PDA

View Full Version : Black & Decker power tools

pontifex
05-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Are Black & Decker power tools any good?

adairusmc
05-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Not particularly.

pontifex
05-02-2007, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by: adairusmc
Not particularly.

why?

yankeesfan
05-02-2007, 09:14 PM
They're low grade, but they can get the job done in most cases.

pontifex
05-02-2007, 09:16 PM
I was looking at a 12 volt wireless drill/screwdriver today at a hardware store. they wanted $52.99 for it. Came with a hard case, battery, and screw bits.

Price was good for me, but I thought I'd better check around and see what else I can get.

wasn't exactly what i wanted though. i want one that you can adjust to be straight or hold like a pistol, but they only had ones that did screwdriver only and the salesperson said they were too low power for drilling anyway.

does anyone make a product like that?

I think i saw a dewalt one on a website, but don't remember the specs. i had asked about those types of devices in another thread awhile back but ended up not looking into further.

i really don't have much need for one atm, but they are handy when you do need one and i may need one more down the road.

Soapy Bones
05-02-2007, 09:18 PM
it all depends upon what you are going to use them for. Some things they are fine for, like basic home use and some things they are just not going to get it done for you. My dad has used them in several different applications and they have not really had any problems. They die after a year or two but he uses them pretty hard. They are cheap enough that he just goes out and buys a new one when it does die and in his mind that is better than buying expensive tools to start with.

doze
05-02-2007, 09:23 PM
The Black and Decker brand is standard grade power tools for normal household use and usually decent stuff. The Black and Decker company owns several other tool companies like Dewalt (contractor grade) Porter Cable, Delta etc...

adairusmc
05-02-2007, 09:23 PM
They are just cheap. They aren't terrible, and for light stuff they get the job done. I would much rather own a craftsman for a low end drill though.

I own an 18v dewalt XRP (made by black and decker, but much different grade of tool.) for my personal drill though. I have dropped my work drill off of a 90ft grain elevator and still works (one battery clip is broke, and a big gouge out of the rubber handgrip), and has enough torque to snap a 1/2 drill bit if you get it caught on something bad. Dewalt XRP drills can get spendy though. :D

Kaido
05-02-2007, 09:24 PM
If you want a cordless drill, get a Dewalt. My small one came with 2 batteries, a charger, a case, and a fairly powerful cordless drill. I have a corded B&D and it's pretty good. Their smaller tools are kinda crappy. I have one of those Handy Saws, pretty junky. I also have an Auto Clamp, it's just "meh". Read the Amazon reviews before you buy any of their tools.

pontifex
05-02-2007, 09:26 PM
well, it doesn't appear that anyone makes what i'm specifically lookig for, at least not that i can see. guess i'd have to get 2 different tools or just try to make do with one.

mugs
05-02-2007, 09:27 PM
They're not great - they're homeowner grade. I wouldn't get a 12v B&D drill though. DeWalt is too expensive unless you're using it daily. I have a corded DeWalt ($60) and a cordless Craftsman 19.2v ($100). Both have served me very well. I use the corded for drilling and the cordless for driving screws.

pontifex
05-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Text (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000051WQV/ref=pd_luc_mri/002-3079200-0747207?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance)

think I could drill with that too? I don't really know anything about power tools.

Parrotheader
05-02-2007, 10:08 PM
If you don't know anything about power tools that means you don't have a need to use them much. Therefore Black and Decker stuff will work just fine. It's usually very solid stuff, just not the heavy-duty contractor/professional grade products (which are expensive and which it sounds like you clearly don't need.) Ryobi stuff is the same way - and I love the 18v Ryobi One Plus series stuff. Just got a chainsaw attachment last weekend. :)

I don't know of any decent cordless drills that pivot. Those are usually limited to screwdriver functionality because the smaller electric motor required to fit in those units usually isn't powerful enough for drilling duty.

doze
05-02-2007, 10:18 PM
What do you need the tool(s) for?

xgsound
05-02-2007, 10:42 PM
If all you're looking for is a cordless screwdriver that can do some drilling, the B&D Model PD700G (1/4 chuck 6V) is $30 at Home Depot. They have a $19 model too. It is straight and bends to pistol grip. I have no idea how good it is.

For any kind of real work at a cheap price, look into the Ryobi 18V combos while you're at home depot. They have combos that start at $99 for a drill (1/2 chuck 18V) , saw, flashlight, 2 batteries, charger, and tool bag. Replacement batteries are $38 for two batteries. Some cordless tools use $90 batteries. These are much better the B&D, but not as good as the older DeWalt. Current consumer DeWalt is not the same as older DeWalt either.

Jim

vital
05-02-2007, 10:54 PM
since we're on the topic, what about Panasonic power tools?

IronWing
05-02-2007, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by: vital

My only experience was with a Panasonic belt sander. Absolutely top notch.

bctbct
05-02-2007, 11:11 PM

I have never used one but I knw a company at work that swore by them. I saw amazon had a $50 gift card deal on them yesterday if you are looking for one.

vital
05-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by: bctbct

I have never used one but I knw a company at work that swore by them. I saw amazon had a $50 gift card deal on them yesterday if you are looking for one.

I want one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-EY6225C-3-6-Volt-Ni-Cad-Cordless/dp/B000053F1C/ref=sr_1_25/002-7617258-3720031?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1178165657&sr=8-25) for home/computer use.

IHateMyJob2004
05-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Am I the only one hee that love's their Fein cordless drill?

http://www.feinus.com/p/newcordless/handymastermain.htm

imported_Greenman
05-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by: pontifex
Text (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000051WQV/ref=pd_luc_mri/002-3079200-0747207?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance)

think I could drill with that too? I don't really know anything about power tools.

Nope.

Edit: I'm going to guess you want a drill/driver, not just a cordless drill. A drill is just that, squeeze the trigger and it goes round and round. A drill driver will have two or three speed ranges, and a clutch.
B&D is fine for occasional use, if you have a lot to do get a dewalt. I have three or four dewalt drill/drivers and one impact driver, never had a problem with any of them. The impact driver is a joy for running in screws, small, light, and it will twist in 3/8" lags without much trouble.

pontifex
05-03-2007, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by: bctbct

I want one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-EY6225C-3-6-Volt-Ni-Cad-Cordless/dp/B000053F1C/ref=sr_1_25/002-7617258-3720031?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1178165657&sr=8-25) for home/computer use.

hmm...its only 3.6 volt. is that powerful enough for drilling? theonly reason i ask is because the salesperson at the hardware store said it wouldn't be powerful enough.

to the question what do i need it for, nothing at the moment. It's just something i'd like to have because over the years i've bought furniture and other things that need to be put together that would have been a lot easier and faster with a power tool. I'm sure it would come in handy in the future as well.

maybe i'll just buy a regular drill/driver and then get one of those adjustable screwdrivers. sounds like the B&D stuff would be ok for what i need to use it for.

alkemyst
05-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Too many homeowners spend way more than they need for tootls.

I like Craftsman and DeWalt. If I was a pro, I'd get a pro tool. I use my tools at least 1 weekend a month. At least one week during the year I am probably using all the power tools I have.

If you are just looking to assemble pre-built furniture and still want a drill, find a drill set that includes a free cordless screwdriver. You can usally find a Sears set with drill, flashlight, two batteries, a set of bits, bag and cordless screwdriver for under $100.

kami333
05-03-2007, 11:41 AM
What kind of drilling are you using it for? Metal? Masonary/brick? Drywall/wood?

I have one of the 3.6V Black and Decker cordless screwdrivers and I use it a lot, around the house, on my car, on the computer. Works very well for putting together furniture and for light drilling like holes for hooks and stuff in drywall and brick. Although once I did use it to put up a section of drywall when the drill died, kind of slow but it worked. Personally, I use it a lot more than the drill, for stuff like furniture it's a lot better since it doesn't spin as fast so you are less likely to mess up. I don't even break out the drill until I've tried it with the cordless screwdriver.

amdskip
05-03-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm buying a house that needs lots of TLC projects completed and I went all out on a Dewalt 18v drill for $167. I've used it twice now and it's just an awesome tool.

mugs
05-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Too many homeowners spend way more than they need for tootls.

I like Craftsman and DeWalt. If I was a pro, I'd get a pro tool. I use my tools at least 1 weekend a month. At least one week during the year I am probably using all the power tools I have.

This is very true. I laugh at people who spend $200+ on a drill that they use a few times a year.

If you are just looking to assemble pre-built furniture and still want a drill, find a drill set that includes a free cordless screwdriver. You can usally find a Sears set with drill, flashlight, two batteries, a set of bits, bag and cordless screwdriver for under $100.

I haven't found a cordless screwdriver that I like. Most have one or two speeds and don't have a variable speed trigger (unless they're just not advertising it on the box). I think I found a DeWalt that had a variable speed trigger for ~$100, but that's not worth it. I have no problem using my drill, it's my wife who complains that it's too heavy.

Kaido
05-03-2007, 12:08 PM

That's the one I have! I originally bought it for building speakers because of the great flip-action hinge in the middle. I typically use it at least once a week just for random stuff around the house. It's fantastic. It won't handle the bigger drill bits, but you'd have to spend some serious money on an 18V system if you wanted cordless power. If you want to do drilling with big bits, you should get a corded drill. That particular DeWalt is awesome though, I keep a battery on the charger at all times and have found it incredibly useful for all sorts of things.

marleymarl
05-03-2007, 12:21 PM
I had a 12v cordless b&d and it sucked. It stripped screws while I was trying to screen in my porch. I went and purchased this
drill (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1208311159.1178212496@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceaddkleleelicgelceffdfgidgkg.0&MID=9876) and its awesome. I got it for 59.99. Comes with 2 batteries, flash light and charger. I also picked this up chainsaw (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1911202554.1178212743@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccecaddkleleidecgelceffdfgidgnj.0&MID=9876).
since it uses the same battery/charger. Screws not being stripped anymore and I've taken down 4 pretty decently sized trees so far.

kami333
05-03-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by: marleymarl
I had a 12v cordless b&d and it sucked. It stripped screws while I was trying to screen in my porch. I went and purchased this
drill (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1208311159.1178212496@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceaddkleleelicgelceffdfgidgkg.0&MID=9876) and its awesome. I got it for 59.99. Comes with 2 batteries, flash light and charger. I also picked this up chainsaw (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1911202554.1178212743@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccecaddkleleidecgelceffdfgidgnj.0&MID=9876).
since it uses the same battery/charger. Screws not being stripped anymore and I've taken down 4 pretty decently sized trees so far.

How is the drill responsible for stripping screws? Seems more like a problem with the bit.

huberm
05-03-2007, 12:54 PM
at work we have makita drills & drivers. Working on a runway proves extremely rugged - they get thrown, dropped, and abused. We have never had one quit working.

I have a makita drill at home I paid about $55 for, I would highly recommend checking them out before getting a B&D

UpGrD
05-03-2007, 01:42 PM
I have a bunch of the 18v Firestorm tools. Not for contractors but have served me very well. I use them all the time. Even the weed trimmer works great. What is realy nice is that most the tools come with 2 batteries. I must have at least 10-15
batteries laying arround. Most unused. For the money I think they are great. Been using most of the tools going on 2 years.....

hanoverphist
05-03-2007, 01:49 PM

straight from that link...

DeWalt DW920K-2 Heavy-Duty 7.2-Volt Ni-Cad Cordless Screwdriver

the "screwdriver" is the key to your question. i doubt it has the torque or the RPMs to drill with.

i still use my mikita 9v cordless drill that ive had for about a decade. still have the original batteries, and can still drill for about 25 min straight. pretty good torque, but will still get hung up on hard woods or knots. if i had to go get a new one, it would be a dewalt.

pontifex
05-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by: kami333

Originally posted by: marleymarl

How is the drill responsible for stripping screws? Seems more like a problem with the bit.

drill link only takes me to home depot's home page...got a direct on or can you post the name and model?

i doubt i'll do much drilling, but like i said, i may down the road. i just thought it would be nice to have it all now instead of buying a separate one later on.

pontifex
05-03-2007, 04:59 PM
saw an insert for home depot today with the 3 piece ryobi set. sounds like a good deal. $99

might check online to see if it any cheaper.

well, hell - 5 piece set (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0768878111.1178230424@@@@&BV_EngineID=cceeaddklelefljcgelceffdfgidgll.0&MID=9876). hopefully the link works, but if not, its a ryobi 5 piece set for $159.99

might as well get that one and be pretty much done with tools, lol

DrPizza
05-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by: yankeesfan
They're low grade, but they can get the job done in most cases.

But, they can only do that job a few times before they're dead.
My history:
black and decker drill: worn out within 3 years
black and decker belt sander: the only one I was unhappy with the quality of right out of the box. It sucked. It died within 2 years.
black and decker palm sander: dead in a couple years
black and decker circular saw: dead (blade was wobbling)

I saw a trend. Then again, I probably do more work on/around the house than the average homeowner.

AmigaMan
05-03-2007, 07:34 PM
for the average ATOT homeowner, a B&D is fine. Unless you're planning on doing a lot of building and drilling, it'll serve you well. I bought my 14.4v B&D Firestorm cordless drill when I bought my my house 5 years ago. Still works like a charm. About the most trying thing I've done with it is build a deck. It has two batteries which came in handy.

Compton
05-04-2007, 03:54 AM
If you want a cheap drill, instead of B&D I would go to Harbor Freight and buy the cheapest crap they have.

OrganizedChaos
05-04-2007, 10:11 AM
my 4.5'' B&D angle grinder died 2 days ago. autopsy showed a communicator failure. 3 of the little pads/contacts just flew out. there was maybe 15 hours on the grinder at the most.