NEW: List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 48 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 27, 2020
Behind Her Eyes S01 7/10

Murder of an innocent. Love true enough to warrant doing that? Great reveal in the season finale.

It's mostly all drama though. Patience required.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Just a reminder - Shogun was amazing. It can be difficult to follow especially if you have trouble with subtitles, but in that case, just watch it again. Personally, I think it's at least as good as The Wire, Mad Men or Breaking Bad. A quick google indicates that there'll be a season 2 but the speculation is that it will be very different.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
A quick google indicates that there'll be a season 2
??????????

.. i strongly doubt it.

the book is over. And in actual history, the battle of sekigahara is the end of the sengoku period (or technically the Azuchi-Momoyama), after which there were no more wars for 200 years.

IF they wanted to make a second season, they would only really have 2 options, either make it about the battle, but reeeeally stretch it out, or make it about some completely unrelated bullshit. If they do that, it'll be about as successful as The Hobbit compared to LOTR.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
@DigDog - Man, you do NOT know a marketing opportunity when you see one. I can virtually guarantee you there will be a second season and it will be called Shogun. It might take place 10000 years from now in a galaxy far, far away but it's coming.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Just a reminder - Shogun was amazing. It can be difficult to follow especially if you have trouble with subtitles, but in that case, just watch it again. Personally, I think it's at least as good as The Wire, Mad Men or Breaking Bad. A quick google indicates that there'll be a season 2 but the speculation is that it will be very different.
Yeah overall excellent show. Love the ending after totally expecting something else.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The quick google search I did a week ago said the exact opposite. That there will not be a season 2 because the book is done and that is how they wanted to end it. It is also a mini-series, not a show.

But they did say there are other books so they could have other shows for the other books, but no familiar characters/stories or anything so they would just be different shows, like Band of Brothers and The Pacific.

I also read that the show began starting being worked on in 2018 so it took 6 years to make it all, and right now there is nothing about a "sequel" or anything. So we'll be waiting a long time if there is a "sequel" to it.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
The Death of Stalin 6/10

It was kind of funny seeing the chaos as everyone's trying to screw each other over to fill the power vacuum and take control of the Soviet Union, rescinding Stalin's death lists while making new ones of enemies to kill, seeing Malenkov looking like a mummy, and Steve Buscemi stole the show as Khrushchev. A little disappointed Zhukov wasn't as well done. Was pretty funny when someone at Stalin's funeral made a short joke as a jab at midget ass Putin and the whole movie definitely seems like a jab at him and over the chaos Russia will be in when he dies. Not as funny as it looked in the preview but not bad.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
The Death of Stalin 6/10

It was kind of funny seeing the chaos as everyone's trying to screw each other over to fill the power vacuum and take control of the Soviet Union, rescinding Stalin's death lists while making new ones of enemies to kill, seeing Malenkov looking like a mummy, and Steve Buscemi stole the show as Khrushchev. A little disappointed Zhukov wasn't as well done. Was pretty funny when someone at Stalin's funeral made a short joke as a jab at midget ass Putin and the whole movie definitely seems like a jab at him and over the chaos Russia will be in when he dies. Not as funny as it looked in the preview but not bad.
Is Buscemi a little skinny for that role? I mean, not that anyone actually remembers Khrushchev.

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
Lucy 5/10

2014 film starring Morgan Freeman and Scarlett Johansson. Woman ends up a drug mule, smuggling a new super drug they sewed up in her body. Some of it leaked out and she......got really smart. :rolleyes:

It actually wasn't too bad for the first half, but really got silly with the CGI generated changes her body went through. Hard to believe Freeman took part in this mess.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I had some work today until mid afternoon. Walked the doggo, picked up some veggies from a local market to complete ingredients for dinner tonight, to a liquor store for a six pack, and stopped on the walk home to pick up some gummies at the dispensary. So I took half a 10mg gummy and made dinner. In my wisdom I decided to start watching The Gentlemen on Netflix. By the end of the second episode it occurred to me this is probably some of the dumbest shit I've seen in quite some time and had to turn it off.

Will try one more time when not somewhat stoned, something I don't do a lot of.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I finally, after all these years, watched The BFG. 6/10, tops. That makes it probably the best Roald Dahl movie in my opinion.

I never read his books growing up, any of them, so I don't have any sentimental childhood memories attached at all. The original Willy Wonka is OK, maybe on par with BFG. James and the Giant Peach is bad. Matilda is really bad. Fabulous Mr. Fox is atrocious. Witches is really bad.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched The Killer - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1136617/reference/

and then, i watched The Killer AGAIN because i didn't understand what the fuck was happening with the story.
What i gather is that there's (Michael Fassbender) who is a contract killer, and the first job we see him do goes ridiculously bad. A french road is maybe 40 meters wide, how the fuck do you miss with a precision rifle, scope and tripod.
Anyway, Mr Killer misses his target but kills the hooker that was with him, and has to abort the mission. As he arrives to his hideout he finds that someone's broken into it. And maybe he's upset too.
I didn't have a clue that this was a hit by his employers, who were trying to ... uhh .. clean up the evidence of the contract. Again this is fairly idiotic because nobdoy knows he did the bothced hit .. but whatevs.
So Mr Killer finds his "handler" and tortures him to get the names of the two other killers sent after him, and after a whole lot of stalking finds them and kills them, in two separate scenes of extremely different moods.

Not only i did not understand this film, i absolutely did not enjoy watching it, neither once nor twice.

The whole film seems to be more about the mood rather than anything else. It certainly isn't about the action, like John Wick, for example, but rather about this guy .. waiting, and following, and hiding in plain sight, and renting cars, and buying spy tech off of amazon, and booking airline tickets, and in general making most of his "business" through paying for all these typical 'murican services, that i thought i was watching a film about the anomynity built into these; Mr Killer has tons of fake passports, shops casually for guns, tons of rental vehicles that don't check really who rents them, tons of Easy 1 Day Shipping via Amazon & whatnot. Seriously, was this meant to be an indictment of the american service society?

i didn't like it. would not recommend. The director is David Fincher, who isn't exactly an idiot, and yeah, there's tension, but the kind of tension that you get from a documentary. For a film, i expect a script with a little more 'oomph.

6/10 - it may have a message, but doesn't know how to present it in a way that won't make you fall asleep.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i also watched
Poison (which should be called Venom, ffs)
The Rat Catcher
The Swan

which are the other three Wes Anderson shorts that follow The Wonderful Story Of Henry Sugar.
The best one was The Rat Catcher, then Poison and finally The Swan. They all have the same cast as Henry Sugar, and use the same weird set techniques. While they were not as good, they were still enjoyable, and since they run about 20 minutes each, it's a very easy to watch 1h of film. On Netflix.

7/10 (with the understanding that this is very little content, they are just sketches of stories by Roald Dahl)

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
.. but .. that's why we like it ?
Of course. I thought I'd be laughing hysterically at the chicken scene and then the chase. That's why I mentioned it could have been the edible I was on. I'm going to give it a go tonight sans any
edibles. It was late the other night and I had already taken an edible to fall asleep.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Not sure why I watched Maximum Overdrive last night from beginning to end but the nostalgia factor was pretty awesome....

For obvious reasons, I am not going to provide a rating LOL

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Not sure why I watched Maximum Overdrive last night from beginning to end but the nostalgia factor was pretty awesome....

For obvious reasons, I am not going to provide a rating LOL
1986 horror schtick by Stephen King??

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
this one if for @Muse i know he's old AF so maybe he saw it on reruns when he was young.

I watched the 1953 (!) film Julius Caesar - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045943/reference/

with Marlon "I also did Apocalypse Now" Brando, in a absolutely smashing role as Mark Anthony, for MGM's adaptation of Shakespeare's play of the same name.

I will hold my vote for now, but i am leaning on 9/10. I could never understand why Brando was considered the world's greatest actor until now, he fucking rocks Shakespeare.

Reactions: stargazr