PDA

View Full Version : What happens when you hit a deer going 95 mph?

Riprorin
07-04-2002, 01:31 AM
I suspect that the results aren't good even in a Chevy Impala.

I was driving on I-15 from Zion to Salt Lake City in the right lane and passed a deer who was in the left lane. It was dark and I didn't see the damn thing until I was passing him. Couldn't have missed him by more than a few feet.

Supermercado
07-04-2002, 01:33 AM
Probably a very big mess. I'm sure it would kill the deer and I don't know for sure, but I would guess that it would likely dent your car or possibly even break the windshield if you hit it right.

Rallispec
07-04-2002, 01:36 AM
first, you hit the dear.. it dies on impact

at that speed, the mass of the deer isnt enough to stop the car, instead the car gets knocked of control and swerves off the road.

also, upon impact, the force of the dear hitting pushes the nose of the car down, hurling the dead dear onto the hood and through the front windsheild.

with a deer hoove smashed through your skull and an antler through your chest, the impalla flies off the side of the road leaving a trail of bload spewing out the windows onto the asphalt.

your car crashes into a near tree, thrusting your body forward at increadible speeds, the seatbelt rips your apart and the top half of yoru torso flies out the windshield.

so there you lay, your bloody corpse out on the grass, head smashed open from hitting the tree with a deer hoove still thrust through your cranium, while an your lower torswer is still wearing antlers in a now bload soaked front seat of a battered chevey impalla.

pics?

amnesiac
07-04-2002, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by: SuperCommando
Probably a very big mess. I'm sure it would kill the deer and I don't know for sure, but I would guess that it would likely dent your car or possibly even break the windshield if you hit it right.

Try hitting a (semi-pliable) wall at 95MPH. Your car would definitely be in the shop for a while, your airbags would go off, and you could possibly get frame damage. "Dent your car" as you put it would happen if you hit it at 20mph.

I saw what happened to a deer when it got hit at 95mph on a Colorado highway. Deer parts littered the road for a QUARTER MILE. Blech.

Lucky
07-04-2002, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by: SuperCommando

at 95 it would do far more than that if you hit it dead on. A good probability of serious injury or death. I've been in a car that hit a deer-my GF at the time was driving. Going 60 she just barely clipped its neck with the left outside window and it tore that thing off completely. If we'd hit it 2 seconds later it would have gone through the winshield.

luvya
07-04-2002, 01:47 AM
The deer dies. ;)

erikiksaz
07-04-2002, 01:48 AM
Something along the lines of....CLUNK!! Come to think of it, would it be more like a SPLAT?!

Nemesis77
07-04-2002, 01:49 AM
You would propably die. The deer would come crashing through the windshield. That's what happend when you hit a moose. But then again, deers aren't as big as mooses are. But I would guess that you would die or be severly injured.

Jerboy
07-04-2002, 01:50 AM
The deer will be dead for sure. Very very good chance your car will be totalled no matter how new it is. You'll get hurt big time if the deer penetrates your windshield or you have a secondary collision.

If you have a sub $5K car, it will most definitely get written off as totalled. Hood+headlights+radiator+frontal body work+fenders easily cost $5,000 to repair.

I heard something about a guy hitting a deer and finding out later that it had gone through the windshield and landed in backseat of their van.

brxndxn
07-04-2002, 01:52 AM
A while ago in this forum.. I think it was ViperGTS (is he banned? everyone I know from then has been banned by now) who smashed his small car into a dear... The whole entire car was totaled. He was luckily okay.

I can't remember who the AT member was, though..

phatcow
07-04-2002, 01:55 AM
a doe

Danman
Originally posted by: brxndxn
A while ago in this forum.. I think it was ViperGTS (is he banned? everyone I know from then has been banned by now) who smashed his small car into a dear... The whole entire car was totaled. He was luckily okay.

He is banned? :Q
Yea, I remember his story, his car was completely totaled. It sucked for him.

The Dancing Peacock
imagine hitting a several hundred pound semi-firm wall the size of a deer. The deer dies, and so does the car, sometimes. You count yourself lucky if you walk away

Rallispec
07-04-2002, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by: cashman

Originally posted by: brxndxn

He is banned? :Q
Yea, I remember his story, his car was completely totaled. It sucked for him.'

no he wasnt banned... he posted earlier today

Rallispec
07-04-2002, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by: phatcow
a doe

a deer

amnesiac
07-04-2002, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by: Rallispec

a doe

a deer

a female deer.

jjsole
07-04-2002, 02:00 AM
first, you hit the dear.. it dies on impact at that speed, the mass of the deer isnt enough to stop the car, instead the car gets knocked of control and swerves off the road. also, upon impact, the force of the dear hitting pushes the nose of the car down, hurling the dead dear onto the hood and through the front windsheild. with a deer hoove smashed through your skull and an antler through your chest, the impalla flies off the side of the road leaving a trail of bload spewing out the windows onto the asphalt. your car crashes into a near tree, thrusting your body forward at increadible speeds, the seatbelt rips your apart and the top half of yoru torso flies out the windshield. so there you lay, your bloody corpse out on the grass, head smashed open from hitting the tree with a deer hoove still thrust through your cranium, while your lower torswer is still wearing antlers in a now bload soaked front seat of a battered chevey impalla. pics?
:Q:D lol

Thegonagle
07-04-2002, 02:01 AM
It would very likely total your car, and it could even kill you if any part of it came through the windshied and hit you.

This is one good reason it is a very bad idea to be going 95 MPH in the dark. Consider yourself lucky.

MaxDSP
07-04-2002, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by: Nemesis77
You would propably die. The deer would come crashing through the windshield. That's what happend when you hit a moose. But then again, deers aren't as big as mooses are

mooses? I thought the plural was meese

Rallispec
07-04-2002, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by: amnesiac 2.0

a doe

a deer

a female deer.

ray

jteef
07-04-2002, 02:02 AM
dont know about 95...i can only imagine a bit more damage than what happened to us.

Driving a 96 full size bronco about 75mph on the way to go deer hunting one season. deer jumps out in front of the car. hit it in the rear torso area on the right side. we didn't stop for whatever reason. the right headlight was out. we slowed to about 65mph and kept on movin. another deer jumped out, hit this one square in the middle of his body right in the middle of the front of the car. now both headlights were out so we drove about 15mph on the shoulder with a couple of mag lites for the remaining 60 miles of the trip, hoping that the radiator wasn't broke(it wasn't). both times the sound it made was a rather loud clunk, but not nearly as loud as even the 5mph fender bender i was involved in another car with a different time. Total damage to the bronco was $3800. This was a bigger, taller, heavier car than an impala i am guessing too. my guess is a square hit at 95mph in an impala would be close to a total loss. I doubt the passengers would get hurt much unless you tried some crazy maneuver and skidded out of control and started rolling into the woods or something like that. or if the deer jumps up and hits the windshield really bad things can happen.

jt

Renob
07-04-2002, 02:04 AM
I hit a deer outside Provo spelling? Utah doing 80mph in my Trans Am, I cut the dear in halp caused about $1000 in damage to my car. Some of the deer guts got sucked into my air intakes on the front of the car, what a mess. I had flies hanging around my car for about a month.

I felt like I hit a speed bump going to fast.

Scouzer
07-04-2002, 02:05 AM

a doe

a deer

a female deer.

What some of you guys come up with telepathy is amazing...

Goosemaster
07-04-2002, 02:06 AM
I hit a dead dear at 75mph...

I was driving with my dad..or actually he was driving since it was late and I was about 17 or so.

Suddenly the road turns BLOOD red for about 1/2 a mile. We both confirmed that it is indeed real, and that we are not falling asleep.

As we are going over a small hillish section of Interstate 495 and we reach the crest, we see something in the distance that is obviously not a car.

Obviously we miscalulated the size and it was immediately infront of us and...

[Emeril Lagasse Voice] "Bam!" [/Emeril Lagasse Voice]

I swore that car went 2 feet off the ground! And at 75mph mind you.

All I know is I had a lot of blood to clean off in the morning...me and my dad were both scared to look under the car when we got home...in the morning it appeared that it was a clean cut and oly blood was on the car...

My guess is that a dear got hit by a RIG and got dragged for that lengh....

Keep in mind we were in a beefy 1990 Toyota Terceli/expressions/rolleye.gif

heh..at least the BIG RIG tenderized the meat before WE got there.:D.:D.otherwise I wouldn;t be here right now..

ThePresence
07-04-2002, 02:08 AM
Pics!! (http://www.skitzo.dk/tbk/deer_roadkill.jpg)

Goosemaster
07-04-2002, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Pics!! (http://www.skitzo.dk/tbk/deer_roadkill.jpg)

:Q

Jerboy
07-04-2002, 02:13 AM
What if you hit a deer with one of this (http://www.kenworth.com/2100_vir_w900.asp)? How about if you hit a Suburban with it, how about Geo Metro? ;)

ScottyB
07-04-2002, 02:14 AM
My parents usually hit two or three a year, I have had a couple of close calls myself. We have 200 - 300 deer heards around our house at certain times of the year so its not that uncommon. Anyway they usually fly to the side and die on impact $1000 - $3500 in damage. My dad did hit one in a station wagon going 55 or 60 and all it did was break a head light. I guess the front just popped back out. It was just a fawn though, but it was really funny cause it ladned about 50 feet away from the road.

amnesiac
07-04-2002, 02:15 AM

a doe

a deer

a female deer.

ray

a drop of golden sun

boi
07-04-2002, 02:17 AM
You might have killed bambi:frown:

Nefrodite
07-04-2002, 02:33 AM
how the heck did they get that pic?

anyways, i hit a dog on the freeway. it fell off a truck a couple cars in front so i probably slowed to 45 or so, but my car still jumped a foot when i hit what was left of it.

had bits of flesh on the mud guards. twisted sh*t.

Marshy
07-04-2002, 03:43 AM
no eye dear!!

spanky
07-04-2002, 03:47 AM
S-P-L-A-T

yakko
07-04-2002, 03:57 AM
first, you hit the dear.. it dies on impact

at that speed, the mass of the deer isnt enough to stop the car, instead the car gets knocked of control and swerves off the road.

also, upon impact, the force of the dear hitting pushes the nose of the car down, hurling the dead dear onto the hood and through the front windsheild.

with a deer hoove smashed through your skull and an antler through your chest, the impalla flies off the side of the road leaving a trail of bload spewing out the windows onto the asphalt.

your car crashes into a near tree, thrusting your body forward at increadible speeds, the seatbelt rips your apart and the top half of yoru torso flies out the windshield.

so there you lay, your bloody corpse out on the grass, head smashed open from hitting the tree with a deer hoove still thrust through your cranium, while an your lower torswer is still wearing antlers in a now bload soaked front seat of a battered chevey impalla.

pics?
You forgot the burst into flames part.

Scipionix
07-04-2002, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by: yakko You forgot the burst into flames part.
You mean the deer bursts into flames. Or does it explode?

Kadarin
07-04-2002, 05:22 AM

a doe

a deer

a female deer.

ray

a drop of golden sun

me

m2kewl
07-04-2002, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by: Goosemaster

Originally posted by: ThePresence Pics!! (http://www.skitzo.dk/tbk/deer_roadkill.jpg) :Q

:Q:Q

HomeBrewerDude
07-04-2002, 06:26 AM
What happens when you hit a deer going 95 mph?

I didn't think deer could run that fast.

snow patrol
07-04-2002, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by: yamahaXS

What happens when you hit a deer going 95 mph?

I didn't think deer could run that fast.

LOL, I was just going to point out that the thread title might be misconstrued, but looks like you beat me to it ;)

eakers
07-04-2002, 07:06 AM
actually...i hit a deer early monday morning in my stanza and nothing has happened to my stanza (that i know of) so far. i was doing like 120 km/hour and it was dark and i didnt see it until the last second.... it just went straight under the car.

it was a small deer btw.

i cried so much, i feel so terrible.

*kat. <-- :(

Dhawk
07-04-2002, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by: Astaroth33

a doe

a deer

a female deer.

ray

a drop of golden sun

me

a name

Jerboy
07-04-2002, 07:39 AM
Pics (http://www.car-accidents.com/pages/accident_story/1-13-02.html)

1996 BMW M3 @65mph vs. New York deer. $10K in damage. Poor car.

iamwiz82
07-04-2002, 07:47 AM
Last sat. night i was driving home in the right lane, doing 65 in a 70. A jackass in a new Yukon passed me doing about 80 or so and then cuts in front of me. I shrug it off and next thing i see is brake lights about 1/8 mile ahead. I drive past and see blood EVERYWHERE. He hit a raccoon. He had pulled off the road and i checked my rear view mirror He only had th eleft sides lights left. I'm pretty sure he destroyed the front of his SUV. I smiled, vengenous is sweet :)

Now, if you had
this (http://www.arb.com.au/content/bull_bar_blowups/Chrysler1.jpg) i'm sure you would do fine :D

Cyberian
07-04-2002, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by: Marshy
no eye dear!!Still no eye dear!

McPhreak
07-04-2002, 07:56 AM
I've actually hit a deer going about 60-70 mph (actually, I didn't hit the deer, my folks did, but I was in the car at the time). It was kind of ironic because we hit it with a rental car that we had just checked out about a half hour before. I don't know how much of a difference it makes going 70mph vs. 95 mph, but what happens at 70mph, is that the deer jumps in front of your car, hits the top part of the front grill/bottom part of the hood and then gets bounced to the windshield and slides right off the top. We noticed that the deer was still alive (it was thrashing around), although not for long. Anyway, when we went to...uh...return the rental car and get a new one, I had a good look at the damage. Basically the only damage to the car was that front grill/hood where the initial impact took place. It's probably the equivalent of traveling 10mph and hitting a wall. There were bits of fur and a little bit of blood stuck to various parts where the deer hit. But other than that, there was no damage. I think because most cars are designed to be aerodynamic, the deer just tends to slide off the car after the initial hit.

Jerboy
07-04-2002, 08:08 AM
Now, if you had
this (http://www.arb.com.au/content/bull_bar_blowups/Chrysler1.jpg) i'm sure you would do fine :D

If you did head on with that with this (http://www.kenworth.com/2100_vir_w900.asp), then what?

McPhreak
07-04-2002, 08:15 AM
BTW, for anyone considering buying those deer "noise makers" that attach onto the sides of your car (I guess they make ultra high or ultra low frequency noise which is supposed to deter deer from coming near your car when driving), they don't work. Either that, or the installation guys put them on backward because deer still seem very much attracted to our vehicle.

Fritzo
07-04-2002, 08:47 AM
Deer accidents cause major damage. My grandfather TOTALED his '78 GMC pickup in a 45 MPH collision with an adult deer. Being a consumate redneck, he asked the highway patrol if he could keep the deer and they agreed. It was a 8 point buck, so he had the head mounted on his wall ;)

Anyway, an adult dear weighs a good 300-500 lbs, so it'll to some major damage.

GtPrOjEcTX
07-04-2002, 09:08 AM
a better question....why the heck were you going 95 mph!!??

but, yes, so have I, but not for months.

CraigRT
07-04-2002, 09:12 AM
Anyway, an adult dear weighs a good 300-500 lbs, so it'll to some major damage

far more than that. faaaaaar more. they can do so much damage it's insane......

Scootin159
07-04-2002, 09:13 AM
We hit a deer in a charter bus going 80mph once. Biggest piece of the deer we could find was about the size of a mcdonalds hamburger. Didn't do anything to the bus (Not even a dent).

Isla
07-04-2002, 09:34 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
a doe
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a deer

a female deer.

ray

a drop of golden sun

me

a name

....I call myself

(ROTFLMAO at Ralli's first graphic description post!)

Rallispec
07-04-2002, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by: Isla

Originally posted by: Dhawk

a doe

a deer

a female deer.

ray

a drop of golden sun

me

a name

...I call myself

Fa

Rallispec
07-04-2002, 09:42 AM
(ROTFLMAO at Ralli's first graphic description post!)

thanks isla :).. noone else had said anything and i thought i was going unnoticed. :(

iamwiz82
07-04-2002, 10:11 AM

a doe

a deer

a female deer.

ray

a drop of golden sun

me

a name

...I call myself

Fa

A long long way to go!

Rallispec
07-04-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by: iamwiz82

a doe

a deer

a female deer.

ray

a drop of golden sun

me

a name

...I call myself

Fa

A long long way to go!

So

ViRGE
07-04-2002, 10:22 AM

a doe

a deer

a female deer.

re

a drop of golden sun

mi

a name

...I call myself

Far

a long, long way to run

Sew

a needle pulling thread(don't ask me why:Q)

Rallispec
07-04-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by: ViRGE

a doe

a deer

a female deer.

re

a drop of golden sun

mi

a name

...I call myself

Far

a long, long way to run

Sew

a needle pulling thread

La

Scootin159
07-04-2002, 10:38 AM
what kind of deer can go 95mph?

cricky
07-04-2002, 10:50 AM
Though I have yet to witness a high speed deer-car collision, I saw the remains of a deer-big rig collision once when I was in college in Iowa. I was driving back to school from going home for the holidays, and I remember vividly seeing a clean-cut 1/2 a deer lying on the shoulder of the highway. I thought it was a prop or something, it looked like such a perfect cut. Just the rear legs and 1/2 a torso. Then a 1/4 mile long red swath across the highway slowly moving from right to left. And the other half of the deer lying in not as pristine shape as the first half along the center median...

--Christopher

bunker
07-04-2002, 10:54 AM
You guys have the song all wrong:

Dos
A Beer, a Mexican Beer
Ray
The guy that serves me beer
Me
Why sure, I'll have a beer
Fa
A long way to the bar
Soooo
I think I'll have a beer
La
La la la la la la
Tea
No thanks, I'll have a beer
Dos
Which brings us back to beer.

DDCSpeed
07-04-2002, 11:04 AM
I believe there is a movie that had that happend. Forgot the name but it starred val kilmer and mirra sorvino.

Kinger
07-05-2002, 12:51 PM
A few years ago I was traveling down rt. 9 in Vermont and on the other side of the road a car had hit a deer. I'm not sure how fast the car was driving since I saw it after the car had come to a stop but it took the deers head clear off it's shoulders!! It was proably the most disturbing sight I've ever seen. The cars hood was pushed up pretty far and the windshield was smashed. People were walking around so it looked like there were no human injuries.

Since it was in Vermont they got a 2 for 1 special. Hunting AND Roadkill!!!

Rallispec
07-05-2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by: bunker

Dos
A Beer, a Mexican Beer
Ray
Me
Fa
A long way to the bar
Soooo
I think I'll have a beer
La
La la la la la la
Tea
Dos

ahah.. i hadnt heard that before.

Gujski
07-05-2002, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by: bunker

Dos
A Beer, a Mexican Beer
Ray
Me
Fa
A long way to the bar
Soooo
I think I'll have a beer
La
La la la la la la
Tea
Dos

ahah.. i hadnt heard that before.

was that from the Simpsons?

Goosemaster
07-05-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by: McPhreak
BTW, for anyone considering buying those deer "noise makers" that attach onto the sides of your car (I guess they make ultra high or ultra low frequency noise which is supposed to deter deer from coming near your car when driving), they don't work. Either that, or the installation guys put them on backward because deer still seem very much attracted to our vehicle.

lol

Hayabusa Rider
07-05-2002, 09:42 PM
Something ironic about an Impala killing a deer

Also I want to see a 500 lb deer. That is more like an elk fer cryin out loud.

LeStEr
07-05-2002, 09:47 PM
Deer goes through windshield and kills you.

vi edit
07-05-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider

500 pound deer would be world record size. 500 pounds would be a small elk.

You want something bad...hit a Buffalo at 75 MPH....errrrr :o

Hayabusa Rider
07-05-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by: vi_edit

Originally posted by: Hayabusarider Something ironic about an Impala killing a deer Also I want to see a 500 lb deer. That is more like an elk fer cryin out loud. 500 pound deer would be world record size. 500 pounds would be a small elk. You want something bad...hit a Buffalo at 75 MPH....errrrr :o

No buffalo here Vi, but a couple hours north we have mooses. Here is something to take a gander at. All about moosies and cars. (http://www.vti.se/pdf/reports/S342A.pdf)

fatbaby
07-05-2002, 10:13 PM

a doe

a deer

a female deer.

re

a drop of golden sun

mi

a name

...I call myself

Far

a long, long way to run

Sew

a needle pulling thread

La

something something something

tea, it goes with jam and bread!

AaronP
07-05-2002, 11:05 PM
yeah, about 180 lbs is the average for an adult BUCK either whitetail or muledeer. If I ever see a 300 to 500lb deer in the woods, I'd pass out before I could get a shot off.

Ultima
07-05-2002, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by: Garfang
It would very likely total your car, and it could even kill you if any part of it came through the windshied and hit you.

This is one good reason it is a very bad idea to be going 95 MPH in the dark. Consider yourself lucky.

At least without using your brights. I take it that the thread poster couldn't see it cause that section of the highway was unlit.
Well, once my friend almost hit a chair and a mattress that was lying in the middle of the freeway. If we had hit that I'm sure we would have crashed pretty badly.

Rallispec
07-05-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by: fatbaby

a doe

a deer

a female deer.

re

a drop of golden sun

mi

a name

...I call myself

Far

a long, long way to run

Sew

a needle pulling thread

La

a note to follow sew

Tea

Nefrodite
07-06-2002, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by: vi_edit

Originally posted by: Hayabusarider

500 pound deer would be world record size. 500 pounds would be a small elk.

You want something bad...hit a Buffalo at 75 MPH....errrrr :o

hehe yea some people need to get out more:P u can see deer at many state/national parks. many are pretty dinky really:P

bizmark
07-06-2002, 02:50 AM

a doe

a deer

a female deer.

re

a drop of golden sun

mi

a name

...I call myself

Far

a long, long way to run

Sew

a needle pulling thread

La

a note to follow sew

Tea

A drink with jam and breaaaaad!!!!

That will bring us back to.....

Rallispec
07-06-2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by: bizmark

a doe

a deer

a female deer.

re

a drop of golden sun

mi

a name

...I call myself

Far

a long, long way to run

Sew

a needle pulling thread

La

a note to follow sew

Tea

A drink with jam and breaaaaad!!!!

That will bring us back to.....

D'OH! :D

sharkeeper
07-06-2002, 10:46 AM
how the heck did they get that pic?

The wonders of Photoshop (http://members.aol.com/sharkeeper/images). :)

Cheers!

LAUST
07-09-2002, 09:15 AM
I was just going down parker about 30 minutes ago and someone just hit one at about 60, the deer was still alive and laying on the ground. The car was trashed and the windshield was 100% white and bumper cover was shattered all over.

ragazzo
07-09-2002, 09:17 AM
"What happens when you hit a deer going 95 mph?"

hmm...didn't know deers can run that fast :D