PDA

View Full Version : excessive fines on a parking ticket? isn't there a law against unreasonable punishment?

BlahBlahYouToo
07-20-2009, 01:04 PM
i was double parked for less than 2 minutes. cop got me, fair enough. no complaint here.

fine is $115. wtf... i've gotten speeding tickets that cost less than this.

MotF Bane
07-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Shouldn't have double parked. Nothing excessive about your punishment.

spidey07
07-20-2009, 01:05 PM
There is no law against unreasonable punishment. Do the crime, you pay the fine.

BlahBlahYouToo
07-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by: MotF Bane

really? $115 for double parking isn't excessive?

MotF Bane
07-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by: BlahBlahYouToo

No.

JS80
07-20-2009, 01:10 PM
Two words: BUDGET DEFICIT

keird
Parking is a privilege, too. Do you drive straddling both lanes on a highway?

Edit: $115. Assuming a $20/hour job, it's worth it for me to see you labor for about 6 hours as penance for being such a dickscarf.

SonnyDaze
i was double parked for less than 2 minutes. cop got me, fair enough. no complaint here.

And?

Just pay the fine and don't double park anymore.

BlahBlahYouToo
Originally posted by: keird

only on tuesdays.

AstroManLuca
07-20-2009, 01:12 PM
$115 sounds excessive to me but I doubt there's anything at all you can do about it. I'm sure there's a statute outlining specific (higher) fees for double parking vs other parking offenses.

HN
07-20-2009, 01:12 PM

better than having your car keyed up or worse by the person you blocked.

xSauronx
07-20-2009, 01:18 PM
$115 is a good chunk of change, but i wouldnt call it excessive. maybe you wont double park anymore? and where the hell have you had cheaper speeding tickets, all my cost me $150 or so by the time the ticket and court costs were paid

keird
07-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Did you know that there are over 46,000 parking spaces in the Central Business Improvement District?! (http://www.downtownmemphis.com/downtownmemphis/ccc_parking.asp#)

Liet
07-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Don't worry Blah, I'm with you. It's excessive. Are you in NYC like me?

I'm very much against Bloomberg trying to get revenue by creating and raising vice taxes and inconsequential traffic fines. Fuck that revenue generating bullshit. Manage your fucking budget better and you wouldn't have to raise cigarettes to $11 a pack.

BlahBlahYouToo
07-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by: Liet
Don't worry Blah, I'm with you. It's excessive. Are you in NYC like me?

I'm very much against Bloomberg trying to get revenue by creating and raising vice taxes and inconsequential traffic fines. Fuck that revenue generating bullshit. Manage your fucking budget better and you wouldn't have to raise cigarettes to $11 a pack.

actually yes, it was in NYC.

Titan
07-20-2009, 01:26 PM
I had a friend get nailed for over 300 bucks for being parked in a handicapped spot in a sh*t nothing town in NH. Be glad you didn't do that!

chorb
07-20-2009, 01:26 PM

Edit: $115. Assuming a $20/hour job, it's worth it for me to see you labor for about 6 hours as penance for being such a dickscarf.

dickscarf, haha. I like your use of nonsensical offensive words.

yhelothar
07-20-2009, 01:27 PM
i got nailed $380 for being in a 2hr parking too long. towing costs are a bitch and a half.
i got nailed $520 by a redlight camera for miscalculating a yellow light by a split second on a freeway offramp intersection on an empty street in the middle of the night for a light that decided to randomly turn red when there was no cars there at all.

assuming a $10/hr job, which I do, it was two months of part time labor as a broke college student.

Baked
07-20-2009, 01:33 PM
I had my car towed by parking at a no parking during rush hour zone. Got the car the next day. Had to pay for the fine, the tow, and the storage fee. Came out to around $300.

Here's a list of fines (http://www.sfmta.com/cms/penf/pkfines.htm) for the city of San Francisco.

BlahBlahYouToo
07-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by: astroidea
i got nailed $380 for being in a 2hr parking too long. towing costs are a bitch and a half.
i got nailed $520 by a redlight camera for miscalculating a yellow light by a split second on a freeway offramp intersection on an empty street in the middle of the night for a light that decided to randomly turn red when there was no cars there at all.

assuming a $10/hr job, which I do, it was two months of part time labor as a broke college student.

thanks, i feel a lot better with my fine now.
;)

and those fines do suck a big one.
:|

BlahBlahYouToo
07-20-2009, 01:38 PM

don't worry about me, i make much more than $20/hr.

Legendary
07-20-2009, 01:39 PM
double parkers can fuck traffic for miles in the city, so you deserved it

Kadarin
07-20-2009, 01:40 PM
People who double park can inconvenience others by blocking the road. If you inconvenience me, I will have no sympathy for your plight.

daniel1113
07-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by: spidey07
There is no law against unreasonable punishment. Do the crime, you pay the fine.

There most certainly is, at least at the federal level (8th amendment). Whether or not it applies to individual states has not been determined, though.

KeithTalent
07-20-2009, 01:57 PM

Yep, this. I've never understood people bitching about parking tickets when they are very clearly breaking the law. People that double park should be beaten with a tire iron.

KT

dman
07-20-2009, 01:58 PM
IMO it's excessive, but if history has taught us anything, you won't get much sympathy from the perfect drivers that populate ATOT. On that note, if the fine was less, in NYC, you'd have even less places to illegally double park. :)

isekii
isn't $115 about the average rate for NYC ?

mugs
$115 is excessive for a parking ticket, i.e. expired meter, parking in no parking zone, etc. I don't think it's excessive for double parking.

daniel1113
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

Yep, this. I've never understood people bitching about parking tickets when they are very clearly breaking the law. People that double park should be beaten with a tire iron.

KT

There is a difference between complaining about being punishment in general and complaining about a specific punishment. I don't recall the OP saying that he shouldn't receive a ticket or a fine. He asked if $115 was excessive. Reading comprehension ftw!

keird
07-20-2009, 02:00 PM

Doing what, scarfing dick?

ViviTheMage
07-20-2009, 02:01 PM
hopefully you learned from this mistake.

KeithTalent
07-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by: daniel1113
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

KT

There is a difference between complaining about being punishment in general and complaining about a specific punishment. I don't recall the OP saying that he shouldn't receive a ticket or a fine. He asked if $115 was excessive. Reading comprehension ftw!

Lol, reading comprehension in a BlahBlahYouToo thread...too funny.

Tire iron FTW!

KT

Itchrelief
07-20-2009, 02:04 PM

Then why the rant? Isn't the point of this last post to state "I make so much that it doesn't bother me"?

ivan2
07-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by: isekii
isn't $115 about the average rate for NYC ?

more like a starting rate.

BlahBlahYouToo
07-20-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by: Itchrelief

Then why the rant? Isn't the point of this last post to state "I make so much that it doesn't bother me"?

:roll:
because i make money doesn't mean i like flushing it down the toilet.
also, the fine is excessive IMO, and in the opinion of many.

AstroManLuca
07-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by: astroidea

Ouch, that sucks.

Glad I live in a state whose supreme court decided to make red light cameras illegal.

jamesave
07-20-2009, 02:50 PM
simple economics. if it's too cheap, everyone will do it and just pay the fine.

Now that you know that it's expensive, would you dare to double park again?

nerp
07-20-2009, 03:37 PM

fine is $115. wtf... i've gotten speeding tickets that cost less than this.

Hi.

World doesn't revolve around you.

axelfox
07-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by: JS80

DENTAL PLAN!

waggy
07-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by: mugs
$115 is excessive for a parking ticket, i.e. expired meter, parking in no parking zone, etc. I don't think it's excessive for double parking.

i agree. if it was a parking ticket because you were 5 minutes late for the eter yeah its nuts.

but double parking? nope i think its fair.

zerocool84
07-20-2009, 04:12 PM
HAHAHAHAHA doing something illegal and then getting mad that you got a ticket for it. You sir are a comedian.

Atomic Playboy
07-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by: spidey07

I'm pretty sure the eighth amendment disagrees with you. "Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted." So you're wrong; there are laws against unreasonable punishment, and they're contained within the Bill of Rights, which makes them just about the most untouchable laws in the country.

Now, as far as the OP is concerned, I don't think that's an unreasonable fine on a Constitutional level, so I have no problem with it; perhaps next time you won't double park. I just hate it when wingnuts spew out garbage like "there is no law against unreasonable punishment" which is a complete crock of shit.

rudder
07-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Tickets in Nashville are $11 for an expired meter. Sometimes it is cheaper to get the ticket than to pay for a space in a lot.

mugs
07-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by: axelfox

DENTAL PLAN!

Lisa needs braces

Homerboy
07-20-2009, 04:26 PM
If the fine wasn't "excessive" then people would do it knowing they may have to pay a nominal fine. The fine is supposed to be the DETERRENT of doing it again. So they make it hurt.

Homerboy
07-20-2009, 04:26 PM

DENTAL PLAN!

Lisa needs braces

awesome

GagHalfrunt
07-20-2009, 04:29 PM
That's a bit on the high side for a parking ticket, but it's not close to being unreasonable. Grow a brain and don't double park and you won't have to worry about it. I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for your situation. Many tickets can be picked up by accident where you lose track of time and don't feed the meter or you drift a little over the speed limit. But double parking is intentional. You knew the law and you decided that you were above it. You got what you deserved, so quit whining.

DaWhim
07-20-2009, 04:54 PM
you dont drive

Exterous
07-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by: jamesave
Now that you know that it's expensive, would you dare to double park again?

If he says yes maybe its not expensive enough.....

MetalMat
07-20-2009, 05:15 PM
The ticket itself is probabably only 30 bucks, the rest are tacked on taxes and court costs.

AstroManLuca
07-20-2009, 05:22 PM

DENTAL PLAN!

Lisa needs braces

DENTAL PLAN!