PDA

View Full Version : What recourse do I have if someone stole my FedEx package?

StormRider
10-15-2007, 08:58 PM
This is the first time I've had something stolen. Usually FedEx leaves the package on my front steps and it's there when I get home. According to FedEx's website it was delivered at about 1:00pm at my home. I got home at around 8:30pm and it isn't there.

This morning there was a truck doing plumbing work for one of my neighbors (I think he had some emergency work being done as there was a truck the night before advertising emergency home repairs) -- I'm thinking it might have been one of the workers who took it.

It was an order for 4 HP 1GB DDR2 memory chips from CostCentral so I'm out $200. Is there some kind of insurance with FedEx? Or am I out of luck?

RKS
10-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Contact the vendor, contact FedEx, if you paid via CC; contact your card issuer. Someone will take the blame. There is no way I would end-up paying for this issue.

RaistlinZ
10-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Vigilante justice.

AgaBoogaBoo
10-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by: RKS
Contact the vendor, contact FedEx, if you paid via CC; contact your card issuer. Someone will take the blame. There is no way I would end-up paying for this issue.
Fedex's portion was to take a product from the vendor and ship it to the address given, which they did. After that, someone stole it.

From what I can tell, unless something in the shipping contract says that it has to be given to you directly, this issue is not related to the vendor or Fedex. Maybe home insurance?

imported_Baloo
10-15-2007, 09:50 PM
What did FedEX say when you called them? You did call them before posting here, right?

StormRider
10-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
Originally posted by: RKS
Fedex's portion was to take a product from the vendor and ship it to the address given, which they did. After that, someone stole it.

From what I can tell, unless something in the shipping contract says that it has to be given to you directly, this issue is not related to the vendor or Fedex. Maybe home insurance?

I realize that it really is not FedEx's nor CostCentral's fault. The only one at fault is the thief who took it but I just sent email to CostCentral anyways (to see what recourse I have if any -- for example was the package insured against theft?). I also tried to file a claim on FedEx's website but got this notice:

FedEx records indicate this shipper has a claims handling agreement with FedEx. Please contact the shipper for further info.

If it was stolen by one of the plumber/worker then it was really bad luck. According to FedEx's website, the order had 2 deliver exceptions where it was sitting in their truck but for some reason it wasn't delivered.

Oct 12, 2007 6:46 PM

Delivery exception

WHITE MARSH, MD

No attempt made, delivery scheduled for next business day

3:30 AM

On FedEx vehicle for delivery

WHITE MARSH, MD

Oct 11, 2007 6:59 PM

Delivery exception

WHITE MARSH, MD

No attempt made, delivery scheduled for next business day

7:20 AM

On FedEx vehicle for delivery

WHITE MARSH, MD

If it had been delivered on either of those two prior days, I don't think it would have been stolen. It was just bad luck that it was finally delivered on a day when there was a bunch of people working next door.

But who knows? Maybe some kid took it. I'm bummed out by this. $200 is a lot of money and what's worse is that it had a $160 rebate. The worst thing is that now I will worry about ordering anything from the Internet again... and buying things from the Internet is one of the few things in life I enjoy :(

conehead433
10-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Inform the sites you order from that you want signed delivery. I have signed driver releases for FedEx and UPS so they will leave packages without my signature and have never had a problem. I live off the road a bit so it's not so much of a problem.

Alistar7
10-15-2007, 10:27 PM
O/P - buying things from the Internet is one of the few things in life I enjoy

Dump all that extra cash into lotto and hookers, sound investment advice.

You should track down and kill every handyman within a 100 mile, no make that 500 mile, radius until you get your package back. You could ask your neighboar who handled their repairs and start with them, but it makes just as much sense to leave them for last.

Use a chainsaw and lots of quicklime, update thread with pics after each slaying.

Cdubneeddeal
10-15-2007, 10:30 PM
My friend from Fedex said if the shipper did not complete the "Signature Required" field on the AWB, then Fedex is in the clear. She is also curious as to why it sat on the truck for two days.

Alistar7
10-15-2007, 10:35 PM
It has already been 8 minutes, have you killed anyone yet? Do you even have your chainsaw ready? If you are not going to be committed to action, please don't ask for good advice.

LS20
10-15-2007, 10:42 PM
1pm. home delivery. neighbors doing maintenance?

http://forums.anandtech.com/me...ght_key=y&keyword1=ups (http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=38&threadid=2106757&highlight_key=y&keyword1=ups)

StormRider
10-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by: Cdubneeddeal
My friend from Fedex said if the shipper did not complete the "Signature Required" field on the AWB, then Fedex is in the clear. She is also curious as to why it sat on the truck for two days.

Yeah, I've never seen a "delivery exception" on my traces before. And to have it happen two days in a row.

StormRider
10-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by: LS20
1pm. home delivery. neighbors doing maintenance?

http://forums.anandtech.com/me...ght_key=y&keyword1=ups (http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=38&threadid=2106757&highlight_key=y&keyword1=ups)

Wow, that's basically what happened to me. How did things resolve for you?

At the worst, I'm hoping CostCentral can remail me the invoice so I can try to get the $160 rebates back. Losing $40 is a lot easier to swallow than losing $200. The only reason I bought these sticks of memory was because of the rebates.

BigRig04
10-16-2007, 09:58 AM
alternative suggestion....if you have a neighbor that's home all the time (retired, for example) have your packages delivered there so someone can actually take it in the house. Then they can fire you an email or leave you a voicemail letting you know it's safe! :)

dahunan
10-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Call FedEx and get them to start an investigation.. There is a chance that the driver delivered it to the wrong address?

Do you have a signature release on file for your house that allows them to dump a box on your doorstep without getting a signature?

Rill22
10-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Have it delivered to your work address next time?

bGIveNs33
10-16-2007, 10:13 AM
The blame probably falls on the vendor it's their job to get the package into your hands. If they don't require a signature then they should take it up with fedex.

StormRider
10-16-2007, 10:19 AM
I remember signing a signature release form a long time ago since I've never had any problems with theft before (and I work during the day so there's no one home to sign for things). This is the first time I've had this happen to me. Unfortunately, my workplace doesn't allow for personal packages. Oh well...

iamwiz82
10-16-2007, 10:20 AM
Last time it happened to me I disputed the charges with AMEX and got my money back. The package showed up just about a month later :roll:

bGIveNs33
10-16-2007, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by: StormRider
I remember signing a signature release form a long time ago since I've never had any problems with theft before (and I work during the day so there's no one home to sign for things). This is the first time I've had this happen to me. Unfortunately, my workplace doesn't allow for personal packages. Oh well...

Well then I redact my statement.