Barrel aged gin and peanut butter whiskey

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Has anyone had either of these spirits? They seem to be taking over more and more real estate at the stores lately. What are you using them for? I can't imagine either tasting all that good.

Barrel aged gin is typically aged in whiskey or bourbon barrels, although some are aged in newly charred barrels.

The PB whiskey I see everywhere is always this Skrewball brand.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I find flavored spirits to be hit and miss... Most of them aren't appropriate for any traditional cocktails (though you can find a named recipe for virtually any combination; tasty or otherwise). Many of them do taste quite good on their own, as long as that's what you're in the mood for. We have a local distillery that makes an excellent cinnamon whiskey for instance, but again, I need to be in the mood for that and that alone.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't use it for anything, but desserts, mixed drinks are where they'd be useful.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I've tried the whiskey. There's a drink my wife likes it in, root beer and vanilla vodka I think. I think it's gross, like completely undrinkable in any form.

Reactions: stargazr

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Cheap whiskey intentionally flavored is horrifying stuff.

Spirits that are completely aged or just finished in anther type of barrel are a different animal. Some are terrible, some are meh, and some are fantastic. The last category is a relatively small list but they can be very good depending. Unfortunately they are usually fairly expensive.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I haven't tried barrel aged gin yet. But barrel aged whiskeys can be quite good, especially if done in barrel that has some sugars (like a port barrel).

Most flavored whiskeys are crap. But, that Screwball Peanut Butter one is an exception. It is quite drinkable but not something that I particularly would go out to buy. I'm more of an old fashioned or neat whiskey type, so there is no place for flavored whiskeys in my cupboard. That said, Screwball Peanut Butter is the only whiskey / scotch / bourbon that my wife likes. In fact, all my friends/family like Screwball Peanut Butter. It is just done right for those who find liquor a bit too much on its own.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I tried the whiskey before. Just straight like a regular shot. It was disgusting, but it's probably meant to be used in some sort of mixed concoction. I'm not sure what that is, but by itself, it was pretty disgusting.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I'm not big on gin in the first place, I'm not sure if I'd be into a barrel aged version. I'd try it if offered.
I also generally prefer my whiskey to be whiskey flavored, the candy flavored stuff is more for people doing shots and getting trashed IMO.

I'dluv2

Oct 21, 2022
Peanut butter whiskey has to drank cold and true it's basically for shots. Skrewball is over priced there are a couple brands that cost about 1/2 of what it does. Like Rams Point, the one in my freezer.
P B.png

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm not big on gin in the first place, I'm not sure if I'd be into a barrel aged version. I'd try it if offered.
I also generally prefer my whiskey to be whiskey flavored, the candy flavored stuff is more for people doing shots and getting trashed IMO.
I love gin and I love barrel aged stuff. I'm very much not sure about barrel aged gin though! There's a lot going on with gin flavour wise anyway and lots of it seems to be the opposite of what you get from barrel aging. Would try, probably wouldn't buy a bottle without tasting though.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I love gin and I love barrel aged stuff. I'm very much not sure about barrel aged gin though! There's a lot going on with gin flavour wise anyway and lots of it seems to be the opposite of what you get from barrel aging. Would try, probably wouldn't buy a bottle without tasting though.
I'm usually game to try barrel-aged stuff, I have scotch that's been aged in secondary barrels, got some hot sauce because it was barrel-aged (did not ultimately appreciate it).
I got some stout that was oak-aged, not full-on whiskey barrel aged, it was neat to contrast it with the more typical whiskey barrel aged stouts.

Reactions: WelshBloke

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Reading some more about Screwball it seems like it's sweetened. Lots of people using it to make PB&J shots or mixing with chocolate liqueur. Not my thing.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Just seems like a way to make bad spirits more palatable to more people.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Never tried the peanut butter one or any fancy Gins, but I love cask aged whiskies and rums. Redbreast Lustau edition is my favorite example, but there are lots of less expensive options that can be quite good too.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Never tried the peanut butter one or any fancy Gins, but I love cask aged whiskies and rums. Redbreast Lustau edition is my favorite example, but there are lots of less expensive options that can be quite good too.
I've had some Balvenie Doublewood that was quite nice.

Reactions: lxskllr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Whisky is well suited for that though. Any spirit that's dark and rich will be. Gin makes me think "Hmm...". I'd try a glass or a small bottle, but I'm dubious. Not the biggest gin fan anyway. That's mainly for summer G&Ts.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Balvenie PortWood 21 is my favorite drink of all. But I would never pay that price myself.
Ouch, i see a 21 year old portwood for around $300 a bottle. Even if its good enough to justify the price, that's too rich for my blood!

I do think I might try @nakedfrog's suggestion at some point perhaps. The 12 year doublewood exceeds my normal budget, but for a annual or semi-annual "nice bottle" that sounds damn nice.

I'm honestly a pretty big fan of drinkable budget whiskeys, something like a $20 Glen Moray Elgin Classic pleases my taste buds and my budget!

Reactions: dullard

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Balvenie PortWood 21 is my favorite drink of all. But I would never pay that price myself.
What's it going for these days? It was around $65 when I was regularly getting it. I'm guessing ~$200 now?

realtime edit:
I see BiD got it for me. Just the way things are these days. It takes a $50 bill to get in the game, and over $100 for something nice.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
What's it going for these days? It was around $65 when I was regularly getting it. I'm guessing ~$200 now?

realtime edit:
I see BiD got it for me. Just the way things are these days. It takes a $50 bill to get in the game, and over $100 for something nice.
I have my favorite liquor store's webpage bookmarked, lol

• Haha
Reactions: lxskllr

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Most of the advice I see about barrel aged gin is to substitute it for whiskey in classic whiskey cocktails. I think I would rather just have the whiskey, but can't knock it until I try it I suppose.