PDA

View Full Version : High Mileage Oil - worth the extra cost?

jbbrown
09-29-2011, 06:58 AM
I have a Corolla with about 140,000 miles on it. There are no oil leaks, but it does burn through oil. So is high mileage oil worth the extra cost? What does it actually do?

Thegonagle
09-29-2011, 07:54 AM
I've had a lot of vehicles with well over 100,000 miles, and a few over 200,000.

High mileage oil has some additives which purport to enhance viscosity--or something. I believe it has something like the stuff Lucas Oil Stabilizer is made of.

In my experience, high-mileage oil does help with mild oil burning, by maybe a third to half.

Taking it easy on the engine--basically avoiding high RPMs and fast acceleration if possible--also helps a lot in the oil burning department.

Vetterin
09-29-2011, 10:33 AM
High mileage oil only cost $1-$2 per 5 qt jug more the conventional oil. If that's too much try switching to 10W40.

mvbighead
09-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Ya know, I am starting to see that the performance types of oil from an oil change place cost a premium (something like a $45 oil change vs a $25 oil change). Yet the actual bottle of oil is a meager buck or two more. I simply don't understand that logic, but I digress.

I do use high mileage oil in my vehicles, and for what it's worth, I had a jeep up around 215k miles and the engine was still just as strong as when I bought it at 130k. Granted, it was an inline 6 from what I understand are already great engines, but I really don't have anything bad to say about a high mileage oil. My only issue was trying to determine if it simply made more sense to go with a full synthetic and push an extra 1 to 2 thousand miles between oil changes. The consensus in ATG seems to be RTFM so at a 3000 mile interval, I just stick with the high mileage stuff rather than fork out an extra $15-20 for full synthetic.

Throckmorton
09-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Maybe you should try synthetic. It can withstand higher temperatures

Eli
09-29-2011, 06:20 PM
High mileage oil usually contains compounds that swell rubber seals. Other than that, I don't think it's a whole lot different from "regular" oil. Maybe some additional detergents.

If your engine is burning oil due to rings, it won't help. If it's because of valve stem seals or other leaks, it will.

Synthetic will likely make the problem worse, especially if it's a seal related leak.

Your Toyota engine should just be getting broken in at 140k miles. ;)

jbbrown
09-29-2011, 08:13 PM
Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Oh yes, I plan on getting many more miles out of this car! :D

funboy6942
09-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Synthetic also doesnt smoke like regular oil so if she is a puffing she wont no more. Will not stop it from burning it up, but it wont leave that embarrassing trail behind you.

KIAman
09-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Just get the cheapest oil for your car. I get whatever is on sale at Walmart that is either 0-20, 5-20, 5-30 or 10-30 and change my 05 Civic Ex oil every 10-15k miles. These engines don't give a honey badger!

pauldun170
09-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Whats your actual oil consumption per 1000 miles?

Eli
09-30-2011, 10:42 AM
10-15k mile oil changes on dino oil is insane unless you're doing oil analysis and know for a fact that the oil is properly lubricating your specific engine under your specific driving and environmental conditions.

KIAman
09-30-2011, 11:33 AM
10-15k mile oil changes on dino oil is insane unless you're doing oil analysis and know for a fact that the oil is properly lubricating your specific engine under your specific driving and environmental conditions.

I just figure it doesn't matter if my engine only lasts 300k miles rather than 400k miles.

Eli
09-30-2011, 12:28 PM
I just figure it doesn't matter if my engine only lasts 300k miles rather than 400k miles.

What if it only lasts 200,000 instead of 300,000?

I always strive to take the best care of my engines as I can. Why wear them out unnecessarily?

Shrug. Lots of people only keep a car for 50-80k miles. May as well change the oil every 20k then, eh? The next owner will surely thank you for your impeccable maintenance. But I guess that's not your problem..........

:thumbsdown:

jbbrown
09-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Whats your actual oil consumption per 1000 miles?

I would guess it goes through about 1-1.25 quarts of oil every 1000 miles. I change the oil every 5000 miles or so. I think the oil capacity is around 4 quarts, so I usually have to add more oil once or twice before I do an oil change.

DVad3r
09-30-2011, 01:01 PM
My dad's Camry is high mileage and its been burning oil for some time. Stuff like oil stabilizers and no leak fluids help a little, but they don't solve the problem. Replacing the engine seals on your next timing belt change might fix the problem.

My bike used to burn oil as wel, and it isn't a high mileage bike. When I switched to a true full synthetic it doesn't burn oil any longer.

jbbrown
09-30-2011, 01:06 PM
I always strive to take the best care of my engines as I can.

Wow, I just noticed your signature, you sure keep those Honda's going! I hope to keep my Corolla up and running for that long. :)

I typically just use regular Pennzoil or Castrol - sometimes I get the high mileage oil if it's on sale.

waffleironhead
09-30-2011, 01:21 PM
I would guess it goes through about 1-1.25 quarts of oil every 1000 miles. I change the oil every 5000 miles or so. I think the oil capacity is around 4 quarts, so I usually have to add more oil once or twice before I do an oil change.

Thats pretty high consumption. Is there a leak or are toyota engines of that generation prone to oil losses? I know my saturn 1.9 is a burner, but I only lose about a quart over the 3000 mile oil change cycle.

Eli
09-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Wow, yeah, that's a gusher. Are you sure it's not leaking? With that much oil being burned, it likely doubles as a mosquito fogger...

Shouldn't be burning that much oil at only 140k :( How do the plugs look? Are they oil fouled?

Insight #2, the 447k mile car, doesn't burn a drop, but it does have a small leak at the rear main seal. About a half a quart every 4,000 miles.

jbbrown
09-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Thats pretty high consumption. Is there a leak or are toyota engines of that generation prone to oil losses? I know my saturn 1.9 is a burner, but I only lose about a quart over the 3000 mile oil change cycle.

There is no leak, it just burns through oil for some reason. I have looked around online and it seems to be a common problem for Corolla's around 1998-2002. The only fixes people have mentioned are expensive. Some people have mentioned adding valvoline max life oil additive and that seemed to help.

jbbrown
09-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Wow, yeah, that's a gusher. Are you sure it's not leaking? With that much oil being burned, it likely doubles as a mosquito fogger...

Shouldn't be burning that much oil at only 140k :( How do the plugs look? Are they oil fouled?

No leak that I can see. It is actually a very good mosquito fogger...a couple times a year I have to scrub the back of the car above the tale pipe because it turns my white car gray! :D

What plugs should I look at?

Eli
09-30-2011, 03:12 PM
Interesting. Is the problem the valve stem seals like in the 3S-FE engines, or what?

How does it get into the combustion chamber?

Sorry, I meant the spark plugs. ;)

KIAman
09-30-2011, 04:20 PM
What if it only lasts 200,000 instead of 300,000?

I always strive to take the best care of my engines as I can. Why wear them out unnecessarily?

Shrug. Lots of people only keep a car for 50-80k miles. May as well change the oil every 20k then, eh? The next owner will surely thank you for your impeccable maintenance. But I guess that's not your problem..........

:thumbsdown:

I have never sold a vehicle. I've given them away or junked them. The next owners do thank me, they do all the time. They got a free car.

But thanks for your implied rub on my ethics.

Eli
10-01-2011, 01:03 AM
I have never sold a vehicle. I've given them away or junked them. The next owners do thank me, they do all the time. They got a free car.

But thanks for your implied rub on my ethics.

Sorry, I didn't mean it like that. Though most people sell vehicles, it's a fair assumption.

It's not like I maintain my cars because I care about the person that might buy one next. I don't care, I was just giving an extreme example. It's like "Well, I'm going to die anyway, so I may as well keep smoking these cigarettes".

Meghan54
10-01-2011, 04:19 AM
There is no leak, it just burns through oil for some reason. I have looked around online and it seems to be a common problem for Corolla's around 1998-2002. The only fixes people have mentioned are expensive. Some people have mentioned adding valvoline max life oil additive and that seemed to help.

Have you tried adding a dollop of Lucas Oil Stabilizer to the crankcase? I really doubted the claims Lucas makes with that product, but after using some to get our dying Blazer home, I'll try some on my next oil burner/leaker. It did the job on the Blazer that blew out its rear main seal 2 hours away from home and before the Lucas was added, the Blazer was leaving a huge mosquito killing synthetic oil fog behind. After adding it, it barely puffed any smoke at all.

KIAman
10-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean it like that. Though most people sell vehicles, it's a fair assumption.

It's not like I maintain my cars because I care about the person that might buy one next. I don't care, I was just giving an extreme example. It's like "Well, I'm going to die anyway, so I may as well keep smoking these cigarettes".

True. On the flip side, I keep a very aggresive maintenance schedule for the bimmer because I want it to last 200k miles instead of 100k miles, LOL.

Eli
10-01-2011, 05:15 PM
True. On the flip side, I keep a very aggresive maintenance schedule for the bimmer because I want it to last 200k miles instead of 100k miles, LOL.

:D

In all fairness, your OCI could be just fine.. But the not knowing would drive me insane.

In essence, I agree with the principle of the conservative oil change that is the heart of the traditional 3,000 mile figure. It's better to change your oil before its additive package has been depleted than it is to drive even one mile on depleted oil.

Though of course the 3,000 mile oil change is out of date these days.

charrison
10-01-2011, 09:08 PM
I have started using high mileage oil in my 2000 maxima that is nearing 200k miles with good results. It appears using less oil with the high mileage oil.

I started doing the oil changes myself as I refused to pay the $10-15 permium the lube places are charging to pour in high milage oil. Sp this actually saves me about $20!

Throckmorton
10-02-2011, 04:13 AM
:D

In all fairness, your OCI could be just fine.. But the not knowing would drive me insane.

In essence, I agree with the principle of the conservative oil change that is the heart of the traditional 3,000 mile figure. It's better to change your oil before its additive package has been depleted than it is to drive even one mile on depleted oil.

Though of course the 3,000 mile oil change is out of date these days.

My manual says 3000 mi for severe use, like stop and go or offroading. 1999 Cherokee

BUTCH1
10-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Synthetic also doesnt smoke like regular oil so if she is a puffing she wont no more. Will not stop it from burning it up, but it wont leave that embarrassing trail behind you.

Where did you read that?, if it gets into the combustion chamber in sufficient quantity it's gonna smoke, it may be synthetic but it's still oil..

Eli
10-02-2011, 03:34 PM
My manual says 3000 mi for severe use, like stop and go or offroading. 1999 Cherokee

Indeed.

Most automobiles specify a 3750 mile OCI under severe conditions.

That's exactly my overall point. Doing an extended drain interval like that without analysis is crazy. Most people are terrible at judging what their severity of service is. About the only thing that can be considered "Normal" or "Light" duty is extended highway travel. Most everything else falls under severe service.

jbbrown
10-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Interesting. Is the problem the valve stem seals like in the 3S-FE engines, or what?

How does it get into the combustion chamber?

I will have to look into this. I don't know a whole lot about engines, so I will have figure out where these parts are and check to see if they are good or not. :)

What exactly should I be looking for with the valve stem seal?

jbbrown
10-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Have you tried adding a dollop of Lucas Oil Stabilizer to the crankcase? I really doubted the claims Lucas makes with that product, but after using some to get our dying Blazer home, I'll try some on my next oil burner/leaker. It did the job on the Blazer that blew out its rear main seal 2 hours away from home and before the Lucas was added, the Blazer was leaving a huge mosquito killing synthetic oil fog behind. After adding it, it barely puffed any smoke at all.

I have not tried this, but I might look into it. I would like to figure out the root cause of the oil burning, I just don't want to spend a lot of money to fix it. :D

Has anyone else used Oil Stabilizer before and what are your thoughts?

jbbrown
10-03-2011, 10:17 AM
I started doing the oil changes myself as I refused to pay the $10-15 permium the lube places are charging to pour in high milage oil. Sp this actually saves me about $20!

Same here, I began doing my own oil changes several years ago, but I have been usually use regular oil. I was never sure if the high mileage oil actually worked or was worth it.

hanoverphist
10-03-2011, 11:17 AM
ive used the high mileage oil in my truck before. i used it for 3 changes in a row, but didnt see any real drop in oil loss. the truck doesnt smoke at all, but i tend to lose about a quart in 2000 miles. but with 230k miles on it, im surprised its not worse.

my daughters bf has a civic that he only runs synthetic in, that sucker smokes when he accelerates. hes done valve work on it and pretty much everything you can do without actually reringing it. hasnt helped. now hes going to sell it instead of finishing the engine project lol. given the stupid demand and high prices lately, he will probably make a ton flipping that thing too.

Riverdale22
08-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Hi all,

I have a 1999 Chevy Metro (AKA-Suzuki) with the 1.0 litre 3 banger, 5 spd :). It has 160K(about 100,000miles) and I've been using Castrol GTX 5W30 on all my vehicles since the 80's! A friend of mine and I just got into the habit of buying a couple cases (on sale) over the years. The Metro (which I've had for 4 years, long 'health' story) Prior to the Suzuki I've been driving Mazda 323s(or 3's) which have been great to me.
The Metro does not burn any oil over a 5K(3K-Miles) period. It is, however, leaking a small amount between changes but luckily never enough to have to top it up. It appears to be leaking around the valve cover, but just in one spot to the far left almost above the the plug. OK, enough rambling :) ! I've heard about high mileage oil helping with seals and gaskets. Anyone think this little motor would benefit from high mileage oil? The price difference up here (Canada), does not seem like a move for the better financially or mechanically.

Thanks.
Riv

TAZ :) Lots of noise (a chromed tin can(stove pipe :) ) muffler was on it when I bought it and you can shove a stick right through it (baffles removed or the way it came?)) ! Noise but little acceleration :), ahhh it runs great and gets me where I want to go and the best mileage I've gotten was about 75 mpg+ (Imperial gallon, so about 60-70mpg+ US) but that was at a steady 95kph/55mph and on a cool fall night (about 15C/60F) !!!

http://yorkwebdev.com/images/TAZ_001.jpg

The six valve 1.0L(993CC) MONSTER *LOL* !!!

http://yorkwebdev.com/images/TAZ_1.0_Plant.jpg

jagec
08-25-2012, 05:22 PM
High mileage oil usually contains compounds that swell rubber seals. Other than that, I don't think it's a whole lot different from "regular" oil. Maybe some additional detergents.

More Moly, I think, at least in the good-quality "High mileage" oils.

HeXen
08-25-2012, 07:31 PM
for a Toyota? heck you haven't even broken it in yet. Now if it was a Chrysler or something, it would be on its last leg and not worth investing into.

jupiter57
09-01-2012, 02:08 PM

If your engine is burning oil due to rings, it won't help. If it's because of valve stem seals or other leaks, it will.

Synthetic will likely make the problem worse, especially if it's a seal related leak.

What he said.

soccerballtux
09-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Hi all,

I have a 1999 Chevy Metro (AKA-Suzuki) with the 1.0 litre 3 banger, 5 spd :). It has 160K(about 100,000miles) and I've been using Castrol GTX 5W30 on all my vehicles since the 80's! A friend of mine and I just got into the habit of buying a couple cases (on sale) over the years. The Metro (which I've had for 4 years, long 'health' story) Prior to the Suzuki I've been driving Mazda 323s(or 3's) which have been great to me.
The Metro does not burn any oil over a 5K(3K-Miles) period. It is, however, leaking a small amount between changes but luckily never enough to have to top it up. It appears to be leaking around the valve cover, but just in one spot to the far left almost above the the plug. OK, enough rambling :) ! I've heard about high mileage oil helping with seals and gaskets. Anyone think this little motor would benefit from high mileage oil? The price difference up here (Canada), does not seem like a move for the better financially or mechanically.

Thanks.
Riv

TAZ :) Lots of noise (a chromed tin can(stove pipe :) ) muffler was on it when I bought it and you can shove a stick right through it (baffles removed or the way it came?)) ! Noise but little acceleration :), ahhh it runs great and gets me where I want to go and the best mileage I've gotten was about 75 mpg+ (Imperial gallon, so about 60-70mpg+ US) but that was at a steady 95kph/55mph and on a cool fall night (about 15C/60F) !!!

http://yorkwebdev.com/images/TAZ_001.jpg

The six valve 1.0L(993CC) MONSTER *LOL* !!!

http://yorkwebdev.com/images/TAZ_1.0_Plant.jpg

hey dude. plz make a thread of this. no sense necro-bumping