PDA

View Full Version : Free tire service at Costco

kewl
03-06-2002, 11:16 PM
I got gas at Costco today and saw a sign on the pump that said they fix flats and rotate tires for free even if the tires were not bought there. I didn't know that.

localfinesse
03-06-2002, 11:25 PM
Just so you know at american tire company they do that every day, and for anybody.

Boogak
03-06-2002, 11:43 PM
Schweet! I need to get rid of a nail that's in my rear tire before I head down to Austin for my freebie VS.NET conference. Do you have to make an appointment first or can you just drive up, flash your Costco membership card, and get it fixed right then and there?

LoneWolf1
03-06-2002, 11:49 PM
Make sure they use a patch instead of just plugging the tire.

Souka
03-07-2002, 12:03 AM
kewl

Dasterdly
03-07-2002, 12:11 AM
When they put the plug in they use a reamer and make the hole bigger so the plug fits in and that separates the steel belts.
Always always get your flats patched.

ken2001
03-07-2002, 07:11 AM
Nice, I am considering of my membership renewal. Is there the same service at B&J?

DongTran
03-07-2002, 09:39 AM
discount tire has been doing this for a long ass time. you don't need appointment or anything. I know that costco used to not provide this server, but I guess it's kind of good they do now. I wonder if membershipless folks are eligible???

all168
03-07-2002, 11:13 AM
discount tire has been doing this for a long ass time. you don't need appointment or anything

Not in LA, I called them last time and they charge me $15 for flat repair, patch, tire mounting and balance. So finally I took it to costco and have it repair for free even I didn't got the tire from them. Costco has the best customer services I ever experience but their waiting time is too long in the weekend.

Kwad Guy
03-07-2002, 11:20 AM
Cool...I wonder if they offer this service at Costcos that
don't have a service station (but do have tire installation). The
one I usually go to (in Waltham, MA) is like that: no service station.
And I have at least one bad tire with a slow leak I've been
putting off getting fixed...

Kwad

mike2fix
03-07-2002, 11:44 AM
As a side note, once a puncture is repaired, whether patched or plugged, it loses it's speed rating.

evergreen96
03-07-2002, 12:39 PM
last time i went there you had to be member to get this service.,

Does that rule still applies?

mralex
03-07-2002, 12:58 PM
How come not so long ago one of my friends told me that he did a tire rotate for $16 at Costco?

DongTran
03-07-2002, 01:04 PM
<< Not in LA, I called them last time and they charge me $15 for flat repair, patch, tire mounting and balance. So finally I took it to costco and have it repair for free even I didn't got the tire from them. Costco has the best customer services I ever experience but their waiting time is too long in the weekend. >>

wow that's uber lame. I'm sorry to hear you've had such a bad time with that. :( :( :(

labooboo
03-07-2002, 01:32 PM
nice tip I am going to try this weeken

yourharddrive
03-07-2002, 01:33 PM
Discount Tire does the same, they fixed up my tire bout 2 months ago

labooboo
03-07-2002, 01:39 PM
I called costco at my area they said balance is $4 for each tire and rotation is free and balancing is required so they will charge you $16 for the total.

Boogak
03-07-2002, 01:45 PM
Crapnuts! Headed to Costco during lunch to get that nail removed and they said they couldn't fix my Z-rated tires since they were too soft and would disintegrate if they tried. Hmm... any other ideas on how to remove a nail from a Z-rated tire?

IgorTs
03-07-2002, 03:48 PM
it's always free, even in LA. where i did it once.
They always do patch, not gas station stile. You have to be a member.
last time, 5 days ago i fixed 2 tires there, 1 screw, 1 nail. ( my wife drives that car):)

badluck
03-07-2002, 03:55 PM
I just got my tires rotated and balanced. Had to pay $4 for each tire to be balanced. There was no charge to rotate the tires. Thanks a lot. Walmart wants $28 to do it.

slycat
03-07-2002, 03:59 PM
<< it's always free, even in LA. where i did it once.
They always do patch, not gas station stile. You have to be a member.
last time, 5 days ago i fixed 2 tires there, 1 screw, 1 nail. ( my wife drives that car):) >>

well...sometimes u just get screwed and nailed like that ;)

OrlandoTiger
03-07-2002, 07:41 PM
Boogak- just do it yourself,I havent had z rated tires but ive repaired many flats myself and not had a problem with belt seperation or the patch.You can get the tools in a kit at walmarts or auto stores and they make the plugs (which look like a rubberized thin cord) for steel radials.Ymmv with those tires so you must decide,but they are likely being over cautious.Maybe someone in the know can comment on your tires.If you do the repair,then put the tire up front,ie passenger side... and should you have problems like a blowout in the future you can control the car in a front tire blowout much easier than a rear... I keep a kit in the trunk of each of my cars along with an air compressor.