to throw them out in some cases.

Then again if you’re in Russia what else are you going to be proud of?

Grabo

Apr 5, 2005

Pathetic indeed.
Yes, probably all of them.

Meanwhile, maybe most reasonable people expected a couple to be captured. Russia will likely capture one or two F16 as well, that will not stop them or the rest from being useful. I really hope Kiev can show some keepsakes from the war at some point in the future.

At the start of the war, as in the first year, most laughed at Russia's so called military might..yes Russia has learned now, and they're still treating any problem on the battlefield as "needs more glidebombs to decimate everything indiscriminately" or "needs more Russian sacrifices".

Reactions: Perknose

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yes, probably all of them.

Meanwhile, maybe most reasonable people expected a couple to be captured. Russia will likely capture one or two F16 as well, that will not stop them or the rest from being useful. I really hope Kiev can show some keepsakes from the war at some point in the future.

At the start of the war, as in the first year, most laughed at Russia's so called military might..yes Russia has learned now, and they're still treating any problem on the battlefield as "needs more glidebombs to decimate everything indiscriminately" or "needs more Russian sacrifices".
One of the primary reasons we are only shipping our old stuff to Ukraine is because of the high likelihood that some would be destroyed or captured and we didn’t want Russia to gain intelligence on our current stuff.

That being said, congrats to Russia on defeating the 1992 US Army!

Shervan360

Sep 1, 2019
Interesting that China does not hide the data of its oil imports from Russia.

I told you, nobody takes Biden and his team seriously. :)

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
They are... How else do you think UKR is putting up 5:1-10:1 K : D ratios? Those weapons and a quarry worth of grit are probably the reason Kyiv still stands.
5:1 10:1 should settle the matter relatively quick considering that Russia is only about 3-4 times the size of Ukraine. I guess there is a difference in conscription methodologies…

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Interesting that China does not hide the data of its oil imports from Russia.

I told you, nobody takes Biden and his team seriously. :)
Since you're the expert on this, please tell us precisely the ungodly discount Russia is forced to sell their oil to China for. These are desperation sales for Russia, and you know it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Since you're the expert on this, please tell us precisely the ungodly discount Russia is forced to sell their oil to China for. These are desperation sales for Russia, and you know it.
It is darkly funny how Russians are desperately attempting to convince themselves that the outcome of this war is the restored Russian empire when the far likelier scenario is Russia becoming a vassal state of China.

Shervan360

Sep 1, 2019
The decrease in Russian income is not enough to cause Russia problems.
US and European sanctions have been mocked by China.