PDA

View Full Version : What chew toy to get a german shepard?

jsbush
01-12-2002, 11:54 AM
We get him black Kongs, for those of you who know what they are. Anyways he chews throw them in about two weeks, it's getting kind of expensive at 20$ a kong. Plus he breaks the Kong to peices small enough he can swallow, he's been sick a couple times because of that.

Any ideas what to get him?

Rallispec
01-12-2002, 11:58 AM
my german sheppard
Indy (http://www.sentraxe.com/pic/dog.JPG)
really likes these stuffed animal hedgehogs that they sell at the pet store.. that and her nylon rope bone thing are her 2 favorite toys ever, she wont play with anything but those and tennis balls

stevens
01-12-2002, 12:00 PM
I have 2 labs and they like to chew on a kong ball, but they are also able to eat them so i dont know.

Jejunum
01-12-2002, 12:14 PM
WTF! he breaks the kongs how! i took a knife too that sucker w/o managing to rip it (they are damn expensive and advertised to be unbreakable! so id hope so)

anyways they should replace those bad boys for free according to the package........
maybe defective ones?

Blain
01-12-2002, 12:15 PM
My German Shepherd always liked the legs of our kitchen table :D

jsbush
01-12-2002, 12:18 PM
<<anyways they should replace those bad boys for free according to the package........
maybe defective ones?

He's had kongs all his life an they have done the same thing, (he's 7 now).

I'll look at the package next time I buy one (threw the old one out).

Geekbabe
01-12-2002, 12:19 PM
chew toy ? I have a rooom mate that I'd be happy to donate, pm me with your shipping info :D

oldsmoboat
01-12-2002, 12:25 PM
Get him a cat (not kat), they love to chew on them. ;)

<<<Dosen't like cats

yellowvespa
01-12-2002, 12:33 PM
Go down to you local woodworking shop. I think they are called millwrights, and have them make up an wooden (oak) ball.

Bulk Beef
01-12-2002, 12:36 PM
Damn! Your dog chews through Kongs? Those things are pretty tough, my pit/lab mix has been working hers for about six years, and it's holding up pretty well.

Maybe you should try rocks.

t3chvest
01-12-2002, 05:16 PM
oldsmoboat you took my joke! But yeah, get him a cat....

<<< likes cats and has 2 :)

I miss my old German Shepard, those are great dogs...

NewCompGeek
01-12-2002, 05:22 PM
a bone... human bone j/k

kef7
01-12-2002, 05:29 PM
one of our two beagles chews through the red kongs (I think they are a bit softer); thought about getting black kongs but I don't think they make them for smaller breeds.

longest lasting toy currently (going on 3 weeks) is this ugly blue/yellow thing that you can cram treats in and then the dog is supposed to rock back and forth in order for the treats to fall out. being the evil master that I am I put the treats that just barely fit the hole, no way they fall out until the treat gets soaked with dog saliva.

bootymac
01-12-2002, 05:33 PM
another dog? :P

jsbush
01-12-2002, 07:58 PM
He goes through bones in just a couple hours :P

He's scared of the cat, so he can't use her a s a chew toy :(

cavemanmoron
01-12-2002, 08:04 PM
how bout a shin bone,ask the local meat market to save you one..

chansen
01-12-2002, 08:26 PM
The nylon bones with little spikes are supposed to be good for their teeth. Just make sure it's made out of nylon, there are others made of corn syrup that is easily broken into dangerous pieces by "heavy" chewers.

I've also seem some larger Kongs, which must be more difficult to destroy. My german shepherd is pretty strong and has gone through hos share of toys, but the Kong lives on. That's some pretty powerful chewing.

aimn
01-12-2002, 08:51 PM
I didnt think any dog could chew through a Kong! I would try some type of hardened steel. Maybe an axle or something. Jesus.

Tallgeese
01-12-2002, 08:54 PM
Osama bin Laden

jsbush
01-12-2002, 08:59 PM
<<I didnt think any dog could chew through a Kong! >>

Want some pics of the chewed up kong? Well what I have left of it anyways.

BooneRebel
01-12-2002, 09:11 PM
Our dogs go through them pretty fast, too. After a while I got kind of worried about them eating the rubber so we started using other things.

Cordwood isn't too bad. Found this out by accident one day - After several sticks had been eaten during a game of "fetch", I picked up a split oak log and hurled it across the yard. Not only did it last through the rest of the afternoon, it ended up being carried into the house and munched on that evening (By the dog, not me!)

The shinbones are fun - WalMart and PetsMart seem to carry them pretty regularly, I hadn't considered getting them from a butcher but I'm sure they'd be cheaper and quite a bit fresher. It's always fun to go to the register and have people in line ask "So, what kind of dog do you have, anyway?!?".

The ropes last but they don't seem to be the favorites in the house. Right now our cats have been getting more attention...

jjones
01-12-2002, 09:42 PM
<< Get him a cat >>

:)

Harvey
01-12-2002, 09:46 PM
<< What chew toy to get a german shepard? >>

How about letting him gnaw on Osama Bin Laden? ;)

UberNeuman
01-12-2002, 10:53 PM
Try this one - sic balls Chopper! (http://www.mcintyre-king.com/images/postman.jpg)

stev0
01-12-2002, 11:00 PM
get him one of those big long bones (the ones that are like 2 feet long, made out of some sort of white junk.. not the plastic stuff, but the other stuff... rawhide bones... something like that)