PDA

View Full Version : Food stamps for KFC and tacobell ?

Modelworks
09-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Man, now I am getting upset. It is enough that people already abuse food stamps but now they want them to be usable at KFC ? This is getting out of control and if any politicians are reading , if I see your name in support of this in any way I will never ever vote for you. I can't see this passing but just the idea that some people support this , ugh.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/story/2011-09-05/More-restaurants-are-targeting-customers-who-use-food-stamps/50267864/1

The number of businesses approved to accept food stamps grew by a third from 2005 to 2010, U.S. Department of Agriculture records show, as vendors from convenience and dollar discount stores to gas stations and pharmacies increasingly joined the growing entitlement program.

Louisville-based Yum! Brands, whose restaurants include Taco Bell, KFC, Long John Silver's and Pizza Hut, is trying to get restaurants more involved, federal lobbying records show.

There is big money at stake. USDA records show food stamp benefits swelled from $28.5 billion to $64.7billion in that period.

Four states accept restaurants, with Florida the most recent to begin a program.

"It makes perfect sense to expand a program that's working well in California, Arizona and Michigan, enabling the homeless, elderly and disabled to purchase prepared meals with SNAP benefits in a restaurant environment," Yum! spokesman Jonathan Blum said.

Pens1566
09-06-2011, 11:29 AM
And somehow this will all be blamed on those using food stamps. Their lobbying power is unmatched.

/Cue spidey

MomentsofSanity
09-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Can't see this happening given the restrictions already in place on what food stamps can buy. Cant buy hot foods at a grocery store so letting this fly would be ridiculously stupid.

Corporate greed knows no limits.

Craig234
09-06-2011, 11:36 AM
What is the total cost of this issue (the difference between allowing food stamps for fast food and restricting it to groceries)?

And how does that amount fit into the issues facing our country economically?

I look forward to your answer to see how much you are raving about nothing.

It's amazing how irrational people are about a penny wasted on the poor compared to thousands of times as much elsewhere.

This may be a corrupt program, driven by the lobbying power of Yum foods. If so, it's the least harmful corrupt program going I know of.

Get a life, get some perspective, stop taking crumbs from the poor first.

I'm actually ambivalent about the program - I can see pros and cons - but the fury about helping the poor is disgusting.

GoPackGo
09-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Why not just give them cash?

JS80
09-06-2011, 11:45 AM
And somehow this will all be blamed on those using food stamps. Their lobbying power is unmatched.

/Cue spidey
Can't see this happening given the restrictions already in place on what food stamps can buy. Cant buy hot foods at a grocery store so letting this fly would be ridiculously stupid.

loliberals blaming "corporate greed" instead of the voting beneficiaries hahaha...

spidey07
09-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Yum brands has been trying this for a long time, nothing new. But I did notice that the food stamp president is living up to his name...
food stamp benefits swelled from $28.5 billion to $64.7billion

Gonad the Barbarian
09-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Conservatives, they rant about poor people being able to store and prepare food, then they rant about getting cheap prepared food with food stamps.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/07/27/999344/-Stephen-Colbert-rips-Heritage-Foundation-report-that-says-poor-people-arent-really-poor

Modelworks
09-06-2011, 11:51 AM
What is the total cost of this issue (the difference between allowing food stamps for fast food and restricting it to groceries)?

Food stamp cost is out of control in many states and this will not improve things. The fix for food stamps is to restrict what can be bought with it more not increase items that can be bought. Make it a voucher program like WIC where nutrition is considered first and the cost of the program will drop.

MomentsofSanity
09-06-2011, 11:52 AM
loliberals blaming "corporate greed" instead of the voting beneficiaries hahaha...

Who is the group lobbying for this again? Who stands to benefit?

SammyJr
09-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Yum brands has been trying this for a long time, nothing new. But I did notice that the food stamp president is living up to his name...

That's what happens when the job creators are given big big tax breaks and don't don't hire anyone.

wirednuts
09-06-2011, 11:53 AM
food stamps come from a state level, so im not sure how you blame the increase on obama

Modelworks
09-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Conservatives, they rant about poor people being able to store and prepare food, then they rant about getting cheap prepared food with food stamps.

who says they will be eating cheap ? If KFC is approved so will every other restaurant. That means red lobster, outback steakhouse, etc.

JS80
09-06-2011, 11:55 AM

Welfare queens, whether it be humans or corporations. It increases the value of food stamps so shitheads can sell it for higher cash value to buy drugs and alcohol. Win win for the welfare recipients, and you remain loliberal.

JS80
09-06-2011, 11:57 AM
food stamps come from a state level, so im not sure how you blame the increase on obama

ORLY?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supplemental_Nutrition_Assistance_Program

The United States Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP),[1] historically and commonly known as the Food Stamp Program, is a federal-assistance program that provides assistance to low- and no-income people and families living in the U.S. Though the program is administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, benefits are distributed by the individual U.S. states.

peonyu
09-06-2011, 11:58 AM
who says they will be eating cheap ? If KFC is approved so will every other restaurant. That means red lobster, outback steakhouse, etc.

"Mammy just got her food stamps in ! She gonna take us all to da Red Lobster since she work so hard fo them !"

airdata
09-06-2011, 12:00 PM
lawl...

why's it gotta be KFC ?

Chaosblade02
09-06-2011, 12:01 PM
LOL!!!!

Whats next are they gonna start bringing them to Tony Roma's for ribs?

The system is so broken that there is no point in dwelling on it unless you are willing to stand for serious attempts to try and fix it. I think its funny to hear Liberals complaining about this, when the officials they elected are the ones allowing this.

airdata
09-06-2011, 12:02 PM
http://www.tinygif.com/data/media/4/chicken-wing-dance.gif

There's probably never been a more appropriate gif.

loki8481
09-06-2011, 12:03 PM
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/loki8481/334022_10150294059063159_579088158_7929935_354501_ o.jpg

cubby1223
09-06-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm actually ambivalent about the program - I can see pros and cons - but the fury about helping the poor is disgusting.

You don't get out much, do you? Have you ever taken an interest and help other people personally? Something more than just posting on internet forums how *other* people need to help the poor? Grow up a little more, and maybe one day you'll understand that throwing money at someone is not the most helpful way to actually help someone.

IGBT
09-06-2011, 12:12 PM
you pay for your junk food. Now you get to pay for their junk food. On top of everything else you already buy for them.

piasabird
09-06-2011, 12:18 PM
On one of those all you can eat buffet days KFC can be some good deals. The food is kind of rich though. Fried Chicken green beans corn mashed potatoes Salad and more fried chicken and then some peach cobbler.

Try going to the grocery store. A roasted chicken is like $6.00.

peonyu
09-06-2011, 12:20 PM
http://www.tinygif.com/data/media/4/chicken-wing-dance.gif

There's probably never been a more appropriate gif.

Very true. Also if this is passed the reception would probably look like this when folks receive their food stamps..

http://i52.tinypic.com/2a9wsgi.gif

Spikesoldier
09-06-2011, 12:27 PM

It's amazing how irrational people are about a penny wasted on the poor compared to thousands of times as much elsewhere.

This may be a corrupt program, driven by the lobbying power of Yum foods. If so, it's the least harmful corrupt program going I know of.

Sorry, all I got out of that was people are ENTITLED to a fully cooked and prepared meal.

The ironing is that the people making the burritos and chicken and making a living at taco bell or KFC probably couldnt qualify for food stamps while those entitled to this benefit get to dine on their labor.

Next thing is sheniqua is gunna want a govahment car and gas so she can trolly her fat ass through the KFC and taco bell window to blow her food stamps.

GTaudiophile
09-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Then we get to pay for their health costs resulting from the junk food consumption...

werepossum
09-06-2011, 12:39 PM

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/07/27/999344/-Stephen-Colbert-rips-Heritage-Foundation-report-that-says-poor-people-arent-really-poor
A comedian ripping a Heritage Foundation article about relative poverty does NOT equal conservatives ranting about "poor people being able to store and prepare food", even when you square the moonbattery by filtering through the DailyKooks.

Personally I'm also ambivalent here. What happens to people who do not have facilities to prepare food, but are on food stamps? KFC is probably overkill, but Taco Bell offers some decent meals for two bucks. I know, I eat 'em. Spending some food stamps on fast food does mean less money in the account for healthier food, but let's face it - there are damned few people on food stamps who couldn't stand to miss a meal or two anyway. If there are people on food stamps who would like to spend that money at Red Lobster, either they are cheating the system or they are hiding a boyfriend who supports them. In that case, either investigate such expenditures to crack down on fraud, or let them have an occasional greasy fast food meal.

Just as grocers have to qualify, so would fast food restaurants have to qualify. So it doesn't necessarily follow that KFC must be followed by Red Lobster. Restaurants could be allowed in based on price and/or healthy alternatives (LOL) and would probably even pay to get on the approved list - which would be better than their corporations paying lobbyists to get them on the approved list.

I hate to agree with Craig on principle, but I can't get all foamy over this. Maybe tomorrow . . .

Then we get to pay for their health costs resulting from the junk food consumption...
:D You have a point.

soulcougher73
09-06-2011, 12:45 PM
fast food should be a great incentive for them to want to get off food stamps /facepalm

Bread and water is all they need to survive long enough to be motivated to get off welfare etc.

momeNt
09-06-2011, 12:55 PM
The "cost" of this snowballs into obesity related diseases which also have to be paid for since if they need food assistance, they also will need healthcare assistance.

Pretty sure both Taco bell and KFC have some of the highest calories per $, so expect the inverse relationship with obesity and income to get even more inverse.

airdata
09-06-2011, 01:00 PM
http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/yes/grand/yes_5656.gif

dmcowen674
09-06-2011, 01:16 PM

The snake grows longer everyday

ShawnD1
09-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Man, now I am getting upset. It is enough that people already abuse food stamps but now they want them to be usable at KFC ?
Believe it or not, fast food is cheaper than real food. I cooked a duck last week and that bastard was $14!

If you make it so food stamps won't buy Taco Bell, then food stamps shouldn't cover anything more expensive than Taco Bell. That means no more meat or cheese. I'd be fine with that too. People should learn to cook cheaper food like rice or pasta when they're poor.

Spikesoldier
09-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Believe it or not, fast food is cheaper than real food. I cooked a duck last week and that bastard was $14!

If you make it so food stamps won't buy Taco Bell, then food stamps shouldn't cover anything more expensive than Taco Bell. That means no more meat or cheese. I'd be fine with that too. People should learn to cook cheaper food like rice or pasta when they're poor.

i hear ya on that one.

i guess it could work if you go to TB or KFC and they got a 'SNAP' menu with 'approved' benefit meals rather then letting them go hog wild with a shitload of tacos or buckets of chicken with no limit.

totally agree that those barely making it need to cook cheaper food. rice and beans is a great starter. but why when we breed and foster a culture of laziness and entitlement.

why prepare rice and beans when i can buy the frozen food thats both expensive and not as nutritious. why should i not max the benefits every month? id rather sell them if dont have any more room in my freezer.

maybe this limitation of selection will trickle down to SNAP. ive always recommended that they should just end SNAP altogether and just expand WIC to include the truly needy including men that need it, and lower target enrollment by slashing the qualifying income down even further. food is getting expensive amidst an all-time record enrollment.

but nothing cheeses me more at the grocery store than me having to be frugal on what i want while obviously someone who isnt paying for their groceries doesnt give a damn and hasnt a care on their mind about it.

blackangst1
09-06-2011, 01:43 PM

Interesting you think over 50 Billion is crumbs.

As to the OP, meh.

xj0hnx
09-06-2011, 01:49 PM
One of the Subways in Oakland has been taking foodies since at least the late 90's, and that's only one of the ones we saw while passing through back then.

ShawnD1
09-06-2011, 01:51 PM
but nothing cheeses me more at the grocery store than me having to be frugal on what i want while obviously someone who isnt paying for their groceries doesnt give a damn and hasnt a care on their mind about it.
Don't let it get you down. Being retarded and not caring is one of the reasons some people are poor. Lots of "poor" people have stuff I don't think I can afford. My movie collection is very limited, my game collection is very limited, I buy clothes at a used clothing store, and I buy everything in bulk when possible. My stuff might suck, but it's worth it when I'm able to pay all my bills on time with no interest while one of my friends complains that her phone was cut off because she chose to buy new shoes instead of pay the phone bill. It eventually catches up with them. You see them buy lobster one week, but you don't see them the next week because they ran out of money and are back to bitching about how hungry they are.

BoberFett
09-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Believe it or not, fast food is cheaper than real food.

I get tired of hearing this shit. Vegetables are cheap as hell. You can get a pound of carrots for a buck. People just need to admit that they are lazy and love sugary, fatty fast food. Stop making shit up.

Duck? Really? You're comparing the price of duck to a shitty taco? Do you think that's actual meat in that Taco Bell burrito?

PingSpike
09-06-2011, 01:56 PM
lawl...

why's it gotta be KFC ?

Because they do chicken right.

I need to find some one who likes to drink and smoke a lot and gets food stamps. I could buy his food stamps at a discount and then use them to buy food, he could use the cash to buy cigs, meth, rims for his 1993 Dodge Stratus or whatever. The economy is about trading goods and services you see. :P

theevilsharpie
09-06-2011, 02:05 PM
totally agree that those barely making it need to cook cheaper food. rice and beans is a great starter. but why when we breed and foster a culture of laziness and entitlement.

why prepare rice and beans when i can buy the frozen food thats both expensive and not as nutritious.

Your assumption that only the lazy and entitled would ask to use food stamps at a restaurant is overly broad. Families with incomes low enough to qualify for food stamps are in very poor financial shape, and with the large waiting lists for Section 8 housing combined with increased prices for rent, there's a reasonable chance that someone on food stamps may not have a sanitary place to cook food.

I'd support an extension of food stamps for prepared food if the food was reasonably healthy. As the article states, food stamps are a multi-billion dollar "business" and restaurants want a piece of that pie, so the USDA would have plenty of leverage to mandate a SNAP-approved menu if they so desired.

ShawnD1
09-06-2011, 02:05 PM
I get tired of hearing this shit. Vegetables are cheap as hell. You can get a pound of carrots for a buck.
Your parents must be ashamed. Their son didn't even graduate high school :'(
I don't know if you realize this but vegetables have almost no calories. They have no nutritional value. You can eat 100lbs of carrots and still starve to death. This is why vegans always look like they're on the brink of starvation.

Duck? Really? You're comparing the price of duck to a shitty taco? Do you think that's actual meat in that Taco Bell burrito?
The USDA thinks it is.
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/01/business/la-fi-taco-bell-20110201

peonyu
09-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Because they do chicken right.

I need to find some one who likes to drink and smoke a lot and gets food stamps. I could buy his food stamps at a discount and then use them to buy food, he could use the cash to buy cigs, meth, rims for his 1993 Dodge Stratus or whatever. The economy is about trading goods and services you see. :P

Lol, thats been happening since the 90's. Trade a $5 bill for a $10 food stamp, I saw that alot growing up. My family was never "on" the system but some of my friends were. Im sure atleast half of people on Food stamps do the same today if not more. The welfare/food stamp system has been abused by freeloaders since it was designed, and to top off, the people I know who "traded stamps" were physically fit people. They were just lazy and found excuses to not work [and the Gov bought the excuses].

ShawnD1
09-06-2011, 02:08 PM
wtf? This policy makes no sense. At Costco, cooked chickens cost LESS than raw chickens.

Craig234
09-06-2011, 02:09 PM

See above about the rage against the poor I mentioned.

But you clearly have a point since infinite amounts of food stamps are provided.

BoberFett
09-06-2011, 02:10 PM
I don't know if you realize this but vegetables have almost no calories. They have no nutritional value. You can eat 100lbs of carrots and still starve to death. This is why vegans always look like they're on the brink of starvation.

Oops, I just realized there was a typo in your original post. The reason it was so expensive was because you were eating dick. Try eating food instead of paying random men to let you lick on their wangs.

At any rate, have you seen the fat fucks on welfare? Those people need fewer calories.

Craig234
09-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Lol, thats been happening since the 90's. Trade a $5 bill for a $10 food stamp, I saw that alot growing up. My family was never "on" the system but some of my friends were. Im sure atleast half of people on Food stamps do the same today if not more. The welfare/food stamp system has been abused by freeloaders since it was designed, and to top off, the people I know who "traded stamps" were physically fit people. They were just lazy and found excuses to not work [and the Gov bought the excuses].

It's a crime; you're a criminal if you buy them; perhaps we should increase the security against this, requiring photo id.

umbrella39
09-06-2011, 02:12 PM

He just hasn't gotten the memo who to be mad at yet so all he can do is kneejerk. These Big Business Fanboys need to get their stories straight before hitting the Submit Reply button.

DirthNader
09-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Chicken breasts go on sale every other month at Publix for $1.99/lb. Stock up and freeze them. Leg quarters are always $1.99/lb or less. Pork goes on sale frequently for $1.99/lb - I just finished some tasty spare ribs that cost $8.00 for the entire rack.

Then again I know this because I'm neither a welfare queen nor a corporate whore. I'm too rich to be a Democrat, too poor to be a Republican. Just a sucker who goes to work every day and pays his bills.

Paul98
09-06-2011, 02:13 PM

Store bought is a heck of a lot cheaper than fast food when I get it. Not only that but tastes a heck of a lot better also. Only problem is when I am cooking for myself.

Spikesoldier
09-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Your assumption that only the lazy and entitled would ask to use food stamps at a restaurant is overly broad. Families with incomes low enough to qualify for food stamps are in very poor financial shape, and with the large waiting lists for Section 8 housing combined with increased prices for rent, there's a reasonable chance that someone on food stamps may not have a sanitary place to cook food.

I'd support an extension of food stamps for prepared food if the food was reasonably healthy. As the article states, food stamps are a multi-billion dollar "business" and restaurants want a piece of that pie, so the USDA would have plenty of leverage to mandate a SNAP-approved menu if they so desired.

im sure the amount of beneficiaries with a sanitary place to prepare food outnumber those who don't. you underestimate the laziness and greed of the average american as even those with a sanitary kitchen will still be flocking to KFC subway and taco bell anyway. now, instead of them paying for it out of their own (limited) pocket, the government does and thats positive reinforcement for being L A Z Y.

if you really want to follow the letter of the law, it sounds like those kids should be taken out of that home with a health hazard in the kitchen preventing meals. but i guess its cheaper for the govt to give little johnny a 99c burrito from taco bell than have CPS come and abduct the kid.

bfdd
09-06-2011, 02:22 PM
popeyes down from me has their ebt sign up. On Tuesdays it takes a good 30 minutes to an hour to get your order.

Chaosblade02
09-06-2011, 02:23 PM
That is bullshit, you can go to the deli and get a half pound of sliced turkey and it would run you $5, plus a loaf of bread and that is lunch for a whole week for one person. If you went to KFC it would be $5-$7 a day to eat lunch.

Fast food is only cheaper if you are dumb and lazy.

I can buy $5 worth of Hamburger meat and mix it up with some beans and some canned stuff to make a pot of chili I can eat on for a week.

Find a cut of beef on sale and buy some vegies and cut them up with the meat and make a beef stew or soup out of it, same with the chili, you can eat on that for a week, or even freeze it and eat it a month later.

Stuff like this is what people should be doing with food stamps. For someone sitting around not doing anything or being physically active, you don't need anywhere near 2000 calories a day, you could get by on 1200-1500. Someone that is really physically active would probably need 3000 calories.

bfdd
09-06-2011, 02:25 PM
people should be given food from a dispensary and deal with food lines. An alloted amount per week, even give them food prep courses if they so choose. If you have to go beyond that, those people are unhelpable.

Spikesoldier
09-06-2011, 02:27 PM
people should be given food from a dispensary and deal with food lines. An alloted amount per week, even give them food prep courses if they so choose. If you have to go beyond that, those people are unhelpable.

yes sir!

hay you ever hear the old saying 'give a man a fish?' you know the rest.

explains the entire issue with FOOD STAMPS in complete detail.

ichy
09-06-2011, 02:33 PM
you underestimate the laziness and greed of the average american as even those with a sanitary kitchen will still be flocking to KFC subway and taco bell anyway. now, instead of them paying for it out of their own (limited) pocket, the government does and thats positive reinforcement for being L A Z Y.

Sadly you are correct. I used to buy into the whole Craig-style worship of victimhood, but after a decade living in Baltimore I've realized that a lot of people are just useless degenerates. At least in densely populated areas there shouldn't be anything like food stamps, give welfare recipients a ration book and let them go to a government-run soup kitchens if they're truly hungry. Put some stigma back into being on the dole, at least if you're on it long term. I have no problem with TEMPORARY assistance to those who hit hard times, but if you're on food stamps and section 8 for years then you're a parasitic piece of crap.

ShawnD1
09-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Oops, I just realized there was a typo in your original post. The reason it was so expensive was because you were eating dick. Try eating food instead of paying random men to let you lick on their wangs.
Joke's on you. I make money when people put their penis in my mouth.

PingSpike
09-06-2011, 02:39 PM
We should do away with food stamps and just hand out nutriloafs. That would end fraud right there, probably the obesity epidemic as well.

ShawnD1
09-06-2011, 02:40 PM
We should do away with food stamps and just hand out nutriloafs. That would end fraud right there, probably the obesity epidemic as well.

The US prison system has about 2 million inmates. That could make a whole lot of Soylent Green... :hmm:

Chaosblade02
09-06-2011, 02:41 PM

Great idea.

loki8481
09-06-2011, 02:43 PM
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard."

PingSpike
09-06-2011, 02:44 PM
I wasn't serious, but if we're going to go with it we should probably grind up birth control pills and mix them in with the loafs.

Spikesoldier
09-06-2011, 02:47 PM

+1

great idea.

see what happens when we submit ideas instead of partisan hackery?

ShawnD1
09-06-2011, 02:57 PM
I wasn't serious, but if we're going to go with it we should probably grind up birth control pills and mix them in with the loafs.
What happens when men eat birth control pills?

I tried googling this but all I guess is discussions about a male version of the birth control pill. I want to know what happens when a man eats a female birth control pill.

BoberFett
09-06-2011, 03:03 PM

I tried googling this but all I guess is discussions about a male version of the birth control pill. I want to know what happens when a man eats a female birth control pill.

You'd grow tits. That should work well for you in your line of work.

drebo
09-06-2011, 03:18 PM
This is why EBT and food stamps should go away.

WIC is a great program, and should be expanded to replace EBT/food stamps. That ensures that people can only get what they need, can't transfer the credits, and have big restrictions on what they can buy. WIC limits it even to a specific brand of something, so that the person buying can only buy the "generic" version of something, versus the premium version.

I would be very much in favor of converting EBT/food stamps into a voucher-based program. Even more so, I'd be even more in favor of turning it in to a soup-line type service, but that's highly unlikely.

Food vouchers, rent vouchers, and that's it. There's no reason or excuse for giving cash to people on welfare.

theevilsharpie
09-06-2011, 03:19 PM
if you really want to follow the letter of the law, it sounds like those kids should be taken out of that home with a health hazard in the kitchen preventing meals. but i guess its cheaper for the govt to give little johnny a 99c burrito from taco bell than have CPS come and abduct the kid.

When I mentioned the lack of sanitary food prep facilities, I was thinking of food stamp recipients that were homeless, living in a shelter, living in motel rooms without kitchens, living in a run-down home with broken appliances, or any other number of scenarios where cooking food isn't practical or safe.

As for taking the kids out of the home, you could spends tens (hundreds?) of billions of dollars on top of the cost of food stamps keeping detailed track of the health of 20+ million kids and raiding their house at the first sign of trouble, or you could spend no additional cash and just allow little Johnny to get a 99c burrito from Taco Bell if there's no way to get a home-cooked meal. Tough choice :hmm:

Spikesoldier
09-06-2011, 03:19 PM
This is why EBT and food stamps should go away.

WIC is a great program, and should be expanded to replace EBT/food stamps. That ensures that people can only get what they need, can't transfer the credits, and have big restrictions on what they can buy. WIC limits it even to a specific brand of something, so that the person buying can only buy the "generic" version of something, versus the premium version.

I would be very much in favor of converting EBT/food stamps into a voucher-based program. Even more so, I'd be even more in favor of turning it in to a soup-line type service, but that's highly unlikely.

Food vouchers, rent vouchers, and that's it. There's no reason or excuse for giving cash to people on welfare.

exactly my stance.

'beggars cant be choosers!'

w1_m2
09-06-2011, 03:28 PM
There are some people on food stamps who don't have the ability to think as you and I do. There is an imbalance in their minds. Many of these people are homeless because they choose to be. This is their way of fighting authority. I have first hand knowledge of this since I spent six months or so helping at our local homeless shelter. As hard as I tried to sway, and help, the young people to improve their lives, they resisted. They wanted the 'freedom' that being homeless offers, at least in their minds. This may be difficult to believe but it is true.

Now, speaking of the people whom I have just described, they have no pots. No stove. No microwave. No refrigerator, utensils, plates...well...you get it. If in fact our nation set up the food stamp program to help those unfortunate people who need help, don't we want them to eat? A hamburger is more healthful than a pastry. Fast food in general is more healthful than chips, ice cream, cola or candy or other items that don't need to be prepared.

Yes there is waste. Yes there are people who abuse the system. Yes there are many that do. I am not addressing whether the food stamp program has merits or not. I am saying that if a homeless person does get food stamps, s/he needs to be able to eat better than so called junk food and fast food is a step above that.

loki8481
09-06-2011, 03:31 PM
do homeless people qualify for food stamps? I always assumed they relied on shelters/soup kitchens.

Nintendesert
09-06-2011, 03:47 PM
There are some people on food stamps who don't have the ability to think as you and I do. There is an imbalance in their minds. Many of these people are homeless because they choose to be. This is their way of fighting authority. I have first hand knowledge of this since I spent six months or so helping at our local homeless shelter. As hard as I tried to sway, and help, the young people to improve their lives, they resisted. They wanted the 'freedom' that being homeless offers, at least in their minds. This may be difficult to believe but it is true.

Now, speaking of the people whom I have just described, they have no pots. No stove. No microwave. No refrigerator, utensils, plates...well...you get it. If in fact our nation set up the food stamp program to help those unfortunate people who need help, don't we want them to eat? A hamburger is more healthful than a pastry. Fast food in general is more healthful than chips, ice cream, cola or candy or other items that don't need to be prepared.

Yes there is waste. Yes there are people who abuse the system. Yes there are many that do. I am not addressing whether the food stamp program has merits or not. I am saying that if a homeless person does get food stamps, s/he needs to be able to eat better than so called junk food and fast food is a step above that.

So if they choose freedom, then they can choose to be hungry too.

Fern
09-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Joke's on you. I make money when people put their penis in my mouth.

You'd grow tits. That should work well for you in your line of work.

Damn, that was funny.

Fern

werepossum
09-06-2011, 05:35 PM
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard."
LOL My ex father-in-law said that old saying was bullshit. If a man is hungry and his family is hungry, and there's a place to fish, then if there's anything at all to him he's already fishing. You can teach him to fish better if he's already fishing, but if he's not already fishing he's not going to bother.

Personally I think the idea of replacing food stamps with something like WIC is a great idea, but you'd have to somehow also accommodate those poor people who do not have facilities to prepare food. And I can't really get too upset over KFC or Taco Bell being purchased on food stamps anyway. There's something to be said for a child raised on food stamps occasionally getting a treat like the rest of us, if only to convey the knowledge that there is a better way to live.

xj0hnx
09-06-2011, 05:47 PM
And I can't really get too upset over KFC or Taco Bell being purchased on food stamps anyway. There's something to be said for a child raised on food stamps occasionally getting a treat like the rest of us, if only to convey the knowledge that there is a better way to live.

I grew up eating in poor Mexican households, and believe me Taco Bell is not a treat. My friends mom will whip up some food that would make you vomit next time you ate Taco Hell, with about four dollars worth of foodies.

werepossum
09-06-2011, 05:59 PM
I grew up eating in poor Mexican households, and believe me Taco Bell is not a treat. My friends mom will whip up some food that would make you vomit next time you ate Taco Hell, with about four dollars worth of foodies.
Presumably those familiar with actual Mexican food would find their treats at KFC or Zaxby's.

I still remember though a local kerfuffle about the school system running its free lunch program all summer, actually delivering free meals to the kids. This very obese woman was interviewed, saying "I think it's a good program, sometimes I forget to fix they lunch." If these women can't be bothered to earn a living, why would we assume that all of them can cook? (And of course the converse would be if they aren't feeding their kids now, why would we think the kids would benefit from KFC or Taco Bell?)

ConstipatedVigilante
09-06-2011, 06:16 PM

Wtf? They didn't earn the money. Therefore there are limits on it. Why is this difficult to understand? If the state is paying for a family to eat, they're going to eat cheap, healthy food from supermarkets. That's it. Restaurant food has never, ever been healthy. And food from supermarkets is FAR, FAR cheaper than food from restaurants.

And when there are billions of dollars at stake here, it becomes a major issue. This isn't a matter of pennies.

Fern
09-06-2011, 06:20 PM

-snip-

Cooking is one of my hobbies. I do all the grocery shopping and cooking for my family.

There is a significant "cost" issue here. Buying your own groceries and cooking/preparing yourself is significantly less expensive that buying hot prepared food from even a fast-food chain. Even considering their 'loss-leaders' like the dollar menu you can prepare cheaper (and better) food yourself.

I see several problems with allowing food stamps to purchase restaurant prepared food. One is, to put it simply, your food stamp $'s will just not go as far. E.g., assuming your food stamps cover exactly the cost of 30 dinners, if food from a (fast food) restaurant is 1/3 more expensive then if they rely only on restaurant food they will have enough for only 20 dinners.

As more people use food stamps at restaurants, the total costs in food stamps must increase else people go without meals.

The second problem is that allowing restaurants to take food stamps encourages them to lobby for more and more food stamps per person so they can spend more (govt) money at the restaurant.

Nutritional concerns are also valid.

Fern

SandEagle
09-06-2011, 06:44 PM
i've tried very hard to live a life without any help or government assistance. but these days it seems these people have it better than i do. its no longer embarrassing to get food stamps. its like a credit card and quite popular

BoberFett
09-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Fern you just hate America. What an evil Republican you are.

Attic
09-06-2011, 07:31 PM
It's clear this would encourage the use of food stamps and therefore increase the cost of the program as well as the profit of the restaurants who get on board.

Other than the pushers motives, I don't have a terrible problem with that tbh, we are talking about feeding people. I'd like to see the program tied to volunteer work (for those capable) or some form of helping others to achieve maximum benefit. Smarter people than me can figure out a reasonable incentive structure.

The lobbying is the ugliest thing here, not the individuals who who stand to benefit. If the restaurants are going to be subsidized by the taxpayer dollar they ought to forfeit a high % of profit (back to the tax payer) from the ability to do so. Then we will see how much integrity is behind all the quotes from the lobbyists that act as though the restaurants are so concerned about the well being of the people they can feed. Those kind are worse than scum.

Better yet, if the taxpayers are going to take a hit from this type of policy, then let the god damned restaurants take a hit as well. Offer a discount menu for those on SNAP and see how that works while attempting to feed the needy at just under a break even cost.

spidey07
09-06-2011, 07:38 PM
It's clear this would encourage the use of food stamps and therefore increase the cost of the program as well as the profit of the restaurants who get on board.

Other than the pushers motives, I don't have a terrible problem with that tbh, we are talking about feeding people. I'd like to see the program tied to volunteer work (for those capable) or some form of helping others to achieve maximum benefit. Smarter people than me can figure out a reasonable incentive structure.

The lobbying is the ugliest thing here, not the individuals who who stand to benefit. If the restaurants are going to be subsidized by the taxpayer dollar they ought to forfeit a high % of profit (back to the tax payer) from the ability to do so. Then we will see how much integrity is behind all the quotes from the lobbyists that act as though the restaurants are so concerned about the well being of the people they can feed. Those kind are worse than scum.

Better yet, if the taxpayers are going to take a hit from this type of policy, then let the god damned restaurants take a hit as well. Offer a discount menu for those on SNAP and see how that works while attempting to feed the needy at a break even cost.

Restaurant/business response to your proposal?

Raise prices on paying customers to make up the loss. So the tax payer gets double screwed.

piasabird
09-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Once in a while a man, a woman or a child deserves a good meal. Are all men truly created equal?

Craig234
09-06-2011, 07:42 PM

Raise prices on paying customers to make up the loss. So the tax payer gets double screwed.

What part of "break even" did yo unot understand, not that it'll happen?

Balt
09-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Good idea. And after they become morbidly obese from eating fast food for every meal, we can pay for their medical care too.

Edit: For the record, I don't have a problem with food stamps. I don't believe we, as a civilized society, should just let people starve. I don't support letting food stamps be used for more than the necessities, however. If you want more options, pay for them yourselves.

spittledip
09-06-2011, 09:28 PM
The most obvious problem is that the poor will have even more options to buy garbage food. I have no problem with food stamps if they are used to buy good food. Why would the govt move in this direction? Why are there not more restrictions on what can be bought?

Engineer
09-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Food stamps need to be cut back and made like WIC. Give them a list of stuff that they can buy and that's it. If they don't like it, starve.

Howard
09-06-2011, 10:00 PM

You think they would rather raise prices than stop accepting food stamps?

DCal430
09-06-2011, 10:41 PM
If a poor person on food stamps wants lobster they should be able to buy it. If they want filet mignon who are we to say no. Stop being snobby and hating on the people who have so little. Seems like if most of you had your way the poor would be eating gruel, with stale bread, and dry chicken. Stop being classist.

peonyu
09-06-2011, 10:51 PM
It's a crime; you're a criminal if you buy them; perhaps we should increase the security against this, requiring photo id.

Crime or not its rampant, and ID would help. As it is now i dont think any form of ID is needed to use them.

And because its so easy to abuse, its easy to see how [and why] freeloaders who normally would have no money for beer or drugs are able to get them by trading their stamps away for real money.

BoberFett
09-06-2011, 11:15 PM
If a poor person on food stamps wants lobster they should be able to buy it. If they want filet mignon who are we to say no. Stop being snobby and hating on the people who have so little. Seems like if most of you had your way the poor would be eating gruel, with stale bread, and dry chicken. Stop being classist.

If a poor person wants a new car, who are we to say no? If a poor person wants a free McMansion, society owes it to them!

Goddamnit, everything should be free for everyone, then nobody would be poor!

OutHouse
09-06-2011, 11:24 PM
"Mammy just got her food stamps in ! She gonna take us all to da Red Lobster since she work so hard fo them !"

Because red lobster is known for its high class dining experience?

Throckmorton
09-07-2011, 12:37 AM
These days fast food is probably cheaper than cooking. Unless you're talking about a diet consisting solely of rice.

Engineer
09-07-2011, 04:31 AM
These days fast food is probably cheaper than cooking. Unless you're talking about a diet consisting solely of rice.

LOL. Not even close.

Rifter
09-07-2011, 04:59 AM
Society is fucked, Honestly i believe its to late to change at this point. Whats next goverment supplied ferraris so the poor can rip to KFC and buy there chicken.

When i first moved out on my own i was so poor, making less than $8 a hour working not even full time and had a rent payment of $650 a month. I made all my own bread/buns from scratch and only bought crappy cuts of meat and usually only what was on sale. Bought flour in bulk and rice in bulk. Ate alot of ramen and mac and cheese and NEVER ate out for months on end, didnt have cable TV or go to movies. I did have internet and thats how i entertained myself. Life literally sucked for a few years but i was too proud to move back home or ask parents or goverment for a handout.

How many people would go through that nowdays? not many i'll bet, today everyone thinks they are entitled to a good life even when they put in zero effort, they think leeching off others is fine.

I dont understnad how people can just let themselves get cought up in this entitlement society, it would drive me crazy, i hate owing people money and never take handouts. its just not how i was raised.

People need to go out and get jobs, honetly its not that hard and if you are dirt poor you just dont pick and choose you apply for any and all jobs. I've had over 20 jobs in my lifetime so far, only maybe 3 or 4 that i liked. But you do what you need to do to put food in your mouth. I've worked roofing during the summer in 30 degree celcius heat, i've worked in shit processing plants, ive worked in warehouses of very dangerous chemicals where safty procedures were thrown out the window, alot of it sucked but it put food on my table. And i never went more than a week between jobs ever for the simple reason i never had enough money saved to support myself longer than that. You can ALWAYS get a job if you are willing to do whatever it takes to support yourself.

Now that i am older and have a much better job and i look back im proud of what i went though and how i made it on my own. What do people on the dole think, they look back and are proud of how they leech off everone else thats actually working and paying taxes? how they leech of people like me when i was 17 and barly feeding myself yet i had to support there lazy asses to by paying taxes. So there i am eating ramen and baking my own bread and they get to eat at KFC on the goverment dime? WTF?

Its crap like this that honestly makes me think I should just buy some land up north and become a hermit, dealing with the entitlement society we have now pisses me off to no extent.

Conscript
09-07-2011, 05:28 AM
I'm ok with as long as it's contingent on them filling out an application when they show up at Taco Bell/KFC. If they can make it there to order, they can make it there to work. Annnd they will get employee discounts to boot.

Sorry in advance libs, know this already goes against your ideals, but your ideals are already turning us into a second rate Euro country. I'll take this option over mandatory Chinese language classes for my children, if we don't start getting back, and quick, to what made this country great once. And that is simply being rewarded for your own hard work, and not for soneone elses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

ShawnD1
09-07-2011, 05:35 AM
boberfet thinks your diet should be carrots and celery. Calories? What are those? I don't need calories because all of my energy comes from smoking meth.
Damn real food is ridiculously expensive (compared to starch). What's funked is that cooked chickens at Costco are actually cheaper than raw chickens. The only reason I buy the raw ones is because I like to cook stuff myself.

IMO, poor people shouldn't be able to afford Beef. I can't, so they shouldn't either. That stuff is at least twice as expensive as pork. Beef t-bone steak (called t-bone steak) is expensive as hell but pork t-bone steak (called pork chops) are slightly more expensive than a palm job from a shemale. Why do people eat pork anyway? It's more expensive than chicken yet it sucks. What the fug?

ShawnD1
09-07-2011, 05:42 AM
Sorry in advance libs, know this already goes against your ideals, but your ideals are already turning us into a second rate Euro country.
Maybe you're not aware of this but poor parts of the US are much worse than anything you can find in Europe. Even the crappy war torn parts of Europe.

One thing Europeans and Canadians immediately notice about the US is how poor the poor areas are. It's just unbelievable. We don't see that stuff in our own countries.

pcgeek11
09-07-2011, 07:01 AM
Maybe you're not aware of this but poor parts of the US are much worse than anything you can find in Europe. Even the crappy war torn parts of Europe.

One thing Europeans and Canadians immediately notice about the US is how poor the poor areas are. It's just unbelievable. We don't see that stuff in our own countries.

http://www.neurope.eu/article/slum-dwellers-approaching-billion-mark
Slum dwellers approaching the billion mark
Article | January 12, 2008 - 2:55pm | By

Close to one billion people, or one in every six, live in an urban slum. At the European Parliament in Strasbourg recently, MEP Gay Mitchell of Ireland the Commissioner for Development Louis Michel about what is being done to improve the lives of slum dwellers. MEP Mitchell said:

I have also been to the Czech Republic... :O What a dump.

theevilsharpie
09-07-2011, 09:05 AM
I'm ok with as long as it's contingent on them filling out an application when they show up at Taco Bell/KFC. If they can make it there to order, they can make it there to work. Annnd they will get employee discounts to boot.

Sorry in advance libs, know this already goes against your ideals, but your ideals are already turning us into a second rate Euro country. I'll take this option over mandatory Chinese language classes for my children, if we don't start getting back, and quick, to what made this country great once. And that is simply being rewarded for your own hard work, and not for soneone elses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

The minimum wage in the US is $7.25/hr. I'm not sure how much Taco Bell or KFC workers make, but I doubt it's much higher than minimum wage for anyone other than the managers. Assuming that the worker is working a full-time (40 hours/week), that works out to a yearly gross salary of about $15,000.

For somebody with one or more children, that salary would still make them eligible for food stamps. And although I've never worked in the fast-food industry, it's my understanding that full-time non-management positions are not the norm.

xj0hnx
09-07-2011, 09:13 AM

Please don't post again until you move out of your mothers basement.

xj0hnx
09-07-2011, 09:15 AM

You've never been to a Bulgarian ghetto have you? The US doesn't know what real poverty is anymore.

96Firebird
09-07-2011, 10:03 AM
The minimum wage in the US is $7.25/hr. I'm not sure how much Taco Bell or KFC workers make, but I doubt it's much higher than minimum wage for anyone other than the managers. Assuming that the worker is working a full-time (40 hours/week), that works out to a yearly gross salary of about $15,000.

For somebody with one or more children, that salary would still make them eligible for food stamps. And although I've never worked in the fast-food industry, it's my understanding that full-time non-management positions are not the norm.

Ok, they can still get food stamps while they're working, just not as much as they used to. But why work for the same amount you get for not working?

BoberFett
09-07-2011, 10:15 AM
boberfet thinks your diet should be carrots and celery. Calories? What are those? I don't need calories because all of my energy comes from smoking meth.
Damn real food is ridiculously expensive (compared to starch). What's funked is that cooked chickens at Costco are actually cheaper than raw chickens. The only reason I buy the raw ones is because I like to cook stuff myself.

IMO, poor people shouldn't be able to afford Beef. I can't, so they shouldn't either. That stuff is at least twice as expensive as pork. Beef t-bone steak (called t-bone steak) is expensive as hell but pork t-bone steak (called pork chops) are slightly more expensive than a palm job from a shemale. Why do people eat pork anyway? It's more expensive than chicken yet it sucks. What the fug?

And you think that dick is one of the food groups, so we shouldn't put too much stock in your opinion.

People eat way too much meat and not enough vegetables. Also, if you think vegetables are a starch you're an imbecile. They're fiber.

If poor people want meat they can eat ground beef. Steak is for people who can afford it.

drebo
09-07-2011, 10:16 AM

You can make some very nutritious meals for a lot less than fast food. Tuna noodle casserole, for instance. Half pound of cooked noodles ($0.50), half cup of frozen peas ($0.05), two cans tuna ($2.00), can of cream of mushroom soup ($1.00). That's $3.55 for 4 servings, covering all your basic food groups. You get some good protein, carbs, fat, and vitamins. Varients on this same basic theme are endless. You can do chicken and rice. Pot roast is very easy to make and for about $10 could feed a family of 5 very easily.

It's not hard, and it's WAY less expensive than eating fast food.

Edit: Also, you need to know how to shop sales. At least once per month, one grocery store or another will have raw chickens on sale for $0.69/lb or less. That puts you at ~$3.50 for a chicken to feed your family. A little bit of salt and pepper and salad dressing, and an hour and a half in the oven, and you've got your meat for the day. Add some potatos and carrots and rice (all available very cheaply) and you've got enough for two meals, most likely.

Howard
09-07-2011, 10:20 AM

It's a pity that people used to know how to eat poor (and relatively well). Now they just eat poor and get fat.

DirthNader
09-07-2011, 10:30 AM
It's a pity that people used to know how to eat poor (and relatively well). Now they just eat poor and get fat.

It's not that they're eating poor, it's that they're eating poor & easy. Processed junk is quicker and easier than actually cooking.

I've lived in South Africa. Those people are eating poor, but they're not eating processed junk; a lot of rice, a lot of beans, some meat. Guess what, they're not fat.

werepossum
09-07-2011, 10:35 AM
It's not that they're eating poor, it's that they're eating poor & easy. Processed junk is quicker and easier than actually cooking.

I've lived in South Africa. Those people are eating poor, but they're not eating processed junk; a lot of rice, a lot of beans, some meat. Guess what, they're not fat.
People on welfare are not characterized by their drive and ambition. Nor by their good decisions.

Spikesoldier
09-07-2011, 11:05 AM
hey spidey, are you gonna check out the line at taco bell at midnight of the first of each month and see whos lined up around the block?

think KFC will have special hours and be open @ midnight on the 1st's only?

umbrella39
09-07-2011, 11:29 AM
hey spidey, are you gonna check out the line at taco bell at midnight of the first of each month and see whos lined up around the block?

think KFC will have special hours and be open @ midnight on the 1st's only?

Are you two going out on a date?

Pst, again, those on food stamps aren't clamoring to use them at Taco Bell or KFC. Your hinted bigotry is full of fail...

theevilsharpie
09-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Ok, they can still get food stamps while they're working, just not as much as they used to. But why work for the same amount you get for not working?

Being on food stamps doesn't necessarily imply that someone is unemployed. As I mentioned in my example, someone with even just one kid can qualify for food stamps if all they're making is minimum wage, even if they're working full time.

RearAdmiral
09-07-2011, 12:01 PM
I like how you left out the two restaurants that white people eat at in your title.

Spikesoldier
09-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Are you two going out on a date?

Pst, again, those on food stamps aren't clamoring to use them at Taco Bell or KFC. Your hinted bigotry is full of fail...

your hinted faggotry couldnt be more fail.

ah the typical mean, angry liberal. who has to resort to personal attacks when his argument has been shot the fuck down by exposing the reality that we breed entitlement, incompetence, and laziness. oh forgot to throw greed in there.

gotta give you the last part of your post. i dont see sheniqua lobbying or protesting for her right to get free meals at taco bell and dare i say KFC. she and everyone else in this country is too damn lazy to do that. but when given the green light on it, she and everyone else on benefits will abuse the shit out of it like vultures given the opportunity. i mean, there is no consequence, right?

werepossum
09-07-2011, 12:08 PM
I like how you left out the two restaurants that white people eat at in your title.
WTF? My family eats at Taco Bell & KFC much more often than at Long John Silver's and Pizza Hut. I seriously doubt you'd find any racial component to the patronage of any of these restaurant chains.

xj0hnx
09-07-2011, 12:17 PM

What exactly are you trying to say? You don't think that minorities eat LJS's? Or Pizza? Nice, I thought liberals didn't do the whole "stereotyping" thing.

piasabird
09-07-2011, 12:49 PM
You guys are funny. So you are saying poor people can not eat fried chicken? Are you racist?

I eat fried chicken sometimes and almost always eat out because it is expensive and messy to use all that oil (and buy it) (and store it). So eating fried chicken in a restraunt is probably saving money.

ShawnD1
09-07-2011, 12:51 PM
I eat fried chicken sometimes and almost always eat out because it is expensive and messy to use all that oil (and buy it) (and store it). So eating fried chicken in a restraunt is probably saving money.
Oil is not single use. You're supposed to keep the oil, filter it, then deep fry in it again. When I worked at mcdicks, we would use the same oil for about 2 weeks. It would get filtered and de-acidified with magnesium silicate every night.

Howard
09-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Oil is not single use. You're supposed to keep the oil, filter it, then deep fry in it again. When I worked at mcdicks, we would use the same oil for about 2 weeks. It would get filtered and de-acidified with magnesium silicate every night.
Yeah, but what do you do with it after, if you don't have a car that runs WVO?

spidey07
09-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Yeah, but what do you do with it after, if you don't have a car that runs WVO?

Dump it in the creek/yard or put it in the trash.

momeNt
09-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Have you guys seen that disgusting Subway commercial about how much oil we use to cook our food at places like McDonald's and KFC? Very gross!

bfdd
09-07-2011, 04:33 PM
And you think that dick is one of the food groups, so we shouldn't put too much stock in your opinion.

People eat way too much meat and not enough vegetables. Also, if you think vegetables are a starch you're an imbecile. They're fiber.

If poor people want meat they can eat ground beef. Steak is for people who can afford it.

people eat to much processed grain, meat isn't bad for you.

If you are poor and on food assistance, you should be given the bare minimum of RAW materials needed to sustain yourself. They should also have classes and discount cookware offered for those that wish to take advantage of the education. If people want to eat luxury things, like fast food, they can pay for it themselves like everyone fucking else. luxury items are just that, luxury. if you want luxurious things, you have to work hard for them.

now don't get me wrong, i believe there's way to much welfare going on at the top as well. i also put more weight onto that, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't pull back our welfare on either side of the totem pole.

ShawnD1
09-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Dump it in the creek/yard or put it in the trash.
I have a fireplace so I just burn it. That started to stink so we don't do that anymore :awe:
Add soap and wash it down the sink. Do it in stages. Don't just dump the oil in the sink then hope you can soap it down. That's a great way to clog the pipes.
That's also how we dumped oil at mcdicks. When the grease pit is full, you put it down the sink with lots of soap and water.

Have you guys seen that disgusting Subway commercial about how much oil we use to cook our food at places like McDonald's and KFC? Very gross!
Probably the same amount we use at home. Frying is frying regardless of who does it.

Infohawk
09-07-2011, 04:44 PM
I don't get the outrage here. People seem to be acting like fast food is a luxury when it's frequently the opposite. Who cares if people get their food at Taco Bell? The only concern is that it's unhealthy but then people would cry about a nanny state.

bfdd
09-07-2011, 04:59 PM
I don't get the outrage here. People seem to be acting like fast food is a luxury when it's frequently the opposite. Who cares if people get their food at Taco Bell? The only concern is that it's unhealthy but then people would cry about a nanny state.

paying other people to cook for you IS A LUXURY. giving people what they need to survive and teaching them how to cook is a far better investment and probably wouldn't cost a cent more, in fact we'd probably save money overall. just because we live in the first world where luxuries are cheap and abundant doesn't change the fact they're luxuries.

Infohawk
09-07-2011, 05:08 PM
paying other people to cook for you IS A LUXURY. giving people what they need to survive and teaching them how to cook is a far better investment and probably wouldn't cost a cent more, in fact we'd probably save money overall. just because we live in the first world where luxuries are cheap and abundant doesn't change the fact they're luxuries.

Division of labor is a fundamental aspect of the capitalist economy. Is it a luxury to be able to buy food at a supermarket? Maybe we should make them cultivate their own seeds from the wild for their own back yard so we don't make it too easy on them.

In any case, it seems like its frequently cheaper (which makes sense because of specialization / division of labor) to buy food at a fast food place then to buy all the ingredients, some of which will go bad before you consume all of it.

ShawnD1
09-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Division of labor is a fundamental aspect of the capitalist economy. Is it a luxury to be able to buy food at a supermarket? Maybe we should make them cultivate their own seeds from the wild for their own back yard so we don't make it too easy on them.
I tried making my own clothes once. Bitch across the street called the police because my version of pants has a hole in the front where my dong can hang out and get fresh air.

BoberFett
09-07-2011, 05:30 PM
people eat to much processed grain, meat isn't bad for you.

If you are poor and on food assistance, you should be given the bare minimum of RAW materials needed to sustain yourself. They should also have classes and discount cookware offered for those that wish to take advantage of the education. If people want to eat luxury things, like fast food, they can pay for it themselves like everyone fucking else. luxury items are just that, luxury. if you want luxurious things, you have to work hard for them.

now don't get me wrong, i believe there's way to much welfare going on at the top as well. i also put more weight onto that, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't pull back our welfare on either side of the totem pole.

Again, vegetables are not a grain or starch. They're fiber, packed with nutrients, and most Americans don't get enough of them let alone the poor.

bfdd
09-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Again, vegetables are not a grain or starch. They're fiber, packed with nutrients, and most Americans don't get enough of them let alone the poor.

Yes I know this. I said processed grains, which are quite different. Veggies are good for you, they help clean your intestines. Eating tons of flour and corn is terrible for you though and that's what we've been pushing for years.

ShawnD1
09-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Yes I know this. I said processed grains, which are quite different. Veggies are good for you, they help clean your intestines. Eating tons of flour and corn is terrible for you though and that's what we've been pushing for years.

Corn mostly passes through you. This is why you can see corn in your shit after eating corn on the cob.

bfdd
09-07-2011, 05:36 PM

In any case, it seems like its frequently cheaper (which makes sense because of specialization / division of labor) to buy food at a fast food place then to buy all the ingredients, some of which will go bad before you consume all of it.

it's not. do you know how many french fries i can make for 10 bucks? a metric fuck ton more than I can buy at any fast food place. potatoes are cheap as fuck. you can buy 1/4 patties pre-fabbed for less than a dollar a patty and they ain't any worse than mcdonalds either. Buns can be had 12 for a buck. I can make a much better mini meal for myself than McDonalds can for roughly the same price, I pay for the luxury of having someone else do it for me.

It would be CHEAPER in the grand scheme of things to give people food and teach them to cook for themselves. We'd be teaching them a very crucial skill in which they could then turn around, if good enough, make money off by having their own little restaurant. Or not because cost of entering business due to regulations is so high. lols @ regulations.

Corn mostly passes through you. This is why you can see corn in your shit after eating corn on the cob.

All you take from it are sugars. Corn is nutritionally horrible for Humans, yet we force it on people in this country. Corn is fucking terrible and should be eaten very sparingly.

xj0hnx
09-07-2011, 05:37 PM

If you eat bullshit sure. You can get a $1 "burger", and $1 fries at McDonalds, for two bucks you can buy way more ground beef, and for a couple more bucks some buns, and make a burger that is not only better, but better for you.

bfdd
09-07-2011, 05:39 PM
If you eat bullshit sure. You can get a $1 "burger", and $1 fries at McDonalds, for two bucks you can buy way more ground beef, and for a couple more bucks some buns, and make a burger that is not only better, but better for you.

ground beef is a little bit more at the store, but it's generally a slightly higher quality. if you buy the lower quality patties, which are more along the lines of what McDonalds sells, they're roughly the same price for more meat.

Infohawk
09-07-2011, 05:40 PM
It would be CHEAPER in the grand scheme of things to give people food and teach them to cook for themselves.

So is it cheaper if we all go back to being farmers and cultivate our own food and sew our own clothes? Of course not. Again, society is wealthier because we divide labor and specialize. And I don't see why you stop at cooking your own food when every other part of the process relies on other people too.

Anyway, it's hard for me to get bent out of shape about people eating at Taco Bell. It's cheap crap food.

bfdd
09-07-2011, 05:48 PM
So is it cheaper if we all go back to being farmers and cultivate our own food and sew our own clothes? Of course not. Again, society is wealthier because we divide labor and specialize. And I don't see why you stop at cooking your own food when every other part of the process relies on other people too.

Anyway, it's hard for me to get bent out of shape about people eating at Taco Bell. It's cheap crap food.

Infohawk, if you're going to do everything for someone, they're no better than children or pets. Is this how you view them? As helpless children? People need to be driven to do something, without it they just wallow around and get restless. Cheap crap food, same reason people bitch about smokers with universal health care huh? Oh pay for their healthcare, no why should I? they make poor decisions. They can't even make the right choices when given the ability to make them FOR FREE. Please, teaching people to cook their own food, to do things for themselves will drive them to be more independent and try to do MORE FOR THEMSELVES.

If it costs exactly the same amount to give these people food and teach them to cook it vs paying for them to get other people to do it for them, we absolutely should make them help themselves. Your argument against it doesn't make any logical sense, unless you think of these people as lesser beings compared to yourself. You know like I said you would view a child.

BoberFett
09-07-2011, 05:51 PM

And who has been pushing grains, primarily corn?

Damn free market!

Oh wait, it's the government.

Infohawk
09-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Infohawk, if you're going to do everything for someone, they're no better than children or pets. Is this how you view them? As helpless children? People need to be driven to do something, without it they just wallow around and get restless. Cheap crap food, same reason people bitch about smokers with universal health care huh? Oh pay for their healthcare, no why should I? they make poor decisions. They can't even make the right choices when given the ability to make them FOR FREE. Please, teaching people to cook their own food, to do things for themselves will drive them to be more independent and try to do MORE FOR THEMSELVES.

If it costs exactly the same amount to give these people food and teach them to cook it vs paying for them to get other people to do it for them, we absolutely should make them help themselves. Your argument against it doesn't make any logical sense, unless you think of these people as lesser beings compared to yourself. You know like I said you would view a child.

Does someone else making your automobile make you less of a person? Does someone making your clothes for you making you're not free? It sounds like you think they would be better off if they were sent into our national forests to survive on their own...

Modelworks
09-07-2011, 06:00 PM
I get upset about this because when I was 10 years old I remember getting scolded because I bought a ten cent piece of candy with money my mother gave me to buy a loaf of bread. She gave me $5 and told me to return with the change and when she saw that I spent money on candy she got mad. I didn't understand what was going on at the time but that $5 was the last bit of money we had and that 10 cents I spent really counted. We didn't qualify for food stamps because my parents were in a divorce and at the time the laws were different. I watched other families trade food stamps for cash or buy steaks and sell them for money. This was when food stamps were printed on paper like money, easily traded. The program hasn't improved since then and it needs to go, not be increased to even more abuse.

Feeding people is fine, do it like WIC. If someone is homeless and chooses that life then that is totally different from someone who is homeless and wants help. I would be all for government run soup kitchens in areas that have people in need of food. I am not against feeding people that are hungry, I do it every month, from handouts of food to shelters to handing out food to people begging out in front of stores. I am against this needless waste of resources when other option exist.

bfdd
09-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Does someone else making your automobile make you less of a person? Does someone making your clothes for you making you're not free? It sounds like you think they would be better off if they were sent into our national forests to survive on their own...

If I had the means to make my own I would, I don't. Feeding yourself is a CRUCIAL NECESSITY. The bare minimum of which is food preparation. Finding/killing/growing your own food is the step before that which we've killed the necessity of due to advancements in farming. Clothes, cars, aren't necessities. Cooking your own food is cheaper and healthier than buying cheap fast food. This reduces costs on society and allows us to offer more in terms of social benefits, but fuck that noise. Poor people need their luxuries! PS, when I can't afford to eat out. I don't.

You guys make no sense, your logic is incredibly flawed and it's annoying as fuck. I am a supporter of intelligent social services. I don't think anyone should go hungry in the USA, the fact that people do straight blows my mind. We don't need to keep pushing people lower and lower into stupidity. You guys don't want 3rd world wages, but you're sure ok with turning people into 3rd worlders.

Also, BF I know those things. I don't know why you're so hostile towards me when we generally hold more common ground on these topics.

BoberFett
09-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Also, BF I know those things. I don't know why you're so hostile towards me when we generally hold more common ground on these topics.

Sorry, not trying to sound hostile towards you, I'm being rhetorical in response to your posts, not necessarily directing them at you.

Engineer
09-07-2011, 06:28 PM

So Obama was President in 2005?

from the article (that you so conveniently left out)....

Between 2005 and 2010

Now that's out of the way, time to put the clamps down on welfare and food stamps. Basic staples pre-picked (ala Wic style) is all that should be given (if even that).

Howard
09-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Even people with polar-opposite viewpoints should not be hostile to each other.

BarneyFife
09-07-2011, 06:30 PM

Well if it comes down to money, its impossible to beat the $5 hot and ready or the $1 double cheeseburger. For example

1 lb hamburger 2.00 (generally its more expensive but we'll get the cheap stuff for this example)

Hamburger buns 1.50
Ketchup 1.50
Onions 1.00
Cheese $3.00
Plus the cost of electricity or gas for the oven, water/soap to clean the dishes and the pan.

Or you can get 4 double cheeseburgers for $4 and you're done with it.

The $5 hot and ready there is no way you can replicate that for $5.

Fern
09-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Well if it comes down to money, its impossible to beat the $5 hot and ready or the $1 double cheeseburger. For example

1 lb hamburger 2.00 (generally its more expensive but we'll get the cheap stuff for this example)

Hamburger buns 1.50
Ketchup 1.50
Onions 1.00
Cheese $3.00
Plus the cost of electricity or gas for the oven, water/soap to clean the dishes and the pan.

Those are both good deals.

I've worked it out. I think can at least tie the $1 double cheeseburger by prepping myself with careful shopping. They use only 3 oz patties, and you don't use all the cheese, ketchup, onion or buns like your above example seems to imply.

Don't have a pizza oven, never tried that one. But I did own 50% of a (franchise) pizza place once. Food costs for pizza's averages about 17-18%. So, even if you get the pizza at 1/2 price food costs itself is still less 40% of the price you pay.

I suspect the dollar menu stuff is mostly loss-leaders, hoping you'll buy a drink etc too. I don't think they get much above food costs on that stuff.

Fern

werepossum
09-07-2011, 06:54 PM
I get upset about this because when I was 10 years old I remember getting scolded because I bought a ten cent piece of candy with money my mother gave me to buy a loaf of bread. She gave me $5 and told me to return with the change and when she saw that I spent money on candy she got mad. I didn't understand what was going on at the time but that $5 was the last bit of money we had and that 10 cents I spent really counted. We didn't qualify for food stamps because my parents were in a divorce and at the time the laws were different. I watched other families trade food stamps for cash or buy steaks and sell them for money. This was when food stamps were printed on paper like money, easily traded. The program hasn't improved since then and it needs to go, not be increased to even more abuse.

Feeding people is fine, do it like WIC. If someone is homeless and chooses that life then that is totally different from someone who is homeless and wants help. I would be all for government run soup kitchens in areas that have people in need of food. I am not against feeding people that are hungry, I do it every month, from handouts of food to shelters to handing out food to people begging out in front of stores. I am against this needless waste of resources when other option exist.
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of making all food stamps work like WIC, targeted to certain healthy foods and necessaries like toilet paper. There would need to be some method of handling people who have no cooking facilities though, and some method of teaching cooking skills to people who have none.

drebo
09-07-2011, 06:56 PM

Hamburger buns 1.50
Ketchup 1.50
Onions 1.00
Cheese $3.00

I don't think anyone from any side will ever advocate poor people eating nothing but double cheese burgers and pepperoni pizza.

That said, I showed above how you can make a 4-serving tuna noodle casserole for under $4.

BoberFett
09-07-2011, 07:22 PM

Hamburger buns 1.50
Ketchup 1.50
Onions 1.00
Cheese $3.00

Wait, so you're honestly going to try to compare those ingredients to 4 McDonalds burgers? The ingredients listed here will make the equivalent of 8 McDonald's cheeseburgers. And you'll still have leftover onions, cheese and ketchup. So just go get yourself another $3.50 worth of meat and buns and you can make another 8 burgers. So you can make 8 burgers for $9. Or for $12.50 you can make 16. There, it's cheaper than McDonalds.

And you're adding in the cost of cooking and cleanup? Oh no, $0.10 for electricity and soap! Did you add in the cost of gas to drive to McDonalds? I bet it's more than $0.10.

Intellectually dishonest to the end. Typical Democrat.

werepossum
09-07-2011, 07:25 PM
On a side note, I'm off to pick up Taco Bell on the way home. Yay!

Veevester
09-07-2011, 07:29 PM
This pisses me off...

My parents have owned the same convenience store since 1986. I've worked there since I was a kid, and still work one day a week so my folks can have a day off. When they bought it, it had a nice deli. Dad cut steaks, ground beef, had pork chops, chicken, and deli slicer, sold homemade sausages, a little of everything, nice neighborhood store. He has always accepted food stamps. Eventually he had to close the deli, the neighborhood changed, and the products people were buying with their food stamps changed. He still stocks pre-packaged deli-meats, ham steaks, shredded & block cheeses, eggs, veggies, so he can have some decent things for the few people who are on food stamps that still care enough to eat well.

I worked this past Labor Day, it was the 5th, which is food stamp day.

Here's what I saw...one woman came in a bought a 30 pack of coke & 3 big bags of chips. Another woman, bought 4 1L pepsi's @ 1.69, plus a couple 24 oz sodas. She could buy 2 2L for $3, no consideration for smart shopping. All in all, she spent over $30 on strictly junk food. Another person comes in and buys 4 frozen breakfasts for their kids....all day long, for 70% of the food stamp shoppers it is like this, chips, soda, frozen foods, little debbie snacks, candy bars. At least 1/2 of the customers will then pull out their wad of cash and buy cigarettes. Oh, and a few will walk out, and get into their Lexus.

I will also note here, that I believe in the idea of helping the poor. I work for a homeless shelter, soup kitchen and food pantry. I believe in the idea of charity for people who have fallen on hard times, as well as the many veterans, and mentally ill people we serve. We serve a balance meal every day, open to everyone, and our cook is damn good. So there is always an option for someone to get a meal, not one poor person in our city would "go hungry".

But for food stamps to be accepted at fast food joints is straight out ridiculous :thumbsdown:

ShawnD1
09-07-2011, 07:34 PM
ground beef is a little bit more at the store, but it's generally a slightly higher quality. if you buy the lower quality patties, which are more along the lines of what McDonalds sells, they're roughly the same price for more meat.
Where would you even buy mcdicks meat? The hamburger at Costco is hardcore lean and it's expensive. Stuff at mcdonalds is extra fatty which means extra low quality.

Plus the cost of electricity or gas for the oven
Fuel is surprisingly cheap. The amount of methanol needed to deep fry a whole batch of chicken in a fondue is less than $1. I've been using the same 1 gallon jug of methanol for more than a month and I fondue all the time. It takes about 1L of oil as well so that's about 1-2 bucks. The rest is just the cost of the meat. Add soy sauce and worcestorshire to the final product and wrap it in a small piece of white bread. Delicious! That's what I'm making right now!

ShawnD1
09-07-2011, 07:58 PM
all day long, for 70% of the food stamp shoppers it is like this, chips, soda, frozen foods, little debbie snacks, candy bars.
Poor people are not known for their intelligence. Rent to own furniture? Where do I sign up???

alkemyst
09-07-2011, 08:01 PM
They should advertise you can use food stamps at KFC at .50cents on the dollar (half value)...all those that show up; mow them down with a chain gun.

profit!

Howard
09-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Where would you even buy mcdicks meat? The hamburger at Costco is hardcore lean and it's expensive. Stuff at mcdonalds is extra fatty which means extra low quality.
Wha? Burgers need to have fat.

drebo
09-07-2011, 08:15 PM

As pointed out, you want a good percentage of fat in burgers. 85/15 is my preferred. I wouldn't go lower than 93/7 for burgers. 80/20 is decent for all purpose and is usually on sale somewhere every weekend for $2.50/lb. If that's really to much, you can often find 75/25 for $1.69/lb.

I usually get 80/20 because it's a good balance of lean and cheap.

Fuel is surprisingly cheap. The amount of methanol needed to deep fry a whole batch of chicken in a fondue is less than $1. I've been using the same 1 gallon jug of methanol for more than a month and I fondue all the time. It takes about 1L of oil as well so that's about 1-2 bucks. The rest is just the cost of the meat. Add soy sauce and worcestorshire to the final product and wrap it in a small piece of white bread. Delicious! That's what I'm making right now!

Most poor people don't pay their own electricity and gas bills. They're heavily subsidized. It's always pissed me off cause they always run their AC, 24/7, because they know they don't have to pay for it. But I run it less than 2 hrs/day averaged over the summer because it's fucking expensive.

drebo
09-07-2011, 08:16 PM
This pisses me off...

My parents have owned the same convenience store since 1986. I've worked there since I was a kid, and still work one day a week so my folks can have a day off. When they bought it, it had a nice deli. Dad cut steaks, ground beef, had pork chops, chicken, and deli slicer, sold homemade sausages, a little of everything, nice neighborhood store. He has always accepted food stamps. Eventually he had to close the deli, the neighborhood changed, and the products people were buying with their food stamps changed. He still stocks pre-packaged deli-meats, ham steaks, shredded & block cheeses, eggs, veggies, so he can have some decent things for the few people who are on food stamps that still care enough to eat well.

Here's what I saw...one woman came in a bought a 30 pack of coke & 3 big bags of chips. Another woman, bought 4 1L pepsi's @ 1.69, plus a couple 24 oz sodas. She could buy 2 2L for $3, no consideration for smart shopping. All in all, she spent over $30 on strictly junk food. Another person comes in and buys 4 frozen breakfasts for their kids....all day long, for 70% of the food stamp shoppers it is like this, chips, soda, frozen foods, little debbie snacks, candy bars. At least 1/2 of the customers will then pull out their wad of cash and buy cigarettes. Oh, and a few will walk out, and get into their Lexus.

I will also note here, that I believe in the idea of helping the poor. I work for a homeless shelter, soup kitchen and food pantry. I believe in the idea of charity for people who have fallen on hard times, as well as the many veterans, and mentally ill people we serve. We serve a balance meal every day, open to everyone, and our cook is damn good. So there is always an option for someone to get a meal, not one poor person in our city would "go hungry".

But for food stamps to be accepted at fast food joints is straight out ridiculous :thumbsdown:

This is exactly why WIC needs to be expanded and the "food stamp" program and EBT programs need to be phased out. I'm not against them getting a bottle of pepsi, but they should be limited to the generic 2 liter variety.

BoberFett
09-07-2011, 08:52 PM
This is exactly why WIC needs to be expanded and the "food stamp" program and EBT programs need to be phased out. I'm not against them getting a bottle of pepsi, but they should be limited to the generic 2 liter variety.

Why are poor people drinking pop? A glass of water out of the tap is almost free.

alkemyst
09-07-2011, 09:02 PM

Hamburger buns 1.50
Ketchup 1.50
Onions 1.00
Cheese $3.00

You would not be using 1.50 in ketchup nor $3.00 in cheese...an onion should not be $1.00 either. Even store buns should be $1.00 and that is like 8.

4 double cheeseburgers also is not a lb of burger.

BarneyFife
09-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Wait, so you're honestly going to try to compare those ingredients to 4 McDonalds burgers? The ingredients listed here will make the equivalent of 8 McDonald's cheeseburgers. And you'll still have leftover onions, cheese and ketchup. So just go get yourself another $3.50 worth of meat and buns and you can make another 8 burgers. So you can make 8 burgers for $9. Or for $12.50 you can make 16. There, it's cheaper than McDonalds.

And you're adding in the cost of cooking and cleanup? Oh no, $0.10 for electricity and soap! Did you add in the cost of gas to drive to McDonalds? I bet it's more than $0.10.

Intellectually dishonest to the end. Typical Democrat.

Did you add the cost of gas to drive to the grocery store? I bet it's more than .10

BoberFett
09-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Did you add the cost of gas to drive to the grocery store? I bet it's more than .10

And when you go to the store, you can buy a weeks worth of groceries instead of 4 burgers.

It is funny to hear Democrats defend McDonalds though. Keep it up.

"Corporations are evil, but, but, but, poor people deserve to eat shitty fast food!"

What a bunch of clowns.

ShawnD1
09-07-2011, 09:16 PM

If I were poor, I wouldn't own a car. I would take the bus. Using a bus pas I already own = free. The bus pass is not free, but I need that to get to work, so that shouldn't count as food budget.

alkemyst
09-07-2011, 09:20 PM

You also don't just drive to the grocery store to make 4 cheeseburgers as a pauper.

bfdd
09-07-2011, 09:22 PM

you do realize fat is the shit i want right? why do you buy kobe beef? because it's so damn marbled, that's fat. also, you can buy the shitty patties you just don't know where to look. ever shop at a food 4 less? you know the place where you bag your own groceries so they can pass savings on to you.

i walk to the grocery store, unless i'm going to an asian market. i bought a cart for 20 bucks

xj0hnx
09-07-2011, 09:26 PM

This is just lolecious

It is funny to hear Democrats defend McDonalds though. Keep it up.

"Corporations are evil, but, but, but, poor people deserve to eat shitty fast food!"

What a bunch of clowns.

Dude, even poor people are entitled to eat fast food, how can you be so cruel as to think that people on the public dime shouldn't be afforded all the luxuries that other people have to work for, you heartless racist you.

VirtualLarry
09-07-2011, 09:29 PM

Who didn't graduate high school again?

Vegetables have plenty of essential nutrients in them. To say that they have no nutritional value, by equating calorie content with nutrition, is absurd, to say the least.

Does that mean that twinkies, have a high nutritional value, in your mind, because they have a high calorie content?

Not to mention, today's American diet is FAR too high in fats and calories.

The "Paleo Diet" is being recommended more and more, with small amounts of lean meat, and PLENTY of veggies to go along with it.

Don't worry, I don't blame you for your ignorance, I blame your liberal education/brainwashing.

Howard
09-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Not to mention, today's American diet is FAR too high in sugar and calories.
fixed

sleep
09-07-2011, 09:40 PM
enough of this small racist remarks.

the title taco bell and kfc, is already racist....go figure.

white nasty people eat there all the time, thinking they own the court.

bfdd
09-07-2011, 09:44 PM
fixed

this really really needs to be stressed. it is NOT FAT THAT MAKES YOU FAT, your body fucking burns fat no problems. it's goddamn sugars.

xj0hnx
09-07-2011, 09:44 PM
enough of this small racist remarks.

the title taco bell and kfc, is already racist....go figure.

white nasty people eat there all the time, thinking they own the court.

Usually closet racist are the ones that see racism in everything.

sleep
09-07-2011, 09:45 PM
i am racist, but the only one against them.

xj0hnx
09-07-2011, 09:47 PM
i am racist, but the only one against them.

Did you mean "but not the only one against them"?

VirtualLarry
09-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Most poor people don't pay their own electricity and gas bills. They're heavily subsidized. It's always pissed me off cause they always run their AC, 24/7, because they know they don't have to pay for it. But I run it less than 2 hrs/day averaged over the summer because it's fucking expensive.
Tell me about it. My electric bill the last two months was nearly $150 a month. And I'm on a limited income.
Food stamps do come in handy in a pinch. I get under $20/mo on FS. I generally don't use them at all, unless I'm out of cash, and hungry, and don't have an alternative food source. Otherwise, I let my balance build up. Who knows, in 4-6 months, it might add up enough to cover one trip to the grocery store.

BoberFett
09-07-2011, 10:09 PM
You also don't just drive to the grocery store to make 4 cheeseburgers as a pauper.

Actually they probably would. As has been said many times, poor people are poor for a reason...

BoberFett
09-07-2011, 10:10 PM
this really really needs to be stressed. it is NOT FAT THAT MAKES YOU FAT, your body fucking burns fat no problems. it's goddamn sugars.

And there's tons of sugar in fast food, that's why it tastes so "good."

(Again, not blasting you, just adding on to your point. ;) )

BoberFett
09-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Who didn't graduate high school again?

Vegetables have plenty of essential nutrients in them. To say that they have no nutritional value, by equating calorie content with nutrition, is absurd, to say the least.

Does that mean that twinkies, have a high nutritional value, in your mind, because they have a high calorie content?

Not to mention, today's American diet is FAR too high in fats and calories.

The "Paleo Diet" is being recommended more and more, with small amounts of lean meat, and PLENTY of veggies to go along with it.

Don't worry, I don't blame you for your ignorance, I blame your liberal education/brainwashing.

:thumbsup:

Shawn is another clown. Sometimes I think he might just be trying to get a rise out of people, other times I think he really believes what he's saying.

Zebo
09-07-2011, 10:29 PM
People are dumb is why they are poor. I could eat for 30 days for $40 or 4 trips to KFC or 1 trip to roadhouse steakhouse.

bfdd
09-07-2011, 11:31 PM
And there's tons of sugar in fast food, that's why it tastes so "good."

(Again, not blasting you, just adding on to your point. ;) )

yup, all that high fructose corn syrup 48oz drinks mm boy.

drebo
09-07-2011, 11:37 PM
yup, all that high fructose corn syrup 48oz drinks mm boy.

That's why I drink diet. Aspertame is poison!

If I kill myself, I won't have to wait until the communist cleansings.

Svnla
09-07-2011, 11:46 PM
People are dumb is why they are poor. I could eat for 30 days for $40 or 4 trips to KFC or 1 trip to roadhouse steakhouse.

How are you going to eat for a little over $1 a day ($1.33 to be exact)? And no, I don't think ramen noodles for a whole month will do.

drebo
09-07-2011, 11:57 PM
How are you going to eat for a little over $1 a day ($1.33 to be exact)? And no, I don't think ramen noodles for a whole month will do.

It's not hard when you make things in bulk and eat leftovers.

For instance, a lasagna costs about $7 to make and should provide 10 servings. A pot roast or thing of chili, again, should provide at least 10 servings and is very, very cheap. $40 may be stretching it, but $80 should give you 90 meals easily, as long as your portion sizes aren't ridiculous.

No one's saying it's going to be tasty or full of variety, but it's certainly possible.

bfdd
09-08-2011, 12:05 AM

you'd be surprised how fucking cheap you can make food. we fed 3 people for 4 dollars last night. pork, fish, noodles, miso soup w/ tofu.

cubby1223
09-08-2011, 03:06 AM
This is what I see in this whole argument...

Who cares what they spend food stamps on? All food stamps is, is wealth redistribution. If you don't like the choices these people make, then stop voting for politicians who take your money and give it to them. But once the wealth is already transferred, you really don't have any control, any say-so in the matter.

Hacp
09-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Vegetable oil is 4000 calories per dollar. So for 15 dollars, we can feed a grown man every month. For 54 billion dollars a year,we can feed everyone in the US. No one shall go hungry again.

alkemyst
09-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Vegetable oil is 4000 calories per dollar. So for 15 dollars, we can feed a grown man every month. For 54 billion dollars a year,we can feed everyone in the US. No one shall go hungry again.

Damn son, in a single post on ATP&N you just solved world hunger.

I recommend you for the Nobel Prize every year for eternity.

Modelworks
09-08-2011, 09:37 AM
If I were poor, I wouldn't own a car. I would take the bus. Using a bus pas I already own = free. The bus pass is not free, but I need that to get to work, so that shouldn't count as food budget.

I don't own a car because when I went looking for a place to live I chose places close to stores. I just got back walking back from the grocery store carrying 40lbs of groceries. It is only about .6 miles each way so not too bad. And it keeps me from buying too much :)

When you have to carry the food home it really makes you think in store if you really want to buy it .

Thump553
09-08-2011, 09:43 AM
This is what I see in this whole argument...

Who cares what they spend food stamps on? All food stamps is, is wealth redistribution. If you don't like the choices these people make, then stop voting for politicians who take your money and give it to them. But once the wealth is already transferred, you really don't have any control, any say-so in the matter.

The false premise you base your entire argument upon is "All food stamps is, is wealth distribution." The food stamp program has two major (and complementary) purposes-eliminate (real) hunger in America and drive up demand for America's farm products (ie, a disguised farm subsidy). The food stamp program is replete with regulations and restrictions as to how they can be used, with crimminal sanctions for violators (both the recipient and the store).

IMO people are getting far too worked up about this here and wasting their energy. It is a proposal from Yum Foods rather nakedly designed to drive up demand for their products. It is a dumb idea IMO. If you don't like the proposal write your Congressman and/or the appropriate governmental agency. Don't just bitch about it as if it is already a fact, because it is not.

xj0hnx
09-08-2011, 09:49 AM
The food stamp program is replete with regulations and restrictions as to how they can be used, with crimminal sanctions for violators (both the recipient and the store).

That don't do jack shit to keep them from being abused in excess. In SF in the Tenderloin you could get .80 cents on the dollar literally right out side of place where you pick them up, the line was almost as long to sell them as it was to collect them. Now expensive fast food wants to get in on the free government money, and it is a fact that some fast food places already accept them.

ShawnD1
09-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Um yes? They're also excellent diet food.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

you do realize fat is the shit i want right?
Fat is what poor people want. The expensive steaks like t-bone and sirloin are the most lean cuts on the animal. Lean ground beef is more expensive than "regular" (shitty) ground beef.

bfdd
09-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Um yes? They're also excellent diet food.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Fat is what poor people want. The expensive steaks like t-bone and sirloin are the most lean cuts on the animal. Lean ground beef is more expensive than "regular" (shitty) ground beef.

lols this is a joke. fat is the most delicious thing ever. this is why butter tastes so f'n good, just being butter. a t-bone or a sirlion that is not marbled is SHIT, why would you eat it? ShawnD1 you really have no clue wtf you're talking about. you do know the brain needs fat right? you know there are studies going on linking low fat diets to the rise of ADD/ADHD? nah whatevs, keep chalking up that low fat diet, lols. it only hasn't worked for the last 30 years.

ShawnD1
09-08-2011, 11:40 AM
lols this is a joke. fat is the most delicious thing ever. this is why butter tastes so f'n good, just being butter. a t-bone or a sirlion that is not marbled is SHIT, why would you eat it? ShawnD1 you really have no clue wtf you're talking about. you do know the brain needs fat right? you know there are studies going on linking low fat diets to the rise of ADD/ADHD? nah whatevs, keep chalking up that low fat diet, lols. it only hasn't worked for the last 30 years.
You're right fat is good. This is why pork (high fat) tastes better than beef (low fat), right? Everyone knows that only poor people eat beef and only the richest people eat pork :rolleyes:

Too bad that's the other way around. You won't be able to convince a single person on the planet that fat piece of shit pigs taste better than bovine.

bfdd
09-08-2011, 11:44 AM
You're right fat is good. This is why pork (high fat) tastes better than beef (low fat), right? Everyone knows that only poor people eat beef and only the richest people eat pork :rolleyes:

Too bad that's the other way around. You won't be able to convince a single person on the planet that fat piece of shit pigs taste better than bovine.

uh... where are you buying high fat pork? we haven't had high fat pork in the states in forever. all the idiots demanding low fat products caused farmers to shape the pig into an incredibly lean animal. Seriously ShawnD1 it's like I'm talking to a 5 year old. Also, pigs do taste better than bovine you fucking dumbtwat. Why do you think bacon is so godly? FAT! fucking such a stupid asshole you are right now.

Thump553
09-08-2011, 11:45 AM
I must be from a different planet as I greatly prefer pork to beef. Modern American hogs (say 1970 or later) have been bred so they are amazingly lean. About the only truely fatty cut left is bacon.

ElFenix
09-08-2011, 11:47 AM
lols this is a joke. fat is the most delicious thing ever. this is why butter tastes so f'n good, just being butter. a t-bone or a sirlion that is not marbled is SHIT, why would you eat it? ShawnD1 you really have no clue wtf you're talking about.

uh, top sirloin is listed by the USDA as an extra lean cut, and tenderloin, t-bone, and strip steaks are listed as lean cuts. those are 4 of the 5 main steaks right there (ribeye is the 5th). there isn't much fat in them. tenderloin is a fairly flavorless cut of beef because there is so little fat. even a well marbled prime tenderloin has very little fat.

ShawnD1
09-08-2011, 11:52 AM
uh... where are you buying high fat pork? we haven't had high fat pork in the states in forever. all the idiots demanding low fat products caused farmers to shape the pig into an incredibly lean animal. Seriously ShawnD1 it's like I'm talking to a 5 year old. Also, pigs do taste better than bovine you fucking dumbtwat. Why do you think bacon is so godly? FAT! fucking such a stupid asshole you are right now.
Right. So all of the fine restaurants and steak houses stopped serving top sirloin and fillet mignon in favor of bacon because it tastes better. When super rich business men go out for supper, they eat bacon instead of t-bone.

Leaner is better ;)

bfdd
09-08-2011, 11:53 AM
uh, top sirloin is listed by the USDA as an extra lean cut, and tenderloin, t-bone, and strip steaks are listed as lean cuts. those are 4 of the 5 main steaks right there (ribeye is the 5th). there isn't much fat in them. tenderloin is a fairly flavorless cut of beef because there is so little fat. even a well marbled prime tenderloin has very little fat.

like i said if they aren't well marbled they are shit.

http://burgerdoctor.com/images/BD20100705-01.jpg

that right there is much tastier due to the fat marbled up inside. mmmm doesn't that look delicious?

ericlp
09-08-2011, 12:02 PM

If I had it my way they could only buy cheap meats like chicken and hamburger ... no t-bones.. and certain items like fruits and Veggie's no organic... and low end breads and NO CANDY OR POP. Just like maybe 1/4 of crap that stores sell. Make it so hard that they couldn't give away their food stamps. Most people sell them for 50% face value.

Heck! Costco and Sams club accepts them now... I figure it won't be long before McD's and BK start accepting them. Doesn't subway take EBT? I think they do. Tho I could really care less what happens.

I hate to say it, but it would be nice to shop and not have to stand in line with a bunch of tweekers with rotted out teeth waiting to check out with their EBT cards. I've come to just accept it. Heck I even thought about joining them. If they are gonna give away my tax money to just ANYONE, why can I get in on it? I think they give you up to 350 a month. That could buy a lot of primo organic food and T-bones at Costco!

spidey07
09-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Nice looking strip steaks there. VERY nice. That be prime beef right there.

bfdd
09-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Nice looking strip steaks there. VERY nice. That be prime beef right there.

should be obv, it's kobe :P

momeNt
09-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Fat just protects the tissue as it is heated and does not cause the beef to become overly broken down as it reaches safe eating temperatures.

Sous vide cooking virtually eliminates the need for fat to protect the lean tissue of the meat because it doesn't require that meat be exposed to heat greater than the temperature required to break down the tissue in order for it to cook. Internal temperatures of ~140F are reached with grills of 400F or better which needs the fat as insulation against those high temperatures.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/03/how-to-sous-vide-steak.html

Perhaps government can purchase $1,000.00 sous vide cookers for welfare folks so that they can actually eat the cheaper cuts of meat that generally are considered less flavorful because the grill just destroys their flavor and in the long run save some money and give poor folk great steak!

bfdd
09-08-2011, 12:51 PM
brain runs on cholesterol. body breaks down and uses fats better than it does carbohydrates. body produces insulin to help with carbohydrate usage, insulin is toxic in high levels. stay away from carbohydrates. easy peasy.

momeNt
09-08-2011, 01:19 PM
brain runs on cholesterol. body breaks down and uses fats better than it does carbohydrates. body produces insulin to help with carbohydrate usage, insulin is toxic in high levels. stay away from carbohydrates. easy peasy.

Where do you get that information?

Everybody thank him in advance for their hypoglycemia and the famed "Atkin's Headache".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet

Low carb diets can be credited for helping reboot the brain and cure epileptic seizures, but too much protein is bad for your body as it makes your blood toxic and can damage your kidneys.

I'm not a doctor but I think you should maybe preference your statements with like, please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet or something.

OutHouse
09-08-2011, 01:32 PM
This pisses me off...

nice post. and welcome to ATPN

96Firebird
09-08-2011, 01:45 PM
FWIW, this doesn't really matter in NYS. Here, the person just needs to stop by an ATM and withdraw the money, then go to the fast food place and pay in cash.

Such a fucked up system...

bfdd
09-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Where do you get that information?

Everybody thank him in advance for their hypoglycemia and the famed "Atkin's Headache".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet

Low carb diets can be credited for helping reboot the brain and cure epileptic seizures, but too much protein is bad for your body as it makes your blood toxic and can damage your kidneys.

I'm not a doctor but I think you should maybe preference your statements with like, please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet or something.

I'm not saying 0 carb diet, I'm saying consuming half of what they recommend on in the DV%. It's a ridiculous amount and they tell you to pull back your fat and protein. PRO TIP you feel MORE FULL eating fat than you do carbs. Since changing my diet, which my doctor knows about, I've lost 50lbs since Jan 1st and I'm in better health(minus IBS which I've had for a few years now). It also wasn't due to a ton of exercise and I didn't lose my muscle mass. I took grains and processed carbs for the most part out of my diet and I a larger % of veggie carbs than I used to, which was the main cause in dump in carbo intake because veggies aren't as carb dense as grain.

Spikesoldier
09-08-2011, 02:07 PM
FWIW, this doesn't really matter in NYS. Here, the person just needs to stop by an ATM and withdraw the money, then go to the fast food place and pay in cash.

they let you withdraw your food benefits in cash and let you get your heroin or crack? unbelievable.

96Firebird
09-08-2011, 02:09 PM
they let you withdraw your food benefits in cash and let you get your heroin or crack? unbelievable.

Yup...

http://otda.ny.gov/programs/food-stamps/

http://cityliving.whec.com/news/news/i-team-10-investigation-alcohol-being-bought-your-dime/51476

werepossum
09-08-2011, 02:43 PM

I'm conflicted about that. On the one hand, I have a right wing knee-jerk reaction against it. On the other hand, as a small government advocate I don't think government should be dictating every aspect of someone's life, even someone on food stamps, or that government will do a good job of so dictating those lives. (I suspect though that this enables addicts to a considerable extent.) Bottom line, changing food stamps to a limited WIC-style plan probably has much greater benefits than it has deficits.

bfdd
09-08-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm conflicted about that. On the one hand, I have a right wing knee-jerk reaction against it. On the other hand, as a small government advocate I don't think government should be dictating every aspect of someone's life, even someone on food stamps, or that government will do a good job of so dictating those lives. (I suspect though that this enables addicts to a considerable extent.) Bottom line, changing food stamps to a limited WIC-style plan probably has much greater benefits than it has deficits.

you can't say that werepossum. you can't have your "small gov advocate" side come out when talking about big government programs. that is illogical and i hope you can see that now. if the government is already involving themselves in your life, via feeding you, they get to choose how. if they aren't involving themselves in your life, then they have no say whatsoever.

though I agree on the WIC-style thing.

Spikesoldier
09-08-2011, 02:51 PM

small government shouldnt be throwing food at its people because nobody else would feed the degenerates.

agree with the WIC style restrictions or the nutri-loaf recommendation earlier in the thread. personally leaning towards the latter since as a kicker it would help obesity epidemic in this country, and actually give people a fucking reason to get off their ass to improve their food quality.

werepossum
09-08-2011, 03:10 PM
you can't say that werepossum. you can't have your "small gov advocate" side come out when talking about big government programs. that is illogical and i hope you can see that now. if the government is already involving themselves in your life, via feeding you, they get to choose how. if they aren't involving themselves in your life, then they have no say whatsoever.

though I agree on the WIC-style thing.
It's more conflict than logic. I can see both sides and am not swayed one way or another by either.

small government shouldnt be throwing food at its people because nobody else would feed the degenerates.

agree with the WIC style restrictions or the nutri-loaf recommendation earlier in the thread. personally leaning towards the latter since as a kicker it would help obesity epidemic in this country, and actually give people a fucking reason to get off their ass to improve their food quality.
I should not like government so small that it did not help people who cannot help themselves, whether permanently or temporarily.

I should probably say limited government rather than small government. I believe in a powerful military, Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, welfare for those unable to help themselves, unemployment insurance, well-guarded borders, and programs like WIC and food stamps; my ideal government couldn't actually be called small except by comparison to our current version.

I don't like the nutri-loaf idea at all. I think our welfare (and especially disability) policies are a mite too generous and a hell of a lot too arbitrary, and I like the idea of providing incentives both positive and negative to help get people off the public teat. But there's a point at which you begin to dehumanize people and make it less likely that they ever become productive members of society. I'd love a better dog-to-tick ratio, but not at the cost of making the ticks into predators.

bfdd
09-08-2011, 04:15 PM
no werepossum, it's not more than a conflict of logic. what you're arguing makes no sense. big government created the situation in which you want to apply small government principles. that's like trying to put the square in the circle hole when playing the shapes game.

Infohawk
09-08-2011, 04:18 PM
no werepossum, what you're arguing makes no sense.

All your posts are black and white like this. There's no reason that a government can't use free-market principles to assist its citizens.

bfdd
09-08-2011, 04:26 PM
All your posts are black and white like this. There's no reason that a government can't use free-market principles to assist its citizens.

for the government to use free market principles to assist its citizens would require the government get the fuck out of the economy. do you see that happening at all, previously, currently or in the future? never. giving people money and telling them to buy whatever the fuck they want, isn't a free market principle. why? because that money wasn't free, it was taken from others who had no choice in the matter. no free market principles involved along this route. the only principle i can see that you're confusing with free market, is just basic freedom. i happen to believe if you need to rely on others, you're no longer a free person, if the others you have to rely on are the gov, then the gov has the right to dictate how you spend OUR(govt's) money.

i'm being black and white on this, because it makes no sense. you can't apply a certain kind of logic which doesn't have any place in this context. like i said, trying to put a square through the circle when playing the shapes game.

Infohawk
09-08-2011, 04:28 PM
for the government to use free market principles to assist its citizens would require the government get the fuck out of the economy. do you see that happening at all, previously, currently or in the future? never. giving people money and telling them to buy whatever the fuck they want, isn't a free market principle. why? because that money wasn't free, it was taken from others who had no choice in the matter. no free market principles involved along this route. the only principle i can see that you're confusing with free market, is just basic freedom.

And how would you pay for the supermarket food? With other people's money. Again, it's not black and white there are shades of gray.

Deep down you just don't want to help these people eat. You're entitled to that position, but this debate is about whether fast food should be an option or not.

And you repeating "square into round holes" and "It doesn't make sense" are not actual arguments... It's just you saying "I'm right and you're wrong." Not very helpful.

bfdd
09-08-2011, 04:39 PM
And how would you pay for the supermarket food? With other people's money. Again, it's not black and white there are shades of gray.

Deep down you just don't want to help these people eat. You're entitled to that position, but this debate is about whether fast food should be an option or not.

And you repeating "square into round holes" and "It doesn't make sense" are not actual arguments... It's just you saying "I'm right and you're wrong." Not very helpful.

what do you mean I'm not making an argument? I made the f'n argument. you cannot apply small government logic to a big government program. that's a logical fallacy, like trying to put a square into a circle hole. it's just not made to work together. you're better than this Infohawk, stop being so f'n dense.

Current welfare and social programs to help the "needy" and "poor" were created to keep black and brown people down. To keep the "undesirables" out of view. You(this is anyone who wants, no one in particular) want to keep pushing these programs to "help" people? When was the last time you helped someone move, by doing ALL OF IT FOR THEM. Oh that's right, you didn't because you HELPED THEM. If you want to help people, you have to start by getting them to do things for themselves. Doing things for yourself has a snowball effect on people. One day they can't cook, next day they can make a 3 course meal. Raise their hopes on life, make them feel good about themselves, they can make their own food, cook for their family. That's fantastic. Nope you want to shit on that, fuck them they should just eat junk because they're to stupid to know better.

If people want to get Government assistance, they give up their right to have free choice in the matter. You're no longer a free person when you rely on others to survive.

Infohawk
09-08-2011, 05:51 PM
what do you mean I'm not making an argument? I made the f'n argument. you cannot apply small government logic to a big government program. that's a logical fallacy, like trying to put a square into a circle hole. it's just not made to work together. you're better than this Infohawk, stop being so f'n dense.

I'm not sure you completely understand what logical fallacies are. Speaking of being better than this, aren't you the one calling everyone dense and naive who disagrees with you?

Again, based on your post it doesn't seem like you think any food program is a good idea because it treats people like babies according to you. That's fine, but it's not really what the current discussion is about.

Darwin333
09-08-2011, 06:05 PM

Wait a minute.....

You just posted a thread in which you proposed testing basically every American that deals with the government, including drivers licenses, twice a year because of the societal cost of drug use. Yet you can see the "pros and cons" of using tax payer dollars to help, even encourage, poor people get even unhealthier and costing society FAR more than illegal drug use. Last I checked obesity is a huge problem in the US and it costs society and the .gov (medicare, medicaid, state programs, uninsured, etc) an absurd amount of money.

How in the hell can you support both of these positions, especially considering your stated reasons, with a straight face?

bfdd
09-08-2011, 07:23 PM
I'm not sure you completely understand what logical fallacies are. Speaking of being better than this, aren't you the one calling everyone dense and naive who disagrees with you?

Again, based on your post it doesn't seem like you think any food program is a good idea because it treats people like babies according to you. That's fine, but it's not really what the current discussion is about.

It doesn't treat people like babies, it encourages them to be babies. The system I'd support would actually treat people like babies, while encouraging them to be grown ups. That's the crucial difference. I also know what a fallacy is and applying a certain train of logic to something it doesn't pertain to is a fallacy.

I also don't call everyone dense for disagreeing with me. Just on things like this because it's rather obvious continuing the stupid shit we've been doing for around 50 years isn't fucking working. So to wish to continue the stupid policies or make more stupid policies means you're dumb.

SZLiao214
09-08-2011, 07:53 PM
The idea that they will be able to use food stamps is sickening. They now get to eat better then i do on an average day at work.

I understand that fast food isn't amazing or anything like that but its a lot tastier then fish head soup and boiled chicken with tomatoes.

Engineer
09-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Again for those that don't want to understand: If the government (i.e. my tax dollars) is giving away food, it should be of the WIC type in which pre-chosen foods apply to the food stamps. Nothing fancy, just basic staples (milk, cheeses, certain breads (i.e. cheap kinds), etc). I see no reason that just because we assist people with FREE food, it needs to be fancy or prepared (i.e. fast food type), period.

Take it or starve....your choice.

Infohawk
09-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Again for those that don't want to understand: If the government (i.e. my tax dollars) is giving away food, it should be of the WIC type in which pre-chosen foods apply to the food stamps. Nothing fancy, just basic staples (milk, cheeses, certain breads (i.e. cheap kinds), etc). I see no reason that just because we assist people with FREE food, it needs to be fancy or prepared (i.e. fast food type), period.

Take it or starve....your choice.

That would be fairly complicated and require a lot of government intervention in the purchasing decisions of households. Allowing people to choose what specific food they want is the fiscally conservative course of action. This is the same idea with school vouchers. Government pays, people choose. It's not very complicated.

I think a lot of conservatives are showing their true colors in this debate. They are willing to throw small government out the window if they are morally outraged about something enough.

bfdd
09-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Infohawk, no it wouldn't. It would be basics with optional educational classes to teach people how to prepare and cook their food. I can guarantee it wouldn't cost a cent more and would save money in the long run. Unless again like I said you're against helping people and more for just doing shit for them.

Engineer
09-08-2011, 08:23 PM
That would be fairly complicated and require a lot of government intervention in the purchasing decisions of households. Allowing people to choose what specific food they want is the fiscally conservative course of action. This is the same idea with school vouchers. Government pays, people choose. It's not very complicated.

I think a lot of conservatives are showing their true colors in this debate. They are willing to throw small government out the window if they are morally outraged about something enough.

WIC already works. Simply expand it to a few more choices and boom....you're done. Welfare That Works ((C) - 2011 - Engineer Inc.). Stores are already set up for WIC. Sorry, if you're getting free food....you can't be choosy....or simply starve (or go to public food bank).

Infohawk
09-08-2011, 08:26 PM
WIC already works. Simply expand it to a few more choices and boom....you're done. Welfare That Works ((C) - 2011 - Engineer Inc.). Stores are already set up for WIC. Sorry, if you're getting free food....you can't be choosy....or simply starve (or go to public food bank).

So is it fair to say you're also against school vouchers? If education is being paid for by the government, you should only get the public option. Right?

momeNt
09-08-2011, 08:27 PM
so is it fair to say you're also against school vouchers? If education is being paid for by the government, you should only get the public option. Right?

is school the same as food? Fuck!

alkemyst
09-08-2011, 08:29 PM

Welfare state, the rich are too worried the poor are going to rise up and murder them in their sleep that they are willing to put this into law.

Welfare was created on the basis that if we let these POS poor starve, they will rise up and riot.

It's the passive response to a solution best answered with oil poured off of castle walls, then debated at bit until a single fiery branch dropped.

This passiveness now has people driving around in $60k+ cars with $10k of wheels and tires and an equal amount of stereo gear. Let's not forget the current custom airbrush work being done and in the name of welfare.

Infohawk
09-08-2011, 08:30 PM
is school the same as food? Fuck!

Sounds like you're angry and you should take a break from posting...

momeNt
09-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Sounds like you're angry and you should take a break from posting...

I'm furious and I swear I typed my statement in all caps but apparently that isn't allowed.

Can't a person's statement be pertinent to just the discussion at hand and not made into large sweeping generalizations here? Is that too much to ask!

bfdd
09-08-2011, 08:49 PM
So is it fair to say you're also against school vouchers? If education is being paid for by the government, you should only get the public option. Right?

I am absolutely for school vouchers, but for different reasons. Our government has continually sucked educating our children and they are progressively getting worse due to asshole parents and dipshit teachers. Private schools, on average, spend less per student and get better results. Not to mention the stranglehold like monopoly the government has on education at the k-12 level.

But lets not forget just how vastly different comparing food and education are. Food is required to live, you need it, but you don't need tons of different kinds of foods to survive. There are basics that are needed and that's what should be supplied. The cheap, basics. How exactly would you draw a comparison to education?

Also, don't ever confuse me with some dipshit who labels himself. My parents gave me a label when I was born and it sure as fuck wasn't "conservative".

alkemyst
09-08-2011, 08:49 PM
If I had it my way they could only buy cheap meats like chicken and hamburger ... no t-bones.. and certain items like fruits and Veggie's no organic... and low end breads and NO CANDY OR POP. Just like maybe 1/4 of crap that stores sell. Make it so hard that they couldn't give away their food stamps. Most people sell them for 50% face value.

Heck! Costco and Sams club accepts them now... I figure it won't be long before McD's and BK start accepting them. Doesn't subway take EBT? I think they do. Tho I could really care less what happens.

I hate to say it, but it would be nice to shop and not have to stand in line with a bunch of tweekers with rotted out teeth waiting to check out with their EBT cards. I've come to just accept it. Heck I even thought about joining them. If they are gonna give away my tax money to just ANYONE, why can I get in on it? I think they give you up to 350 a month. That could buy a lot of primo organic food and T-bones at Costco!

With Section 8 being offered now in my neighborhood and now our first murder (yeah tweeker parties) as of this past week, it's becoming more problematic with this WIC/EBT/Food Stamp shit. Poor check out lady being told "YO BITCH, YOU BETTAH NOT BE STEPPING UP HERE YO! RING THE SHIT UP AND I DON'T REMEMBER YOU!"

I swear if I ever hit my numbers to retire and have left over (I have no kids), I am burning it all off paying people to solve that issue.

bfdd
09-09-2011, 01:52 AM
alkemyst, i've seen that happen too at the food 4 less near me.

Macamus Prime
09-09-2011, 07:27 AM
"Them thar pawr people don't know haw ta live by thar means!!!"

They will be able to buy cheaper food.

",.... DIS IS AHMURIKA!!!!!"

werepossum
09-09-2011, 05:40 PM
"Them thar pawr people don't know haw ta live by thar means!!!"

They will be able to buy cheaper food.

",.... DIS IS AHMURIKA!!!!!"
Horrible spelling doesn't make you seem as bright as you might think it does.

BoberFett
09-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Not so ironically, his spelling and diction that he intends to be a parody of his mortal enemy - the "right winger" - but he's actually making fun of the people who partake in food stamps.