Discussion ***Official*** 2024 Stock Market Thread 💰

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
TSLA up 10% today. Impressive.

I bought 500 IBRX at 8.55 for a trade. Look at the 5 day chart.
Seems Musk visited China and they will be rolling out FSD there. I've heard Telsa's future is going to be FSD not EVs. If past performance in any indication, it's going to be a long time before FSD is going to live up to the promise.

Reactions: FelixDeCat

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Chipotle earnings coming up. They describe the consumer as resilient. That's code for "people willing to pay our hiked up prices".

Haven't been to one in over a year after seeing a single burrito bowl going for $20.
McDonald's earnings came in. They describe the consumer as discriminating. That's code for "people unwilling to pay our hiked up prices".

Dec 10, 2005
McDonald's earnings came in. They describe the consumer as discriminating. That's code for "people unwilling to pay our hiked up prices".
That's because fastfood is a substitutable item. Plus, most fastfood places congregate near each other, making it easier for someone to just skip one place in favor of another, especially if pricing was a concern.

bookem dano

Oct 19, 1999
Intel down 10% today. Down 33% YTD. May be a good buy to hold if you believe in Pats long term goals.

I may start buying. Their long term goals are being built about 20 minutes away from me.
I bought a very, very small amount in 2001 for $25.43. It hasn't been a great long term one at this point....I'm up 10.88% for the total gain. I haven't sold b/c I think it should get some traction at some point and its not worth selling.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I bought a very, very small amount in 2001 for $25.43. It hasn't been a great long term one at this point....I'm up 10.88% for the total gain. I haven't sold b/c I think it should get some traction at some point and its not worth selling.
Is that one share including commission cost and taxes on the dividends? Because you should be up 19% on the stock and up another 47% on dividends in that time frame if you exclude commissions and taxes.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Is that one share including commission cost and taxes on the dividends? Because you should be up 19% on the stock and up another 47% on dividends in that time frame if you exclude commissions and taxes.
Still pretty sad considering a 30 year treasury bill purchased in 2001 yielded 5.5ish percent, and would have paid 240% by now (reinvested, excluding tax drag). Bad intc

bookem dano

Oct 19, 1999
The $25 was per share. Same day I bought some AMD for slightly less...much better return on that one! AMD I did keep adding to as it fell and I still had cash flow.

INTC, I wasn't directly reinvesting dividends until 2020. Prior to that the dividends were being pooled into other assets. I was using Scottrade's FRIP option to add to things like JNJ and PG among others. The referenced gain % is what schwab is telling me. Quickens ROI% is just shy of 69%.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
PTON not doing so well. Now there are talks of potential bankruptcy.
It was $160 at its peak.. wow.
I guess the lesson was never hold memes stocks for long.

There is one thing I have learned, its that Americans love to buy exercise equipment, but they hate to exercise.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

See that's what's supposed to happen in inflationary times. Then the Corpos start cutting costs by laying off.

Course with this much inflation, Corpos would have to lay off a helluva lot of people.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It was $160 at its peak.. wow.
I guess the lesson was never hold memes stocks for long.

There is one thing I have learned, its that Americans love to buy exercise equipment, but they hate to exercise.
I wonder if Ponyo still holds any PTON or even uses the bike he was so gung-ho about.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: IEC

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Looks like you were right about housing in Canada! And I thought things in America were bad!

View attachment 98429

It's bad, and that's just housing. The same can be said for all the other costs of living such as taxes, bills, groceries, etc.

This is another interesting one too, that looks at GDP per capita and overall standard of living. One big part of the issue is the mass immigration. Resources/money is being spread more and more thin.

• Wow

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
All three major US indices are attempting to cross their all-time highs. It might not happen today, but they are all quite close.

Edit: looks like my post killed the market momentum. Next week?

Last edited:

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I'm posting this mainly so y'all can laugh at me later. In the past couple weeks I bought DTCR, GOLD and PFE. The spirits told me it was a good time to buy. Sadly, they didn't say what.

DTCR is a data center infrastructure ETF. GOLD is Barrick. It seems that a lot of miners haven't participated in the gold rally, so, crossed fingers on this one. If Pfizer were still in the DOW, it would have to be one of the dogs - get it? Dogs of the DOW? But they have a forward div. yield of 6% so I figured, what could go wrong?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I bought an ETF called TOKE. I just thought it was funny. With the US talking about legalizing weed it may actually go up, but I'm not going to put much money into that, will probably keep it mostly in VUN.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I bought an ETF called TOKE. I just thought it was funny. With the US talking about legalizing weed it may actually go up, but I'm not going to put much money into that, will probably keep it mostly in VUN.
I admire your discipline. My personal opinion is that legalizing weed nationally is going to be a high bar - and I'm someone who thinks that the Ds, at least figuratively, will crush the Rs in November. According to google, weed is legal in about half the states but if you look at who's in that group, its mainly northern, lib states. Alaska, Arkansas, Nevada, Florida and Missouri are the only ones I would consider exceptions to that rule. I think that eventually it's going to be legal everywhere but with each state putting their individual spin on the issue.

Most states like NJ I think start with medical cannabis and then when that seems safe, they legalize. But even here in NJ, the shops still discriminate with rec. weed limited to 30% THCA. Of course there's no limit on vapes and those are normally well over 80%. So it's a little silly but it's hard for me to see across the board legalization.

Hopefully, as with the feds, the other states will reschedule it from class I to III and thereby significantly reduce potential penalties, but that means you're still buying from your friendly neighborhood drug dealer/