PDA

View Full Version : Dear people that use PS3 controllers:

Barfo
01-30-2012, 10:28 PM
How do they work on the PC?
I just need a Bluetooth dongle right? how's the software, every button/stick mapped correctly? force feedback supported?

Thanks.

soccerballtux
01-30-2012, 10:39 PM
I never could get mine to work in games.

Gothgar
01-30-2012, 10:42 PM
http://www.motioninjoy.com/download

Only thing is, you have to restart windows and start in the mode where you can install any drivers. Trust me, it wont work, even if you say you trust it.

Then, its just plug and play with the USB cable.

Gothgar
01-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Further, you can get it to work as a 360 controller for games that only support a 360 via the same tool, which was handy for Super meat boy.

El Guaraguao
01-31-2012, 08:17 AM
No issues here. bought a usb bluetooth receiver and connected my ps3 to my laptop running win 7 64 bit. I have yet to have any issues with my games not finding my controller. I play from emulators (winkawaks, zsnes, dolphin) to regular pc games (mainly console ports) street fighter iv and sonic.

Barfo
01-31-2012, 10:45 AM
I never could get mine to work in games.

[url]Only thing is, you have to restart windows and start in the mode where you can install any drivers. Trust me, it wont work, even if you say you trust it.

So, it doesn't work wireless? that's the only reason I'm thinking of upgrading my PS2 pad.

thebigbolgna
01-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Xbox 360 controller works MUCH better

Soundmanred
01-31-2012, 11:06 AM
I would HIGHLY recommend not using Motionjoy. It's a crap piece of software. While you can get it to work and it works fine (most of the time), it borks your BT stack among other things.
I thought it was great when using it, but found out how crappy it was when I tried to get rid of it after having BT problems.
Had to do a system restore, it just didn't want to be completely uninstalled.
I suggest getting an X360 controller and dongle.

RPD
01-31-2012, 11:43 AM
What is a BT stack?

Soundmanred
01-31-2012, 11:48 AM
What is a BT stack?

Bluetooth Stack

RavenSEAL
01-31-2012, 12:01 PM

Wait for it....

Wait for it....

Yes it does. :thumbsup:

PowerYoga
01-31-2012, 12:16 PM

You can get a $5 bluetooth dongle to get the ps3 wireless to work, but that's not the point.

Listen to this guy. I had both, tried both. MotioninJoy NEEDS internet connection to even work. Without it your PS3 controller is a piece of junk for computer games. The support is VERY lacking and the joke of an "offline mode" has NO analog control. No thumbsticks, no rumble. The last straw for me was when motioninJoy's WEBSITE went down for 2 days and I couldn't play anything using my controller for that time.

Get the xbox 360 controller and some rechargeable batteries. You will not regret it. The support is superior... and I don't even have a xbox360. Use the ps3 controller for ps3.

Edit: Impossible to remove motioninJoy's drivers. It interferes with a lot of stuff, including other gaming controllers and my logitech mouse driver.

Renob
01-31-2012, 12:39 PM
never was happy with my ps3 controller on my PC got a Xbox controller and it works awesome...

Barfo
01-31-2012, 12:41 PM
Already use an Xbox 360 pad for most games, and a PS2 pad with USB adapter for emulators and Street Fighter, cause of the superior digital pad. I was looking to replace the PS2 with PS3 but it seems like it's not worth the hassle.

Dankk
01-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Listen to this guy. I had both, tried both. MotionJoy NEEDS internet connection to even work. Without it your PS3 controller is a piece of junk for computer games. The support is VERY lacking and the joke of an "offline mode" has NO analog control. No thumbsticks, no rumble. The last straw for me was when motioninJoy's WEBSITE went down for 2 days and I couldn't play anything using my controller for that time.

Dude... wut?

o_O

PowerYoga
01-31-2012, 02:27 PM
Dude... wut?

o_O

turn off your interwebs and see if your motion in joy works. It's a common problem. You might have basic functionality but you lose the analog sticks and vibration (if anything even used it) if you find a version that has offline mode enabled. The motioninjoy site/server had an outage back in october and I couldn't play anything using the controller.

Dankk
01-31-2012, 02:29 PM
turn off your interwebs and see if your motion in joy works. It's a common problem. You might have basic functionality but you lose the analog sticks and vibration (if anything even used it) if you find a version that has offline mode enabled. The motioninjoy site/server had an outage back in october and I couldn't play anything using the controller.

I'm just saying, that's ridiculous that Motionjoy requires an internet connection in order to work properly. It's just a simple utility that allows you to use a Playstation gamepad on PC, isn't it?

I thought always-online video game DRM was bad, but wow, this is a whole new level of derp.

RPD
01-31-2012, 02:33 PM
Eh works for all my needs.. haven't tried to uninstall anything yet.. Guess I will never try to!

But it's not like I have any other devices attempting to use Blue Tooth. I just use the USB cable it came with to connect.

Clinkster
01-31-2012, 04:49 PM

I started using one for Sonic Generations and BF3 jets. Big fan.

zinfamous
01-31-2012, 04:57 PM
http://www.motioninjoy.com/download

Only thing is, you have to restart windows and start in the mode where you can install any drivers. Trust me, it wont work, even if you say you trust it.

beware, beware, beware of this piece of junk software.

Red Storm
01-31-2012, 04:58 PM
I have two wired Xbox 360 controllers I've used for some 3 player local Trine co-op. A lot of ports seem to support it by default, so I would go that way honestly (I did try to get a friend's PS3 controller working but had no luck).

PowerYoga
01-31-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm just saying, that's ridiculous that Motionjoy requires an internet connection in order to work properly. It's just a simple utility that allows you to use a Playstation gamepad on PC, isn't it?

I thought always-online video game DRM was bad, but wow, this is a whole new level of derp.

yeah it really is. I saw it as DRM and when I realized it I installed that piece of shit immediately... or tried to. Think there's still residual crap inside my computer because I see the driver all the time.

zinfamous
01-31-2012, 05:20 PM
yeah it really is. I saw it as DRM and when I realized it I installed that piece of shit immediately... or tried to. Think there's still residual crap inside my computer because I see the driver all the time.

yes, I can't get it out. it has embedded several layers of drivers all throughout the registry, and it can not be extracted.

the developer is, pure and simple--a complete asswipe. Trying to read his troubleshooting forum and the way he responds to people's issues is a lesson in what not to do as a an indy developer. Or well, how to interact with people.

badb0y
02-02-2012, 06:26 AM
I use MotionJoy too but I agree with everyone else if your going to buy a controller anyways might as well get the Xbox 360 controller.

-Slacker-
02-02-2012, 06:36 AM
If it doesn't work you can always use an input emulation software like xpadder. Then it's guaranteed to work, but the analog stick you use for camera padding probably won't be as smooth without a lot of tweaking.

tokie
02-02-2012, 08:43 AM
I use motioninjoy with no problems. I don't know what the guy talking about requiring an Internet connection is saying. It works fine offline.

I didn't get an Xbox controller because the dpad sucks.

PowerYoga
02-02-2012, 11:02 AM
I use motioninjoy with no problems. I don't know what the guy talking about requiring an Internet connection is saying. It works fine offline.

I didn't get an Xbox controller because the dpad sucks.

http://forums.**************************.php?f=15&t=837
http://forums.**************************.php?f=66&t=2269

You probably have the offline version or your internet never went down. Many people have the same problem. Either way, analog sticks and rumble don't work. No reason not to make it work in offline mode, just the creator is a douchebag and that's all.

The fact remains the software is like intrusive spyware and its difficult to fully remove it. I used to think "this software is pretty great, lets me use my ps3 controller on my computer and all I need to do is start up a program" but then their site went down. Then got an xbox controller and immediately realized why people say its so great. I plugged it in and it just worked, rumble and everything.

and yeah the dpad sucks on the xbox controller but you don't use that much anymore unless all you play are fighting games.

arredondo
02-02-2012, 03:32 PM
To the OP.... MotionJoy is fantastic. I use it to play any and all d-pad games on my PC (Win7 64-bit) with a DualShock 3. I've set it up properly, so it is a simple matter of hitting the Home button to turn on the DS3 and then clicking one button in the program itself and it emulates the X360 pad perfectly in every game. It takes five seconds and only needs to be done when you reset the computer. So if I am simply using it to emulate the 360 pad, why not use the 360 pad itself?

- Bluetooth compatibility (including full rumble support) means that fumbling with batteries is not necessary like it is for mere wireless pads.

- The X360 d-pad is an abomination, one of the worst in the history of gaming. There are plenty of cool games that use the d-pad, like fighting games, 2D scrollers, shoot em ups, various arcade genres, etc., so being able to use the DS3's infinitely better d-pad is wonderful.

- I prefer the DS3's ergonomics. The classic design continues to feel great.

- Analog sticks on the DS3 have a smaller "throw" range before activation than the 360 sticks. This means that if you barely move the DS3's analogs, it registers in game earlier which allows me more precision with subtle inputs.

The main negative is that PC games that show pad buttons on screen display X360 buttons and often have no option to display DS3 buttons. This can be a bit confusing at first (360's 'X' is the 'O' button on the DS3), but you get used to it.

Motionjoy works offline just fine. Also, I have no spyware on my computer as a result of using it for at least three months. I have multiple spyware detectors, I paid for an excellent virus protector and also have run Malwarebytes a few times. No traces of anything strange at all.

ImpulsE69
02-02-2012, 03:44 PM
I use x360ce with a PS2 controller. You just have to configure it once, then copy the files into whatever game you are wanting to use it with. Works great with no headaches.

Jadow
02-02-2012, 03:45 PM
The D-Pad on the Xbox 360 controller totally sucks. It's horrible for old school console emulation.

I wonder how the Logitech F310 is

Soundmanred
02-02-2012, 03:48 PM
MotionJoy is fantastic..
Wait until you try to uninstall it or want to use other BT devices.
Good luck!

PowerYoga
02-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Motionjoy works offline just fine. Also, I have no spyware on my computer as a result of using it for at least three months. I have multiple spyware detectors, I paid for an excellent virus protector and also have run Malwarebytes a few times. No traces of anything strange at all.

I don't want to get into personal preferences on how the controller feels and how bad the xbox dpad is. That's not the point of the thread.

Motionjoy doesn't download spyware or malware. It IS the malware because you can't remove it completely and it screws up your drivers for future controllers and torrents. And if you got the offline working complete with rumble and analog sticks: congratulations, you have accomplished what 90% of the motionjoy users can't.

Also I needed to start the program twice every time I turn off the computer. First time to get the controller to get recognized, second time to get analog and rumble features. Don't know why, but others have problems and this was their solution. Maybe you have a better idea, newer drivers or some other guy's hack. Dunno.

Believe me, I want to enjoy this program but its not worth the hassle. When I want to use the xbox controller I just press the middle button and I'm on my merry way. No programs to run, no checking my internet connection.

zinfamous
02-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Wait until you try to uninstall it or want to use other BT devices.
Good luck!

lol, this.

and yes--it's not that MIJ installs separate malware or spyware, it's that it behaves exactly like malware and spyware would. Much like Realplayer.

On top of that, the developer is a complete douchenoggin with no desire to make his software user-friendly, much less free of the trojan-like architecture. This might be because he has zero interpersonal skills, as evidenced by his forum posts.

Gothgar
02-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Works fine for me, but I dont use any other BT devices so... /shrug

Is there an alternative to get a PS3 controller to work?

PowerYoga
02-03-2012, 10:31 AM
unless sony actually decides to release a driver (aka when hell freezes over) not likely. All the drivers I found while motionjoy's site was down were different versions of motionjoy or didn't work.

If you HAVE to have a ps3 controller you really have no choice. I opted to get another controller rather than use that piece of crap malware. I also used a dualshock 2 with USB adapter + joy2key in the mean time.

railven
02-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Works fine for me, but I dont use any other BT devices so... /shrug

Is there an alternative to get a PS3 controller to work?

Pretty much, except I occassionaly sync ny phone when I can't find my USB cable for data migration.

Not sure how deep this goes into the registry, but I can't recall a single issue removing the software.

I alternative between a PS3 or Xbox360 wired, depending which one is closest to the PC at the time.

lavaheadache
02-03-2012, 11:42 AM
whoops

arredondo
02-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Pretty much, except I occassionaly sync ny phone when I can't find my USB cable for data migration.

Not sure how deep this goes into the registry, but I can't recall a single issue removing the software.

I alternative between a PS3 or Xbox360 wired, depending which one is closest to the PC at the time.

Exactly right - no issues. I'm using the latest drivers.

When I built a new rig a few months ago, my old one was given to the family. MotionJoy was removed - no issues at all. I am enjoying this great program on my new machine - no issues at all.

It's one of the best must-have apps for a serious gamer who doesn't want to deal with the X360 pad's native issues and loves Bluetooth control with the Dual Shock 3.

PowerYoga
02-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Exactly right - no issues. I'm using the latest drivers.

When I built a new rig a few months ago, my old one was given to the family. MotionJoy was removed - no issues at all. I am enjoying this great program on my new machine - no issues at all.

It's one of the best must-have apps for a serious gamer who doesn't want to deal with the X360 pad's native issues and loves Bluetooth control with the Dual Shock 3.

You like the DS3, we get it. I like it too and own a ps3. Good for you. Again this topic is not about your controller preference and why xbox 360 controller suck.

I tried removing MIJ but when I installed the xbox360 controller the driver came up repeatedly despite my best attempts to manually delete it. It ended up screwing around with every peripheral I had, including the xbox controller. The driver kept coming back via auto-detect even though I had tried to manual remove it from device manager numerous times and made sure the uninstall was clean. I didn't know where the .sys files were or i'd have nuked it from orbit. As I speak, the drivers are STILL THERE.

Maybe the developer eventually gave in and enabled full driver support (analog + rumble) for those who don't have a constant internet connection after the outage fiasco last year. If you have a reference to MIJ's forum post about when this was patched in please link it for those interested. Otherwise I stand by my original point of when I used it: No internet no driver support.

It's great that you have no problems with it but I'm throwing cautions out there for anybody who isn't as lucky.

CountZero
02-03-2012, 04:12 PM
I use the wired version of this (the f510) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104403 and it is excellent. Keys map to all the games with xbox control support but if you prefer the ps3 form factor it is basically a dual shock. Can't speak on the wireless part but gets good reviews.

IlllI
02-03-2012, 04:21 PM
but the 360 "dongle" is ginormous compared to a tiny bt dongle

Tweak155
02-03-2012, 04:43 PM
You like the DS3, we get it. I like it too and own a ps3. Good for you. Again this topic is not about your controller preference and why xbox 360 controller suck.

I tried removing MIJ but when I installed the xbox360 controller the driver came up repeatedly despite my best attempts to manually delete it. It ended up screwing around with every peripheral I had, including the xbox controller. The driver kept coming back via auto-detect even though I had tried to manual remove it from device manager numerous times and made sure the uninstall was clean. I didn't know where the .sys files were or i'd have nuked it from orbit. As I speak, the drivers are STILL THERE.

Maybe the developer eventually gave in and enabled full driver support (analog + rumble) for those who don't have a constant internet connection after the outage fiasco last year. If you have a reference to MIJ's forum post about when this was patched in please link it for those interested. Otherwise I stand by my original point of when I used it: No internet no driver support.

It's great that you have no problems with it but I'm throwing cautions out there for anybody who isn't as lucky.

Not sure how recently you've tried it, but I'm in the same boat as the person you're quoting. I use MotionJoy and I have support for analog and rumble. Granted I had to figure out how to get it working - it works.

I'm fine with the PS3 controller for classic emulation. New games such as Bastion will not recognize the PS3 controller, but natively recognize the X360 controller. So depends on your market is my suggestion. I like the D-Pad of the PS3 so it gets my vote. Not to mention it is smaller and I had an extra one I yanked from my PS3 that has no good multiplayer games over the 360 (I take a 360 game over ps3).

PowerYoga
02-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Not sure how recently you've tried it, but I'm in the same boat as the person you're quoting. I use MotionJoy and I have support for analog and rumble. Granted I had to figure out how to get it working - it works.

There was an offline version which supports the usage of the controller but didn't give you analog and rumble. If he released a new version which added those features to offline mode then great for people who use it. Otherwise the old problem is if you lose connection you lose analog and rumble.

I used to use MIJ up until the site went down around (october~ish or earlier? Not too sure).

arredondo
02-03-2012, 07:39 PM
What you don't get is that the OP asked about DS3 support and we have all kinds of ridiculous statements regarding MJ. I'm adding clarity, including why it is silly to say he should simply use the 360 controller if he's obviously looking for a DS3 solution.

A - Motion Joy works, and works extremely well. That much some of us have made clear to counter some of the crazy claims made here.

B - Asking people to use the 360 controller without admitting that the d-pad is beyond horrible is like recommending a car and not telling them it has no power steering. Sure it technically works, but at least they should know what kind of gimped experience they are in for.

So don't fuss at me. If you want this DS3 thread not include comments on the X360 pad, then tell those who recommend the X360 pad not to bring it up or post up full disclosure about its shortcomings (battery hassles, poor d-pad, etc.) compared to the DS3.

KMFJD
02-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Just bought a Logitech f310, would have went for the xbox360 controller but none where available unless i was willing to drive 140km's

/FiFa2012

zinfamous
02-03-2012, 07:48 PM
What you don't get is that the OP asked about DS3 support and we have all kinds of ridiculous statements regarding MJ. I'm adding clarity, including why it is silly to say he should simply use the 360 controller if he's obviously looking for a DS3 solution.

A - Motion Joy works, and works extremely well. That much some of us have made clear to counter some of the crazy claims made here.

B - Asking people to use the 360 controller without admitting that the d-pad is beyond horrible is like recommending a car and not telling them it has no power steering. Sure it technically works, but at least they should know what kind of gimped experience they are in for.

So don't fuss at me. If you want this DS3 thread not include comments on the X360 pad, then tell those who recommend the X360 pad not to bring it up or post up full disclosure about its shortcomings (battery hassles, poor d-pad, etc.) compared to the DS3.

you must be the beleaguered developer of MIJ, as you seem to be the only user that thinks it isn't complete garbage.

:D

also, what is DS3? do you mean PS3?

pw38
02-03-2012, 10:39 PM

Look, I've used a wired 360 pad for the past few years and have never had any issues with the dpad. Not one. Ever. The DS3 has the superior dpad but man you're making waaaaaay too big a deal over it. Also, there really aren't many battery issues that I'm aware of. I used to use the wireless pad when I had my 360 and never had issues. I charged it regularly, didn't try to play from 100 feet away, and kept it clean. Same with my DS3 for my PS3.

This obviously comes down to personal taste and you obviously like the DS3 but jeez we get it, no need to bring it up in every post you make. Also, have you tried the Dpad on the new 360 controller? It's much improved over the older one from a responsiveness standpoint and this is coming from someone who's never had an issue with the original version.

also, what is DS3? do you mean PS3?

Dualshock 3.

Bryf50
02-03-2012, 10:52 PM
I use Motioninjoy with my laptop. Never had a problem. My bluetooth mouse still works fine and my phone connects just like it always did. There is a way to unload and load the bluetooth driver right in the software.

arredondo
02-03-2012, 11:31 PM
The only thing the new 360 pad did was to allow you to optionally raise it up a tad so your thumb won't be damaged when playing hard core fighters because of the stupid plastic rim they decided to put around it. The d-pad itself remains incredibly stiff, making diagonals in particular a chore to execute in a pinch.

If you don't want the truth laid out about the X360 controller, people need to stop bringing it up to begin with in a DS3 thread and there'd be nothing to discuss.

PowerYoga
02-06-2012, 12:01 PM
The only thing the new 360 pad did was to allow you to optionally raise it up a tad so your thumb won't be damaged when playing hard core fighters because of the stupid plastic rim they decided to put around it. The d-pad itself remains incredibly stiff, making diagonals in particular a chore to execute in a pinch.

If you don't want the truth laid out about the X360 controller, people need to stop bringing it up to begin with in a DS3 thread and there'd be nothing to discuss.

op asked about about how good/easy it is to get DS3 working like the DS2, we tell him how bad the software is and how he can use an alternative. You come in shouting about how the xbox360 controller is crap because of the dpad. Irrelevant as that's not the topic of discussion until you brought it in.

We get it. You don't like the xbox controller. Don't need to remind us every post.

So lets focus your attention on the software MIJ, and you've already stated it works for you. Great. Now how have you gotten yours to work offline with rumble and analog enabled? What version are you using? Because last time I checked (mind you this is like 3-4 months ago) they didn't have a release that had rumble and analog working while offline. "working extremely well" is not something I'd ever use to describe MIJ, as even when it was working for me it required two things:

1) internet connection
2) need to open up the MIJ tool (forgot the name) twice. Once to enable the driver and a second time to enable analog.

So this is what I got after using the instructions from the installer. You got a better set of instructions and how to use it other than the holier-than-thou attitude of "it just works"? Post your resources and guides so you can help others.

I've posted stuff from the actual MIJ forums about people having problems, so its obviously not just me.

pciebiera
02-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Not trying to revive a thread this old, but I made a tool that replaces DS3_Tool.exe, it solves the offline issues and more.

Compatible with MIJ 0.7.1001

http://betterds3.ciebiera.net

Soundmanred
02-10-2013, 03:25 PM
I went to the Motionjoy forums to see if there had been any updates or improvements, and all the posts are spam (and russian spam).
LOL, what a joke.

Zodiark1593
02-10-2013, 03:53 PM
You can get a $5 bluetooth dongle to get the ps3 wireless to work, but that's not the point.

Listen to this guy. I had both, tried both. MotioninJoy NEEDS internet connection to even work. Without it your PS3 controller is a piece of junk for computer games. The support is VERY lacking and the joke of an "offline mode" has NO analog control. No thumbsticks, no rumble. The last straw for me was when motioninJoy's WEBSITE went down for 2 days and I couldn't play anything using my controller for that time.

Get the xbox 360 controller and some rechargeable batteries. You will not regret it. The support is superior... and I don't even have a xbox360. Use the ps3 controller for ps3.

Edit: Impossible to remove motioninJoy's drivers. It interferes with a lot of stuff, including other gaming controllers and my logitech mouse driver.
Not true. It does have a Local only mode. Though for awhile, I didn't know this myself, and had the web page stored locally which worked fine as well.

Not sure whether or not I got lucky, but I haven't had any sort of issues getting motioninjoy configured and playing nicely with my emulators, racing games and such. The biggest nuisance is the fact that unplugging the controller starts up the PS3 all the way in the living room.

I will say that the software is rather undeveloped, though as I loathe the x360 controller layout myself, I find it the best option for myself.

DucatiMonster696
02-10-2013, 05:01 PM
Just get a logitech F510 if you are going to be using a PS style controller.

Newbian
02-10-2013, 05:13 PM

Do this as I never could get used to playstation controllers.

Their layout / different button names always were annoying.

pciebiera
02-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Not true. It does have a Local only mode. Though for awhile, I didn't know this myself, and had the web page stored locally which worked fine as well.

Not sure whether or not I got lucky, but I haven't had any sort of issues getting motioninjoy configured and playing nicely with my emulators, racing games and such. The biggest nuisance is the fact that unplugging the controller starts up the PS3 all the way in the living room.

I will say that the software is rather undeveloped, though as I loathe the x360 controller layout myself, I find it the best option for myself.

If unplugging the PS3 controller from USB causes your PS3 to start up, chances are it's still paired to your PS3. If you don't use bluetooth for the controller on the PC, you can click the disconnect button before unplugging the controller from USB. This will prevent the controller from connecting to its paired bluetooth master, in your case, the PS3.

Sureshot324
02-10-2013, 09:31 PM
beware, beware, beware of this piece of junk software.

I'm actually really surprised that after all this time no one has made anything better than that POS software. The PS3 has been out for 6+ years now.

DucatiMonster696
02-10-2013, 10:16 PM
I'm actually really surprised that after all this time no one has made anything better than that POS software. The PS3 has been out for 6+ years now.

Maybe because there are already better alternatives around like the XBOX controller or Logitech's own brand of controls which work with both Xinput and DirectX and come in both wired and wireless versions with rumble features, etc all in the same PS controller design format.

Sink41
02-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Motion in joy worked fine for me until my internet went down, offline mode simply brought up a broken webpage and i had no way to go online to fix it. Couldn't get the controller to connect through bluetooth, it did work while connected through usb but like others have said no analogue.

smackababy
02-10-2013, 11:34 PM

The truth is the pad isn't that bad. You can't perform diagonals with it very good? Sounds like an execution error to me. You also talk about "serious" gamers. Now the only type of games I can think of that require such precision execution are fighting games and a "serious" fighting game player would buy an arcade stick. Also, I don't know what plastic rim you're talking about them lowering. I have an original wired 360 controller from a launch Xbox360 and a new controller from a Slim model. The pads are identical. There was a controller released that allowed you to rotate the pad to lower the plastic in the diagonal and it functioned more like the "buttons" of a PS pad.

TheKub
02-11-2013, 07:36 AM
I've never had complaints about the 360 Dpad, though Im 98% KB&M.

ponyo
02-11-2013, 08:06 AM
Motionjoy should be rated as a virus or malware. Like others mentioned, it's difficult to uninstall and completely remove. I had all kinds of problems trying to uninstall the drivers after I bought the wired Xbox360 controller. Motionjoy caused my PC to lockup during games that required the rumble after I switched to the Xbox controller because the drivers kept reinstalling itself even after I unstalled and removed it. Motionjoy is not worth the hassle.

pciebiera
02-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Motion in joy worked fine for me until my internet went down, offline mode simply brought up a broken webpage and i had no way to go online to fix it. Couldn't get the controller to connect through bluetooth, it did work while connected through usb but like others have said no analogue.

The tool I made is fully offline, and supports all analog controls, regardless of USB or bluetooth. It also supports tilt and analog button presses (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square, DPad, L1, R1, L2, R2) assuming you connect them to analog accepting mappings. Like the analog of the XInput's triggers map to DS3's L2 and R2 perfectly. Maybe you should give it a try. http://betterds3.ciebiera.net

Fallen Kell
02-12-2013, 01:00 PM
The tool I made is fully offline, and supports all analog controls, regardless of USB or bluetooth. It also supports tilt and analog button presses (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square, DPad, L1, R1, L2, R2) assuming you connect them to analog accepting mappings. Like the analog of the XInput's triggers map to DS3's L2 and R2 perfectly. Maybe you should give it a try. http://betterds3.ciebiera.net

It isn't an issue so much of the fact that offline works with your tool, it is the fact that the motionjoy drivers are still needed at all since as has been said numerous times that they completely override the bluetooth stack and do not properly uninstall (leaving said bluetooth stack in place and preventing all other bluetooth devices from working until you either wipe the computer and re-install or if you are lucky still have a restore point that you can restore back to (and then try and figure out all the other things that now need to be re-installed since rolling back to the restore point)).

Red Storm
02-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Wired 360 controller.

/thread

SunnyD
02-12-2013, 01:47 PM
$5 to make an XBox controller work natively without hassle in windows?

Orrrr this. :hmm:

kalrith
02-12-2013, 02:33 PM
$5 to make an XBox controller work natively without hassle in windows?

Orrrr this. :hmm:

Since I have two PS3 controllers and zero XBOX controllers, the cost is quite different for me. It's not astronomical, but if I can make what I already have work, then I would like to. I also already have a USB BT receiver.

I don't use BT for anything on my gaming PC. Does that make the BT stack issue moot?

zinfamous
02-12-2013, 02:43 PM
Motionjoy should be rated as a virus or malware. Like others mentioned, it's difficult to uninstall and completely remove. I had all kinds of problems trying to uninstall the drivers after I bought the wired Xbox360 controller. Motionjoy caused my PC to lockup during games that required the rumble after I switched to the Xbox controller because the drivers kept reinstalling itself even after I unstalled and removed it. Motionjoy is not worth the hassle.

This. It's worse than Realplayer. At least you can "easily" uninstall Realplayer.

SunnyD
02-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Since I have two PS3 controllers and zero XBOX controllers, the cost is quite different for me. It's not astronomical, but if I can make what I already have work, then I would like to. I also already have a USB BT receiver.

I don't use BT for anything on my gaming PC. Does that make the BT stack issue moot?

I apologize for your (misguided?) choices in life. :)

I kid.

PowerYoga
02-12-2013, 04:13 PM

Exactly the problem I had. Eventually I had to registry dive to remove keys as well as manually remove a whole bunch of things. The drivers conflict with all your game controller drivers and fucks everything up even if you "uninstalled" this pos.

Got a xbox360 controller, never bother with this piece of shit again.

And nobody develops for the ps3 controller on the PC because of SONY refuses to release drivers for the controller so its all 3rd party hacks that don't work particularly well, especially with the analog and vibrations.

Get xbox 360 controller, problem solved. The $50 you spend on 2 controllers is more than worth the amount of grief and hassel you'll have with this malware.

zokudu
02-12-2013, 05:08 PM
I used Motionjoy for a good long while because I play FFXI and only had a PS3. Then I started having a rash of BSODs that I eventually traced back to Motionjoy. Wiped and Reinstalled and bought a wired 360 pad. Much happier now.

kalrith
02-13-2013, 09:46 AM
If I have time this weekend, I'll try Motionjoy and pciebiera's solution. I plan to do a format reload in the near future, so this will give me a chance to try it out with little risk.

Diceman2037
05-08-2013, 05:08 PM
there is better DS3 software available

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

blackened23
05-08-2013, 05:54 PM
I can't fathom why anyone would use that piece of junk on the PC. The xbox 360 controller is so, so much more comfortable.

Dankk
05-08-2013, 06:19 PM
I can't fathom why anyone would use that piece of junk on the PC. The xbox 360 controller is so, so much more comfortable.

I know, right? Apparently there are some people who actually think Sony's outdated controller design is superior to Xbox's. D:

mmntech
05-08-2013, 07:03 PM
I know, right? Apparently there are some people who actually think Sony's outdated controller design is superior to Xbox's. D:

Not a heck of a lot of difference between the Dual Shock and the 360 controller. Button layout is identical. They just swapped the D-Pad and left stick. All boils down to the ergonomics, and which you prefer.

I actually like the PS3 controller. It's lighter and not quite as chunky as the 360 controller. That said, I use the 360 controller on my PC. I never could get the PS3 one to work on my PC.

slpnshot
05-08-2013, 07:04 PM

Is there a difference between the '360 for Windows' controller and a regular 360 controller? Are the controllers just plug and play for PC games or will I need a separate driver?

zinfamous
05-08-2013, 07:06 PM

some people don't want to drop the money if they already have a PS3 gamepad, and probably play 90% or more of their PC games without a gamepad.

ime though, after trying to get a PS3 pad to work via shithole MiJ software, the $20-30 microsoft gamepad is well worth the lack of frustration. and yes, it is the better device from any way you look at it.

zinfamous
05-08-2013, 07:07 PM
Is there a difference between the '360 for Windows' controller and a regular 360 controller? Are the controllers just plug and play for PC games or will I need a separate driver?

no, yes, and no/yes (the driver is free if your game pad does not install automatically)

KeithTalent
05-08-2013, 07:28 PM

Completely disagree. Can't stand the Xbox controller; I enjoyed the PS3 far more and found it a lot more comfortable.

KT

slpnshot
05-08-2013, 08:00 PM
no, yes, and no/yes (the driver is free if your game pad does not install automatically)

K thanks for the reply. Shame that the wireless integration requires an additional adapter to read on the pc. Guess I'll just get the wired version.