PDA

View Full Version : OS X 10.4, DHCP broken

randomlinh
08-13-2007, 11:27 PM
Ok, here's an interesting one. Parallels crashed hard... I could not force quit, and then finder locked up. My only option was to force it off via the power button.

So it boots back up and DHCP doesn't work. I have to manually enter my IP. I uninstalled parallels to see if maybe the adapters it installs caused some conflict... no dice. I also disabled IPv6 just in case. Wireless gets the same problems.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've finally hit an oddball mac problem 8ish months in.. heh.

randomlinh
08-16-2007, 11:37 PM
anyone have any pointers for where to did for network drivers/settings/anything, heh. my minor OCD bothers me that I have to set it statically to work, heh. And no, it's not bad enough for me to reformat... altho.. I do want to know wtf broke it exactly.

bearxor
08-17-2007, 09:22 AM
It doesn't seem like Parallels could have done that. Is DHCP broken altogether? Wired or Wireless?

randomlinh
08-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by: bearxor
It doesn't seem like Parallels could have done that. Is DHCP broken altogether? Wired or Wireless?

I'm not sure if it was Parallels exactly.. I had been having trouble w/ the Parallels network adapter losing connectivity randomly. But it crashed, and basically created a domino effect through everything on my system.

I forced it off, and lost all DHCP ability from both wired and wireless. I'm thinking a system file somewhere is corrupted, but I have no idea what/where.

Kaido
08-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Are you using Parallels 2.0 or 3.0? I have 2.0 and I used to have a lot of those weird disconnect issues before I updated to the latest version of 2.0. Try that!

randomlinh
08-18-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm using 3.0. Or was anyway. I didn't have any problems w/ 2.x. I think I might switch to fusion though. As of now though, I removed as much as I could find that referenced anything regarding parallels. The only thing I won't try yet is a reinstall, as I'd really like to find out what broke where. Although, at this rate, it's looking like I won't fix it until leopard comes out and I reformat.