PDA

View Full Version : flash point vs. boiling point

IceBergSLiM
10-03-2008, 12:01 PM
say i have 80 proof 40% alc/vol rum

how do i determine flash point and boiling point?

Fenixgoon
10-03-2008, 12:17 PM
the boiling point is when the vapor pressure of the liquid is equal to the atmospheric pressure. if i were really ambitious, i'd look it up in a thermo book, because generally it goes something like:

ln(P) = A*T + B*ln(T) + C/T^2. you also have to account for the fact that you have a mixture (but it has complete solubility). so we'd use raoult's law and the other one, which i can't remember off the top of my head, heh.

oh thermo, it's only been a year, but i've forgotten it all already :brokenheart:

IceBergSLiM
10-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
the boiling point is when the vapor pressure of the liquid is equal to the atmospheric pressure.

how do i figure that out for an 80 proof rum?

IceBergSLiM
10-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
the boiling point is when the vapor pressure of the liquid is equal to the atmospheric pressure. if i were really ambitious, i'd look it up in a thermo book, because generally it goes something like:

ln(P) = A*T + B*ln(T) + C/T^2. you also have to account for the fact that you have a mixture (but it has complete solubility). so we'd use raoult's law and the other one, which i can't remember off the top of my head, heh.

oh thermo, it's only been a year, but i've forgotten it all already :brokenheart:

yeah that might as well be chinese for mje what are p, a, t, b, mean?

gorcorps
10-03-2008, 12:31 PM
80 proof rum means 40% by volume alcohol, which is ethanol. The other 60% is assumed to be water. Ethanol has a BP of 78.4C and water at 100C. You can use those temps and fractions to estimate the boiling point (with the assumption your atmospheric pressure is 1atm or 760mmHg(torr)).

IceBergSLiM
10-03-2008, 03:31 PM
flashpoint anyone?

Paperdoc
10-03-2008, 03:34 PM
You could try requesting an MSDS Data Sheet from a distiller. Those are the sheets that specify a whole bunch of safety-realted info, required in all industrial workplaces to ensure workers are aware of all hazards and safety precutions. They will ALWAYS specify the Flash Point if there is one, and many contain the boiling point also.

I don't know if 80-proof alcohol has a Flash Point. That is the temperature for a liquid at which it will spontaneously burst into flame without exposure to a direct ignition source. While the rum may burn when lit with a match, that is not the same thing.

Brainonska511
10-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by: gorcorps
80 proof rum means 40% by volume alcohol, which is ethanol. The other 60% is assumed to be water. Ethanol has a BP of 78.4C and water at 100C. You can use those temps and fractions to estimate the boiling point (with the assumption your atmospheric pressure is 1atm or 760mmHg(torr)).

Even then, you don't need to estimate the boiling point, as the ethanol will hit the BP of 78.4C and start boiling off at that constant temperature. After the ethanol boils off, the temperature will continue to rise until it hits the boiling point of water. This is the general idea behind distillation (boiling and recondensing so that the alcohol ends up in greater and greater concentrations).

As far as flashpoint, isn't that the temperature at which it will combust?

darkxshade
10-03-2008, 03:36 PM
flash point (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0992911/) = 6.8

boiling point (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106455/) = 4.7

Flash point wins :P

Tiamat
10-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Um, flash point is completely unrelated to boiling point. Flash point is the minimum temperature required for the it to become ignitable in air.

If you want to flash your rum, its not going to be very easy since its ethanol content is low. Pure ethanol flashes at 12.8 celcius. Flash point of 54% rum is about 22 celcius. Normal rum will be higher while Bacardi 151 will be in between 13C and 22C as you can see this trend...

Itchrelief
10-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by: Tiamat
Um, flash point is completely unrelated to boiling point. Flash point is the minimum temperature required for the it to become ignitable in air.

I'm talking out of my arse here, but I would suppose it would have some relationship with the volatility of the flammable substance, since it is usually the vapors that combust.

By wildly making assumptions, I would think you'd probably need to know the minimum % of alcohol vapors in air to sustain combustion, then find at what temperature you will get a partial pressure of alcohol that corresponds to that %.

Assuming the above is true, lower boiling point means more vapors = lower flash point, assuming the combustion occurs at the same % of vapors in air.

Tiamat
10-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by: Itchrelief

I'm talking out of my arse here, but I would suppose it would have some relationship with the volatility of the flammable substance, since it is usually the vapors that combust.

By wildly making assumptions, I would think you'd probably need to know the minimum % of alcohol vapors in air to sustain combustion, then find at what temperature you will get a partial pressure of alcohol that corresponds to that %.

Assuming the above is true, lower boiling point means more vapors = lower flash point, assuming the combustion occurs at the same % of vapors in air.

see my edits.

Alcohol won't behave linearly, however, a rough guess can be had with linear interpolation.

Problem with flash point is the second you remove the ignition source, the flame goes away. If you want the flame to remain you have to reach the Fire Point, which is somewhat higher.

For this reason, Bacardi 151 is relatively easy to keep on fire at room temperature conditions (while normal Bacardi rum is not as easy).

If you want a more exact Flash and boiling point, you will need a chemistry lab and learn rudimentary thermodynamics through wikipedia.

oldsmoboat
10-03-2008, 04:13 PM
MSDS?
EDIT
Guess they don't have them for "food".

IceBergSLiM
10-03-2008, 04:14 PM

see my edits.

Alcohol won't behave linearly, however, a rough guess can be had with linear interpolation.

Problem with flash point is the second you remove the ignition source, the flame goes away. If you want the flame to remain you have to reach the Fire Point, which is somewhat higher.

For this reason, Bacardi 151 is relatively easy to keep on fire at room temperature conditions (while normal Bacardi rum is not as easy).

If you want a more exact Flash and boiling point, you will need a chemistry lab and learn rudimentary thermodynamics through wikipedia.

f that shit. lol

Tiamat
10-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim

see my edits.

f that shit. lol

If you have some extra rum why dont you just try the experiment?

All you need is a thermometer, and a heat source.

1. Put rum in cup with thermometer.
2. Keep fire extinguisher very close by
3. Test rum at room temperature with a lighter. Did it light? (Yes/No). If not, increase temperature.

4. Record the temperature that the rum flashed.
5. Record the temperature that the rum started boiling.

6. What did you learn from this experiment?

Eli
10-03-2008, 04:21 PM
The boiling point of ethanol, as someone mentioned, is 173.1F.

The flash point of 40% ethanol/60% water is 78.8F.

That's probably close enough for your rum.

Tiamat
10-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by: Eli

Seems reasonable compared to linear extrapolation from the data I supplied earlier.

IceBergSLiM
10-07-2008, 11:15 AM

so buy your calculation if I'm drinking rum on a hot summer day its going to explode?

DisgruntledVirus
10-07-2008, 11:25 AM

so buy your calculation if I'm drinking rum on a hot summer day its going to explode?

With an ignition source it could ignite and burn, but not explode. The flash point is not the temp where a vapor will explode, but instead where it will ignite. It may or may not continue burning when the ignition source is removed.

The flash point of a flammable liquid is the lowest temperature at which it can form an ignitable mixture in air. At this temperature the vapor may cease to burn when the source of ignition is removed

per wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashpoint)

IceBergSLiM
10-07-2008, 11:30 AM

sorry guess I'm confusing flash point with auto ignition point

RapidSnail
10-07-2008, 11:38 AM

No. The liquid must be 78.8F for it to be ignitable. How many people drink bear at ~80 degrees on a hot summer day?

DisgruntledVirus
10-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by: RapidSnail

No. The liquid must be 78.8F for it to be ignitable. How many people drink bear at ~80 degrees on a hot summer day?

I want to know how many people drink bear

alkemyst
10-07-2008, 12:00 PM

sorry guess I'm confusing flash point with auto ignition point

guess it's the same with push and pull with you.

RapidSnail
10-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by: DisgruntledVirus

I want to know how many people drink bear

Oops. I should have said "bare." Which might make sense! :laugh:

Paperdoc
10-07-2008, 02:39 PM

Bear Beer, etc.:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamm's_Beer_bear
http://beerblog.genx40.com/arc.../january/stoutsbigbear (http://beerblog.genx40.com/archive/2008/january/stoutsbigbear)

I am having difficulty in accepting the idea that at 80F a glass of plain 80-proof rum (or other liquor) will spontaneously flash into flame, even if it quickly stops burning without a nearby ignition source. I expect the temperature to be much higher than that.

Itchrelief
10-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by: Paperdoc

Bear Beer, etc.:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamm's_Beer_bear
http://beerblog.genx40.com/arc.../january/stoutsbigbear (http://beerblog.genx40.com/archive/2008/january/stoutsbigbear)

I am having difficulty in accepting the idea that at 80F a glass of plain 80-proof rum (or other liquor) will spontaneously flash into flame, even if it quickly stops burning without a nearby ignition source. I expect the temperature to be much higher than that.

Not spontaneously. If you drop your burning cigarette into it.