PDA

View Full Version : So I'm buying a used car from a private owner

PHiuR
12-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Hi Guys,

Haven't been on ATOT for a VERY long time... Hopefully someone can help me out here.

So I'm buying a used car from a private seller and I gave him my concern of not having a plate to take the car back with me before I register it.

He came up with the idea of having his friend who is a car dealer do the transition for us where his friend will handle the paper work and get me a set of plates for when I meet him and give him the cash for the car + keys (and hopefully a set of license plates).

He wants me to send over a copy of my drivers license and insurance card (i insured the car already from the vin number that he provided me) He says his friend will handle the title work and everything.

I'm not giving him any money at this point until I meet with him later this week. He just wants a copy of my license and proof of insurance so he can get the ball rolling on this title transfer?

I just want to check to see if there is anything sketchy he can do with my license and proof of insurance of the car that he's selling me.

I'm in New York State.

Thanks ahead of time.
PHiuR

FoBoT
12-13-2011, 08:11 PM
we have a car forum now, sure you don't want this moved over there? the motorheads might not see it here

JulesMaximus
12-13-2011, 08:14 PM
All your questions can be answered here.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/

PHiuR
12-13-2011, 08:15 PM
FoBoT, nice to see that you're still around. If you can, may you please move it over to the car forum for me? I didn't know that there was one.

FoBoT
12-13-2011, 08:24 PM
i think this is what you want

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/register.htm#temporary

Can I get a temporary registration to move a vehicle within NYS or to another state?

Intrastate In-Transit Permit -- The permit is valid for 30 days and allows you to transport a vehicle from one location in NYS to another location in NYS. For example, you need an intrastate in-transit permit if you buy a vehicle from a seller in another part of NYS and you need to transport the vehicle to your home before you register it. The fee is $12.50.

herm0016
12-13-2011, 08:49 PM
most states have a grace period from the sign over date on the title or temp tags as described above. Ours is 15 days i believe.

PHiuR
12-13-2011, 08:52 PM
I decided that I'm going to just give him the cash for the title + car + keys.

I'll drive without a plate to the DMV right after and register the car.

I'm a little sketchy because it's a 95' and the car only has 36000 miless... Also the title is in his neighbors name? Apparently his neighbor passed away about a year ago and he acquired this... I'm going to make sure his neighbors address on the Title is actually near his house.

Ferzerp
12-13-2011, 09:23 PM
Yeah, no....

(in other words, don't try to buy this car)

satyajitmenon
12-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Umm, why didn't he transfer the title into his name?

woodie1
12-13-2011, 09:53 PM
I'm a little sketchy because it's a 95' and the car only has 36000 miless... Also the title is in his neighbors name? Apparently his neighbor passed away about a year ago and he acquired this... I'm going to make sure his neighbors address on the Title is actually near his house.

RED Flag on the play. Check with your DMV and make sure the car isn't stolen before you lay out any cash.

PHiuR
12-13-2011, 09:55 PM
not sure why he didn't transfer it... too lazy? dead guy already?

i test drove it and it drove really well for a 95' in 11' also, the inside of the car was in great shape so it seems sort of legit that it only has 36k.

HarryLui
12-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Is the title signed? What's the date on it?

Dead man's title... it sounds very fishy.

Personally, I wouldn't do it until the title is in his name.

herm0016
12-13-2011, 10:07 PM
at least call a police officer for a vin check when you buy the car. they will run the vin in their database. This is required in Wyoming when a vehicle changes hands private party or across state lines.

Vetterin
12-14-2011, 08:40 AM
NO ONE can sell a car that THEY do not have title to! "Run Forest..........Run"!

JCH13
12-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Yeah... Mr. Neighbor Man might be well-intentioned, but he cannot sell the vehicle if he doesn't own it. If his name is not on the title, he likely doesn't own it. Whomever the car was willed to, or the estate executor, can sell the vehicle. This is assuming that the guy actually died. I would also ask for a death certificate.

sniperruff
12-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Here's how I did it:

1) Seller and I go to DMV
2) Take off old plates at DMV parking lot
3) Go in, wait 3 hours to transfer title and get new plates
4) Seller drops off old plates
5) Put new plates on and buy seller lunch for his/her time (that's what I would do)

Or you can park the car in a private driveway and take the subway to the DMV

But yes, I would NEVER buy a car from someone without a title in his name

SpatiallyAware
12-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Legally he shouldn't do this. Technically it can be done.

The reason he didn't transfer it is probably to avoid paying registration taxes on a car he plans to resell - also most states will make you buy a dealer's license if you buy/sell more than 5 or so cars per year

I don't like dealing with transactions like this, usually the 'seller' section is already signed and you fill in the buyer section. It will go through the tag office/dmv, but I would imagine you'd have little recourse if the dead guy's daughter tried to claim rights to the car - since you bought it from him after he died it's pretty clear there was something odd going on.

Zargon
12-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Legally he shouldn't do this. Technically it can be done.

The reason he didn't transfer it is probably to avoid paying registration taxes on a car he plans to resell - also most states will make you buy a dealer's license if you buy/sell more than 5 or so cars per year

I don't like dealing with transactions like this, usually the 'seller' section is already signed and you fill in the buyer section. It will go through the tag office/dmv, but I would imagine you'd have little recourse if the dead guy's daughter tried to claim rights to the car - since you bought it from him after he died it's pretty clear there was something odd going on.

this.

been there, done that. not with a dead guy though.

friend A sells truck to friend b. friend a's plates are still good for 6+ months, and lets friend b not bother to retitle yet. friend a merely signed the title and handed it over.

I was friend c, friend b dated the title, friend c signed it, and transfered it to their name.

sniperruff
12-14-2011, 01:23 PM
this.

been there, done that. not with a dead guy though.

friend A sells truck to friend b. friend a's plates are still good for 6+ months, and lets friend b not bother to retitle yet. friend a merely signed the title and handed it over.

I was friend c, friend b dated the title, friend c signed it, and transfered it to their name.

You don't pay any tax if the owner signs it over as "gift" in NY