Which battery trimmer to choose?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Just finished the first part of building a cabinet to hold all my battery powered ryobi tools:View attachment 96542

Designed some and printed some brackets to go with a 3D printed Rubbermaid fast track clips to mount the cabinet. Now need to make a face frame and a couple of doors for it. Then stain it I guess.

Nice dadoes.

Reactions: Paratus

stefs12

Aug 18, 2017
Update:

I buy this trimmer: link
And its good, but i dont find information is it possible to add a blade for him?
I was think something about this:
1 product or this product 2

What you think?
I think it is because i see this on manual, but i am beginner and not sure.

Attachments

• IMG20240423123050.jpg
    IMG20240423123050.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG20240423123115.jpg
    IMG20240423123115.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 3

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
The 3point blade is definitely out. I think it's too heavy and will tear the machine apart. It'll also be dangerous to control without bike handlebars and a full harness. The round blade, maybe... I think it might still be too heavy, and still dangerous without a harness, but it takes a less aggressive bite. To mount one of those blades you'd need a thrust plate with a 25mm arbor. It there isn't a 25mm mount on the machine that would fit the center of the blade, it won't work.

Reactions: stefs12

stefs12

Aug 18, 2017
Thank you, original blade is about 550gr, but it dont ship to my country.
LINK
I read somewhere that 3point blade is about 330gr.
Do you think that blade give all things i need to put this?
link

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Update:

I buy this trimmer: link
And its good, but i dont find information is it possible to add a blade for him?
I was think something about this:
1 product or this product 2

What you think?
I think it is because i see this on manual, but i am beginner and not sure.
The one you bought is the best of all the trimmers you have linked.

Why do you feel that you need a blade for it? A blade should only be needed for brush, bushes and vines and such.

I did not see enough in your lawn picture to need a blade, and it will be harder on the drivetrain which tends to be lighter weight on homeowner grade trimmers, to help increase battery runtime. I would not get a blade and if there is one time that you need to manually trim something with a woody stem, just do that by hand.

stefs12

Aug 18, 2017
There is 2 or 3 things why i want to get blade, if i make a mistake be free to told me.
1. Because i think its easier to put blade and not think about line, feed etc.I read that a lot people not like this, to not buy line from time to time, so its easier and more cheaper on long term to just get a blade.
2. On my path to land there is some bushes that i want to cut.
Also trimmer head have at least 300-500gr, so if i put blade instead of this its practically same weight.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It's not just the weight. It's the cutting process. Those 3 point blades are violent. They produce a lot of shock and vibration. Bump against a fencepost, and it might rip the gears apart in that machine.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
In addition to that lxskllr mentioned, it is harder to trim in general with a blade, because it is shorter, can't get under objects, can't sacrificially (accepting breakage of line) trim right up against objects without damaging that object (fences, walls, etc) or the blade or trimmer itself, throws the trimmer head sideways when it hits something hard, and can be dangerous, plus you have to resharpen the blade, balance the blade, and clean the muck off so it doesn't excessively rust or keep it oiled.

Most of the time I am trimming something, it is to get as close as possible to an object that I don't want a blade to hit, which is why I am using a trimmer in the first place instead of just running over whatever it was with a mower.

Using a blade for thing it is really needed for, or hitting it against objects, either way is likely to put enough strain on the trimmer to wear it out prematurely so in the long run it is probably cheaper to buy more line instead. If you had a large lot with enough trimming to run through line fast, then a cordless wasn't ideal for that in the first place since they have shorter runtime and need more batteries to do the same work as a gas trimmer.

Remember, you go through line because the line sheared off from hitting something harder than it is... something you don't want to hit with a blade at all, more often than not. If you have to keep a blade further away to not hit something, you can do the same with the trimmer line too.

Last edited:

stefs12

Aug 18, 2017
Thank you, i have to try both and decide which is better.
For a couple of first time i will use line of course, until i get comfortable with trimmer.
My question is, can someone confirm me that 0.095 line is 2.4mm for europe?
I am just afraid to not make mistake.
Is better round of circle line?
Which i should choose?
Also, on manual they explain how to feed line, if someone have any additional advice i listen, i am afraid to not damage machine by doing this:

hjhjhg.PNG

Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Yes 0.095 is 2.4mm. Traditional round line lasts longer and is usually the best choice, but with small underpowered trimmers that bog down, then line with sharp edges (instead of round) can help offset that.

Bump feeding line is pretty self explanatory. Only bump it hard enough to get more line to feed out. If it becomes difficult to get more line out, instead of hitting it harder than you used to, clean the muck out of the mechanism. For best life of the bump puck on the bottom, try to avoid bumping it on a hard abrasive surface like pavement.

Soak the trimmer line in water for a couple days to help it rehydrate, even the new line that came with the trimmer or is bought off the store shelf, will have dried out and works better after rehydrated, including unwinding from the spool easier when you bump it, and becoming less brittle so it doesn't snap off as easily. This does not need done every time you trim or even monthly, but perhaps once a season is not a bad idea, if your regional humidity is low.

Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
It is a typical head setup where you push the tabs on both sides simultaneously. Try propping it up, upside down, and pushing with both thumbs.

stefs12

Aug 18, 2017
Today i first try trimmer and i can say i am absolutely amazed how this is powerfull.
It cut even brushes, amazing. It have 2 speeds, when i put on number 2 it become apsolutely beast!
The only think i will want to change is little more battery life, about 30minutes i thing, maybe 25-35min.
But its soo powerfull, it excelent for what i want, i go to land, trim some grass, do some works if i need and go home, so its great for me.
If someone want, can buy another pair of batteries, but for me its ok.
Can someone told me exactly which kind of this line, its not round of square.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Hard to tell by the pics but probably just some sharp edged line like I mentioned previously. It will cut slightly better but due to lower amount of material, will wear away and sheer off faster.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Good to know it works well. Mine is still in storage and I plan to add a brush cutter attachment to it, but I might try to use it as is before I do that. It was late in the year when I bought it last year when it was on sale so never really got to try it. I'm kind of looking forward to June-July so I can test it out in my yard before I bring it on my off grid property.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Never tried it but looks expensive. I'd just get the cheapest per foot regular round 0.095" line.

I don't know who has the best deal on it these days since I'm still using a spool I bought years ago, but there's 855 ft for $30:

On Amazon here's 1280ft for $37:

Smaller quantities, depends on how much you want to shop around, considering you have to repurchase it more often. When what I have runs out, I'll probably just pick up whatever is cheapest at Home Depot or Lowes the next time I'm there at that point in time.

Last edited:

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
Thank you, so basically every line i same, just buy cheapest 0.095 and thats all?
Not exactly. There is residential grade and commercial grade, which is more expensive and lasts longer. I've been using it for the last year and feel it's worth the extra money.