PDA

View Full Version : Do you put toilet paper in the garbage or toilet?

tokie
10-04-2011, 08:12 AM
I was raised to put used toilet paper in the toilet, but recently I've come to understand that it is acceptable to put it in the garbage can instead. Supposedly this results in less wear-and-tear on plumbing.

What do you do, ATOT?

NetWareHead
10-04-2011, 08:14 AM
Usually septic systems will have you place paper in a garbage basket, since it doesn't degrade in a septic tank and can lead to clogs and all sorts of problems. There are several toilet papers available that are designed to be septic safe. If using a city sewer system, then it is no problem to flush toilet paper.

corwin
10-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Blow your nose in it=trash can
Wipe your ass with it=toilet

That is all

LookBehindYou
10-04-2011, 08:19 AM
I don't put anything in the trash except q-tips. Toilet paper goes in the toilet, anything else can go in the trash can in the kitchen. I don't want the trash can in the bathroom to fill up. Just Qtips.

glenn1
10-04-2011, 08:21 AM
I was raised to put used toilet paper in the toilet, but recently I've come to understand that it is acceptable to put it in the garbage can instead. Supposedly this results in less wear-and-tear on plumbing.

What do you do, ATOT?

Unless you're in some country where binning it is the specific practice (e.g. Peru when I was there), then it goes in the toilet, period. Doesn't matter if you used it to wipe, blew your nose in it, or removed makeup.

SandEagle
10-04-2011, 08:23 AM

That is all

what if you're a brownnoser, like the OP?

DnetMHZ
10-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Toilet Paper

tokie
10-04-2011, 08:28 AM
How can you keep bathroom from smelling stinky if you put used toilet paper in garbage?

GotIssues
10-04-2011, 08:32 AM
I know that in some places, you can't put toilet paper in the toilet, especially ones with cotton in them, because it does a number on the sewer system. However, I live in a highly populated US city, which is equipped to handle such things, therefore, it goes in the toilet.

SlitheryDee
10-04-2011, 08:33 AM
I put it in the toilet. Seems like putting it in the trash could get a bit smelly.

rasczak
10-04-2011, 08:35 AM
toilet.

ShawnD1
10-04-2011, 08:50 AM
I put it in the trash because i want my entire house to smell like shit.

AyashiKaibutsu
10-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Leaving paper you wiped your ass with laying in a trash can = fucking disgusting. Who in the world ever gave you the impression it was otherwise.

AstroManLuca
10-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Why would you leave your fecal matter laying around your house? Would you take a dump on the floor? If not, then don't put your TP in the wastebasket either.

tokie
10-04-2011, 09:05 AM
I never take dumps at home, so for me this only applies to public bathrooms.

It also saves you from worrying about clogging the toilet.

Strk
10-04-2011, 09:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK0NRgbZVmA

I wasn't aware it was even a question

Krazy4Real
10-04-2011, 09:12 AM

That is all
this

SearchMaster
10-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Leaving paper you wiped your ass with laying in a trash can = fucking disgusting. Who in the world ever gave you the impression it was otherwise.

Agreed but it's pretty common in Mexico and South America.

Anubis
10-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Agreed but it's pretty common in Mexico and South America.

this is why we call those places shit holes

Ichinisan
10-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Usually septic systems will have you place paper in a garbage basket, since it doesn't degrade in a septic tank and can lead to clogs and all sorts of problems. There are several toilet papers available that are designed to be septic safe. If using a city sewer system, then it is no problem to flush toilet paper.

What? No. Growing up, we always had a septic tank. We always flushed TP. It's made to decompose.

The practice of "binning" is probably because people come from countries where TP isn't readily available and they must use rags and other pieces of cloth. Some people probably continued to do it with TP, even though it's NOT necessary.

ShawnD1
10-04-2011, 09:33 AM
What? No. Growing up, we always had a septic tank. We always flushed TP. It's made to decompose.

The practice of "binning" is probably because people come from countries where TP isn't readily available and they must use rags and other pieces of cloth. Some people probably continued to do it with TP, even though it's NOT necessary.

Shit like this is why I'm glad to live in a good country. Stuff like internet and phones are nice, but damn I can't even imagine living in a place where I can't wipe my ass properly.

IceBergSLiM
10-04-2011, 09:35 AM
How can you keep bathroom from smelling stinky if you put used toilet paper in garbage?

You change the basket several times a day.

ShawnD1
10-04-2011, 09:39 AM
You change the basket several times a day.

Alrighty so now you have shit in the garbage cans outside your house. Now your entire lot smells like shit.

NetWareHead
10-04-2011, 09:43 AM

Growing up I always used sewer instead of septic. However, a large majority of the septic houses I did visit had a "binning" rule for used TP. Who knows why? Maybe different septic system, diff toilet paper, maybe one septic was more full than the other...

7window
10-04-2011, 09:49 AM
i have a lot of flies around the trash can

Wyndru
10-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Toilet paper -> toliet.

Tissues -> garbage can

PingSpike
10-04-2011, 09:57 AM
I put it in the trash because i want my entire house to smell like shit.

Seriously, WTF? I have a septic system and I've never heard that toilet paper can't be put in the toilet because it damages the fragile septic system which is only strong enough to absorb nasty piles of shit. And frankly, I don't care if that's true because I'd rather not have garbage cans filled with shit paper in all my bathrooms.

ShawnD1
10-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Seriously, WTF? I have a septic system and I've never heard that toilet paper can't be put in the toilet because it damages the fragile septic system which is only strong enough to absorb nasty piles of shit. And frankly, I don't care if that's true because I'd rather not have garbage cans filled with shit paper in all my bathrooms.

I think you're supposed to put some chemical in the septic tank to help break down toilet paper. I don't know about houses, but that's how it's done in RVs.

Strk
10-04-2011, 10:20 AM
I think you're supposed to put some chemical in the septic tank to help break down toilet paper. I don't know about houses, but that's how it's done in RVs.

You just buy toilet paper that says "septic safe" on the side of it. I can't think of one that doesn't say that, but there probably are some out there. But there's also Rid-X that helps break down the solids in a septic tank. There are others too, but Rid-X is probably the most well-known one (you've probably seen their commercials).

AnitaPeterson
10-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Alrighty so now you have shit in the garbage cans outside your house. Now your entire lot smells like shit.

HOAs must love this :P

RearAdmiral
10-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Sucks to be those people. Our toilets in the office fire so hard I swear the poo goes to China.

BabaBooey
10-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Toilet paper ????

I use the 3 shells like everyone else....

IceBergSLiM
10-04-2011, 10:48 AM

the paper is folded up on itself its not ask smelly as you would think. I've traveled to south america where this is done its a non issue.

Cerpin Taxt
10-04-2011, 10:54 AM
No paper. Cup & water.

AstroManLuca
10-04-2011, 10:56 AM
the paper is folded up on itself its not ask smelly as you would think. I've traveled to south america where this is done its a non issue.

there is a basket full of poop in your house.

Nintendesert
10-04-2011, 10:57 AM
If you're putting shit-used toilet paper in the trashcan to save your plumbing, why even bother taking a shit in the toilet either? Just take a big shit in a trashcan and then dump the bag on the curb.

Disgusting primitives.

lxskllr
10-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Growing up I always used sewer instead of septic. However, a large majority of the septic houses I did visit had a "binning" rule for used TP. Who knows why? Maybe different septic system, diff toilet paper, maybe one septic was more full than the other...

I'm guessing there was a time before me that paper was made differently, and it could mess up a septic system, so the practice stuck around. Either that, or some people are just stupid. I've only heard of binning paper from hillbillies. Real hillbillies, not the suburban, Camaro driving second cousins. Even they know to put paper in the toilet :^D

Imp
10-04-2011, 11:22 AM
We use to have a tenant that wiped and put it in the garbage. Eww...

In the toilet with the rest of the shit. It's toilet paper, ever get the stuff wet? It just breaks down. On the other hand, ever have a big ball that managed to develop super strength and become unbreakable (I've clogged toilets this way:))?

Baked
10-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Tree leave are much more environmental friendly.

Jeff7
10-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Sucks to be those people. Our toilets in the office fire so hard I swear the poo goes to China.
Kind of sucks when they're designed such that it becomes an accidental bidet, which can end up using water of "questionable" quality.

PingSpike
10-04-2011, 01:05 PM

We used to have the crappy ones that sucked at flushing, but this guy downstairs was always sending emails complaining about water leaking through his ceiling from the overflowing clogged toilets. So they installed these new super toilets that you could flush a beach towel down. It sounds like space shuttle launch when you flush them but they never clog.

Arcadio
10-04-2011, 01:12 PM
In Colombia we used to put toilet paper in the garbage can.

BTW, it doesn't really produce any noticeable smell, unless you stick your nose in the garbage can, in the same way your kitchen doesn't smell like garbage even though there is a garbage can right there.

Fritzo
10-04-2011, 01:24 PM
I let the dog eat it.

ShawnD1
10-04-2011, 01:27 PM

BTW, it doesn't really produce any noticeable smell, unless you stick your nose in the garbage can, in the same way your kitchen doesn't smell like garbage even though there is a garbage can right there.
Depends on the type of can. The can in my kitchen is almost air tight, and that's why it doesn't smell. When the lid is open, I almost die.

Argo
10-04-2011, 01:53 PM
You usually put it in the trash on boats, as their marine toilets can't handle toilet paper, but doing so in your house is disgusting!

Atomic Playboy
10-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Toilet paper goes the same place shit goes; the trashcan.

tokie
10-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Depends on the type of can. The can in my kitchen is almost air tight, and that's why it doesn't smell. When the lid is open, I almost die.

What on earth are you putting in your kitchen garbage? Nothing I can think of smells that bad in the kitchen.

Do you not empty your garbage once a week like a civilized human being?

Numenorean
10-04-2011, 02:18 PM

What do you do, ATOT?

Recently you've come to understand WRONG!

CPA
10-04-2011, 02:20 PM

Who gave you this line of BS? I have a septic system and not once has a maintenance guy or septic company told me not to put toilet paper into the system.

PingSpike
10-04-2011, 02:23 PM

Or maybe the house has smelled like shit for so long you don't even notice it anymore!

CPA
10-04-2011, 02:27 PM
You just buy toilet paper that says "septic safe" on the side of it. I can't think of one that doesn't say that, but there probably are some out there. But there's also Rid-X that helps break down the solids in a septic tank. There are others too, but Rid-X is probably the most well-known one (you've probably seen their commercials).

You have to be careful using products like Rid-X. Your septic system already has bacteria in it and as long as you keep an consistent flow of material and don't over-burden the system, your bacteria will be fine. However, if you add Rid-X, you are introducing millions more of bacteria, which then cause starvation among the bacteria and unbalanced bacteria levels.

Newbian
10-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Toilet paper goes the same place shit goes; the trashcan.

Stop pooping in peoples trashcans. :mad:

Murloc
10-04-2011, 04:19 PM
I always throw it in the toilet.
Lol I don't want shit in the garbage bin, and most toilets are able to handle toilet paper anyway.

GTaudiophile
10-04-2011, 05:49 PM
In the Greece, the only option is the trashcan. Even in public places.

MovingTarget
10-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Leaving it in the trashcan is fucking disgusting. I've lived at several places with septic systems and we always flushed TP. My family has lived at these places for decades, still flushing TP with no septic problems. I can understand though if you are on a ship or some other place that doesn't have a proper septic/sewer system.

jhansman
10-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Oh yeah, I want to be the trash guy who has to deal with shitty toilet paper; sooner or later it's going to have to come out of whatever bag it's in. BTW, I have been living (and wiping) in a house with a septic system for over 35 yrs. So far, no problems. Didn't know there was paper just for septic tanks.

Patranus
10-04-2011, 06:13 PM
this is why we call those places shit holes

I see what you did there.

SKORPI0
10-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Toilet Paper

This. They were meant to be flushed down, not disposed to the garbage. :hmm:

TP Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet_paper)

Toilet paper is a soft paper product (tissue paper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tissue_paper)) used to maintain personal hygiene (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_hygiene) after human defecation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defecation) or urination (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urination). However, it can also be used for other purposes such as blowing one's nose (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nose) when one has a cold (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_cold) or absorbing common spills around the house, although paper towels (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_towels) are more used for this particular purpose. It differs in composition somewhat from facial tissue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facial_tissue): most modern toilet paper in the developed world is designed to decompose in septic tanks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septic_tank), whereas some other bathroom and facial tissues are not. Most septic tank manufacturers advise against using paper products that are non-septic tank safe.

MovingTarget
10-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Oh yeah, I want to be the trash guy who has to deal with shitty toilet paper; sooner or later it's going to have to come out of whatever bag it's in. BTW, I have been living (and wiping) in a house with a septic system for over 35 yrs. So far, no problems. Didn't know there was paper just for septic tanks.

Its bad enough having to clean a public restroom in a place with proper sewer systems. I can only imagine what it would be like where 'binning' was the norm. D:

Lifted
10-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Not sure about Central & South America, but in Asia they also put TP in the bin, BUT it's only used to dry your ass as you spray it clean first. This leaves you feeling > 9,000% cleaner than smearing shit around your ass with paper. It's like taking a shower every time you take a dump. I loved it :D

Took me a while to get used to smearing the shit around my ass after moving back here. I still don't like it. :(

The mighty Bum Gun:

http://photos.travellerspoint.com/189907/IMG_2558.jpg

waggy
10-04-2011, 07:07 PM
glad the issue on the septic system is cleared. lol they work great.

Like CPA don't use rid-x often its actually bad for the tank. We had work done on our tank 5 years ago and sat talking with the guy. he said the rid-x company has made him more money then anything. it can kill off a tank fast (the bacteria) and he has to fix it. just make sure the tank does not overfill and have it emptied ever 10 years (that was my tank we have a huge one and 4 people living here)

I also asked him about the job. he said he makes a TON of money in the field. not many want to do it and it needs to be done.

marvdmartian
10-04-2011, 07:10 PM

That is all

This. Times ten to the infinity power. :thumbsup:

I grew up in a house with a septic system, and we NEVER tossed crap paper in the trash can!! D:

mmntech
10-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Who puts their skid marked toilet paper in the trash? Hippies, that's who. Are you a hippy punk? Well are ya?

duragezic
10-04-2011, 08:05 PM
I heard this before on here and it's messed up. Leave it to ATOT though.

My parents have a septic system and for decades we flush toilet paper, like normal people. I don't see how it can cause a problem. LOL @ PingSpike. Like he said, if the system can handle my massive, punishing shits, then some paper won't hurt.

I don't see how putting shit stained TP that smells like shit in the garbage is even option. Never been to anyone's house where you couldn't flush TP. Haven't seen any special TP to buy either.

MovingTarget
10-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Not sure about Central & South America, but in Asia they also put TP in the bin, BUT it's only used to dry your ass as you spray it clean first. This leaves you feeling > 9,000% cleaner than smearing shit around your ass with paper. It's like taking a shower every time you take a dump. I loved it :D

Took me a while to get used to smearing the shit around my ass after moving back here. I still don't like it. :(

The mighty Bum Gun:

http://photos.travellerspoint.com/189907/IMG_2558.jpg

Perhaps in public restrooms, but can't you get one of those installed at your personal residence? If so, then why do you have to get used to using TP only? :confused:

Raduque
10-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Bunch of old people do this at my work, only there's no trashcan in the stalls. Fucking sucks having to clean the customer restrooms and having to sweep up shitty toilet paper. I make somebody else do it.