PDA

View Full Version : When I flush the toilet I can hear the bathrub drain gurgle WTF?

Locut0s
08-30-2009, 02:59 PM
This just started recently. When I flush the toilet I can hear a loud gurgling sound from the bathtub drain. I know the plumbing is all one system but it's still not supposed to do this.

KLin
08-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Do you have a septic tank or are you part of a city sewer system?

Oceandevi
08-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Start pissing in the bathtub. It will equalize the pressures.

Fayd
08-30-2009, 03:02 PM
run some water down the bathtub?

sounds like the water in the Ptrap on your bathtub has since evaporated.

Locut0s
08-30-2009, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by: KLin

City sewer system.

Locut0s
Originally posted by: Fayd

I've had lots of showers and baths since I started hearing this.

Fayd
Originally posted by: Locut0s
Originally posted by: KLin

City sewer system.

if you havent used your bathtub in a little while, just take my advice.

Fayd
08-30-2009, 03:05 PM

oh. then i dont know.

i dont see how you would hear gurgling out of the drain if there WERE water in the Ptrap though, despite whatever other problems might be in the line.

Number1
08-30-2009, 03:06 PM
When was the last time you used the bathtub?

Locut0s
08-30-2009, 03:07 PM

oh. then i dont know.

i dont see how you would hear gurgling out of the drain if there WERE water in the Ptrap though, despite whatever other problems might be in the line.

Then it's settled, I have demons in my plumbing.

*goes and gets his exorcism kit*

Locut0s
08-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by: Number1

Last night.

Number1
08-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Poor some water down you bathtub drain then flush the toilet. Report back here

Adul
08-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Make sure nothing is blocking the vent pipe that goes to the roof of the house. If that is plugged up, suction from flushing the toilet will pull air through the bathtub drain.

IronWing
08-30-2009, 03:32 PM
You have lupus. Or a tumor. Either way, it's going to cost a bundle to fix and involve running a snake up your sewer line.

Farang
08-30-2009, 03:51 PM

Last night.

was it a bubble bath?

Robsasman
08-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by: Adul
Make sure nothing is blocking the vent pipe that goes to the roof of the house. If that is plugged up, suction from flushing the toilet will pull air through the bathtub drain.

Yeah this is what I was thinking too. It's not venting right.

xavier es
08-30-2009, 04:04 PM
plugged vent caused all sorts of noise in my plumbing system, wasps had built a larger nest in my vent pipe

SparkyJJO
08-30-2009, 04:06 PM

This.

shortylickens
08-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Just out of curiosity, has Anthony Perkins been hanging around your house?

thescreensavers
08-30-2009, 04:09 PM
How about if someone upstairs in my house has a bubble bath, the bubbles appear in the toilet a floor below it lol

sandorski
08-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Fill tub with water, Drain, flush toilet, report back.

I'm no Plumber and have no idea what that might do, report back because I'm curious.

runzwithsizorz
08-30-2009, 04:22 PM

Most likely, I had to snake a dead squirrel out of my vent. I've been told this happens quite a lot. Have since covered them with heavy gauge screens.

Rastus
08-30-2009, 04:29 PM
I had a house with root problems in the sewer line. Every three years or so, drains and toilets would start slowing down and would do that.

GeekDrew
08-30-2009, 06:14 PM
I have the opposite problem -- when I take a shower, the toilet starts gurgling. WTF?

x-alki
08-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by: GeekDrew
I have the opposite problem -- when I take a shower, the toilet starts gurgling. WTF?

Stop peeing in the shower. The toilet knows what you are doing.

GeekDrew
08-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by: ekrub

hahahaha. :disgust:

Modelworks
08-30-2009, 07:25 PM

LOL

There is a cartoon telling people to pee in the shower to conserve water. If you pee in the shower you can save xx amount of flushes each year !

Locut0s
08-31-2009, 01:00 AM

Huh would never have thought of that. Thanks! I'll try to check this out.

Locut0s
08-31-2009, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by: Modelworks

LOL

There is a cartoon telling people to pee in the shower to conserve water. If you pee in the shower you can save xx amount of flushes each year !

Really? I mean hygienically there's nothing wrong with doing so really. But still. Are you talking about a water conservation message or a joke in a cartoon.

iGas
08-31-2009, 01:33 AM
When I flush the toilet I can hear a loud gurgling sound from the bathtub drain.
It could be that the p-trap is dry. It also can be from a blocked vent, poor wet venting, too shallow p-trap, or the drainage grade is too steep, that causes suction to empty the trap when flush.

It could also be that a house or apartment that was originally plumbed, then additional drainage load or cloth washer was added with out proper provision hence the drained p-trap/gurgling noise/sewer gas.

How about if someone upstairs in my house has a bubble bath, the bubbles appear in the toilet a floor below it lol
It suggests that the building have poor plumbing that doesn't have adequate hydrolic jump distance from the stack, and it also means that there is a blockage in the building drain just below the stack & within the hydrolic jump zone.

oiprocs
08-31-2009, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by: Oceandevi
Start pissing in the bathtub. It will equalize the pressures.

Hahahahahahah FUcking super EPIC win

Number1
08-31-2009, 08:08 AM

Fool the toilet, have a bath in it and let see if the shower gurgles.

Report back here

Paperdoc
08-31-2009, 04:04 PM

This. Also possible the gurgling you hear is air pushing out of the drain up through the trap in the shower, not being sucked down. That can happen two ways. One is the plugged vent. The other is plugged sewer line from roots, etc. - a problem I see about once a year at home. First symptom is gurgling sounds in traps when a toilet is flushed. Later the basement toilet starts bubbling when the top-floor toilet is flushed. If I don't unplug soon, it gets real bad when any flush causes water to back up into the basement shower stall. If you don't have big trees or something that might cause root problems in the main drain line, concentrate on the vent stack first.

Engineer
08-31-2009, 04:37 PM

This.

Make sure some damn bird didn't build a nest on the vent line at the top of your house! :P

CPA
08-31-2009, 04:42 PM

hahahaha. :disgust:

cmon admit it, that was pretty funny.

Rumpltzer
08-31-2009, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by: Farang

Last night.

was it a bubble bath?
Pics?