PDA

View Full Version : Would it be justifiable homicide to choke my daughter?

Squisher
10-26-2009, 09:15 PM
I get in the Prius yesterday and pull out of the garage and notice an idiot light flashing that looks like a tire cross section. Hmmm. Pull out the manual and it says if it's flashing then the low tire pressure indicator system is malfunctioning (the light is supposed to be on, solid). Double Hmmm. OK, backup to the garage. Get out my nice digital pressure gauge and start at the driver's front. 79 PSI!!!!!!! I think a little bit of drool spilled out of my mouth because I was staring the gauge so long with a dumbfounded look on my face. Naw, can't be. Check again, still 79. Let the air out, back down to 35 psi. Checked the rest and the back passenger was down to 26 psi.

Daughter said the light came on the day before and when she walked around the car the only tire that looked low was the driver's front so she gave it a "little" air without using a gauge. (Every vehicle I own has a gauge in the glove box and there has to be 4 more in a basket above my compressor.)

Needless to say we had a little discussion about proper vehicle maintenance along with some hands-on learning.

Thread called on account of stupid.

Zenmervolt - AnandTech Garage Moderator

- Goddamn VB re-opened a previously locked thread. Locked a second time.

thescreensavers
10-26-2009, 09:25 PM
I would say no but according to your sig, it looks like you have choked her already.

fleabag
10-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Eh, at least she tried which is saying a lot considering that most people drive with their tires UNDER-inflated due to carelessness, which is far more dangerous..

zerocool84
10-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by: fleabag
Eh, at least she tried which is saying a lot considering that most people drive with their tires UNDER-inflated due to carelessness, which is far more dangerous..

Of course you'd condone over inflating.

MotF Bane
10-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Pics of daughter?

jlee
10-26-2009, 09:49 PM

79psi is probably not that much more than max sidewall anyway, right?

Originally posted by: MotF Bane
Pics of daughter?

:thumbsup:

spidey07
10-26-2009, 09:56 PM
She's a girl. They don't get this stuff. Teach her how to use a gauge and what to do.

Kromis
10-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Pics of daughter?

I'm assuming she's in his sig.

PhoKingGuy
10-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by: spidey07
She's a girl. They don't get this stuff. Teach her how to use a gauge and what to do.

I have a female friend who has an E46 M3 manual with a fully done suspension, intake, exhaust, retune. She does all her work herself and goes to track days as well. She just recently landed an engineering internship at BMW (In Munich mind you).

Hell even my GF told the guy doing her smog check that 150 was rip off for an O2 sensor and asked to borrow a wrench to change it herself.

So no, its not that blind of a stereotype.

StageLeft
10-26-2009, 10:25 PM
I bet she didn't release the air from your compressor properly including the bottom drain.
I have a female friend who has an E46 M3 manual with a fully done suspension, intake, exhaust, retune. She does all her work herself and goes to track days as well. She just recently landed an engineering internship at BMW (In Munich mind you).

Hell even my GF told the guy doing her smog check that 150 was rip off for an O2 sensor and asked to borrow a wrench to change it herself.

So no, its not that blind of a stereotype.Most have no clue, though. That said, almost as many guys don't have a clue, either. Tell them the check engine light indicates the atmospheric cabin vent is plugged and without a new one for $60 the passenger compartment is mildly toxic from CO2 and see how many people give you the money for a new one.

woodie1
10-26-2009, 10:29 PM
I'd think about taking the keys away from her for awhile but that would probably be more of a hardship on you than her.

Bignate603
10-26-2009, 10:37 PM

So 79 psi is safer than 26 psi? Your idiocy knows no bounds.

JulesMaximus
10-26-2009, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by: spidey07

You really have a low opinion of all women don't you?

Hell, I'd bet money that half the guys on this message board couldn't even change a flat tire.

fleabag
10-26-2009, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by: Bignate603

And your ignorance and arrogance knows no bounds! It's too bad because if you knew better, you'd know that the risk of a blowout is higher at 26psi than at 79psi. I can't recommend inflating past sidewall for various reasons but if she so happened to be performing stunt driving by driving on two wheels, then it'd be in her best interest to inflate the tires to something like 100psi.

Anyway, the reason why a tire inflated to something like 80psi is more safe (though not necessarily more safe than sidewall for example) is because tires deflect due to the road conditions, they act like springs, and the more they deflect the more heat they create. An "under-inflated" tire will produce sometimes unsafe levels of heat compared to an "over-inflated" tire which will actually produce far lower levels of heat even compared to a properly inflated tire. Being under-inflated becomes a real problem even a few PSI below where the tire should be at (which is relative but certainly not less than what is on the door) and is a major contributor to tire blowouts.

brblx
10-26-2009, 11:44 PM

And your ignorance and arrogance knows no bounds! It's too bad because if you knew better, you'd know that the risk of a blowout is higher at 26psi than at 79psi.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAhahahahahahahahahahahaha.. .

*gasp*

....hahahahahahahaaahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahaha hahahah...
*gasp* ....HA.

you're an idiot.

edit: i shouldn't try and argue with you, but since you'll come back wanting some kind of argument for the rest of your post-

if you run a tire very low for a decent amount of time, you get a line carved into the sidewall. if you run it at higher speeds, typically damn near flat, you'll create enough heat in the sidewall to cause a blowout. the action of the sidewall folding and unfolding at the tire rotates is what causes the heat. 26psi will not cause this. 20psi will not cause this. try 10-15 pounds in a typical car tire, at most.

you also clearly have no understanding of why 80psi in a car tire is bad, and i'm not going to give you a physics lesson. please, put 80psi in your tires and go for a drive, preferably at 2am and on poorly constructed (and more importantly empty) roads. it would be the best thing you ever did for the world.

alimoalem
10-26-2009, 11:49 PM
With your wordy explanation taken into consideration, I'm with Bignate603. There's too many ways to respond to what you wrote.

And I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the OP wouldn't let one of the two girls in his sig drive...

OP, honestly, I would've just laughed from shock. Like someone else said, she at least made the effort of fixing something. Be happy that now, not only is your daughter willing to do something when the car needs some attention, she actually knows something because you taught her.

JulesMaximus
10-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by: brblx

And your ignorance and arrogance knows no bounds! It's too bad because if you knew better, you'd know that the risk of a blowout is higher at 26psi than at 79psi.

*gasp*

*gasp* ....HA.

you're an idiot.

edit: i shouldn't try and argue with you, but since you'll come back wanting some kind of argument for the rest of your post-

if you run a tire very low for a decent amount of time, you get a line carved into the sidewall. if you run it at higher speeds, typically damn near flat, you'll create enough heat in the sidewall to cause a blowout. the action of the sidewall folding and unfolding at the tire rotates is what causes the heat. 26psi will not cause this. 20psi will not cause this. try 10-15 pounds in a typical car tire, at most.

you also clearly have no understanding of why 80psi in a car tire is bad, and i'm not going to give you a physics lesson. please, put 80psi in your tires and go for a drive, preferably at 2am and on poorly constructed (and more importantly empty) roads. it would be the best thing you ever did for the world.

80 psi is too much. 79 psi is fine though. ;)

thomsbrain
10-26-2009, 11:55 PM

And your ignorance and arrogance knows no bounds! It's too bad because if you knew better, you'd know that the risk of a blowout is higher at 26psi than at 79psi. I can't recommend inflating past sidewall for various reasons but if she so happened to be performing stunt driving by driving on two wheels, then it'd be in her best interest to inflate the tires to something like 100psi.

Anyway, the reason why a tire inflated to something like 80psi is more safe (though not necessarily more safe than sidewall for example) is because tires deflect due to the road conditions, they act like springs, and the more they deflect the more heat they create. An "under-inflated" tire will produce sometimes unsafe levels of heat compared to an "over-inflated" tire which will actually produce far lower levels of heat even compared to a properly inflated tire. Being under-inflated becomes a real problem even a few PSI below where the tire should be at (which is relative but certainly not less than what is on the door) and is a major contributor to tire blowouts.

You're right that under-inflated tires blow because they generate too much heat and lose their structural strength. However, over-inflated tires blow because there is too much pressure for their existing strength to hold. Considering most passenger tires top out at around 44 psi in safe capability and she was nearly DOUBLE that, I'd say she was not only at risk of blowing while driving, but she could have had it blow up in her face as she inflated it.

I had a non-car savvy roommate who blew up a tire in his face because he wasn't using a gauge. He had permanent eye damage and even after surgery was never able to see the same again.

The OP is lucky he got to "show" his daughter ANYTHING after this, let alone how to inflate a tire properly.

Bignate603
10-27-2009, 12:03 AM

Yes, so you should drive around on rock hard tires that will bounce around like a basketball with a tiny little contact patches. Brilliant.

CurseTheSky
10-27-2009, 01:50 AM
I don't remember who said it, and I believe it was on a different forum, but...

A classic car enthusiast was talking during dinner about repainting his (65ish) Corvette, and generally complaining that it would cost a lot, so he was still on the fence. Well, his four year old didn't like to see daddy so worried, so he thought he'd help. Daddy walked into the garage the next day to find the Corvette Stingray about 2/3rds original black, and 1/3rd bright blue. And there was the four year old, grinning from ear to ear with a spray can in hand saying, "See daddy, I painted your car, now you don't have to spend a lot!" :D

I would take this as a blessing. She didn't get hurt, the car didn't get damaged, and the equipment is still all in working order. Don't just take the time to show her how to use a tire pressure gauge and inflate a tire properly; take this time to teach her all of the "basics" of car maintenance - what low oil pressure means / what to do, how to diagnose a dead battery and jump start a car, where the fluids are and what to fill them with (I stopped someone in a parking lot the other day before they poured power steering fluid in their coolant... ugh), etc. And be thankful that you have a daughter willing to do the basic maintenance herself.

thescreensavers
10-27-2009, 01:53 AM

Yes, so you should drive around on rock hard tires that will bounce around like a basketball with a tiny little contact patches. Brilliant.

When it gets really wet here I lower my rear tires to about30 psi for more traction from 35. Yes there is a big difference

LTC8K6
10-27-2009, 02:07 AM
I'm just thankful that my car also tells me which tire is low so I don't do that... :D

The other day it told me the spare was low, which I had no clue it could do...

MotF Bane
10-27-2009, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by: Kromis
Pics of daughter?

I'm assuming she's in his sig.

Tried that, those look to be several years out of date.

MotF Bane
10-27-2009, 02:08 AM

*gasp*

*gasp* ....HA.

you're an idiot.

LOL this!

fleabag
10-27-2009, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by: thomsbrain

You're right that under-inflated tires blow because they generate too much heat and lose their structural strength. However, over-inflated tires blow because there is too much pressure for their existing strength to hold. Considering most passenger tires top out at around 44 psi in safe capability and she was nearly DOUBLE that, I'd say she was not only at risk of blowing while driving, but she could have had it blow up in her face as she inflated it.

I had a non-car savvy roommate who blew up a tire in his face because he wasn't using a gauge. He had permanent eye damage and even after surgery was never able to see the same again.

The OP is lucky he got to "show" his daughter ANYTHING after this, let alone how to inflate a tire properly.

Oh please, 100psi is not too much psi for a tire. You run a MUCH higher risk of a tire blowing out from underinflation than from over inflation. I saw a guy take like a 12 year old, DRY ROTTED tire and inflate it all the way to 245psi before it burst entirely. 100psi is nothing for most tires, I mean look at your bicycle tires (not the bicycle tires on road bikes, but on most other bicycles) and you'll see that while most people may inflate to 40psi (I guess?) it has a range on the tire and it's usually something like 30-80psi. Are you trying to tell me that a bicycle tire is better built than your car tire? To give you an idea, while cars may not inflate their tires to 80-100psi, semi-trucks do, and they retread those tires as well! I'm not going to get into an argument about the merits of inflating your tires way beyond what is recommended of the sidewall but I just want to "comfort" you in knowing that you're pretty unlikely to burst your tires inflating them too much unless they've got a defect like being formerly punctured, damaged, dry rotted, old, whatever.

*gasp*

*gasp* ....HA.

you're an idiot.

OOOO what you think it's goanna blow? Are you stupid? I think you just have no idea what you're talking about. You're so used to inflating your tires to a paltry 30psi that you think something like 100psi is goanna blow your tires, well I've got to tell you, it won't.

I didn't suggest that either. Anyway, if a tire wears perfectly evenly across, wouldn't that be an accomplishment? That this is something most people try to achieve? Well what if I told you that the only way to accomplish this was to inflate your tires to sidewall? What, first wearing down the sides is unacceptable but when you find out that the solution to it is to inflate to the tire's sidewall that all of a sudden that is a far worse outcome? Give me a break! Nobody suggested that inflating to the PSI the OP's what ever was a good idea, but it was certainly better than being non attentive and just letting the tire get dangerously low.

fleabag
10-27-2009, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by: thescreensavers

When it gets really wet here I lower my rear tires to about30 psi for more traction from 35. Yes there is a big difference

Irony, that's a wonderful idea! Hope you hydroplane!

*hint, an under-inflated/wide tire is more likely to hydroplane than a properly/narrow/overinflated tire. If you don't want to inflate your tires to sidewall, then at the very least follow what the manufacturer suggests because under-inflating is far worse.

SearchMaster
10-27-2009, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by: CurseTheSky
I don't remember who said it, and I believe it was on a different forum, but...

A classic car enthusiast was talking during dinner about repainting his (65ish) Corvette, and generally complaining that it would cost a lot, so he was still on the fence. Well, his four year old didn't like to see daddy so worried, so he thought he'd help. Daddy walked into the garage the next day to find the Corvette Stingray about 2/3rds original black, and 1/3rd bright blue. And there was the four year old, grinning from ear to ear with a spray can in hand saying, "See daddy, I painted your car, now you don't have to spend a lot!" :D

Was he in Tennessee? Because this EXACT scenario happened to my cousin. I don't know if the color schemes were the same but I bet that was him...

boomerang
10-27-2009, 06:39 AM
<snip, snip snip,snip>
The usual saying is to quit while you're ahead. You're not ahead, but please, just quit. Please!!!!!!!

fleabag
10-27-2009, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by: boomerang
<snip, snip snip,snip>
The usual saying is to quit while you're ahead. You're not ahead, but please, just quit. Please!!!!!!!

I'm not going to "quit" simply because you people don't know any better. I'm right and I want to get the point across, unfortunately you people have your beliefs stuck in your fucking skulls and are sticking with it! (I'm sure you could say the same thing about me)

Marlin1975
10-27-2009, 07:22 AM
<snip, snip snip,snip>

I'm not going to "quit" simply because you people don't know any better. I'm right and I want to get the point across, unfortunately you people have your beliefs stuck in your fucking skulls and are sticking with it! (I'm sure you could say the same thing about me)

You are not right. Some cars come with pressure ratings in the high 20's. The 79 for street car tire was at least a good 10-20psi to much, and that was at cold rating. After driving it would increase much more and would be more a problem then 26 cold.

So again, you are wrong and only look like a idiot when you post in Garage.

boomerang
10-27-2009, 07:51 AM
You get rid of one LOUISSSSS and another takes his place.

FeuerFrei
10-27-2009, 08:21 AM
I inflated my Corolla's tires to 78 PSI once. I was judging by eye because I didn't own a gauge yet.

Drove around like that for a few days and noticed a droning sound at parking lot speeds. Tread noise, in retrospect.

I took it in to the dealer to get it checked and they told me how overinflated the tires were. Felt kinda dumb.

fleabag
10-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
<snip, snip snip,snip>

You are not right. Some cars come with pressure ratings in the high 20's. The 79 for street car tire was at least a good 10-20psi to much, and that was at cold rating. After driving it would increase much more and would be more a problem then 26 cold.

So what if they come with tire pressure suggestions in the high 20s. What is listed on the door jam believe it or not is not actually related to the tire you have on the vehicle. The door jam has no idea what tire and its construction is installed. Also you talk about how on "a street car tire was at least a good 10-20psi too much" yet you seem to not be aware that there are pickup trucks that aren't heavy duty (don't have dualies) yet have tires that have a max sidewall rating of 80psi. The sidewall ratings have more to do with how much weight the manufacturer thinks the tire should be able to support and generally higher pressures facilitate higher loads indexes. While a manufacturer could state max load 1500lbs, max psi 200, they won't because that tire is able to achieve the max load they desire at a lower pressure which in the case of their tires is 44psi, 51psi or what ever they have listed. Radial tires do not "balloon" like the old bias-ply tires of yesteryear so treadwear down the very center of the tire is usually extremely uncommon. An unyielding tire in the case of an overinflated one is not going to see very high pressure increases like an under-inflated tire would because there is less flexing and therefore less heat. I bet you're not aware of this (cause that's why you think I'm dumb) but a tire's Load Index, Speed Rating, Wear rating, and other characteristics are invalid unless the tire is inflated to its sidewall rating.

Marlin1975
10-27-2009, 08:43 AM
<snip, snip snip,snip>

So what if they come with tire pressure suggestions in the high 20s. What is listed on the door jam believe it or not is not actually related to the tire you have on the vehicle. The door jam has no idea what tire and its construction is installed. Also you talk about how on "a street car tire was at least a good 10-20psi too much" yet you seem to not be aware that there are pickup trucks that aren't heavy duty (don't have dualies) yet have tires that have a max sidewall rating of 80psi. The sidewall ratings have more to do with how much weight the manufacturer thinks the tire should be able to support and generally higher pressures facilitate higher loads indexes. While a manufacturer could state max load 1500lbs, max psi 200, they won't because that tire is able to achieve the max load they desire at a lower pressure which in the case of their tires is 44psi, 51psi or what ever they have listed. Radial tires do not "balloon" like the old bias-ply tires of yesteryear so treadwear down the very center of the tire is usually extremely uncommon. An unyielding tire in the case of an overinflated one is not going to see very high pressure increases like an under-inflated tire would because there is less flexing and therefore less heat. I bet you're not aware of this (cause that's why you think I'm dumb) but a tire's Load Index, Speed Rating, Wear rating, and other characteristics are invalid unless the tire is inflated to its sidewall rating.

This thread is not about LT truck tires that can have higher pressure ratings, but about...

"I get in the Prius yesterday and..."

where 79psi cold is way to much.

But as already said everytime you post you just prove you have little to no knowledge of things auto related.

Oh and I just found this...

"The original tires that Prius comes with support a maximum cold pressure of 50 PSI..."
So his tires were about 30psi over the MAX pressure.
But some Prius also come with tires that have a max of 44psi. So the 50 is best case.

PlasmaBomb
10-27-2009, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by: Squisher
I get in the Prius yesterday and pull out of the garage and notice an idiot light flashing that looks like a tire cross section. Hmmm. Pull out the manual and it says if it's flashing then the low tire pressure indicator system is malfunctioning (the light is supposed to be on, solid). Double Hmmm. OK, backup to the garage. Get out my nice digital pressure gauge and start at the driver's front. 79 PSI!!!!!!! I think a little bit of drool spilled out of my mouth because I was staring the gauge so long with a dumbfounded look on my face. Naw, can't be. Check again, still 79. Let the air out, back down to 35 psi. Checked the rest and the back passenger was down to 26 psi.

Daughter said the light came on the day before and when she walked around the car the only tire that looked low was the driver's front so she gave it a "little" air without using a gauge. (Every vehicle I own has a gauge in the glove box and there has to be 4 more in a basket above my compressor.)

Needless to say we had a little discussion about proper vehicle maintenance along with some hands-on learning.

It's either time to update the sig, or stop letting children drive...

PlasmaBomb
10-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by: LTC8K6
I'm just thankful that my car also tells me which tire is low so I don't do that... :D

cool...

PlasmaBomb
10-27-2009, 09:26 AM
<snip, snip snip,snip>

Oh really? (http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/PlasmaBomb/Radial-overinflation.jpg)

Michelin (http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care/tire-saving-tips/air-pressure-tips/)

Recommended Pressure

If you don?t know the proper inflation air pressure for your tires, what do you do?

Easy. Check at one of the following places on your vehicle:

* In the vehicle owners manual.
* On the vehicle?s door jamb. (Often, a vehicle information placard is located on the door jamb along with the recommended tire inflation pressure.)
* Inside the fuel hatch filler flap. (In some vehicles.)
* The glove compartment door. (In some vehicles.)
But NOT on the tire. The inflation pressure shown on the tire sidewall is only the maximum tire inflation pressure. In most situations, the vehicle manufacturers recommended tire inflation pressure is shown on the vehicle placard. However, on some older vehicles, the recommended pressure listed by your vehicle?s manufacturer may be shown as two numbers: One for city speed driving and normal load and one for highway speeds and/or maximum capacity vehicle load. Be sure to inflate your tires to the recommended inflation pressure for each type of driving situation.

Michelin >>>>>>>>>>>>>> falebag.

JDub02
10-27-2009, 09:30 AM
the funniest part about this whole thing is that the OP has a prius. no vehicle does a better job of screaming "i'm gay". you know what it sounds like idling? homohomohomohomohomohomohomohomo </jeff dunham>

PlasmaBomb
10-27-2009, 09:47 AM
DRIVING ON ANY TIRE THAT DOES NOT HAVE THE CORRECT INFLATION PRESSURE IS DANGEROUS
Any underinflated tire builds up excessive heat that may result in sudden tire
destruction. If tires are supplied as original equipment, refer to the tire decal on
the vehicle (check vehicle and/or vehicle owner?s manual for decal location) for
the recommended operating pressures. For replacement tires, the correct infla-
tion pressure will be provided by your tire retailer; if not, refer to the vehicle
decal.
These inflation pressures must be maintained as a minimum. However, do not
exceed the maximum pressure rating indicated on the tire sidewall.

^More from Michelin

Maximum Load

A tire's maximum load is the most weight the tire is designed to carry. Since a tire's load carrying capacity is related to the tire's size and how much inflation pressure is actually used, maximum loads are rated with the tire inflated to an industry assigned inflation pressure.

Each load range has a assigned air pressure identified in pounds per square inch (psi) at which the tire's maximum load is rated. Listed below are the air pressures at which maximum load is rated for popular P-metric tires:
Tire Load Ranges

Inflation Pressure Assigned
For "Maximum Load" Ratings
P-metric
Standard Load (SL) 35 psi
Extra Load (XL) 41 psi

For example, P235/75R15 P-metric sized, standard load tires used on cars and light trucks would be rated to carry the following maximum loads at 35 psi:
Cars Full Value 2028 lbs.
Light Trucks 9% Reduced Value 1845 lbs.

Additionally, while a tire's maximum load is the most weight the tire is designed to carry, its load carrying capacity at lower inflation pressures is proportional to how much inflation pressure is used. For example, P235/75R15 P-metric sized, standard load (SL) and extra load (XL) tires used on cars would be rated to carry the following loads at the inflation pressures indicated:

Air Pressure (psi).....20.....23.....26.....29.....32.....35... ..38.....41
P235/75R15 SL..1543..1635..1753..1852..1940..2028

P235/75R15 XL..1543..1635..1753..1852..1940..2028..2105..2183

NOTE: P-metric and Euro-metric sized tires' "maximum load" inflation pressure are, different that the tire's "maximum inflation pressure".

Maximum Inflation Pressure

A tire's maximum inflation pressure is the highest "cold" inflation pressure that the tire is designed to contain. However the tire's maximum inflation pressure should only be used when called for on the vehicle's tire placard or in the vehicle's owners manual. It is also important to remember that the vehicle's recommended tire inflation pressure is always to be measured and set when the tire is "cold". Cold conditions are defined as early in the morning before the day's ambient temperature, sun's radiant heat or the heat generated while driving have caused the tire pressure to temporarily increase.

For the reasons indicated above, It is also normal to experience "hot" tire pressures that are up to 5 to 6 psi above the tire's recommended "cold" pressure during the day if the vehicle is parked in the sun or has been extensively driven. Therefore, if the vehicle's recommended "cold" inflation pressures correspond with the tire's maximum inflation pressure, it will often appear that too much tire pressure is present. However, this extra "hot" tire pressure is temporary and should NOT be bled off to return the tire pressure to within the maximum inflation pressure value branded on the tire. If the "cold" tire pressure was correctly set initially, the temporary "hot" tire pressure will have returned to the tire's maximum inflation pressure when next measured in "cold" conditions.

A tire's "maximum inflation pressure" may be different that the assigned tire pressure used to rate the tire's "maximum load". For example, while a P-metric sized standard load tire's maximum load is rated at 35 psi, many P-metric sized standard load performance and touring tires are designed to contain up to 44 psi (and are branded on their sidewalls accordingly). This additional range of inflation pressure (in this case, between 36 and 44 psi) has been provided to accommodate any unique handling, high speed and/or rolling resistance requirements determined by the tire and vehicle manufacturers. These unique tire pressures will be identified on the vehicle placard in the vehicle's owner's manual.

Hmmm... looks like fleabag is wrong about the max. load being at max. sidewall... what a shame/surprise.

:(

Edit: Formatting.

StageLeft
10-27-2009, 10:17 AM
My guess is 79 is more likely to blow than 26. Afterall 26 is actually pretty darn close to the recommended tire pressure. On one of my cars I think it says 30 on the rear/33 front and on another it's 32 for both. 79 is way out of the range, literally more than twice as many PSI recommended for the car and many PSI above max wall PSI.

Car tires are not the same as bicycle tires. They are under different stresses so I have no idea if a car tire could handle 120 PSI just because I can pump my bike tire up there. I assume it wouldn't want to. I do know that with bicycle tires you increase risks of a puncture flat as you raise pressure too high because there is far less give when something presses on it. Either the pressing object goes away or the tire pops.

JulesMaximus
10-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by: Skoorb
My guess is 79 is more likely to blow than 26. Afterall 26 is actually pretty darn close to the recommended tire pressure. On one of my cars I think it says 30 on the rear/33 front and on another it's 32 for both. 79 is way out of the range, literally more than twice as many PSI recommended for the car and many PSI above max wall PSI.

Car tires are not the same as bicycle tires. They are under different stresses so I have no idea if a car tire could handle 120 PSI just because I can pump my bike tire up there. I assume it wouldn't want to. I do know that with bicycle tires you increase risks of a puncture flat as you raise pressure too high because there is far less give when something presses on it. Either the pressing object goes away or the tire pops.

Actually, that's not true. I run 110 psi in my front tire on my road bike and 120 psi in the rear and I almost NEVER get flats. Lower pressures result in pinch flats caused by the tire deflecting too much and getting pinched between the rim and the road.

Car tires are not the same as bicycle tires though, as you stated. Not sure why fleabag even brought bicycle tires into his weak-assed argument because I can think of no correlation between car tires and bicycle tires.

PlasmaBomb
10-27-2009, 10:45 AM
I take it that your bicycles run tubed tires?

Which would be a pretty big difference to tubeless car tires.

The fact that bike tires are also very narrow will also make a big difference.

LTC8K6
10-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by: PlasmaBomb

cool...

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbn...86c078241768d0b65g.jpg (http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/7a0d30ddad4575b486c078241768d0b65g.jpg)

jlee
10-27-2009, 11:54 AM

I didn't suggest that either. Anyway, if a tire wears perfectly evenly across, wouldn't that be an accomplishment? That this is something most people try to achieve? Well what if I told you that the only way to accomplish this was to inflate your tires to sidewall? What, first wearing down the sides is unacceptable but when you find out that the solution to it is to inflate to the tire's sidewall that all of a sudden that is a far worse outcome? Give me a break! Nobody suggested that inflating to the PSI the OP's what ever was a good idea, but it was certainly better than being non attentive and just letting the tire get dangerously low.

Then I would tell you you're full of shit.

From someone who actually drives. And buys tires.

So STFU.

JeffreyLebowski
10-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by: thescreensavers

I think you need new or better tires.

Squisher
10-27-2009, 01:15 PM

:D

Those are the grandkids in my sig. My daughter is 25.

PlasmaBomb
10-27-2009, 01:47 PM

cool...

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbn...86c078241768d0b65g.jpg (http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/7a0d30ddad4575b486c078241768d0b65g.jpg)

:heart:

Thanks.

Again, cool :beer::thumbsup:

PlasmaBomb
10-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by: Squisher

:D

Those are the grandkids in my sig. My daughter is 25.

:laugh:

:camera:?

StageLeft
10-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Actually, that's not true. I run 110 psi in my front tire on my road bike and 120 psi in the rear and I almost NEVER get flats. Lower pressures result in pinch flats caused by the tire deflecting too much and getting pinched between the rim and the road.

Car tires are not the same as bicycle tires though, as you stated. Not sure why fleabag even brought bicycle tires into his weak-assed argument because I can think of no correlation between car tires and bicycle tires.Pinch flats increase at lower pressures but I'm sure puncture flats increase at higher. I certainly have noticed that myself which is why I only do about 105 rear now.

Stop asking for pics of his daughter.

Seriously.

Now, pics.

mb
10-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Would it be justifiable homicide to choke my daughter?

No, but it would be OK to take it out on fleabag.

InflatableBuddha
10-27-2009, 02:08 PM
You get rid of one LOUISSSSS and another takes his place.

Not really...LOUISSSS was a fanboy; fleabag is just a moron.

JulesMaximus
10-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

Car tires are not the same as bicycle tires though, as you stated. Not sure why fleabag even brought bicycle tires into his weak-assed argument because I can think of no correlation between car tires and bicycle tires.Pinch flats increase at lower pressures but I'm sure puncture flats increase at higher. I certainly have noticed that myself which is why I only do about 105 rear now.

Stop asking for pics of his daughter.

Seriously.

Now, pics.

You have to deal with goatheads where you live if I'm not mistaken. Those are the bane of all cyclists.

Still, I find it kind of fun when I get flats (and it only happens maybe a couple times a year). I look at it as a challenge to see how long it takes me to change and get back on the road. I can't recall it ever taking more than a few minutes.

I was riding with a friend of mine one day and I got a flat on the rear tire. I stopped, popped the rear wheel off and swapped out the tube, mounted the tire back up and inflated with my CO2 cartridge.

My friend looked at me after I finished and said it would have taken him 30 minutes to do what I just did in 5. :laugh:

PlasmaBomb
10-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by: mb
Would it be justifiable homicide to choke my daughter?

No, but it would be OK to take it out on fleabag.

:laugh:

fleabag
10-27-2009, 06:08 PM
<snip, snip snip,snip>

Oh really? (http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/PlasmaBomb/Radial-overinflation.jpg)

Michelin (http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care/tire-saving-tips/air-pressure-tips/)

Recommended Pressure

If you don?t know the proper inflation air pressure for your tires, what do you do?

Easy. Check at one of the following places on your vehicle:

* In the vehicle owners manual.
* On the vehicle?s door jamb. (Often, a vehicle information placard is located on the door jamb along with the recommended tire inflation pressure.)
* Inside the fuel hatch filler flap. (In some vehicles.)
* The glove compartment door. (In some vehicles.)
But NOT on the tire. The inflation pressure shown on the tire sidewall is only the maximum tire inflation pressure. In most situations, the vehicle manufacturers recommended tire inflation pressure is shown on the vehicle placard. However, on some older vehicles, the recommended pressure listed by your vehicle?s manufacturer may be shown as two numbers: One for city speed driving and normal load and one for highway speeds and/or maximum capacity vehicle load. Be sure to inflate your tires to the recommended inflation pressure for each type of driving situation.

Michelin >>>>>>>>>>>>>> falebag.

We already established in another tire thread WHY the tire manufacturers list that as the recommendation, to follow the car manufacturer's suggestion and not what the sidewall says. The reason why they do that is to absolve them of liability in the event something happens. What exactly are you arguing? I'm well aware you people here are annoyed that I would suggest to inflate the tires to sidewall yet you've never said why it's so bothersome to do so, just that you shouldn't do it because the manufacturer tells you not to do it. (Even then, the door jam PSI is a suggestion, if you read the owners manual, it sometimes has other PSI suggestions)

DRIVING ON ANY TIRE THAT DOES NOT HAVE THE CORRECT INFLATION PRESSURE IS DANGEROUS
Any underinflated tire builds up excessive heat that may result in sudden tire
destruction. If tires are supplied as original equipment, refer to the tire decal on
the vehicle (check vehicle and/or vehicle owner?s manual for decal location) for
the recommended operating pressures. For replacement tires, the correct infla-
tion pressure will be provided by your tire retailer; if not, refer to the vehicle
decal.
These inflation pressures must be maintained as a minimum. However, do not
exceed the maximum pressure rating indicated on the tire sidewall.

^More from Michelin

Maximum Load

A tire's maximum load is the most weight the tire is designed to carry. Since a tire's load carrying capacity is related to the tire's size and how much inflation pressure is actually used, maximum loads are rated with the tire inflated to an industry assigned inflation pressure.

Each load range has a assigned air pressure identified in pounds per square inch (psi) at which the tire's maximum load is rated. Listed below are the air pressures at which maximum load is rated for popular P-metric tires:
Tire Load Ranges

Inflation Pressure Assigned
For "Maximum Load" Ratings
P-metric
Standard Load (SL) 35 psi
Extra Load (XL) 41 psi

For example, P235/75R15 P-metric sized, standard load tires used on cars and light trucks would be rated to carry the following maximum loads at 35 psi:
Cars Full Value 2028 lbs.
Light Trucks 9% Reduced Value 1845 lbs.

Additionally, while a tire's maximum load is the most weight the tire is designed to carry, its load carrying capacity at lower inflation pressures is proportional to how much inflation pressure is used. For example, P235/75R15 P-metric sized, standard load (SL) and extra load (XL) tires used on cars would be rated to carry the following loads at the inflation pressures indicated:

Air Pressure (psi).....20.....23.....26.....29.....32.....35... ..38.....41
P235/75R15 SL..1543..1635..1753..1852..1940..2028

P235/75R15 XL..1543..1635..1753..1852..1940..2028..2105..2183

NOTE: P-metric and Euro-metric sized tires' "maximum load" inflation pressure are, different that the tire's "maximum inflation pressure".

Maximum Inflation Pressure

A tire's maximum inflation pressure is the highest "cold" inflation pressure that the tire is designed to contain. However the tire's maximum inflation pressure should only be used when called for on the vehicle's tire placard or in the vehicle's owners manual. It is also important to remember that the vehicle's recommended tire inflation pressure is always to be measured and set when the tire is "cold". Cold conditions are defined as early in the morning before the day's ambient temperature, sun's radiant heat or the heat generated while driving have caused the tire pressure to temporarily increase.

For the reasons indicated above, It is also normal to experience "hot" tire pressures that are up to 5 to 6 psi above the tire's recommended "cold" pressure during the day if the vehicle is parked in the sun or has been extensively driven. Therefore, if the vehicle's recommended "cold" inflation pressures correspond with the tire's maximum inflation pressure, it will often appear that too much tire pressure is present. However, this extra "hot" tire pressure is temporary and should NOT be bled off to return the tire pressure to within the maximum inflation pressure value branded on the tire. If the "cold" tire pressure was correctly set initially, the temporary "hot" tire pressure will have returned to the tire's maximum inflation pressure when next measured in "cold" conditions.

A tire's "maximum inflation pressure" may be different that the assigned tire pressure used to rate the tire's "maximum load". For example, while a P-metric sized standard load tire's maximum load is rated at 35 psi, many P-metric sized standard load performance and touring tires are designed to contain up to 44 psi (and are branded on their sidewalls accordingly). This additional range of inflation pressure (in this case, between 36 and 44 psi) has been provided to accommodate any unique handling, high speed and/or rolling resistance requirements determined by the tire and vehicle manufacturers. These unique tire pressures will be identified on the vehicle placard in the vehicle's owner's manual.

Hmmm... looks like fleabag is wrong about the max. load being at max. sidewall... what a shame/surprise.

:(

Edit: Formatting.

Wait, you just proved exactly what I was saying! How can you write ALL OF THAT and then with a straight face tell me that disproves what I said?! I don't think you're aware that manufacturer's choose tire pressures based upon various factors and usually fuel economy is NOT their number #1 priority with comfort being their last priority because if it was, I can assure you tires would be inflated to sidewall like I suggest.

Originally posted by: JLee

Then I would tell you you're full of shit.

From someone who actually drives. And buys tires.

So STFU.

Oh you're an ass! Let's face it, you can't fathom the fact that you're wrong, and are incapable of comprehending that manufacturer's choose numbers which are based upon various factors, an AVERAGING. This means that they choose not to create a laundry list of numbers, a table of numbers for various situations and needs, just suggestions. Are you even aware that the owner's manuals of various "luxury cars" states to add 5psi to the tires if you plan on doing a lot of high speed driving? Do you even know why?

Hey guise! Instead of attacking me and my ideas, why not tell me a list reasons why you think one should not inflate their tires to sidewall and what you think will happen if you do! I think you guys are just being paranoid and don't have an fucking clue because you're too illiterate to know any better whether it be choice or being stubborn. In the mean time, I hope you enjoy your computers running at stock speeds with stock cooling systems and stock everything..

Toastedlightly
10-27-2009, 09:02 PM
I am starting a petition to ban Fleabag from offering auto advice on the Garage forum. If you wish to sign just quote this post.

Toastedlightly
10-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Fleabag, you ever think that recommendations are there for a reason? You don't go huffing rubber cement, do you? I know the manufacturer only recommends it so they can't be sued..

Bignate603
10-27-2009, 09:03 PM
I'm still amazed at how fleabag can be shown things by the car and tire manufacturer that blatantly refute what he says and still claim that the information supports what he claims.

Apparently critical thinking and reading comprehension aren't taught in high school anymore.

MotF Bane
10-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by: Toastedlightly
I am starting a petition to ban Fleabag from offering auto advice on the Garage forum. If you wish to sign just quote this post.

!

PhoKingGuy
10-27-2009, 09:21 PM

PlasmaBomb
10-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Let's face it, you can't fathom the fact that you're wrong

I think that someone in this thread is wrong and just can't face it... but I don't think that it is JLee. Let us examine the facts...

a tire's Load Index, Speed Rating, Wear rating, and other characteristics are invalid unless the tire is inflated to its sidewall rating.

Wrong

Well what if I told you that the only way to accomplish this (tire wears perfectly evenly across) was to inflate your tires to sidewall?

Wrong

Oh and are you aware that all those tire ratings on the sidewall are magically invalid unless you have the tire inflated to the sidewall?

Wrong

when you have your tires inflated to sidewall, no it isn't going to give you worse traction

AA:

Correct tyre pressure is important for several reasons:

* Tyre life ? under or over inflation increases wear
* Fuel economy ? under inflation increases fuel consumption
* Safety ? under or over inflation will affect grip and braking performance
* Ride ? over inflation can result in a harsh, uncomfortable ride

AA > fleabag

When I play Nascar heat (yes I know I shouldn't mention this but I will) I always raise the tires to the highest PSI allowed and have always found that the tires not only stay cooler but they grip just as well if not better in the game.

/facepalm.

Did you know that a Formula One car will only run about 16psi in their tires?

they do that because the tires get to ridiculous temperatures.

Wrong. PV = nRT pwns joo.

I've found simulators to be quite real
/facepalm.

Also something you have neglected to mention is that increasing the tire pressure changes how it will heat, and if the tire doesn't reach its operating temperatures it won't provide maximal grip.

Let me ask you a question in your own words...
How many cars have you really owned?

Also you haven't answered the question of how old you are yet...
So how old are you?

PlasmaBomb
10-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Withdrawn for the lulz!!

PlasmaBomb
10-27-2009, 09:30 PM
vB has the option to hide user posts doesn't it? I think I may have found a use for it :)

Toastedlightly
10-27-2009, 09:40 PM
vB has the option to hide user posts doesn't it? I think I may have found a use for it :)

But some poor fellow may take his advice. :brokenheart:

PottedMeat
10-27-2009, 09:45 PM

i don't think i've seen anyone support his posts. besides, they bring me much lulz. i vote NO ban. it's like there's a guaranteed horrible train wreck whenever he posts. much better than any 9/11 thread.

Bignate603
10-27-2009, 09:46 PM

So how old are you?

Fleabag's admitted to living at home and has mentioned that his parents bought his sister a car but from the sounds of it they didn't get him one. That really makes it sound like he's not 16 yet.

yh125d
10-27-2009, 09:59 PM
I stopped reading at Prius

MotF Bane
10-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by: yh125d
I stopped reading at Prius

Prius.

okay everyone, now we can say things about yh125d, he won't see them! :evil:

jhu
10-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by: PottedMeat

i don't think i've seen anyone support his posts. besides, they bring me much lulz. i vote NO ban. it's like there's a guaranteed horrible train wreck whenever he posts. much better than any 9/11 thread.

They're not entirely unsound. People have been running tires at max sidewall to save gas for decades. I have an '08 Jetta, have the tires at max sidewall (51 PSI), and haven't had any issues (15k miles, no abnormal tread wear). Of course, I also don't drive like a maniac either. I know plenty of people who run max sidewall and have changed their tires at 50k+ miles.

fleabag
10-27-2009, 11:01 PM

I think that someone in this thread is wrong and just can't face it... but I don't think that it is JLee. Let us examine the facts...

a tire's Load Index, Speed Rating, Wear rating, and other characteristics are invalid unless the tire is inflated to its sidewall rating.

Wrong

Well what if I told you that the only way to accomplish this (tire wears perfectly evenly across) was to inflate your tires to sidewall?

Wrong

Oh and are you aware that all those tire ratings on the sidewall are magically invalid unless you have the tire inflated to the sidewall?

Wrong

when you have your tires inflated to sidewall, no it isn't going to give you worse traction

AA:

AA > fleabag

When I play Nascar heat (yes I know I shouldn't mention this but I will) I always raise the tires to the highest PSI allowed and have always found that the tires not only stay cooler but they grip just as well if not better in the game.

/facepalm.

/facepalm.

Also something you have neglected to mention is that increasing the tire pressure changes how it will heat, and if the tire doesn't reach its operating temperatures it won't provide maximal grip.

So how old are you?

Cool brah! I like how the only way you can argue is by listing links with vague suggestions that have nothing to back them up. I'm not saying they're 100% wrong but to say that "over inflation increases wear" is a vague statement considering the fact that some cars inflated to the rating listed on the doorjam, fuel door or glove box, happen to wear down the sides but when inflated to the tire's sidewall rating, they wear perfectly evenly. Given the fact that you didn't even know nor understood the fact that a tire's load index listed on the tire wall is a calculation based upon the tire's sidewall rating indicates to me you really haven't a fucking clue as to what you're talking about. This is an undisputed fact, what is being disputed is whether or not one should inflate their tires to what the sidewall says.

What is so difficult with you idiots is that you'll blindly follow manufacturer recommendations even if it results in various adverse effects, such as a rollover. If I told you that inflating your tires resulted in them blowing out when taking tight corners, possibly causing the the vehicle to roll over and that the solution is to inflate the tires to sidewall, you'd all ignore me and ask for me to be banned, cite the AAA website suggesting to listen to the car manufacturer's suggestion and leave it at that. But THEN, all of a sudden, Ford comes out and says exactly what I say, THEN ONLY THEN will you even bother to listen to what I say.

I made it very clear the ill effects one COULD experience inflating to sidewall but to say one cannot benefit from inflating to sidewall is bullshit and you're an idiot if you can't listen to empirical evidence to the contrary. Unless some asshole writes an article on something, it can't possibly be otherwise. Golf ball dimples on a car to improve fuel economy? Impossible! Cruising behind a tractor trailer to improve fuel economy? Impossible! Windows XP is faster than Vista? Impossible!

I'm annoyed that you people accuse me of lacking intelligence and critical thinking skills yet I seem to be the only one actually doing anything while you lazy fucks just sit on your asses and think that if it isn't able to found with google, it isn't factual or possible! I mean to have someone question me about the fact that I found my tires to wear perfectly evenly when inflated to sidewall opposed to down the sides like they used to when I had them inflated to the door jam recommendation. Sure the NVH is worse but that comes with the territory and I have not once denied the possibility of that occuring. The handling and fuel economy gains to me outweigh the increase in NVH. Not all cars are actually worse, in fact I found that in some cases the road noise actually got quieter which could be due to the reduced rolling resistance.

PhoKingGuy
10-27-2009, 11:07 PM

Wrong

Wrong

Wrong

AA:

AA > fleabag

/facepalm.

/facepalm.

So how old are you?

Cool brah! I like how the only way you can argue is by listing links with vague suggestions that have nothing to back them up. I'm not saying they're 100% wrong but to say that "over inflation increases wear" is a vague statement considering the fact that some cars inflated to the rating listed on the doorjam, fuel door or glove box, happen to wear down the sides but when inflated to the tire's sidewall rating, they wear perfectly evenly. Given the fact that you didn't even know nor understood the fact that a tire's load index listed on the tire wall is a calculation based upon the tire's sidewall rating indicates to me you really haven't a fucking clue as to what you're talking about. This is an undisputed fact, what is being disputed is whether or not one should inflate their tires to what the sidewall says.

What is so difficult with you idiots is that you'll blindly follow manufacturer recommendations even if it results in various adverse effects, such as a rollover. If I told you that inflating your tires resulted in them blowing out when taking tight corners, possibly causing the the vehicle to roll over and that the solution is to inflate the tires to sidewall, you'd all ignore me and ask for me to be banned, cite the AAA website suggesting to listen to the car manufacturer's suggestion and leave it at that. But THEN, all of a sudden, Ford comes out and says exactly what I say, THEN ONLY THEN will you even bother to listen to what I say.

I made it very clear the ill effects one COULD experience inflating to sidewall but to say one cannot benefit from inflating to sidewall is bullshit and you're an idiot if you can't listen to empirical evidence to the contrary. Unless some asshole writes an article on something, it can't possibly be otherwise. Golf ball dimples on a car to improve fuel economy? Impossible! Cruising behind a tractor trailer to improve fuel economy? Impossible! Windows XP is faster than Vista? Impossible!

I'm annoyed that you people accuse me of lacking intelligence and critical thinking skills yet I seem to be the only one actually doing anything while you lazy fucks just sit on your asses and think that if it isn't able to found with google, it isn't factual or possible! I mean to have someone question me about the fact that I found my tires to wear perfectly evenly when inflated to sidewall opposed to down the sides like they used to when I had them inflated to the door jam recommendation. Sure the NVH is worse but that comes with the territory and I have not once denied the possibility of that occuring. The handling and fuel economy gains to me outweigh the increase in NVH. Not all cars are actually worse, in fact I found that in some cases the road noise actually got quieter which could be due to the reduced rolling resistance.

Its because I believe something a trained engineer says over what some 15 year old like you read on some hypermiling forum. You can do whatever the hell you want as far as we're concerned, you just need to admit you have no actual real world experience with these things and you're just regurgitating them.

CupCak3
10-27-2009, 11:37 PM
You boys are missing the point... we still do not have pics of aforementioned 25yo daughter!

MotF Bane
10-27-2009, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by: CupCak3
You boys are missing the point... we still do not have pics of aforementioned 25yo daughter!

This man speaks the truth.

OP, this is AT. You know the requirements. Pics or ban.

MotF Bane
10-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by: PhoKingGuy

Its because I believe something a trained engineer says over what some 15 year old like you read on some hypermiling forum. You can do whatever the hell you want as far as we're concerned, you just need to admit you have no actual real world experience with these things and you're just regurgitating them.

Seriously, this. Engineer >>>>>>>>> fleabag.

Oh, and...
brah!
Ban.

PhoKingGuy
10-27-2009, 11:47 PM
BTW fleabag, you've given some Hyundai engineers something to laugh at, congratulations. You've made the wall again.

MotF Bane
10-27-2009, 11:50 PM
BTW fleabag, you've given some Hyundai engineers something to laugh at, congratulations. You've made the wall again.

?

fleabag
10-27-2009, 11:51 PM
Opposed to some 30 year old who read something on a hypermiling forum? Also did you forget about the whole thing where I mentioned MY personal experience? Or did you just skim like most other posters here and just posted your belief about a given poster after said skimming?

Also, you aren't exactly reading what some "trained engineer" said because if you did, I'm pretty sure you'd hear a lot more than "overinflation and underinflation = more tire wear" and "inflate your tires to what your door jam says".. If anything that sounds like what the marketing team interpreted FROM the engineers...Kinda like what you'all been doing with me today! If anything what I've been saying is what you'd hear from an engineer. Engineers have facts and data to back up their conclusions, change a variable get a different conclusion. Marketing teams on the other hand are just taking a single conclusion from a single series of variables and spitting it out into a form that the masses (like you people) can understand and then regurgitate to others.

I on the other hand already understand most of the variables engineers have to work with, so I changed a few of them, and have come out with my own generalized conclusion that can be regurgitated to the masses. Want to hear it? Too bad, you get to anyway: "Inflate your tires to sidewall listed on the tire, if you've got a pickup, take 10psi off the sidewall rating from the rear tires if it's unloaded. If you find that your tires are wearing down the center, remove 2 psi from the tires incrementally until you find that your tires wear perfectly evenly."

fleabag
10-27-2009, 11:53 PM

Nobody cares about some engineers at a Korean automotive company that makes cars that can't achieve Prius and Insight levels of fuel economy on average.

MotF Bane
10-27-2009, 11:55 PM

Nobody cares about some engineers at a Korean automotive company that makes cars that can't achieve Prius and Insight levels of fuel economy on average.

ROFLLLLLLL

MotF Bane
10-27-2009, 11:56 PM
Opposed to some 30 year old who read something on a hypermiling forum? Also did you forget about the whole thing where I mentioned MY personal experience? Or did you just skim like most other posters here and just posted your belief about a given poster after said skimming?

Also, you aren't exactly reading what some "trained engineer" said because if you did, I'm pretty sure you'd hear a lot more than "overinflation and underinflation = more tire wear" and "inflate your tires to what your door jam says".. If anything that sounds like what the marketing team interpreted FROM the engineers...Kinda like what you'all been doing with me today! If anything what I've been saying is what you'd hear from an engineer. Engineers have facts and data to back up their conclusions, change a variable get a different conclusion. Marketing teams on the other hand are just taking a single conclusion from a single series of variables and spitting it out into a form that the masses (like you people) can understand and then regurgitate to others.

I on the other hand already understand most of the variables engineers have to work with, so I changed a few of them, and have come out with my own generalized conclusion that can be regurgitated to the masses. Want to hear it? Too bad, you get to anyway: "Inflate your tires to sidewall listed on the tire, if you've got a pickup, take 10psi off the sidewall rating from the rear tires if it's unloaded. If you find that your tires are wearing down the center, remove 2 psi from the tires incrementally until you find that your tires wear perfectly evenly."

You have no personal experience, you're 15. And those numbers aren't written by marketing, are you insane?

PhoKingGuy
10-27-2009, 11:58 PM

?

My former roommate and good friend is a newly hired engineer for Hyundai USA. he works in vehicle development and they have a wall with funny shit on it. After I first showed him fleabags posts he laughed so hard he started putting them on the wall. Now hes so popular he has his own corner. Someone even translated it into Korean for the KDM engineers, haha

MotF Bane
10-28-2009, 12:00 AM

?

My former roommate and good friend is a newly hired engineer for Hyundai USA. he works in vehicle development and they have a wall with funny shit on it. After I first showed him fleabags posts he laughed so hard he started putting them on the wall. Now hes so popular he has his own corner. Someone even translated it into Korean for the KDM engineers, haha

Hahaha, awesome. I think fleabag is determined to keep those engineers amused.

PhoKingGuy
10-28-2009, 12:01 AM

Nobody cares about some dumb teenager who doesn't know what the hell he's taking about

Fixed

That cool enough for you brah?

fleabag
10-28-2009, 12:04 AM

You have no personal experience, you're 15. And those numbers aren't written by marketing, are you insane?

What numbers? Numbers or suggestions? Marketing people suggest listening to the door jam, engineers make the numbers on the door jam. Believe it or not, those aren't the same thing. Windows XP says I need a Pentium II to install, it says it on the box, it says it on the Wiki, does that mean I all of a sudden CANNOT install it on a Pentium I? My Intel P4 says its clock speed is 2.8ghz, does that mean I cannot run it at 3.6ghz and not experience any adverse effects and only a net positive gain? Oh that's right, the latter is alright because you read an article on Anandtech assuring you that you can in fact overclock your computer! Again, incapable of knowing the facts and deducing a conclusion because you're incapable of doing so whether it be because you're stupid, ignorant, trolling, or too scared about "not fitting in".

Also, who said I was 15?

MotF Bane
10-28-2009, 12:15 AM
Also, who said I was 15?

Give it a few years. You'll figure it out.

PhoKingGuy
10-28-2009, 12:19 AM

What numbers? Numbers or suggestions? Marketing people suggest listening to the door jam, engineers make the numbers on the door jam. Believe it or not, those aren't the same thing. Windows XP says I need a Pentium II to install, it says it on the box, it says it on the Wiki, does that mean I all of a sudden CANNOT install it on a Pentium I? My Intel P4 says its clock speed is 2.8ghz, does that mean I cannot run it at 3.6ghz and not experience any adverse effects and only a net positive gain? Oh that's right, the latter is alright because you read an article on Anandtech assuring you that you can in fact overclock your computer! Again, incapable of knowing the facts and deducing a conclusion because you're incapable of doing so whether it be because you're stupid, ignorant, trolling, or too scared about "not fitting in".

Also, who said I was 15?

With one of those ideas, you burn out a $20 dollar processor, big deal. With what you're saying, you could possibly cause great harm to your self or the ones you care about very severely if done incorrectly.

You said you were 15, you act like one and you sound like one too. Don't bother to deny it.

Those "stupid Korean engineers" you talk about know more than you ever will about designing a vehicle. I wouldn't discount them in your shoes. If you think you can, design a car and we'll talk.

fleabag
10-28-2009, 12:30 AM
With one of those ideas, you burn out a $20 dollar processor, big deal. With what you're saying, you could possibly cause great harm to your self or the ones you care about very severely if done incorrectly.

You said you were 15, you act like one and you sound like one too. Don't bother to deny it.

Those "stupid Korean engineers" you talk about know more than you ever will about designing a vehicle. I wouldn't discount them in your shoes. If you think you can, design a car and we'll talk.

One of my ideas could hurt someone? How about the assholes who change out their headlights to HIDs? The ones adding lift kits to their vehicles? Or in the cheapest fashion, using wood blocks between the leaf spring and rear axle? Lowering their car? Changing out their shocks or spring? Using a blow torch on the springs to lower their car? Any sort of engine modifications! Replacing their braking system? Upgrading their calipers? Adding a bigger master cylinder? Or finally, not inflating their tires at all and waiting until they have a blowout before they do anything about it!

There are a lot of things more dangerous and risky than following my suggestion yet I'm pretty sure I've seen more people say that I'm an idiot for suggesting such a thing than I've seen for any other car modification suggestion being posted in any thread on any forum aside from the guy who put the NOS DRINK into the gas tank of his motorcycle which wasn't even a suggestion but an accident.

I would LOVE for you to find the quote where I specifically say I'm 15 years old. As for those stupid korean engineers, first off is their primary goal max fuel economy or trying to make a car that most people will buy? If it's the former, I disagree, I'm pretty sure I know more than them about that, if it's the latter, then I'd most certainly agree that they would know more than me about that.

edit: Also, that processor and many other processors were NOT $20 when they were brand new yet people overclock them all the time despite being fresh from their box. Let's bring up another idea...Overvolting your CPU and Video card! And not the simple I go into a program or the bios and overvolt my processor but solder on some wires and attach Variable resistors to them type of overvolting? Yeah I'm pretty sure the manufacturer doesn't recommend that either!

MotF Bane
10-28-2009, 12:38 AM

One of my ideas could hurt someone? How about the assholes who change out their headlights to HIDs? The ones adding lift kits to their vehicles? Or in the cheapest fashion, using wood blocks between the leaf spring and rear axle? Lowering their car? Changing out their shocks or spring? Using a blow torch on the springs to lower their car? Any sort of engine modifications! Replacing their braking system? Upgrading their calipers? Adding a bigger master cylinder? Or finally, not inflating their tires at all and waiting until they have a blowout before they do anything about it!

There are a lot of things more dangerous and risky than following my suggestion yet I'm pretty sure I've seen more people say that I'm an idiot for suggesting such a thing than I've seen for any other car modification suggestion being posted in any thread on any forum aside from the guy who put the NOS DRINK into the gas tank of his motorcycle which wasn't even a suggestion but an accident.

I would LOVE for you to find the quote where I specifically say I'm 15 years old. As for those stupid korean engineers, first off is their primary goal max fuel economy or trying to make a car that most people will buy? If it's the former, I disagree, I'm pretty sure I know more than them about that, if it's the latter, then I'd most certainly agree that they would know more than me about that.

edit: Also, that processor and many other processors were NOT $20 when they were brand new yet people overclock them all the time despite being fresh from their box. Let's bring up another idea...Overvolting your CPU and Video card! And not the simple I go into a program or the bios and overvolt my processor but solder on some wires and attach Variable resistors to them type of overvolting? Yeah I'm pretty sure the manufacturer doesn't recommend that either!

AAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

As for those stupid korean engineers, first off is their primary goal max fuel economy or trying to make a car that most people will buy? If it's the former, I disagree, I'm pretty sure I know more than them about that,

Epic quote is fucking epic.

fleabag
10-28-2009, 12:40 AM

AAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

As for those stupid korean engineers, first off is their primary goal max fuel economy or trying to make a car that most people will buy? If it's the former, I disagree, I'm pretty sure I know more than them about that,

Epic quote is fucking epic.

Cool brah

jlee
10-28-2009, 12:46 AM
lmfao...

jlee
10-28-2009, 12:48 AM
I would LOVE for you to find the quote where I specifically say I'm 15 years old.
I would LOVE for you to find the quote where you conclusively prove that you aren't.

Bignate603
10-28-2009, 12:49 AM

This coming from the guy that wanted to stick something in his gas tank to reduce fuel capacity.

You honestly think you know more about fuel economy than automotive engineers? You are absolutely deluded.

fleabag
10-28-2009, 12:58 AM

This coming from the guy that wanted to stick something in his gas tank to reduce fuel capacity.

You honestly think you know more about fuel economy than automotive engineers? You are absolutely deluded.

Yes, this IS coming from a guy who wanted to stick something in the gas tank to reduce fuel capacity but possibly improve fuel economy.
Automotive engineers or Hyundai automotive engineers? That's like I said "GM can't make a decent car if they tried, those executives are morons" and then you go on to say, "Are you saying automotive executives are morons?" See that's the problem, you people can't put two things together and when you do, you can't make any sense of it and just call me stupid.

I would LOVE for you to find the quote where I specifically say I'm 15 years old.
I would LOVE for you to find the quote where you conclusively prove that you aren't.

Oh, well that's a whole 'nother thing, but yeah let's go back to the part where you prove I say that I'm 15 years old. I'm just dying to read the quote..

jlee
10-28-2009, 01:01 AM

Oh, well that's a whole 'nother thing, but yeah let's go back to the part where you prove I say that I'm 15 years old. I'm just dying to read the quote..

Where did I say that?

Hint: I didn't.

brblx
10-28-2009, 01:07 AM
it's best not to burn bridges, man.

he's totally gonna spit on your big mac.

Bignate603
10-28-2009, 01:07 AM
Yes, this IS coming from a guy who wanted to stick something in the gas tank to reduce fuel capacity but possibly improve fuel economy.
Automotive engineers or Hyundai automotive engineers? That's like I said "GM can't make a decent car if they tried, those executives are morons" and then you go on to say, "Are you saying automotive executives are morons?" See that's the problem, you people can't put two things together and when you do, you can't make any sense of it and just call me stupid.

We just call them as we see them. Anyways, it doesn't matter what automotive engineer you compare yourself to. The guy that designs doorhandles for Suzuki will have a better idea about fuel economy than you do.

The reason that everyone is convinced that you're a teenager is because you act like one. Most teenagers go through a phase where they are convinced that they know better than everyone else. If you aren't a teenager you never grew out of that phase.

Sounds like you're still in highschool though (http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=38&threadid=2330808)

50 minute essay tests is pretty standard for high school, much less so for college. It's not unheard of but not nearly as common.

fleabag
10-28-2009, 01:18 AM

Where did I say that?

Hint: I didn't.

No but you did say you would love fo me to find the quote where I conclusively prove that I'm not 15. Also who gives a shit, really. Whether I be 5 years old and have never been behind the wheel let alone SEEN a car before or a 55 year old guy who has worked at the good year factory for the past 30 years making tires, what we're arguing here is all that matters. My anecdotes about what I've experience or others' have experienced (what I've experience should be of more value since you can cross examine it), interspersed with facts like cars hydroplane less when they're overinflated than under-inflated or that the tire's ratings on the sidewall are based upon being inflated to another rating on its wall (its max COLD psi rating of 44psi, 51psi etc.) should be enough to convince you people. I think the worst part about all of this is that this isn't something I happened to discover on my own but a well known, tested theory supported by facts that weren't created through some studies but are inherent to automotive design, something that ALL VEHICLES ADHERE TO.

To put it succinctly, to figure out what kind of tire and inflation one wants on a car for a given application is not all that difficult. As I pointed out in another thread, if automotive engineers completely disregarded everything but safety, fuel economy and tire longevity, I can assure you that they'd have their tires at sidewall in the front and at near or a bit below sidewall in the rear, depending on whether or not the tires in the rear wear down the center when inflated to sidewall.

fleabag
10-28-2009, 01:19 AM

We just call them as we see them. Anyways, it doesn't matter what automotive engineer you compare yourself to. The guy that designs doorhandles for Suzuki will have a better idea about fuel economy than you do.

The reason that everyone is convinced that you're a teenager is because you act like one. Most teenagers go through a phase where they are convinced that they know better than everyone else. If you aren't a teenager you never grew out of that phase.

Sounds like you're still in highschool though (http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=38&threadid=2330808)

50 minute essay tests is pretty standard for high school, much less so for college. It's not unheard of but not nearly as common.

What college have you been going to? Must be skipping class and smoking dope it's no wonder you're not aware of writing out long passages..

PhoKingGuy
10-28-2009, 01:23 AM

You're a fucking moron, thats all it is. Since we're at this, whats your education? What are your credentials? Why should we believe what you say? Because you read some BS on a forum and you think you know everything?

You really are deluded

fleabag
10-28-2009, 01:30 AM

You're a fucking moron, thats all it is. Since we're at this, whats your education? What are your credentials? Why should we believe what you say? Because you read some BS on a forum and you think you know everything?

You really are deluded

You should believe what I say because of my experience and others' experience. The goal for tire wear is completely even tire wear, and if I can achieve that only by inflating to sidewall and consequently have improved fuel economy, then why not? Also how about this? Instead of inflating tires until I have even tire wear, why not inflate tires until I either reach sidewall rating or just before I don't have even tire wear? Oh that's right, because AAA didn't recommend it and the Michelin website doesn't recommend it, therefore I shouldn't do it. Toyota's website also doesn't recommend a lot of things. Saturn's website doesn't recommend a Warm Air Intake, it doesn't recommend putting an under-body cover or anything, doesn't mean I shouldn't or can't do it.

The only dissenters I've seen reading and hearing of are those who haven't even tried this themselves...

LTC8K6
10-28-2009, 01:39 AM

You really are deluded

You should believe what I say because of my experience and others' experience. The goal for tire wear is completely even tire wear, and if I can achieve that only by inflating to sidewall and consequently have improved fuel economy, then why not? Also how about this? Instead of inflating tires until I have even tire wear, why not inflate tires until I either reach sidewall rating or just before I don't have even tire wear? Oh that's right, because AAA didn't recommend it and the Michelin website doesn't recommend it, therefore I shouldn't do it. Toyota's website also doesn't recommend a lot of things. Saturn's website doesn't recommend a Warm Air Intake, it doesn't recommend putting an under-body cover or anything, doesn't mean I shouldn't or can't do it.

The only dissenters I've seen reading and hearing of are those who haven't even tried this themselves...

You don't own any automobile tires, so you have no experience at all.

PhoKingGuy
10-28-2009, 02:18 AM

You really are deluded

Then you have a shitty car. I've never inflated to anything but door jamb on any of the cars we have and the tires wear perfectly fine.

fleabag
10-28-2009, 02:43 AM

You really are deluded

You don't know that. Also I could technically have a car that I drive but do not legally own, inflate the tires to sidewall and then see the results.

PhoKingGuy
10-28-2009, 03:03 AM

You really are deluded

You don't know that. Also I could technically have a car that I drive but do not legally own, inflate the tires to sidewall and then see the results.

More proof that you're 16

fleabag
10-28-2009, 03:30 AM

You really are deluded

Then you have a shitty car. I've never inflated to anything but door jamb on any of the cars we have and the tires wear perfectly fine.

See, it's post like this that show how ignorant you are. "shitty car" What exactly is that suppose to mean? What are you going to lie and tell me that because the cars I drive and most other people I know drive have a twist beam, macpherson strut, double wishbone, multilink, etc. etc. suspension and that's why they wear on BOTH sides of the tire? Please... You'd POSSIBLY have a point if it was wearing on one side or on one side more than the other but that isn't the case. Also you fail to realize that a lot of the reason why people have wear on A side of a tire is not due to an alignment issue, but because they take corners really hard, causing the outerside of the tire to wear more prematurely.

But even then, wearing perfectly aside, why not inflate your tires until right before they start to wear down the middle (unevenly)? C'mon, list your reasons so I can pick em apart.

PhoKingGuy
10-28-2009, 03:48 AM

You really are deluded

See, it's post like this that show how ignorant you are. "shitty car" What exactly is that suppose to mean? What are you going to lie and tell me that because the cars I drive and most other people I know drive have a twist beam, macpherson strut, double wishbone, multilink, etc. etc. suspension and that's why they wear on BOTH sides of the tire? Please... You'd POSSIBLY have a point if it was wearing on one side or on one side more than the other but that isn't the case. Also you fail to realize that a lot of the reason why people have wear on A side of a tire is not due to an alignment issue, but because they take corners really hard, causing the outerside of the tire to wear more prematurely.

But even then, wearing perfectly aside, why not inflate your tires until right before they start to wear down the middle (unevenly)? C'mon, list your reasons so I can pick em apart.

Ill take a picture of the front tires of my GTI tomorrow for you. I do not drive that car easily by any chance and the tires wear fine enough evenly. I dont inflate more than that because low profile tires + too much pressure + hard corner is not a good thing.

fleabag
10-28-2009, 04:16 AM

You really are deluded

Ill take a picture of the front tires of my GTI tomorrow for you. I do not drive that car easily by any chance and the tires wear fine enough evenly. I dont inflate more than that because low profile tires + too much pressure + hard corner is not a good thing.

I have the tires on the Volvo S60 which is notorious for harsh handling as is at 51psi on all four tires. What I found was that the car took corners much better and didn't wear down the sides on the front tires like it used to. Unfortunately on the highway when it hits rough roads it's really loud and sometimes jarring but that's usually for short sections of highway and when I'm on newly paved sections it's just as good as in an LS400.

PhoKingGuy
10-28-2009, 04:19 AM
and I get the exact same thing at doorjamb, which is 38 PSI

PlasmaBomb
10-28-2009, 04:22 AM
Given the fact that you didn't even know nor understood the fact that a tire's load index listed on the tire wall is a calculation based upon the tire's sidewall rating indicates to me you really haven't a fucking clue as to what you're talking about. This is an undisputed fact - NO IT IS NOT, what is being disputed is whether or not one should inflate their tires to what the sidewall says.

A tyres load isn't based on its sidewall rating, nor does it require the tire to be inflated that high, it at 35 psi for standard car tires and 41 PSI for XL tires. You are wrong and to keep spouting that as a fact, which makes you look like an idiot.

Of course I know that a tyres load capacity is dependant on its inflation, that's basic high school physics, and obvious to anyone who experience with tyres...

*Everyone knows this*

The reason why they do that is to absolve them of liability in the event something happens.

Why would they need absolved of liability if inflating to the maximum sidewall pressure was absolutely safe? The answer is they wouldn't. If some random member of the public inflated them to their max sidewall, got in an accident and tried to sue the tire company, all they would have to do in court is stand up and say "Our tires and advice on how to inflate them were not responsible for the accident, here is a ream of data proving that inflating the tires to sidewall provides best grip, and best wear etc."

An overinflated tire is stiff and unyielding and the size of its footprint in contact with the road is reduced. If a vehicle's tires are overinflated by 6 psi, they could be damaged more easily when encountering potholes or debris in the road, as well as experience irregular tread wear.
- Tirerack.com

The problem with the firestones was that people were not checking their tire pressures and were running them underinflated compared to the manufacturers recommendation. The recommended pressure was increased to prevent lazy people from killing themselves by not checking their tire pressures.

Golf ball dimples on a car to improve fuel economy?
We all saw the video, with the clay and without the proper scaling of the dimples...

Cruising behind a tractor trailer to improve fuel economy?
We all know that driving 2' off a tractor trailers ass will reduce the aerodynamic drag on the following car... we would just question the safety of doing so.

Windows XP is faster than Vista?Impossible!
Not only has no one said this, it bears no relevance to cars.

I'm annoyed that you people accuse me of lacking intelligence and critical thinking skills yet I seem to be the only one actually doing anything

Sorry we have provided links and data supporting our ideas. You have provided speculation, anecdotal evidence and hearsay...

You keep saying that tire pressure is a comprimise... but max sidewall or greater is best, without knowing what other peoples criteria are. Sure for a hypermiler max PSI may get them an extra few mpgs, but others may not like the harsh ride, and other associated problems.

I mean to have someone question me about the fact that I found my tires to wear perfectly evenly when inflated to sidewall opposed to down the sides like they used to when I had them inflated to the door jam recommendation.

I think you mean your parents/sisters tires... and it is perfectly reasonable for people to ask for evidence, you could have posted pics and given details about rotation, how many miles covered and fuel used... but I forgot that you don't own a car so you can't do that.

PlasmaBomb
10-28-2009, 04:25 AM

You can't make cars period... therefore nobody cares about you.

You are also a douche, which means people actually dislike you.

PlasmaBomb
10-28-2009, 04:31 AM
As for those stupid korean engineers, first off is their primary goal max fuel economy or trying to make a car that most people will buy? If it's the former, I disagree, I'm pretty sure I know more than them about that

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha...

*gasp*

hahahahhahahahahahhahaaha!!!!

PlasmaBomb
10-28-2009, 04:32 AM

Look up SNDS.

Look up VOID warranty.

PlasmaBomb
10-28-2009, 04:38 AM
Saturn's website doesn't recommend a Warm Air Intake, doesn't mean I shouldn't or can't do it.

WARM AIR INTAKE?!?

BWHAHAHAHA... this thread keeps delivering!

PhoKingGuy
10-28-2009, 04:42 AM
Saturn's website doesn't recommend a Warm Air Intake, doesn't mean I shouldn't or can't do it.

WARM AIR INTAKE?!?

Wow I didnt even catch that one, thats great.

I sent this one to my friend, its going on the wall tomorrow.

fleabag
10-28-2009, 05:11 AM
Given the fact that you didn't even know nor understood the fact that a tire's load index listed on the tire wall is a calculation based upon the tire's sidewall rating indicates to me you really haven't a fucking clue as to what you're talking about. This is an undisputed fact - NO IT IS NOT, what is being disputed is whether or not one should inflate their tires to what the sidewall says.

A tyres load isn't based on its sidewall rating, nor does it require the tire to be inflated that high, it at 35 psi for standard car tires and 41 PSI for XL tires. You are wrong and to keep spouting that as a fact, which makes you look like an idiot.

Of course I know that a tyres load capacity is dependant on its inflation, that's basic high school physics, and obvious to anyone who experience with tyres...

*Everyone knows this*
The reason why they do that is to absolve them of liability in the event something happens.
Why would they need absolved of liability if inflating to the maximum sidewall pressure was absolutely safe? The answer is they wouldn't. If some random member of the public inflated them to their max sidewall, got in an accident and tried to sue the tire company, all they would have to do in court is stand up and say "Our tires and advice on how to inflate them were not responsible for the accident, here is a ream of data proving that inflating the tires to sidewall provides best grip, and best wear etc."
Ford vs. Firestone? Did you SEE how they were blaming each other!?!?! Because it would piss off manufacturers if they tried to make the most quiet, luxurious car only to have that destroyed by a tire company that makes its customers inflate to sidewall, making for a louder, rougher ride... Also there is the slight possibility of the tires wearing down the center, but judging by how many cars I've seen with wear along the sides, I'd say they couldn't give two shits about tire wear and only care about making the smoothest riding car out there while compromising on other things like handling, fuel economy, and in some cases road noise (rolling resistance).

The problem with the firestones was that people were not checking their tire pressures and were running them underinflated compared to the manufacturers recommendation. The recommended pressure was increased to prevent lazy people from killing themselves by not checking their tire pressures.
c'mon, let's face it, the real reason ford chose 26psi is it was the only way to get that fucking pickup truck (Explorer was based on a pickup) from not riding like one. Also if you took a good look at those tires, I'm pretty sure you'd see wear down the sides.

Golf ball dimples on a car to improve fuel economy?
We all saw the video, with the clay and without the proper scaling of the dimples... [/quote]
See, that's what you don't get. Two, three weeks ago if I said the same thing, we'd have everybody disputing it.

Plane on a treadmill, will it take off??

Same crap.
Cruising behind a tractor trailer to improve fuel economy?
We all know that driving 2' off a tractor trailers ass will reduce the aerodynamic drag on the following car... we would just question the safety of doing so.[/quote]
Meh, if you wouldn't believe it, someone else wouldn't and they'd get into a heated argument about how driving 15 feet of a tractor trailer is not going to result in you getter better fuel economy even though it will.

Windows XP is faster than Vista?Impossible!
Not only has no one said this, it bears no relevance to cars.[/quote]
Actually people have said this, regardless of whether or not it's true.

I'm annoyed that you people accuse me of lacking intelligence and critical thinking skills yet I seem to be the only one actually doing anything
Sorry we have provided links and data supporting our ideas. You have provided speculation, anecdotal evidence and hearsay...
What data? you don't have any data, you have links to consumer sites spouting out the same crap they've been saying since the beginning of time yet we've gone from solid tires, to inner tube bias tires, to tubeless bias tires, bias ply, radial and finally the much more advanced radial tires you have today. The risk of a tire wearing down the very center of a tire is reduced today due to being radials, even if you inflate to 100psi.

You keep saying that tire pressure is a comprimise... but max sidewall or greater is best, without knowing what other peoples criteria are. Sure for a hypermiler max PSI may get them an extra few mpgs, but others may not like the harsh ride, and other associated problems.
This was already established in other threads by me acknowledging the downfalls of higher tire pressure. However since his daughter didn't notice, she obviously didn't seem to care enough to tell daddy or whomever what she did. I have all the cars in my family inflated to sidewall and none of them have complained about it even when I prompted them the question. The unforseen benefit to harder tires besides fuel economy, handling and less likelihood of hydroplaning is that more people will actually complain about the terrible state our roads are in and maybe more of them will be improved. There is a particular section going from Highway 24 to 680 south that I really hate because there is a really high bump in the road and it's in the two far right hand lanes (you'll hit the bump if you don't change lanes).

I mean to have someone question me about the fact that I found my tires to wear perfectly evenly when inflated to sidewall opposed to down the sides like they used to when I had them inflated to the door jam recommendation.
I think you mean your parents/sisters tires... and it is perfectly reasonable for people to ask for evidence, you could have posted pics and given details about rotation, how many miles covered and fuel used... but I forgot that you don't own a car so you can't do that.
Whether I own a car or not, I'm actually still capable of doing that.

Tell you what, if we can get a consensus of anandtech garage that I'm right and know what I'm talking about based solely upon the pictures I provide and the tire pressures that go along with them, then I'll do it. I'll go find cars that have wear down the sides yet are inflated to the rating on the door jam and then find cars that are inflated to sidewall and show you how perfectly even or near perfectly even wear they have. My friend's Dad's pickup is a great example of this, rear tires are near bald in the middle and in the front the tires are really worn down on the sides and I believe he is following the door jam's tire pressure recommendation.

fleabag
10-28-2009, 05:13 AM

WARM AIR INTAKE?!?

Do you even know what a Wai is? No wai? You serial/cereal? You mean there are people out there who actually want the intake temperature of their car to be HOT and not cold? THATS CRAZY OMG WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THIS HELLO I ONLY TYPE IN CAPS OMG FACEBOOKMYSPACEIPHONEFREEIPODS.

fleabag
10-28-2009, 05:15 AM

Look up SNDS.

Look up VOID warranty.

There are consequences to everything, who cares!?! You know what the consequence is to running your tires at what the door jam suggests? WORSE MILEAGE AND UNEVEN TIRE WEAR ESPECIALLY IF YOU DO HIGHSPEED CORNERING, IMAGINE THAT! dur!

fleabag
10-28-2009, 05:30 AM
I think the greatest irony (though maybe it isn't) is that never have I had so many people disagree with my on car philosophy as I've had on a NON CAR FORUM. Just because it's called "The garage" doesn't make Anandtech a car forum. Go to any other forum that is actually revolves around cars and you'll find quite a few of like minded individuals who say what I've been saying all along. Y'alls ignorance is not astounding but it does explain why statements I've made seem so "out there". I think I'm going to trust people on an actual car forum far more than I'm going to trust people on a computer forum which has a subforum dedicated to all things related to cars.

PlasmaBomb
10-28-2009, 07:09 AM

Look up SNDS.

Look up VOID warranty.

There are consequences to everything, who cares!?! You know what the consequence is to running your tires at what the door jam suggests? WORSE MILEAGE AND UNEVEN TIRE WEAR ESPECIALLY IF YOU DO HIGHSPEED CORNERING, IMAGINE THAT! dur!

Yet you have still to provide proof other than your own anecdote that running at door jam psi causes uneven wear, and we have already established you don't even own a car yet...

boomerang
10-28-2009, 07:13 AM
When you get old enough to get your driver's license, there's a chance you'll have a better understanding about cars. In the meantime, you should think about a way to deal with your unhealthy obsession with tires. It's not good to have any one single thing dominate your thoughts to such a great degree.

Four posts in a row is a cry for help. Get that help.

BTW, speaking for myself, I don't even read your posts. I mean, just how much drivel can one read about tires? "The Tire Manifesto", by fleabag. Hardly a best seller.

Bignate603
10-28-2009, 08:09 AM

What college have you been going to? Must be skipping class and smoking dope it's no wonder you're not aware of writing out long passages..[/quote]

I wrote very long passages, 20 page reports were pretty common. However, I can only remember 1 or 2 courses that did essay tests in class and those were general ed classes that were a complete joke.

Just FYI, I graduated summa cum laude with my degree in mechanical engineering.

I think the greatest irony (though maybe it isn't) is that never have I had so many people disagree with my on car philosophy as I've had on a NON CAR FORUM. Just because it's called "The garage" doesn't make Anandtech a car forum. Go to any other forum that is actually revolves around cars and you'll find quite a few of like minded individuals who say what I've been saying all along. Y'alls ignorance is not astounding but it does explain why statements I've made seem so "out there". I think I'm going to trust people on an actual car forum far more than I'm going to trust people on a computer forum which has a subforum dedicated to all things related to cars.

And there are forums out there on the web that talk about ghosts, aliens, denial of the holocaust, and about any crazy thing you want. Whatever your delusion is you can find a group of nutjobs on the internet that will agree with you.

Toastedlightly
10-28-2009, 08:22 AM

Yeah! My personal experience is that the pullout method works! Everybody should use it! This is an easy way to save money!

*I don't actually condone this, but this is what you are preaching!

LTC8K6
10-28-2009, 09:12 AM
When he has to pay for the tires, he'll inflate them according to the label on the car...

Right now, he pays for nothing and has no idea what it costs to own a car and maintain it.

PlasmaBomb
10-28-2009, 09:46 AM
When you get old enough to get your driver's license, there's a chance you'll have a better understanding about cars. In the meantime, you should think about a way to deal with your unhealthy obsession with tires. It's not good to have any one single thing dominate your thoughts to such a great degree.

Four posts in a row is a cry for help. Get that help.

BTW, speaking for myself, I don't even read your posts. I mean, just how much drivel can one read about tires? "The Tire Manifesto", by fleabag. Hardly a best seller.

Shhhh... I am awful at doing that...

pray4mojo
11-03-2009, 07:45 PM

quoted for evidence. fleabag is 15.

post your "findings" evidence on an automobile forum and a large one as well. here's a few:

www.nasioc.com/forums
www.bimmerforums.com/forum

come back to us and let us know what they say.

Jodell88
11-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Epic thread is epic! OMG!!! :D