PDA

View Full Version : Can't hear DVD dialog--Why?

Sondra
06-15-2007, 10:25 AM
I rented one DVD that let me choose a different kind of sound and then I heard the dialog normally. I rent others and hear dialog fine on everything but the main program, and I can't see how to change the setting. My DVD player is stereo and my TV is mono, but both channels on the DVD player are playing the same thing.

Slick5150
06-15-2007, 01:14 PM
It sounds like you're losing the center channel (where most of the dialogue is on a 5.1 mix) when the DVD player is downsampling it to stereo. If you're given the option, chose a 2.1 mix on the DVD (some DVDs don't have one though), but either way it sounds like something is wrong with how your DVD player is setup. Go into the audio setup menu on your DVD player and see if you can tell it you have mono sound on your TV or something like that.

Sondra
06-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks. Your reply gave me the idea to get out the manual, where I saw how to fix it.

biggestmuff
06-18-2007, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by: Sondra
I rented one DVD that let me choose a different kind of sound and then I heard the dialog normally. I rent others and hear dialog fine on everything but the main program, and I can't see how to change the setting. My DVD player is stereo and my TV is mono, but both channels on the DVD player are playing the same thing.

:Q Wow. My condolences.