FDA scientists have recommended that the federal government remove marijuana from its most restrictive category of drugs.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Well, I can recall back in the 60's-70's, the cops were toking just as much as everyone else. Once upon a time we were stopped at a red light at the corner of Ala Moana and Piikoi, I was in the back seat of this bug, driver firing up a fatty and right side seater was separating seeds from leaves in a shoebox 'cuz buds were already up in smoke. Cop pulls up along side on a very loud Harley, starts staring at driver through his mirrored aviators while driver is clueless exhaling his first sweet cloud of bliss. I kick the back of his seat, point to the policeman, policeman shaking his head back and forth, shotgun still rolling another 12 gauge blunt in plain sight, policeman reaches in and snatches the freshly lit joint out from between driver's fingers and points to the green light. Away we go. Things were so much simpler then.

Last edited:

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
".. police will ticket public drinking?"

Not only ticket, but arrest and jail.

Our deputies did it often. Stop a car for DUI, arrest the driver, impound the car. If any passenger was also intoxicated, they got arrested too for Public Intoxication. Something about ... 'we can't leave them out there where they might get hurt'.

Also, you can get pinched for merely having an open bottle in the car, even if you haven't touched it.
Except for the open bottle law I think you are confusing 1950's laws and police practices with the present. I practiced law from the mid-70s until a few years ago and never encountered a public intoxication case (or even heard of one). And IMO open bottle laws fit into the same category as possession of stolen property-they sound trivial and picky but are very necessary to prevent socially undesired conduct (theft, robbery and drunk driving).

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I fully understand that this is a troll post but I'll reply anyway.

I say this as someone who likes a drink. Alcohol causes way, way more social problems than weed. By several orders of magnitude!

You aren't suggesting that it's difficult to get hold of weed in the USA are you? It looks easier to get than alcohol in some places!
You can buy alcohol from convenience stores in the US.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Except for the open bottle law I think you are confusing 1950's laws and police practices with the present. I practiced law from the mid-70s until a few years ago and never encountered a public intoxication case (or even heard of one).

I've known people who've been charged with public intoxication. Mind you, it was combined with other charges such as disorderly conduct, destruction of property, assault, etc.

In my experience on a major college campus, cops don't give a shit if students are trashed in public as long as they aren't causing trouble or being too disruptive to others. Fuck around though, and they can toss that extra charge on top of w/e else.

Reactions: Zorba and dank69

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I've known people who've been charged with public intoxication. Mind you, it was combined with other charges such as disorderly conduct, destruction of property, assault, etc.

In my experience on a major college campus, cops don't give a shit if students are trashed in public as long as they aren't causing trouble or being too disruptive to others. Fuck around though, and they can toss that extra charge on top of w/e else.

Eh, I live in a major party college town. Cops will cite for open container even on private property if it's in public view.

• Wow
Reactions: Indus and iRONic

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
That is patently fucking ridiculous. Have a beer in your front yard and get busted? Insane.

Well, to be fair, they ONLY do it in student housing sections. But it's off-campus and city/local cops. Not university cops.

It is indeed ridiculous though.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
I don't mind people using weed.. the only thing I don't like about weed is doing it openly out on the street.

I don't know if it's ever happened to you.. you're driving and then all of a sudden you inhale massive amount of marijuana. Maybe you are like me and go woohoo free euphoria!

But sooner or later someone's gonna go crazy and blame their car accident on the "euphoria".

So much rather it be like alcohol.. you're allowed to buy it, drink it but not do it in public.. police will ticket public drinking?
There’s your crazy moped driver right there!

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and Indus

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Don't get me wrong, smoke of any kind is annoying for me. But that's not ground to outlaw it.
As a former cigarette smoker I'm right there with you. I actually turned into a cigarette smoke Nazi for a few months…

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Ever order a gallon of Margarita and complain there is too much ice?
Heh heh… True story: mid 80s Lafayette, Louisiana. A drive up shack called the Daiquiri Factory with a window. Large capped styrofoam cups with straws in them filled with your favorite alcoholic concoction.

Local LEO lost their minds because as long as the straw wasn't open when you left the window it wasn't considered an open container.

KY has had drive up liquor stores for 20 years.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Heh heh… True story: mid 80s Lafayette, Louisiana. A drive up shack called the Daiquiri Factory with a window. Large capped styrofoam cups with straws in them filled with your favorite alcoholic concoction.

Local LEO lost their minds because as long as the straw wasn't open when you left the window it wasn't considered an open container.

I was just mocking SaltyNuts. Can't locate the thread though.

Reactions: iRONic

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I was just mocking SaltyNuts. Can't locate the thread though.
It's not the most obvious thread title but...

• Haha

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It's not the most obvious thread title but...

yeah that is the one lol

Reactions: WelshBloke

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Eh, I live in a major party college town. Cops will cite for open container even on private property if it's in public view.
Open containers are different though. By 'public intoxication' I mean only being drunk in a public place. Open containers definitely get people busted fast if LEOs see you brown-bagging it on the street.

I can't imagine it's changed all that much, but 25 years ago there were drive-thru "beer barns" in Texas. Pull in, tell them what you want, they toss it in the trunk or back seat, you drive off.

IIRC open containers were also allowed in vehicles in Texas, as long as the driver wasn't partaking. I'll try to find some confirmation of that.

EDIT: Nope, the open container in a vehicle is illegal in Texas as well

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
What are the effects of pot vs scotch? Not your feels but the real effects?

What it is considered is just emotional horseshit.

You can take a sip of scotch and be completely sober. You can take a hit of weed and be too stoned to drive or operate heavy machinery in a safe manor. Your mind is too distracted with the mundane, thus the appeal to users.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Open containers are different though. By 'public intoxication' I mean only being drunk in a public place. Open containers definitely get people busted fast if LEOs see you brown-bagging it on the street.

I can't imagine it's changed all that much, but 25 years ago there were drive-thru "beer barns" in Texas. Pull in, tell them what you want, they toss it in the trunk or back seat, you drive off.

IIRC open containers were also allowed in vehicles in Texas, as long as the driver wasn't partaking. I'll try to find some confirmation of that.

EDIT: Nope, the open container in a vehicle is illegal in Texas as well

I'm talking on your porch, red solo cup. Cited for open container. Way less than public intox.

Reactions: Pohemi