PDA

View Full Version : Bridgestone vs Michelin tires (Costco)

JEDI
08-11-2012, 01:53 PM
2005 Mazda3i (16" tires)
I'm almost at my tires warning mark (~4/32" tire tread left).

every other week costco has one of these brands on sale at $70 off for a set of 4.
till 8/15/12 they also offer $30 off installation if u buy Bridgestone.

my main criteria is wet traction. (had a close call using Walmart's viva2 tires which had Traction =B :o :( )

How are Bridgestone's compared to Michelins?

Throckmorton
08-11-2012, 02:10 PM
They're both good brands

MagnusTheBrewer
08-11-2012, 02:22 PM
I personally would go with Michelin. Totally anecdotal but, I had a set of new Bridgestones (3000 miles) hydroplane on me at 50 mph on an Interstate and the gentle curve was diamond cut to aid with run off.

Ferzerp
08-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Look up the individual line of tire (not just brand) on tirerack, discount tire, etc. See how they're rated there.

We can give you a few data points, but they have reviews providing many more.

SyndromeOCZ
08-11-2012, 04:38 PM
I only buy Michelin tires any more, they pick up less nails than any other brands I've use(I work construction) and they also last much longer and provide a better ride. Of course I don't do racing tires or over sized on my trucks.

Raizinman
08-11-2012, 05:25 PM
When you compare manufacturers like Bridgestone & Michelin, its like comparing Ford against Chevrolet. What specific model tire are you looking for? Costco pretty much only handles the higher end, all purpose tires (as a general rule) and pretty much any tire you get there will work just fine. Both Bridgestone and Michelin make great tires that the auto manufactuers use as OEM. You have to go through and compare the specs of each tire to get what you want.

BUTCH1
08-11-2012, 11:33 PM
I had Bridgestone's as oem on my car and they were decent, lasted 45K and rode smooth. If they are substantially cheaper than the Michelin I would get them without thinking twice..

foghorn67
08-12-2012, 03:14 AM
Both good brands, but please post the specific tires you are comparing.
Tires are categorized in speed rating, tread life and wet and dry traction. Then you throw in compounds, and sidewall constructions into the mix.
Viva2's are shit. They are an attempt by Goodyear to satisfy cheap Walmart requirements.

For example one set could be more performance orientated with a shorter tread life. The other set might be higher mileage tires that ride quieter.

Fenixgoon
08-12-2012, 05:48 AM
Both good brands, but please post the specific tires you are comparing.
Tires are categorized in speed rating, tread life and wet and dry traction. Then you throw in compounds, and sidewall constructions into the mix.
Viva2's are shit. They are an attempt by Goodyear to satisfy cheap Walmart requirements.

For example one set could be more performance orientated with a shorter tread life. The other set might be higher mileage tires that ride quieter.

i was going to say this but didn't feel like typing it all.

sdifox
08-12-2012, 06:45 AM
Model is much more important than brand

Gibson486
08-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Michelin Exalto

Howard
08-12-2012, 10:24 AM
I've heard that Michelin is one of the best manufacturers out there. YMMV, and of course the model trumps the make.

WaTaGuMp
08-12-2012, 12:10 PM
I just got some Bridgestone Insignia from Costco on Tuesday. Cant really give a review on the tires till they have been used for a while. What I will say is Costco's service is HORRIBLE. I was there 30 minutes before they opened and it took almost 3 hours total till they were done. I was number 7, they have 4 bays, so it makes zero sense it would take that long. I rather of spent $40 more someplace else, than wait that long for tires.

JEDI
08-12-2012, 05:08 PM
I just got some Bridgestone Insignia from Costco on Tuesday. Cant really give a review on the tires till they have been used for a while. What I will say is Costco's service is HORRIBLE. I was there 30 minutes before they opened and it took almost 3 hours total till they were done. I was number 7, they have 4 bays, so it makes zero sense it would take that long. I rather of spent $40 more someplace else, than wait that long for tires.

wow.. u ask them why?
and call up corporate to bitch if you dont like the answer

foghorn67
08-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Quite honestly. Ask the Costco guy to compare tires to your original tires supplied by the manufacturer. He'll tell you the pros and cons of the comparable tires. Don't just simply ask what's better than a Viva 2. Because anything they carry is better than that crap.

WhoBeDaPlaya
08-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Depends on the specific model you're looking at for each brand. For me (235/50R17), it came down to the RE960AS Pole Positions and Pilot Sport A/S Pluses. Flipped a coin and chose the Pole Positions.

vshah
08-13-2012, 07:50 AM
My car came with exalto pe2s and they were great tires, just too expensive. Now I use dunlop direzzas in the summer and continental dws in the winter. Check out prices on the contis. They have great wet traction.

lothar
08-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Quite honestly. Ask the Costco guy to compare tires to your original tires supplied by the manufacturer. He'll tell you the pros and cons of the comparable tires. Don't just simply ask what's better than a Viva 2. Because anything they carry is better than that crap.
Are the Costco guys actually educated about tires or are they like geek squad members that work for BestBuy?

-Lothar

foghorn67
08-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Are the Costco guys actually educated about tires or are they like geek squad members that work for BestBuy?

-Lothar

They have a computer that tells them.

NoCreativity
08-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Definitely look at tirerack ratings. I had a set OEM of Michilen Pilots (don't remeber exact model) on my Fusion that had plenty of life left on them. But I had to replace them because I'd hydroplane even in small puddles.

RagingBITCH
08-13-2012, 12:25 PM

-Lothar

They go through Costco's certification program, whatever that entails. From past experience, and from just having been there an hour ago for a tire rotation, they (varies among the guys) tend to be pretty knowledgeable. The guy I talked to was the same guy who sold me my Primacy's 2 years ago. Again, I guess it depends if you're asking him what's the best tire for driving in the rain that also doubles for auto-crossing, or comparing OEM vs some higher rated replacements.

Ns1
08-13-2012, 05:07 PM

Their service doesn't "suck", it's just slow.

After years of buying Costco tires, best bet is to go with a friend and drop off your car and pick it up later. Save $100 over the nearest competitor and get rotation/inflate/repairs for the life of the tire.

They ALWAYS take forever. Even going in for a free rotation takes 2 hours.

shabby
08-13-2012, 05:44 PM
How are Bridgestone's compared to Michelins?

Be specific, which bridgestone and which michelin tire? These companies make dozens of different tires ranging from garbage to amazing.

COPOHawk
08-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Use www.tirerack.com for reviews...best tire research website I have seen. Also could use www.discounttire.com for user reviews, but I find less reviews there.

Excelsior
08-13-2012, 06:13 PM
My main complaint with getting tires at Costco is the price even with the $70 off isn't always the best. Although they offer lifetime rotation/balance, it takes nearly 2HRs almost every time I want to have the tires rotated. Too damn long.

With that said, the Michelin Exalto's I got for my sedan have been nothing less than stellar. Great ice/snow traction for an all season, incredible wet traction (never hydroplaned, even in torrential rain on the interstate at 75mph), and decent wear.

WaTaGuMp
08-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Their service doesn't "suck", it's just slow.

After years of buying Costco tires, best bet is to go with a friend and drop off your car and pick it up later. Save $100 over the nearest competitor and get rotation/inflate/repairs for the life of the tire.

They ALWAYS take forever. Even going in for a free rotation takes 2 hours.

I laughed at the guy after he said don't forget to come back for your rotation. The day I got the tires, there was another guy who would be waiting till 2pm, a total of 4 hours for him. If I did decide to buy tires from them again, I might try a different Costco with more bays. But if they tell me it will be 2 hours, which they didn't for my last purchase, I will not buy from them. I get lifetime repairs etc etc from my usual place. Tires should not take that long to do, get them in and out, you sell more.

WaTaGuMp
08-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Use www.tirerack.com for reviews...best tire research website I have seen. Also could use www.discounttire.com for user reviews, but I find less reviews there.

Your 2nd link is the place I normally buy tires.

Ns1
08-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Tires should not take that long to do, get them in and out, you sell more.

They don't seem strapped for customers since we're waiting 2-4 hours to get our tires rotated.

JEDI
08-13-2012, 07:24 PM
My main complaint with getting tires at Costco is the price even with the $70 off isn't always the best. Although they offer lifetime rotation/balance, it takes nearly 2HRs almost every time I want to have the tires rotated. Too damn long.

With that said, the Michelin Exalto's I got for my sedan have been nothing less than stellar. Great ice/snow traction for an all season, incredible wet traction (never hydroplaned, even in torrential rain on the interstate at 75mph), and decent wear.

Michelin-Pilot® Exalto® A/S is 45k mile warrenty.
michelin primacy mxv4 is 60k miles.
michelin primacy mxm4 is 55k but has 'AA' traction vs 'A' traction for the other 2.

if wet traction is my primary concern, just research the Costco tires rated AA and ignore the rest?

edit:
and the mxm4 is also low rolling resistance. (thus better gas milage.)
i think i found my next tire?

WaTaGuMp
08-13-2012, 07:36 PM
They don't seem strapped for customers since we're waiting 2-4 hours to get our tires rotated.

They might also lose some due to the long wait times.

Ns1
08-13-2012, 07:41 PM
They might also lose some due to the long wait times.

meh, what people will do to save $35 (I'll wait)

Meghan54
08-13-2012, 08:01 PM
When we reshod our Murano last December (it came with Goodyear Eagle LS tires...horrible!), we looked at Michelins and some Bridgestone-made tires, but ended up with some Continental CrossContacts. Haven't been disappointed in the least with that decision.

Excelsior
08-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Michelin-Pilot® Exalto® A/S is 45k mile warrenty.
michelin primacy mxv4 is 60k miles.
michelin primacy mxm4 is 55k but has 'AA' traction vs 'A' traction for the other 2.

if wet traction is my primary concern, just research the Costco tires rated AA and ignore the rest?

edit:
and the mxm4 is also low rolling resistance. (thus better gas milage.)
i think i found my next tire?

I have the Exalto A/S, so i can't speak for the other two. I have no complaints about the A/S though.

Gibson486
08-15-2012, 06:24 AM

life time balance and rotation is not even a big deal....most tire places include that also (at least in my area).

everydae
08-15-2012, 07:23 AM
life time balance and rotation is not even a big deal....most tire places include that also (at least in my area).

Yup. Most tire shop offers lifetime balance this day as long as you buy tires there. And moreover, unless it's not done right first time, I don't think you will rebalance often, if not never at all.

For rotation, I just go to Pepboys, which offers free rotation for its rewards program member. Several (More than Costco for sure) locations nearby, so I just call them before I leave and go to the one with less waiting. As a result, I've never spent more than an hour for rotation so far.