Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 1412 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
People here literally argued Russia would not attack Ukraine.

And of course the goal is to attack NATO. A victory in Ukraine would give Russia the land and resources it needs. Millions more people meat for their attack waves. To make good on their constant vow to restore the Russian Empire and USSR. Any land a Russian boot has ever touched is theirs, they keep claiming this. Russia will not rest until they share a border with France, and they will only stop there due to nuclear weapons.

Part of achieving this goal is Donald Trump. If the US betrays the Alliance, we could easily flip Turkey for Russia. A war over the Baltics would be perfect for Russia to stretch our strike capability. Unless Finland wants to march to Saint Petersburg, they're going to sit their asses at home and watch Russia take their neighbors. Just as we did with Ukraine. We have a proven track record of letting Russia kill people and get away with it. Otherwise there would be a god damn blockade in place.

We let them get away with one, we are sure as hell going to allow more. They will attack NATO because they vow to do this. Because they want to call our bluff against a nuclear power, knowing we are too chicken shit to risk WW3, as we keep proving to them time and again. And they have a strategic plan involving a chaotic and divided NATO. With 10s of millions of refugees fleeing Ukraine and destabilizing Europe. Hungary is a prime example of that weakness.

Unless Europe moves into a war time economy for the production of war supplies, all Putin needs is the US to flip and stage is set. If Europe does not prepare for war, Europe will be devoured by it.

Russia has no need for land or resources, its sparsely populated and has more mineral and oil reserves than just about anywhere. It needs to develop its economy and educate its population...which it could, if putin wasnt busy feeding his people to the meat grinder.

Theres no "lebensraum" argument for russia, just the delusions of a psychopath.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Russia has no need for land or resources, its sparsely populated and has more mineral and oil reserves than just about anywhere. It needs to develop its economy and educate its population...which it could, if putin wasnt busy feeding his people to the meat grinder.

Ukraine is a good breadbasket though, with great access to the ocean. It would be a boon for their economy to hold it.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Ukraine is a good breadbasket though, with great access to the ocean. It would be a boon for their economy to hold it.

The Russians blew up the dam that made much of southern Ukraine farmable. I really do not think they care about Ukrainian resources except maybe press ganging the populace into service to attack yet more countries.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Exactly - Russia's problem is not a lack of resources, it's corruption and mismanagement.

Russians just don't want to accept this fact. They blame everyone else for their problems because accepting reality is to embarrassing.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
The Russians blew up the dam that made much of southern Ukraine farmable. I really do not think they care about Ukrainian resources except maybe press ganging the populace into service to attack yet more countries.
Fair, though that could have been a desperate 'if we can't have it nobody can' move.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I mean they are doing that with Kherson - constantly and randomly shelling civilian areas in a city they claim as part of Russia.
Lol I don't think they believe they will take/hold Kherson at this point either. I think current lines are where they're trying to draw the new map.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Lol I don't think they believe they will take/hold Kherson at this point either. I think current lines are where they're trying to draw the new map.

More likely the near/medium term goal is to capture the entirety of the oblasts they've annexed. Get the rest later because crossing the Dnipro isn't going to be remotely easy.

Reactions: Zor Prime
Nov 17, 2019
Is the tide turning in the wrong direction?

Vlad needs to be nut kicked ... hard. He needs to be shown unapologetically that his actions were wrong and that no one must ever again try to force borders militarily. He must be made out to be an example of what not to do. It must be done in a way that Xi, Fat Un and Modi cannot ignore.

trenchfoot

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Exactly - Russia's problem is not a lack of resources, it's corruption and mismanagement.

Russians just don't want to accept this fact. They blame everyone else for their problems because accepting reality is to embarrassing.

Why am I not surprised that it sounds exactly like the attitudes the Republicans have where victimhood is a feature of their party's psyche, where they've trapped themselves into being loyal to and proponents of authoritarianism.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Lebensraum is a German concept of expansionism and Völkisch nationalism

They aren't?
And you cannot tell me with a straight face that the largest country "in Europe" invading and claiming the second largest country in Europe is not a grave concern for how much bigger and stronger that makes our enemy when they come knocking for the next country, and then the next. So forth and so on.

You still seem steeped in the idea that this is the post-war era after WW2. That we are still in some kind of standoff. We are not. Russia has ended that era, has mobilized and geared its people and its economy towards outward expansion over the corpses of everyone. Russia is calling OUR bluff over WW3 and daring us to do something about it. Thus far we are failing this test. Europe is not mobilized, the US is betraying Europe, and Ukraine is suffering dearly for our inaction.

Reactions: misuspita

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
I mean they are doing that with Kherson - constantly and randomly shelling civilian areas in a city they claim as part of Russia.
To be fair, shelling russian cities is par for the course. The beatings will continue until morale improves.

See: Grozny

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Fascinating Telephone Call Between French president Emmanuel Macron and Putin a Few Days Before the Invasion of Ukraine. I like how Macron pushes back and jabs Putin regarding separatist and his interpretation of international law.

French is the language of diplomacy, there you have it. Bravo Macron. That was pretty good. Didn't change anything wrt to Putler's agenda, but it's good to know Macron has a spine plus way more brains and balls than Trump the Traitor. No wonder Trump is threatened by him.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
If he actually understood he would have acted months ago; so obviously he is willing to trade real lives for Trump's favor.

That pro life stance showing through again. I'm sure we all remember how upset the magats were over hundreds of thousands of Americans dying thanks to Trump's petulent denial over a deadly pandemic. Giving zero fucks about Ukrainians dying in large numbers? No sweat. That's insurrection loving christofascism for ya.

So tired of these culty shits, tired of feeling ashamed of them too. A lot of brave Ukrainians are dying unnecessarily, thanks to TDS thousands of miles away. I have to remind myself to think about the metric shitload of shells heading to Ukraine now, also the extra AD ammo and older ATACMS inventory.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Fascinating Telephone Call Between French president Emmanuel Macron and Putin a Few Days Before the Invasion of Ukraine. I like how Macron pushes back and jabs Putin regarding separatist and his interpretation of international law.
I like that Macron, this year, wants to defend Europe with more than just words.
Sadly, seems like a lot of Europe still is not taking the threat seriously. I mean, that's a better position than the US turning traitor... but, our flipping is even more reason for a return to militant Europe.
The killing fields await, and every year Russia moves closer to their cities.

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
I like that Macron, this year, wants to defend Europe with more than just words.
Sadly, seems like a lot of Europe still is not taking the threat seriously. I mean, that's a better position than the US turning traitor... but, our flipping is even more reason for a return to militant Europe.
The killing fields await, and every year Russia moves closer to their cities.
i actually worry for the future, Europe is good at war. A united Europe who is good at war/force projection is the end of the current rules based order / single Pol /economic sphere. I think people dont realize how big the peace dividend is , even for America who spends so much on defense. All that defense spending at the end of the day is American jobs anyway.

misuspita

Jul 15, 2006
Yeah, if EU wakes up and starts projecting military power, it will be very good... for Europe. USA has been proven a problematic protector and too much depend of the internal politics. It wasn't that way until Republican party died and was replaced by MAGA.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So this glide bomb thing fucking sucks

We took too long supplying the good stuff, now Europe needs to get actively involved.

Maybe the US should leave NATO? So we can do what we need to do without the threat of US - everything and then MAD. Or a 4 year vacation or something.