PDA

View Full Version : What can you do with a Poli Sci major?

txrandom
04-09-2007, 10:52 PM
I've always been into history long before computers. But since I didn't think I've ever get a decent job from majoring in history, I decided to go for a computer science degree, which I like just as much.

If I would of went history, I probably would of switched to poli sci because I like politics. But what exactly can you do with a poli sci degree besides law school and trying to pursue a political goal (if you have lots of money).

ScottFern
04-09-2007, 10:53 PM
I got my Poli Sci degree and now I am working entry level IT making less than 30k. :thumbup:

No honestly though anything after a poli sci degree is going to require more schooling. Masters, PhD, or law school. Personally if I had to pick a given field I would take International Relations graduate program at University of Chicago.

So
04-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Topic Title: What can you do with a Poli Sci major?
Go hungry at night.

Ronstang
04-09-2007, 11:02 PM
There seem to be a lot of new Starbucks opening up all over the place. Sounds like job security to me.

Estrella
04-09-2007, 11:04 PM
you can always marry a rich chick

2Xtreme21
04-09-2007, 11:05 PM
I was a polysci major for 2 years-- I realized after the numerous political theories and ideologies I "learned" (read: in one ear, out the other) that I'd probably just end up the smartest burger flipper at the nearest McD's if I didn't get out of it. With that said, I switched to IT, and I already have a job in the field.

ethebubbeth
04-09-2007, 11:10 PM
<sarcasm> flip burgers? </sarcasm>

Most of what you would do with a political science degree, as stated by ScottFern, would involve continuing education.

ChaoZ
04-09-2007, 11:17 PM
Become a lobbyist?

Corporate Thug
04-09-2007, 11:30 PM
go to law school

really, thats all.

fire400
04-09-2007, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by: ethebubbeth

Most of what you would do with a political science degree, as stated by ScottFern, would involve continuing education.

Originally posted by: So

Go hungry at night.

Originally posted by: Estrella

are you kids stupid?
... you guys are DISSERS.
I have to offer my fair share as well, let me first say:

I'll be honest man. As much as I love politics, I "hate" writing the fvckin' papers for social studies related courses. Reading the shi_ is so damn interesting. But dude, writing about them, good hell, our instructors might as well have us cut out newspaper articles to turn in for our assignments -

here's my play:

Professor: Where's your paper?
fire400: Right in front of you.
Professor: That's a clip from Times Magazine?
fire400: Are you saying this is plaj-
Professor: Yes, yes it is.
fire400: You expect me to live my life like this?
Professor: I expect you to do your homework so you can work your way upto the exam and pass my class. Thus you get credit.
fire400: That's it?
Professor: Did you pay for this class?
fire400: Full-ride.
Professor: Then you're wasting tax-payer money.
fire400: It's government money, no longer the citizens' money.
Professor: Where did the money come from?
fire400: Oil.
Professor: Who's fighting for the oil?
fire400: Our troops.
Professor: They are your brothers and sisters, dedicated leaders who sacrifice every day of their lives.
fire400: Are you going to pass me?
Professor: Get your face out of my office.
fire400: I worked hard to cut this article out. Not to mention how hard it took to find it.
Professor: Look me in the eye. You call that hard work?
fire400: I took the time to read it.
Professor: Read the syllabus one more time.
fire400: I threw it away before the first day of class ended.
Professor: You are a discrace to this country, get your rollers out of my office.
fire400: This school sucks.
Professor: Patience, child, I will see you taking this course over again next semester should you decide that your future is important.
fire400: See ya.

anyway, with over 500,000 public offices, you are well competing against over 100,000 people who commute to work everyday, and you, my friend, have a college degree, right? get into a private office, top secret stuff, and your job will be more worth while. the stakes are high, but when you're gambling your career, you've got everything to gain, and nothing to lose, just so long you don't go to bars every night and don't hang out with low life guys who cheat on their wives.

eat your heart out, finish what you started if you haven't already done so.

http://www.apsanet.org/section_74.cfm
http://www2.gsu.edu/~polaah/careers.htm
http://www.politicaljobs.net/

p.s. what did you think of my lame play?

2Xtreme21
04-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Oh I forgot! With a polysci degree you may be able to actually tolerate P&N! :)

Garet Jax
04-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by: txrandom
I've always been into history long before computers. But since I didn't think I've ever get a decent job from majoring in history, I decided to go for a computer science degree, which I like just as much.

If I would of went history, I probably would of switched to poli sci because I like politics. But what exactly can you do with a poli sci degree besides law school and trying to pursue a political goal (if you have lots of money).

You could always get a masters in Poli Sci.

gocubs2k5
04-09-2007, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by: Garet Jax

You could always get a masters in Poli Sci.

I got my undergrad degree in history, and polisci was one of my minors (german was the other). I found after graduation that I really wasn't qualified to do too much of anything, so naturally I am now in law school. It works for me.

while those who studied some kind of science/math/both may have larger earning potential right out of college, at least I can say that I really did enjoy my classes in college purely and simply because they were interesting, not tolerated them because they were necessary. that meant a great deal to me.

ballmode
04-10-2007, 12:10 AM
teach it.

IAteYourMother
04-10-2007, 12:14 AM
what can you do with a philosophy major?

Queasy
04-10-2007, 12:17 AM
Become a Mad Evil Genius Poli Scientist?

miketheidiot
04-10-2007, 12:21 AM
get an econ or business degree to go with it. It seems everyone, including myself is double majoring in polysci and something or another. (econ in my case)

SoyBoy004
04-10-2007, 01:19 AM
i graduated with a poli sci degree and got into tech sales. i'm now a sales manager after 3 years. (go figure)

jagec
04-10-2007, 01:27 AM
Teach poli sci, ace poli sci exams, and win poli sci debates.

Wreckem
04-10-2007, 01:46 AM
You will have to further your education.

Master of Public Admin/Public Policy/Public Affiars etc, and go work for a governmental agency

Master of International Affairs, and go work for a governmental agency

PHD in Poli Sci/Public Policy, teach

JD, become a lawyer

MBA, enter the biz world

Those are pretty much your five best options...

judasmachine
04-10-2007, 02:00 AM
teach political science at the local junior college.

angminas
04-10-2007, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by: fire400

This is the nicest I can possibly be while still telling the truth- you should look into getting some counseling. Seriously.

If you don't like that, consider that I erased a lot of other things I almost said, and that you asked.

fire400
04-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by: angminas

This is the nicest I can possibly be while still telling the truth- you should look into getting some counseling. Seriously.

If you don't like that, consider that I erased a lot of other things I almost said, and that you asked.

I didn't ask what you almost said. I said what did you think of it.

Professor: Why are you back?
fire400: I want an apology.
Professor: Go ahead.
fire400: Excuse me?
Professor: Excuse me...?
fire400: You deserve to give me an apology.
Professor: Leave.
fire400: I deserve what I came here for.
Professor: Get out! (throwing stapler at me)
fire400: What! I'm suing you!
Professor: I'm failing you! Get out!
fire400: Game over!
Professor: Play hard, eat fresh!
fire400: What a joke...
Professor: You're a joke. I'm calling security.
fire400: Bye.

Q
04-12-2007, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by: ethebubbeth

Originally posted by: So

Go hungry at night.

are you kids stupid?
... you guys are DISSERS.
I have to offer my fair share as well, let me first say:

I'll be honest man. As much as I love politics, I "hate" writing the fvckin' papers for social studies related courses. Reading the shi_ is so damn interesting. But dude, writing about them, good hell, our instructors might as well have us cut out newspaper articles to turn in for our assignments -

here's my play:

Professor: Where's your paper?
fire400: Right in front of you.
Professor: That's a clip from Times Magazine?
fire400: Are you saying this is plaj-
Professor: Yes, yes it is.
fire400: You expect me to live my life like this?
Professor: I expect you to do your homework so you can work your way upto the exam and pass my class. Thus you get credit.
fire400: That's it?
Professor: Did you pay for this class?
fire400: Full-ride.
Professor: Then you're wasting tax-payer money.
fire400: It's government money, no longer the citizens' money.
Professor: Where did the money come from?
fire400: Oil.
Professor: Who's fighting for the oil?
fire400: Our troops.
Professor: They are your brothers and sisters, dedicated leaders who sacrifice every day of their lives.
fire400: Are you going to pass me?
Professor: Get your face out of my office.
fire400: I worked hard to cut this article out. Not to mention how hard it took to find it.
Professor: Look me in the eye. You call that hard work?
fire400: I took the time to read it.
Professor: Read the syllabus one more time.
fire400: I threw it away before the first day of class ended.
Professor: You are a discrace to this country, get your rollers out of my office.
fire400: This school sucks.
Professor: Patience, child, I will see you taking this course over again next semester should you decide that your future is important.
fire400: See ya.

anyway, with over 500,000 public offices, you are well competing against over 100,000 people who commute to work everyday, and you, my friend, have a college degree, right? get into a private office, top secret stuff, and your job will be more worth while. the stakes are high, but when you're gambling your career, you've got everything to gain, and nothing to lose, just so long you don't go to bars every night and don't hang out with low life guys who cheat on their wives.

eat your heart out, finish what you started if you haven't already done so.

http://www.apsanet.org/section_74.cfm
http://www2.gsu.edu/~polaah/careers.htm

WTF are you talking about?

WildHorse
04-12-2007, 10:29 PM
You work shoulder - to - shoulder with the English majors sorting mail. Or maybe a job in HR, or sell real estate, or flip dem burgers, or deliver pizza

TheWart
04-12-2007, 10:37 PM
If Government is your thing, then you can do that. I am graduating this may and will be starting work in the intelligence community in the fall. So yea, you can get a real job (hist+psci major). It does depend what you focus on (I did Islam/Middle East)....one of best friends is going to law school with his psci degree (and since he got a near perfect score on the lsat, he's deciding between yale and harvard).

Basically, it depends how motivated you are. No, you are not going to get 60-70k entry level engineering position, but if it is what you like, go for it!

UNCjigga
04-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Go to law school.

thehstrybean
04-12-2007, 10:39 PM
I'm a classical history major with a minor in archaeological and linguistic anthropology.

Get a masters.

UNCjigga
04-12-2007, 10:44 PM

LOL, notice how all the hands in the graphic are white! That was so true in the 90s--but now I know a lot of Indians using poli sci to slack off for 4 years before going to law school and riding the corporate law gravy train.

herkulease
04-12-2007, 10:53 PM
government jobs, law school, teacher

dental,medical, pharmacy schools. They do not require that you have a science degree, just various science course requirements. bio, chem, ochem, physics, etc

silverpig
04-12-2007, 11:00 PM

My uncle has a masters in poly sci/econ. He married a Ph.D physical chemist and now he's "retired" :)

Jeff7
04-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Political science? Shouldn't you be good at convincing people to give you money just because? If you're not, do they even allow you to graduate from that program?

:P

Farang
04-12-2007, 11:10 PM
I am a Political Science major and there is plenty you can do. If you want to get into politics opportunities are all over the place for internships at various political organizations, if you feel particularly interested in one cause that could be rewarding. Also with this election coming up I'm sure there will be even more available.

The graduate options are better than most liberal arts majors, as you don't have to be a teacher if you master in political science or public administration.

It is one of the higher paying liberal arts degrees with a starting salary at around $32k, but if you're interested in politics the work looks to be very rewarding.

Keep in mind most people on a tech site have computer engineering or science degrees. Personally I don't understand people who get in to engineering or science fields for the money, there are plenty of other of things you can do to make a good income. It's not so much that I want to 'keep my options open' as I know for sure what a few of my options aren't: engineer, scientist, or software programmer. I'm completely fine with that

To be honest if you're going to liberal arts route the best option right now is economics. You can do everything a poli sci major can except you make $10k more and I'd say the study is more useful in understanding the world.

shopbruin
04-13-2007, 12:27 AM
i work in HR now, but i used to do legal document preparation. my bf is in law school.

it's really up to you. if you want to do work for the federal government, i'd pair it with a language that's "in demand"

Compton
04-13-2007, 02:50 AM
I know a girl with a poli sci degree who is a marketing director for a hospital. She does pretty well for herself.

otispunkmeyer
04-13-2007, 07:17 AM
become a HSE Officer (health safet and environment)

you'll get paid a big wad to basically tell people what they already know (because common sense pre-dates the HSE culture) and get hell bent on a crusade to make sure no one even loses so much as an eye lash while at work.

you'll be able to stroll into my office, telling me not to have a cup of tea at my desk incase i get burnt and the computer catches fire. you'll be able to ask me daft questions like "do you feel safe sat at your desk?" to which ill answer " i think i need a harness because i could fall off this sturdy office chair at any moment". you can ban the fridge and the kettle from the kitchen area too for fear of such accidents as letting a bottle of milk go out of date.

it's a great job. you do basically nothing, except annoy the living crap out of everyone else who is actually trying to do something worthwhile, and you'll be rewarded nicely for it. As far as i can see all you need to be skilled at is being able to link things like, ball point pens on a desk to some kind of heart related resulting injury, come up with new ever more convoluted ways to store A4 paper on a shelf and see how many hoops you can get people to jump through before they're actually allowed sit down and commence any kind of useful work.

pontifex
04-13-2007, 07:40 AM

would have

fire400
04-14-2007, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by: pontifex

would have

it's called job searching.

I met a guy in Minnesota who worked at Best Buy. My brother was like, "what are you doing with your life right now?" (irony to a BB employee, but I think my bro was more curious than making the guy look stupid), he responds, "college, been there done that... English major, now I'm working at the cash register here."

I didn't care for him though. he could be a technical writer or something, but my sister said he was too picky. my bro was like they're paying people to go to china to teach english, he said he was already considering it.

lindsay lohan sez in a movie: when one door closes, two more open.

I guess if you're not creative, then you're not going to be sounding like the X-fi card when someone asks what you do for a living. you might sound like onboard sound, "whatever everyone else does, work, what do you do?"

bozack
04-14-2007, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by: ScottFern
I got my Poli Sci degree and now I am working entry level IT making less than 30k. :thumbup:

No honestly though anything after a poli sci degree is going to require more schooling. Masters, PhD, or law school. Personally if I had to pick a given field I would take International Relations graduate program at University of Chicago.

I also work in IT with a Poli Sci degree, and everyone else I know who has one does nothing related to said degree.

You could work in DC, but for anything substantive you need more schooling, but that could be said about any BA now.

fire400
04-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by: freesia39
i work in HR now, but i used to do legal document preparation. my bf is in law school.

it's really up to you. if you want to do work for the federal government, i'd pair it with a language that's "in demand"

does HR really suck? I did my taxes with them, and fvuck, the guys that did my sh!t are so damn unprofessional, they started playing the blame game with me and each other. I was like... they had no culture of accountability at their office. man I was pist as hell. it took from early Feb. to the actual date of April for them to figure my shi*t out because of a mistake on their behalf. it came down to the point almost, where they were accusing me of not paying, I was like WTF you bitch*ES, get my fuVKen taxes out!!!

good luck, kids

Toonces
04-20-2007, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by: freesia39

does HR really suck? I did my taxes with them, and fvuck, the guys that did my sh!t are so damn unprofessional, they started playing the blame game with me and each other. I was like... they had no culture of accountability at their office. man I was pist as hell. it took from early Feb. to the actual date of April for them to figure my shi*t out because of a mistake on their behalf. it came down to the point almost, where they were accusing me of not paying, I was like WTF you bitch*ES, get my fuVKen taxes out!!!

good luck, kids

HR = Human Resources
H&R Block = Tax preparation company
What school do you go to? Damn.

I graduated with a Joint Honours BA in Poli-Sci and Peace and Conflict Studies last year. Did some time in IT support (seems common, eh?) and am now working in the tourism industry running a tram up and down a mountain... Possessions and financial wealth aren't such an overwhelming desire for me right now. I wanted a year off to enjoy while I'm still young. Living downtown Vancouver in the summer, fun (non-stressful) job, time to go out with friends, life is good. :D

I'm going to Japan this September for at least a year to teach English. Probably stay a few years until I get my Japanese proficiency up to almost fluent then come back to Canada and get a job at DFAIT or CSIS with my three languages. I figure that my 20's should be used for traveling and having fun; the career can wait.

I don't have any regrets taking my Hons. BA in Poli-Sci. Loved the material and am looking forward to the future!

Phokus
04-20-2007, 10:10 PM
political consultant?

LS20
04-20-2007, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by: otispunkmeyer

it's a great job. you do basically nothing, except annoy the living crap out of everyone else who is actually trying to do something worthwhile, and you'll be rewarded nicely for it.

truth.

HSE is sooo worthless :laugh: