PDA

View Full Version : What is Adobe's equivilent to Microsoft's MS Publisher?

Nocturnal
12-19-2002, 01:04 AM
Can anyone tell me what the equivilent is?

MrHappyMonkey
12-19-2002, 01:06 AM
pagemaker or inDesign

neomits
12-19-2002, 01:07 AM
I thought Pagemaker was just a web page program... guess I'm wrong

Soulflare
12-19-2002, 01:08 AM
Pagemaker is awful, and is actually worse than Publisher in many ways.
InDesign is Adobe's equivalent to Quark Express, and is much better than both Publisher and Pagemaker.

Bignate603
Originally posted by: neomits
I thought Pagemaker was just a web page program

Or is that pagemill?

Soulflare
I thought Pagemaker was just a web page program

That's GoLive!

dc
pagemaker is not a webpage program.

notfred
12-19-2002, 01:10 AM
indesign.

I beleive Quark Xpress still has the larger market share though.

edit: Wow. I leave for 3 minutes after hitting "reply" and before typing my post, and get beat by like 10 people...

neomits
12-19-2002, 01:10 AM
would InDesign be a good program for my parents and younger siblings who like to make birthday cards and envelopes and the like? or what would be better?

notfred
12-19-2002, 01:12 AM
would InDesign be a good program for my parents and younger siblings who like to make birthday cards and envelopes and the like?

InDesign would be a good program for National Geographic to use to do the layout for thier magazine.

Soulflare
12-19-2002, 01:20 AM
would InDesign be a good program for my parents and younger siblings who like to make birthday cards and envelopes and the like? or what would be better?

MS Publisher will have wizards for making cards, envelopes and so on... and will be much easier
to work with for the average user. InDesign and the like are for professional print work.

dakels
12-19-2002, 11:22 AM
MS Pubslasher (as we in design like to call it) is a more for in office-type page layout and light design. It is not made for professional printing. It's much more powerful then Word but nothing close to an Indesign or Quark.

For page layout (the desiging of a page and positioning of art and text) Quark (made by Quark) has been the industry standard for quite some time now and still is. Yet the product is not superior. Its just that it is proprietary and has been established in the prepress environment. I cannot send you another program's file if your company was set to use Quark.
InDesign (made by Adobe) is a newer page layout program made to compete with Quark. Indesign is argueably much better then Quark but as mentioned before, Quark has its foothold on the market. Switching over for many companies is a MAJOR hassle that also requires people to learn that program when they probably went to school for Quark.

This also brings another matter. These professional page layout programs are not very newbie friendly. You can't just hop on a computer and use it. They require a fair amount of learning just to get started and a massive amount of education, on a college level, to master in a prepress environment.

Adobe software for the most part (Photoshop Elements is a non-pro photo editing program), Quark, and Macromedia's software are focused on the professional publishing sector. Publisher is focused on the home office to office user who is not a page layout designer, but wants to maybe make some light presentatios or office documents and print them off their personal/office printer.

If this is more for home use for word processing paper, flyers, Xmas cards and such, then I recommend trying to use the MS word templates, or getting a light program like Print Master (http://shop3.outpost.com/product/3279501) (Brodurbund software).

If you want to get a little more serious about it you can use MS Publisher but I wouldn't recommend using Quark or Indesign unless you are willing to put in some MAJOR time learning it and taking classes.
(roughly)
Quark - $600-$800
Indesign - $500
Pagemaker - $500

Publisher - $120
MS Office with Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Publisher - $350-450
Print Master (stricty simple ameteur) - $40

and btw GoLive and PageMill are web focused applications. both by Adobe

Soybomb
12-19-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by: Soulflare
Pagemaker is awful, and is actually worse than Publisher in many ways.
InDesign is Adobe's equivalent to Quark Express, and is much better than both Publisher and Pagemaker.
You're certifiably insane man. ;) I couldn't have imaged someone telling me to do newspaper layouts for 3 years on publisher. Quark, Pagemager, and InDesign will all wipe the floor with it so very easily. Publisher is a very basic design program meant for very small jobs (church bake sale flyer, boy scout announcements, etc) and doesn't offer near enough flexibility to do any real work with it. Of course its much easier to use the first time you sit down at it....