PDA

View Full Version : Do video games damage big screen TV's?

Fireman
09-21-2001, 02:30 AM
I remember hearing a long time ago that they did. I have a new rear projection Toshiba 50" and don't want to damage it. Using a Sony Playstation.
Anyone?

pulse8
09-21-2001, 02:31 AM
I doubt it. I can't think of a reason why it would.

TheOmegaCode
09-21-2001, 02:37 AM
only if the game you are playing pisses you, or someone else off, and you throw something at it.

Yzzim
09-21-2001, 02:37 AM
<< I remember hearing a long time ago that they did. I have a new rear projection Toshiba 50" and don't want to damage it. Using a Sony Playstation.
Anyone? >>

I remember hearing the same thing back when the Nintendo first came out. Haven't heard any evidence behind it though...

Fireman
09-21-2001, 02:51 AM
<< only if the game you are playing pisses you, or someone else off, and you throw something at it. >>

ROTFL

spanky
09-21-2001, 02:56 AM
i think parents made up that rumor so kids wouldn't hog up the big screen tv all day with their 8-bit NES :P

Kenazo
09-21-2001, 02:57 AM
GO ATARI! that'll probably ruin any TV newer than 1985.

AgentofEvil
09-21-2001, 02:57 AM
Don't do it!!!
If there is a static image (health bar etc) on the screen it will burn onto the tube. Remember older monitors (10+ years), it's the same deal. I guess it depends how much you value your TV and how long you do it for though.

Fireman
09-21-2001, 03:00 AM
This is not a tube it is a rear projection TV.

doublec16
09-21-2001, 03:05 AM
Projection TVs and video games do not mix, unless projection TV technology has changed significantly. I wouldn't risk it if I were you.

AgentofEvil
09-21-2001, 03:07 AM
Okay then, screen or whatever.
Search for this topic, their was a thread not long ago and some people had had some bad experiences with playstations and rear projection TV's.

DaLeroy
09-21-2001, 03:12 AM
Keep the brightness and contrast turned down....and don't pause the game with the screen on for long periods. Statics bright images WILL damage your screen!
Text (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum24/HTML/008381.html)

Fireman
09-21-2001, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the link. Didn't know about that forum.

shaddow
09-21-2001, 03:27 AM
so it can affect tube but not projection?

sprockkets
09-21-2001, 03:28 AM
picture tubes are in projection tv's, they work the same way as crts. Why then do you hear more about this when it comes to rear projection then? Don't know, maybe they are more prone to it. I see new color displays on ATMs and they have burned in stuff on them. Whatever.

KBrinks
09-21-2001, 09:36 AM
only thing i heard is if you pause the game for like a day the image will burn into the screen... but hwo know's if that's true

blakeatwork
09-21-2001, 09:50 AM
Because the physical screen itself gets hit with the projection from the tubes, it is the screen that gets imprinted, due to the heat form the image. But this is only if an image is static, and projected for a long duration ie 8-12 hours. To fix it, you could just get anew screen put on, but that would cost you a few bucks..

kranky
09-21-2001, 10:00 AM
We rigged up an Atari 2600 to a projection TV years ago and had no negative effects. But we only played for a couple hours at a time.

TripleJ
09-21-2001, 10:44 AM
Can anyone say "screensaver." That's what they're for!

thaRealest
09-21-2001, 10:52 AM
word, i heard of this, in fact, my buddy from the Wiz, told me the same thing.. not to play the ps2 on my 48 incher [the tv].

hungrypete
09-21-2001, 10:58 AM
yeah it can burn into projection tvs and leave a 'shadow'. Like in games where your life is always in one corner of the screen, always there, always the same color etc... it eventually 'burns' into the screen, usually permanently. I'd say newer tvs are better at not doing this.

Boogak
09-21-2001, 11:15 AM
Actually rear projection tv's are more susceptible to this burnin effect. Like others have said, if you take the right precautions, it won't hurt to play a couple of hours of video games on the new tv. Make sure your contrast and brightness aren't cranked all the way up (like it usually is default) and take a break every few hours. Pause the game and tune it to some broadcast tv for a few minutes.

beat mania
09-21-2001, 11:41 AM
<< Can anyone say "screensaver." That's what they're for! >>

Too bad the playstation doesn't come with flying toasters.

Jesta
09-21-2001, 11:54 AM
When I got my PS2 I seem to remember something that said not to hook it up to a projection tv, but anyway, threw that in the trash and proceeded to hook it up to my 52" Zenith, play it probably 10-12 hours a week and have no problems what so ever. SO not real sure why they say it but it was included in the PS2 manual or somewhere in the packaging.

Fireman
09-21-2001, 12:35 PM
I received this from Toshibas customer support center:

" Dear Valued Customer,
Displaying any stationary images generated by a picture-in- picture
(PIP) display, Multi-Window display, computer displays, video games, stock market reports, etc., can become permanently engrained on the picture tube(s). This damage is not covered by the warranty, as it is a result of misuse. If you wish to use your TV to display stationary images, we recommend reducing the brightness and contrast levels.
Thanks,
Customer Solutions Center"

SunnyD
09-21-2001, 12:41 PM
Well there ya go!

Actually, the older rear-projection TV's had this problem because the power output they needed for the gun to create the image on the screen was very high. In fact, a lot of people who had the older projection TV's used to "burn them out" after only a couple years of regular to moderate use. The newer ones use lower power and better screens, so they're marginally safer.

Most tube-type TV's will be fine, even the big ones, as they are much more rugged than their predisesors (sp?). Plasma screens and LCD panels are touchy though.

But like customer service says - turn down the brightness and contrast and you'll get better "life".

SunnyD

UDT89
09-21-2001, 01:58 PM
the only time that it ruins your tv, is if you pause your game for too long. I think having the same constant picture on your big screen ruins the picture tube.........i think thats what i remember. But if its constantly changing, like watching tv, its fine.

SunnyD
09-21-2001, 02:30 PM
Some live sporting events (like tennis, golf and baseball) tend to get burned into the screens too, seeing as how the people that play those "sports" don't actually do much (save tennis).

Wish I got paid millions to chew bubblegum and scratch myself in tights (baseball slam).

SunnyD