PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way to cut roots from neighbors trees?

JEDI
08-26-2012, 06:04 PM
in my backyard are 3 rows of roots from my neighbors trees running about 20' in length.

where it enters my yard the roots are exposed.
this year little saplings are popping up all over my backyard. the mower takes care of them, but still...

i was thinking circular saw and slice. the problem is that circular saws have a 7" blade, of which only 1/2 that length is exposed. so basically i can only slice 3.5" deep.
i guess i can cut a 'V', take a small chunk of the root out then slice again at the deepest part of the V?

maybe use a saw zall/reciprical saw? but i need to dig out one side of the root so that the blade doesnt get bent by dirt.

Other easy/practical (ie: not nuke from above or burn the tree down) ways of severing the roots in my backyard?

Rastus
08-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Ditch witch along the fenceline.

Nintendesert
08-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Ditch witch will do it.

The Boston Dangler
08-26-2012, 06:11 PM
summon the ditch witch

mmntech
08-26-2012, 06:28 PM
If you don't want to rent heavy metal, a shovel and a sharp axe will do the trick. Now if you could get your hands on some C4...

JEDI
08-26-2012, 06:32 PM
If you don't want to rent heavy metal, a shovel and a sharp axe will do the trick. Now if you could get your hands on some C4...

yeah, dont want to rent a trencher. seems overkill.

shovel + reciprical saw sounds easier than an axe

HeXen
08-26-2012, 06:37 PM
well...there are tree poisons out there, just sayn

Rastus
08-26-2012, 06:39 PM

That's not easy. You would be suprised at the speed they grow back too, so you would have to do it two or three times per year.

Ditch witch the fence line. Pull surface roots out with a pickup truck, chain, lots of beer and a camera. Then say something like "Hey Bubba, watch this" when you pull the roots and post the video here.

slag
08-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Stump grinder. They are usually large circular metal wheels with flails attached to the edges. Will dig a path up to a foot or so deep and are relatively cheap to rent for a few hours up to a day.

CZroe
08-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Reciprocating or rotary saw.

Rumpltzer
08-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Dig and then thermite. It's easy, it's fun, it's sparkley, and it's quick.

Recoupe parking ticket payments to the city of LA by taking their meter heads!

JEDI
08-26-2012, 07:16 PM
That's not easy. You would be suprised at the speed they grow back too, so you would have to do it two or three times per year.

Ditch witch the fence line. Pull surface roots out with a pickup truck, chain, lots of beer and a camera. Then say something like "Hey Bubba, watch this" when you pull the roots and post the video here.
what? what do you mean cut 2-3x per year?
how is using a ditch witch any different then if the roots grow back that quickly?

Reciprocating or rotary saw.
yup, and i think rotary/circular saw is the easiest. no need to dig w/shovel.

Drako
08-26-2012, 07:25 PM
What kind of trees are they?

heymrdj
08-26-2012, 07:26 PM

Don't forget when the chain breaks and the shackle flies forward and smashes the rear window :cool:

JEDI
08-26-2012, 07:28 PM
What kind of trees are they?

dont know. big trees.. taller than my 3story house.

oldsmoboat
08-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Pics of when the tree dies and falls on your house.

SparkyJJO
08-26-2012, 07:41 PM
dont know. big trees.. taller than my 3story house.

3 stories?

Evil 1%er :mad:

:P

OVerLoRDI
08-26-2012, 07:43 PM

Depending on the tree type, this could be a real concern. For a while willow trees were popular in northern California, but a few severe wind days and people discovered their shallow roots were a problem.

SparkyJJO
08-26-2012, 07:46 PM

Hmm... Cut off all the branches that are over the property line also. Make it off balance toward the neighbor's yard :D

JEDI
08-26-2012, 07:51 PM
3 stories?

2stories plus walk in basement.
dont know why its called a basement since its not underground.
from one side u walk in thru the garage. from the other is a door from my backyard.

MagnusTheBrewer
08-26-2012, 08:05 PM
A trench wench is $55 for 4 hours around here. I guarantee you'll spend more than 4 hours with shovel and saw.

JEDI
08-26-2012, 08:11 PM
A trench wench is $55 for 4 hours around here. I guarantee you'll spend more than 4 hours with shovel and saw.

hm...
http://www.homedepotrents.com/proTools/trencher.asp
digs up to 3feet deep.

how far down are gas and electric lines?

edit:
$75/4hrs here

http://rentalsunlimited.reachlocal.com/?scid=979251&kw=6522709

but i also need to rent a trailer since i dont know anyone that has a pickup truck

MagnusTheBrewer
08-26-2012, 08:21 PM
The one I listed only goes 13" deep which is plenty for tree roots. I've used a 36" one and it will definitely beat you up if you run one all day.

chusteczka
08-26-2012, 08:23 PM
This link shows the type tree shoot that I am used to seeing. They say it is from a cherry tree or other fruit tree.
http://gardening.stackexchange.com/questions/4972/is-there-a-long-term-solution-to-prevent-tree-shoots-from-coming-up-in-lawn

Here is a text description of the problem stating there is no real solution except for continued cutting. Herbicides may kill the tree and this is not desired if it is a fruit tree.
http://diagnostics.montana.edu/Plant/topics/WEEDS027.HTM

DrPizza
08-26-2012, 08:43 PM
A tree taller than your three story house... but you can't identify the tree?

I'm not sure what state you're in, but before you touch those roots, you might want to see what you're legally allowed to do. If your actions kill the tree, you could be liable.

http://realestate.findlaw.com/neighbors/conflicts-involving-trees-and-neighbors.html

If my neighbor's tree branches hang over my yard, can I trim them?

Yes. By law, you have the right to trim branches and limbs that extend past the property line. However, the law only allows tree trimming and tree cutting up to the property line. You may not go onto the neighbor's property or destroy the tree. If you do harm the tree, you could be found liable for up to three times the value of the tree. Most trees have a replacement value of between $500 and $2500. Some, that are considered ornamental or landmark trees, can have an astonishing value of between $20,000 and $60,000. So use extreme caution when tree trimming!

Just sayin'. Of course, it could be pretty funny around here when you start a thread next year, "my neighbor is suing me for $200,000 for 3 trees that I accidentally killed when I cut half their root system out."

DrPizza
08-26-2012, 08:45 PM
My neighbor dug up his yard, and in the process killed a tree that's just on my side of the property line. Am I entitled to compensation for the tree?

Yes. In this situation, the tree owner has the right to sue for damages . Anyone who engages in tree removal, tree cutting, or injury to the tree without the owner's permission is liable for compensating the tree owner. In many cases, the tree-owner has been compensated by up to three times the value of the tree.

Found this... seems even more relevant.

0roo0roo
08-26-2012, 08:50 PM
slate bar/reciprocal saw...

circular saw is well, super dangerous:P

JEDI
08-26-2012, 08:51 PM

i live in Va.

hm.. i'm allowed to cut the tree over my property line. but if it dies, i owe $??
WTF contradictory law is this?

JEDI
08-26-2012, 08:54 PM
slate bar/reciprocal saw...

circular saw is well, super dangerous:P

why would a circular saw be dangerous?!
http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00910871000

JEDI
08-26-2012, 08:55 PM
This link shows the type tree shoot that I am used to seeing. They say it is from a cherry tree or other fruit tree.
http://gardening.stackexchange.com/questions/4972/is-there-a-long-term-solution-to-prevent-tree-shoots-from-coming-up-in-lawn

Here is a text description of the problem stating there is no real solution except for continued cutting. Herbicides may kill the tree and this is not desired if it is a fruit tree.
http://diagnostics.montana.edu/Plant/topics/WEEDS027.HTM

thx..sigh.. so just keep wrenching off the shoots which appear :(

MagnusTheBrewer
08-26-2012, 08:56 PM
thx..sigh.. so just keep wrenching off the shoots which appear :(

Now you have the perfect excuse to get a riding mower. :biggrin:

Modelworks
08-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Nothing fancy required, just use an ax.

BoomerD
08-26-2012, 09:27 PM

That's how I'd do it. Sawzall with a long blade...dig the fucking roots out.

If you REALLY want to stop it...cut the roots about 12 inches into your property, drill some holes into the roots, pour brush killer or even concentrated Round-up into the holes. (IMO, brush killer works better) :biggrin:

Northern Lawn
08-26-2012, 09:49 PM
3 stories?

Maybe he lives in a rooming house.

I like the stump grinder Idea the best. I've cut roots and its still a pain to pull them out of the ground. A stump grinder will make short work of this project then you can wheel barrow away the crap, replace with topsoil and maybe some sod. If the roots are very big you could hurt the trees though.

chusteczka
08-26-2012, 09:54 PM
When a tree branch is cut from a tree, it is often sealed to prevent regrowth. The sealant can be a varnish or paint.

It may work to cut a hole, cut the root, and seal the live end of the root. Let the sealant dry, then cover up the hole.

DrPizza
08-26-2012, 10:36 PM
i live in Va.

hm.. i'm allowed to cut the tree over my property line. but if it dies, i owe $??
WTF contradictory law is this?

They're the kind that are needed when people can't be bothered to discuss problems with their neighbors. It's your neighbor's tree. If it's bothering you, then you and the neighbor need to work things out. In the absence of the ability to be neighborly, the laws spell out what you can do, and what liabilities come with that.

EagleKeeper
08-27-2012, 07:49 AM
The tree was there before you should up.

You have encroached into it's living space

JoeyP
08-27-2012, 08:12 AM
I've had very good luck with a sawzall and a mattock. You can get long blades that work very well.

WelshBloke
08-27-2012, 08:24 AM
... It's your neighbor's tree...

But it's his lawn.

Now me, I wouldn't give a shit, but some people are obsessive about their lawns.
If the neighbour can sue if he damages the tree on his(the ops) side of the property line can the OP sue for getting his lawn fixed?

silverpig
08-27-2012, 08:26 AM
So you are going to end up having to re-do your lawn. I've done this tons of times (I used to work on the grounds crew at a golf course), and you can do it with an axe and a shovel. It'll be a full day's work, and you'll need a chain and a pickup truck to yank them out once you've cut them. The thing is, you'll rip up most of your lawn doing it, and there'll be big gouges in the ground.

Once you tear your lawn up, you'll probably want to dig out the grass in a nice square, churn it over a few times, get it nice and level, add a bit of sand and fertilizer, and then sod over it.

EagleKeeper
08-27-2012, 09:07 AM
Unless you need a level lawn; dump a few cubic yards of decent soil over the roots that are exposed and reseed.

Better for the tree and safer.

Dead roots will eventually decay and collapse the lawn; so you will need to do what Silver Pig recommended sooner or later.

silverpig
08-27-2012, 09:33 AM
Unless you need a level lawn; dump a few cubic yards of decent soil over the roots that are exposed and reseed.

Better for the tree and safer.

Dead roots will eventually decay and collapse the lawn; so you will need to do what Silver Pig recommended sooner or later.

The saplings will still pop up through the lawn though.

slayernine
08-27-2012, 09:37 AM
An shovel and axe would be both simple and well suited to the task.

EagleKeeper
08-27-2012, 09:59 AM
The saplings will still pop up through the lawn though.

Big deal - he needs to mow the lawn. At that point; the saplings are just like a week.

Squisher
08-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Generally speaking you can cut up 1/3 of a tree's root system without harming the tree. Also, roots usually extend out a little further than the branches of the tree (weep line).

How big is the canopy of this tree and how far from the base are you cutting these roots?

DrPizza
08-27-2012, 10:41 AM
An shovel and axe would be both simple and well suited to the task.
Without pictures, there's no way to know what tools would be suited to the task. I've got a few roots in my front yard from 2 trees. I'll pay you $300 if you remove them with an axe and shovel. Hell, I can make that $500 or more, because I know you'll give up after less than 10 hours of work, when you realize it'll take forever. I saw this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD8BFePowqY and realized I was competely wasting my time (my stumps are much bigger, and the roots are exposed on the surface.)

alkemyst
08-27-2012, 11:02 AM

you'd use a chain saw for this.

DrPizza
08-27-2012, 01:24 PM
You don't use a chain saw below ground level, unless you want to sharpen your chain after 2 minutes of use.

alkemyst
08-27-2012, 01:27 PM
You don't use a chain saw below ground level, unless you want to sharpen your chain after 2 minutes of use.

You would need to dig around the root first.

CZroe
08-27-2012, 02:56 PM
You would need to dig around the root first.

Easier said than done and I guarantee you that you'd end up treating your shovel like an ax before it gets anywhere near that far.

The problem is digging around something you can't see all of with underground obstructions which block your shovel nearly anyplace you think you can push it under to dig around.

alkemyst
08-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Easier said than done and I guarantee you that you'd end up treating your shovel like an ax before it gets anywhere near that far.

The problem is digging around something you can't see all of with underground obstructions which block your shovel nearly anyplace you think you can push it under to dig around.

I understand what is involved, I have removed trees/stumps/root systems this way. The largest required me digging about 6' deep and about 12' wide to remove the full root ball.

It's not easy work, but if it's beyond you, you should hire a pro.

CZroe
08-27-2012, 03:11 PM
I understand what is involved, I have removed trees/stumps/root systems this way. The largest required me digging about 6' deep and about 12' wide to remove the full root ball.

It's not easy work, but if it's beyond you, you should hire a pro.

Or use the right tool (reciprocating saw).

alkemyst
08-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Or use the right tool (reciprocating saw).

A reciprocating saw is not the proper tool to remove stumps nor root systems unless small.

CZroe
08-27-2012, 03:26 PM
A reciprocating saw is not the proper tool to remove stumps nor root systems unless small.

Removal is not the goal. Killing it is. You cut the root from the tree. The trunk is in the neighbor's yard and is not what the thread was talking about.

BoomerD
08-27-2012, 03:32 PM
My neighbors have an apricot tree that has grown roots into my yard and pop up "saplings" in my redwood bed. I've considered trying to dig out the roots that are causing the problem...but it's too much work, (the redwoods have filled the bed with roots of their own) so I just whack the starters off at the ground level. They keep coming back every year though.

torpid
08-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Removal is not the goal. Killing it is. You cut the root from the tree. The trunk is in the neighbor's yard and is not what the thread was talking about.

If you intentionally kill a neighbor's tree then be prepared for the shitstorm of lawsuits that will follow.

alkemyst
08-27-2012, 03:37 PM
If you intentionally kill a neighbor's tree then be prepared for the shitstorm of lawsuits that will follow.

QFT that poster is a moron to think this is about killing their neighbor's tree.

silverpig
08-27-2012, 03:40 PM

This. It isn't just a single root. There's a huge spiderweb network of them. I have done this before and you essentially just dig with your axe. It's not a fun job and makes a huge mess.

DrPizza
08-27-2012, 03:53 PM
QFT that poster is a moron to think this is about killing their neighbor's tree.
It depends on the type of tree, but for many species, removing some significant roots can have a serious impact on the tree. He doesn't *want* to kill his neighbor's tree, but needs to understand that it's a risk that he's taking.

That why, as I said earlier, TALK to the neighbor about the problem.

edit: and speaking of correct tools, you'd have to be an idiot to think that a shovel is the correct tool to remove a root ball, when it requires a 12 foot wide hole that's 6 feet deep.

chusteczka
08-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Honestly guys, the original post did not clearly differentiate between removing the tree roots and the saplings growing from tree shoots. He mentioned both cutting roots and mowing over the saplings. Thus confusing our understanding of his situation.

Tree Roots being standard roots under the tree for nourishment.

Tree Shoots being a root system feeder network from which little saplings grow, that extend radially from the original tree up to 10 meters away for reproductive purposes. Tree shoots can be like weeds.

Here is a pic of a tree shoot sapling of the type that I am familiar with.
http://i.stack.imgur.com/kKLb8.jpg

CZroe
08-27-2012, 03:57 PM

Jesus. I never said "killing the tree is the goal." Do I need to spell it out? Fine:

"Removal [of the root] is not the goal. Killing [the root] is. You cut the [offending] root from the tree. The trunk is in the neighbor's yard and is not what the thread was talking about."

Why the hell you ever started talking about entire root systems and trunks/stumps in the neighbor's yard is beyond me. Trees have many roots and the OP wants to remove the ones causing a problem in his yard. The offending root/roots are not the taproot nor are they the entire root system. There is no "stump" to remove. He can probably kill as many as he wants without killing the tree.

I love it when people call other people a "moron" for something they themselves misinterpreted.

torpid
08-27-2012, 04:35 PM
I am unclear on your usage of the word "kill"

Meghan54
08-27-2012, 04:53 PM
edit: and speaking of correct tools, you'd have to be an idiot to think that a shovel is the correct tool to remove a root ball, when it requires a 12 foot wide hole that's 6 feet deep.

Just consider the source and you have your answer. ;)

onza
08-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Drill holes and put roundup in the trunk system.

EZ

DrPizza
08-27-2012, 05:11 PM
For what it's worth, after a little extra googling time, many species will tolerate a couple of their main roots being severed without too much decline, IF you give the trees extra water for a year or so while they generate more roots. Again - you need to know the species of tree & will likely need to talk to your neighbor about your plans.

Wreckem
08-27-2012, 05:16 PM

Conversely the neighbor likely has the legal obligation to take care of the situation. Go to neighbor and demand they take care of it. If they don't, file a civil suit. Get a court order to cut the roots.

spaceman
08-27-2012, 05:48 PM
put fill over them
no saw
no lawsuit
happy lawn
less work
derp

spaceman
08-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Conversely the neighbor likely has the legal obligation to take care of the situation. Go to neighbor and demand they take care of it. If they don't, file a civil suit. Get a court order to cut the roots.

yes
alienate your neighbor
itll pay huge dividends down the road and make for a harmonious living situation

alkemyst
08-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Just consider the source and you have your answer. ;)

I could have rented a truck, but I didn't know at the time how large the system was. I did it over a few weekends while travelling...had I known I'd just hire some poor folks to come and handle it.

Also in Florida and how coastal I am, digging is very easy here. It's very sandy soil.

JEDI
08-27-2012, 06:19 PM
It depends on the type of tree, but for many species, removing some significant roots can have a serious impact on the tree. He doesn't *want* to kill his neighbor's tree, but needs to understand that it's a risk that he's taking.

That why, as I said earlier, TALK to the neighbor about the problem.

Neighbor's tree:
http://i.imgur.com/KE2xx.jpg

alkemyst
08-27-2012, 06:20 PM
put fill over them
no saw
no lawsuit
happy lawn
less work
derp

Problem is some trees sprout up even if they are covered well.

Iron Woode
08-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Neighbor's tree:
http://i.imgur.com/KE2xx.jpg
that looks a lot like Chinese Elm.

Doppel
08-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Found this... seems even more relevant.Even though he's only removing roots on his property? If my neighbor's tree is sending its roots not only on my property but it's coming up on the grass I should be able to chainsaw those things until my heart's content.

OP do this when neighbor isn't at home :D

alkemyst
08-27-2012, 07:14 PM
The way the law usually works is you have a right to clear your property lines of other's trees. However; you cannot do this with the sole intention of killing their foliage.

If by clearing your property lines results in that thing dying, then you are not usually responsible.