PDA

View Full Version : Best of the worst auto insurance companies?

homercles337
03-27-2012, 11:12 AM
I have always believed in you get what you pay for, so when i got a car (after being car-free for 6 years) i decided State Farm was going to be my insurance company. I also have renters insurance with them, so it seemed reasonable. I got the quote from them and it was lowest of the other top-tier companies, so i started the policy and paid for 6 months. A couple weeks later, i got a bill indicating that they "misquoted" me and that i would have to pay an additional $50/month (which means my monthly rate would increase from $117 to $167 on their cheapest plan). So, i think i am going to go with one of the cheap auto insurance companies, but this has me wondering, which company is the best of the worst? Geico? Progressive? Esurance? Others?

UPDATE: I went with Progressive and my premium dropped by 46%.

Jeff7
03-27-2012, 11:28 AM
See if they really want your business - if you haven't done so already, tell them that you'll cancel all of your policies with them and find another provider unless they honor their original quote. :)

(StateFarm customer here, so I've got nothing on other companies. I've had no issues with them in the 12 years I've been with them, though I've also had no claims with them either.)

JackBurton
03-27-2012, 11:40 AM
I canceled my State Farm policy PRONTO when they sent me a quote for my new car. I was with them for 22+ years and paid my premiums like clock work. But when they quoted me 50% MORE than what Progressive offered and for less coverage, they lost my business. They tried to give me, "but we offer great customer service." And I just responded, "you sure don't give me 50% better customers service."

The facts are, when you get into an accident, you pick the place where you want your vehicle repaired. So why are you paying more for the same coverage. I had an accident with my brand new car and Progressive took care of it. I was actually really surprised at the level of service they gave me. I'd definitely recommend them.

Ferzerp
03-27-2012, 11:47 AM
What are you people who have to pay more than $115 a month driving anyway? Geez. I drive a $50k 470 hp car and don't even pay $110 a month with farm bureau.

JackBurton
03-27-2012, 11:57 AM
What are you people who have to pay more than $115 a month driving anyway? Geez. I drive a $50k 470 hp car and don't even pay $110 a month with farm bureau.

Take into consideration age and your driving record plays a big part in insurance premiums. Also, there may be more than one car covered.

homercles337
03-27-2012, 12:05 PM

I live downtown (in a high crime city, car is in secured garage though) and have not had auto insurance for 6 years (ZipCar, WeCar, and rentals took care of that). The agents i have talked to said these are the two major contributing factors. I get all kinds of "good driver, bundled, and olde-tymer" discounts too. Not having auto insurance for 6 years is the real killer for me.

jlee
03-27-2012, 12:08 PM
I have no issue with Progressive - have been with them since 2005 and I don't plan on switching anytime soon.

Meghan54
03-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Take into consideration age and your driving record plays a big part in insurance premiums. Also, there may be more than one car covered.

Plus amounts of ins. (100k, 300k is much cheaper than 300k, 500k), deductibles ($1k ded. is much cheaper than say, $250 ded.), type carried (Having comprehensive and collision obviously costs more than not having them), location (some areas of the country are much more expensive than others for same coverage), etc.

JackBurton
03-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Plus amounts of ins. (100k, 300k is much cheaper than 300k, 500k), deductibles ($1k ded. is much cheaper than say, $250 ded.), type carried (Having comprehensive and collision obviously costs more than not having them), location (some areas of the country are much more expensive than others for same coverage), etc.

Yes, that too. :)

T2urtle
03-27-2012, 12:15 PM
certain cars are priced differently.

State farm was by far the cheapest for my g35 and about average for the maxima. Oddly enough my sv650 was not even with all the discounts, homeowners and multiple car discount , they were very pricey. Nationwide had them beat

TapaTalking

homercles337
03-27-2012, 12:21 PM
I have no issue with Progressive - have been with them since 2005 and I don't plan on switching anytime soon.

Have you ever filed a claim?

jlee
03-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Have you ever filed a claim?

Yep.

96Firebird
03-27-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm hoping Geico doesn't try to do this bait and switch with me... I recently signed up with them for my new (to me) car. 2002 Trans Am, full coverage, $100k/$200k, $100k/$200k uninsured, $500 deductible, 23yr old driver with an at-fault accident and 1 speeding ticket still on record. They quoted me $416 for 6 months, so I called to make sure everything was correct. They ran my license, got the VIN for the car, and said everything looked right so I went with it. My old roommate (who is an insurance agent, quoted me $2200 for a year) said to take it, and that my good credit score (712 is good?) probably helped me out.

Not sure how good Geico is, but hopefully I never have to deal with them.

CrackRabbit
03-27-2012, 01:03 PM
I've had good experiences with Progressive and AAA California.
Had ok experiences with Ameriprise through Costco, until the screwed up my billing and then wanted to force me to pay for my entire term at once because of their mistake.
I wouldn't insure my car with Geico if you held a gun to my head, extremely bad experiences with them.

shortylickens
03-27-2012, 01:08 PM
USAA is still the best.
I'm so glad I never had to mess with those other crappy insurers.

ThatsABigOne
03-27-2012, 01:28 PM
USAA is still the best.

Yup! They even sent a 600 dollar check back to us as part of long term customer! :wub:

SpatiallyAware
03-27-2012, 01:34 PM
If state farm doesn't want you as a customer they are notorious for raising your rates.

It's just business, and doesn't make them a bad company.

AstroManLuca
03-27-2012, 01:44 PM
I had State Farm for a long time but upon getting married and putting two people on the same policy, their rates went up by a lot vs. Progressive. I ended up switching to Progressive and I only pay $460 per 6 months for full coverage on two cars. In fact the cost is about the same as what it was for just one car on State Farm (although most of the time I was with State Farm, I was unmarried and under 25).

homercles337
03-27-2012, 02:19 PM
If state farm doesn't want you as a customer they are notorious for raising your rates.

It's just business, and doesn't make them a bad company.

I have heard that some insurance companies will charge crazy rates in order to lower their risk for a given area. Maybe i am in one of those areas?

bruceb
03-27-2012, 02:28 PM
I had State Farm for many years, but their rates got insane. That said, the claims I had against them were handled well. Can't speak about Progressive, and as to Esurance, I think they are owned by Allstate. I currently have my car with MetLife Auto and have not needed any claims. In the future I may stay with them or maybe go with the AARP through the Hartford (they claim very good rates)

JackBurton
03-27-2012, 02:37 PM
I have heard that some insurance companies will charge crazy rates in order to lower their risk for a given area. Maybe i am in one of those areas?

I'm not sure about you, but I was as perfect of a customer as you get. Always paid on time, and I believe I only had one claim with them in my 22 years with them. My dad had the same problem with them, and he was with them for even longer with SEVERAL cars insured through them. We had the discount they give (I believe it is a good drivers discount) but even with that they were still 50% higher than Progressive. When I gave them the quote Progressive gave me, the agent said, "I don't know how they are giving you that rate." Well, if they can't figure it out, that's not my problem.

Abel007
03-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Insurance companies DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU unless you are a NEW customer. It pays to shop your insurance every 6 to 12 months for everything you have insurance on! Loyalty to these companies is just robbing you of your hard earned money.

Check out standard companies for the best rates possible. They typically require you to have a fairly clean driving record and good credit. Here are a few that I have personally and professionally worked with for several years. Obviously, rates will depend on so many factors that there is not just "One for all." Good luck on your hunt and remember to ALWAYS SHOP AROUND!

http://www.amica.com
http://www.nationwide.com
http://www.foremost.com
http://www.thehartford.com

Also, if you must, Progressive is a solid company. Geico, The General, Esurance, are all non or sub standard companies that write as many policies as possible. They do not really care about your driving record and credit as much, but they just might offer you the cheapest insurance. You will be sacrificing something with each. Customer service, response time, addon features (like loss of use, accidental death, med pay) Check them all out. Insurance is a soft hit on your credit so there will be no harm in it.

AstroManLuca
03-27-2012, 02:51 PM
I'm not sure about you, but I was as perfect of a customer as you get. Always paid on time, and I believe I only had one claim with them in my 22 years with them. My dad had the same problem with them, and he was with them for even longer with SEVERAL cars insured through them. We had the discount they give (I believe it is a good drivers discount) but even with that they were still 50% higher than Progressive. When I gave them the quote Progressive gave me, the agent said, "I don't know how they are giving you that rate." Well, if they can't figure it out, that's not my problem.

Funny, my agent said the EXACT SAME THING to me when I called up to cancel.

SpatiallyAware
03-27-2012, 03:07 PM

State farm also tends to care a lot about your credit.

JackBurton
03-27-2012, 03:11 PM
State farm also tends to care a lot about your credit.

My credit is great and my dad was in the 800's (he pretty much has perfect credit). Maybe I need an 850 for State Farm to give me competitive rates. ;)

JackBurton
03-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Insurance companies DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU unless you are a NEW customer. It pays to shop your insurance every 6 to 12 months for everything you have insurance on! Loyalty to these companies is just robbing you of your hard earned money.

Exactly.

SpatiallyAware
03-27-2012, 04:09 PM
My credit is great and my dad was in the 800's (he pretty much has perfect credit). Maybe I need an 850 for State Farm to give me competitive rates. ;)

I wasn't insinuating anything about you or your dad, I was merely saying that this is a factor with state farm.

Ferzerp
03-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Exactly.

My insurance agent was also my soccer coach in 3rd grade over 2.5 decades ago. ;)

JackBurton
03-27-2012, 04:11 PM
I wasn't insinuating anything about you or your dad, I was merely saying that this is a factor with state farm.

Nope, I didn't take it as that. Just pointing out everything looked as good as it could be, and they still were way out of line with their rates for me.

Dulanic
03-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Progressive has always been fantastic for me and always the lowest. The only time I didn't have them was when I first moved to MA and they didn't cover here at the time. Thankfully MA changed their insurance law and they do now! :)

AstroManLuca
03-27-2012, 04:39 PM
I think one thing about State Farm is they cater to people who want/need lots of hand holding. I remember how helpful and cordial my agent always was. We were on a first name basis and would small talk with each other. When I canceled my policy, I actually felt bad about it. I can only imagine how things would be different if I was 65 years old and afraid of change.

foghorn67
03-27-2012, 05:05 PM
I've been with State Farm for over a decade. The rates still seem competitive to me. They were always great to work with.
Last year I had a total loss claim, everything worked out great.

Don Vito Corleone
03-27-2012, 05:08 PM
USAA is still the best.

No doubt. Best prices, best service. Anyone who is eligible for USAA would be foolish to use any other insurer in my opinion. I say this as a person who has made 4 claims, including a $23K comprehensive claim (my car was stolen and totaled), a $7K non-fault collision claim, a $3K at-fault collision claim, and a glass claim in the last 12 years.

justfrank
03-27-2012, 08:14 PM
I've had Progressive for years and have never made a claim but the Credit score with Insurance companies baffles me. I fail to see how that matters? Last time I checked, my credit score was 830 and yet Progressives quotes every 6 months say my rate isn't as good as it could be due to my Credit score so WTF are they talking about? I pay about $335 every 6 months (in full rate) to insure 2 older cars (full coverage) so I doubt it could be much less anyway.

JackBurton
03-27-2012, 08:28 PM
I've had Progressive for years and have never made a claim but the Credit score with Insurance companies baffles me. I fail to see how that matters? Last time I checked, my credit score was 830 and yet Progressives quotes every 6 months say my rate isn't as good as it could be due to my Credit score so WTF are they talking about? I pay about $335 every 6 months (in full rate) to insure 2 older cars (full coverage) so I doubt it could be much less anyway.

I agree. I have great credit, but when you are with a company for years and consistently make your payment on time, WTF does a credit score have to do with anything. Hell, you are normally paying in advance. It's just another BS excuse to jack up your rates.

jlee
03-27-2012, 09:38 PM

Check out standard companies for the best rates possible. They typically require you to have a fairly clean driving record and good credit. Here are a few that I have personally and professionally worked with for several years. Obviously, rates will depend on so many factors that there is not just "One for all." Good luck on your hunt and remember to ALWAYS SHOP AROUND!

http://www.amica.com
http://www.nationwide.com
http://www.foremost.com
http://www.thehartford.com

Also, if you must, Progressive is a solid company. Geico, The General, Esurance, are all non or sub standard companies that write as many policies as possible. They do not really care about your driving record and credit as much, but they just might offer you the cheapest insurance. You will be sacrificing something with each. Customer service, response time, addon features (like loss of use, accidental death, med pay) Check them all out. Insurance is a soft hit on your credit so there will be no harm in it.

Sometimes it helps - Progressive charged me an early cancellation fee when I sold my motorcycle and canceled my policy (I changed states and it was showing that as a brand new policy canceled before a year was up). I called them, said I had been with them since '05 and got the $30 fee refunded.

I haven't found anyone to beat their rates yet, either, but for some reason insurance varies wildly from person to person.

Sid59
03-27-2012, 10:50 PM
Had Progressive but once we got a 2nd car and another driver, Geico was significantly cheaper.

homercles337
04-17-2012, 11:26 AM
UPDATE: I went with Progressive and my premium dropped by 46%. Much better customer service too.

Ferzerp
04-17-2012, 12:02 PM
There could be a correlation between insurance claims and credit scores, and so they're factoring it in to your premium. Just like there are gender and age links to accidents/claims, a credit score one may exist.

Scout80
04-17-2012, 12:52 PM
There could be a correlation between insurance claims and credit scores, and so they're factoring it in to your premium. Just like there are gender and age links to accidents/claims, a credit score one may exist.

A few years ago I was talking with a recent grad from my Alma-mater who is an actuary for a large insurance company. He was explaining how the newest thing they were looking at was credit scores.

PingSpike
04-17-2012, 01:43 PM

Yep, that's how it works. Some of them will even toot the horn about loyalty but its really more of a way to screw you than anything.

You have to shop around and shop around often. I had GEICO because they were a good deal for awhile, but then I noticed that while I had no claims and my cars were only getting older and more worthless that the insurance kept going up every period. Then I
dumped them for progressive who were a good deal cheaper despite the fact I had originally dumped them for GEICO.

I think one thing about State Farm is they cater to people who want/need lots of hand holding. I remember how helpful and cordial my agent always was. We were on a first name basis and would small talk with each other. When I canceled my policy, I actually felt bad about it. I can only imagine how things would be different if I was 65 years old and afraid of change.

Same thing happened to me with my home owners through them. But I didn't feel bad enough about it to eat a 25-30% rate increase that year. I just took the pussy way out and had the new insurance agent send the cancel letter for me. Hey, they offered. :P State Farm kept calling me all the time and trying to get me to change to them for auto as well despite the fact it cost way more even after the multiple policy discount. I've never had some one quote a multiple policy discount that didn't add up to net loss of money for me.

PingSpike
04-17-2012, 01:50 PM

Credit scores are increasingly used like a proxy to determine if some one is generally an unreliable dirtbag or not. While it makes sense for credit as that is what its for, its now used for all kinds insurance, apartments applications...job applications to I think. I don't really care for essentially measuring a person's worth by a stupid number that can be damaged easily through identity theft or other fraud but the methodology makes sense for insurance. Who is more likely to commit insurance fraud or just have more claims due to risky behavior? The guy with the high score or the low score?

Its actually more fair than paying more because you happen to have a penis if you think about it.

fstime
04-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Make sure your company covers OEM parts.

Some company's only cover OEM parts for body panels but non-OEM for everything else (lights, radiator, etc).

I've noticed you basically never win because they will eventually raise their initial quote on you after 1-3 policy periods like that was almost a teaser or new customer quote. So I just keep jumping around every 1-2 years.

Ferzerp
04-17-2012, 02:21 PM
PingSpike,
The thing about insurance premiums is that we typically can't appeal to intuition and always arrive at the correct result. In some cases, we can (young drivers are more likely to make a claim), but in other cases, we can't. The insurance agencies don't try to intuit what the premiums should be. They look at a metric (for example age) and get the average claim rate and cost per claim and base it on that. Sometimes that makes for things that intuitively make little sense (e.g. the rate on my car is exteremly low, while it's a pretty pricey, high performance vehicle). So, regardless of how we feel a credit score may effect it, they're going to know the exact correlation between credit score and claim rate (if one exists) and use the exact amounts in their decisions.

Mr. Lennon
04-17-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm with AAA for car + renters insurance. I pay about $1200 a year on a newish (2010 Mazda 3 S) car. Not a bad price for someone in their 20's. I've had no issues with them so far...

Mxylplyx
04-17-2012, 03:10 PM
I've had progressive for several years, and nobody else even comes close to their rates. I have great credit, and no incidents, and 2 10+ yr old vehicles. Full coverage for both of us is about $350 every 6 months.

Shawn
04-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Have Progressive. Pay $70/month.