PDA

View Full Version : Won't Ghost from external DVD drive

kongqueror
06-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Hi guys, I hope someone could help me through this. I created a bootable Windows XP Ghost iso file and it works flawlessly on a laptop with an internal dvd drive. Before actually burning it, I also tested successfully on a VM.

My problem is that I really want to install that image on a Lenovo X1 that has no internal DVD drive. When I use the external USB DVD drive, it boots to the A prompt but does not load drive X which has the ghost.exe on it.

When I try the same DVD on a Lenovo T61 and an external DVD drive, it does not boot to DOS but gives me the following error:

CDR101: Not ready reading drive X
Abort, Retry, Fail?

Any ideas? Thanks!

JackMDS
06-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Windows can Not Boot via USB.

:cool:

Bubbaleone
06-30-2012, 11:10 PM
Use WinToFlash (http://wintoflash.com/home/en/) and create a bootable Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008/7/8 installation USB flash drive. This does not work with external USB devices. Be sure to enable booting from USB in the BIOS.

corkyg
07-01-2012, 12:58 PM
I regularly boot my Lenovo T510 and T60 to USB Flash Media with Acronis TI 2012 installed as bootable rescue media. The process is the same for both Thinkpads - as soon as the Lenovo boot screen appears, hit F12. That will select all bootable devices. Does not "Ghost" have a bootable media capability? Forget Windows.

JackMDS
07-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Just to be clear.

Many specific apps can bvoot from USB.

As an example, Acronis TI (as mentioned by corkyg) or Win Installation CD/DVD on Flash Drive.

An installed partition of Windows that includes actual Running Windows installation would not boot through the USB port no matter what medium it is it is installed on.

:cool:

kongqueror
07-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys.

@Bubbaleone - Yes, USB booting is enabled. I can choose the external DVD drive from the list of bootable devices.

@corkyg - Yes, I am past that point of hitting F12 to select my external DVD drive. The Lenovo X1 actually boots to the dos A:\ and I can list the contents of the bootable portion of the DVD.

@JackMDS - My DVD is basically a Windows 98 boot CD + ghost.exe + .GHO file. As an experiment, it works on a Lenovo T61's internal DVD (I can get to the ghost application and choose the .GHO file) but when I use the external USB DVD drive with the same boot DVD on that same T61, it fails with the error I indicated.

Thanks for any more input!